Paychex

Paychex Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci

Martin Mucci

Pros:
  • "I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Expect to be putting out fires with clients as they were given unreasonable expectations/promises from the sales reps"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

ProsEverything you need to get the job done. Everyone talks to everyone!

ConsEnterprise, some legacy products still living.

A phenomenal, growing company

Manager (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsWith new leadership, the company has strong, inspiring goals and plans. Very employee focused.

ConsIt's a large company with some large company challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

So far, so good...

Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsFair pay, generous benefits, generous time off package. I've seen a lot of upward mobility in the short time I've been here. The company definitely takes the time to hire the RIGHT people for the jobs they are filling, not just any warm body off the streets. They also invest in their employees with lots of food days, snack cart, and jeans days.

ConsTraining was very high level and vague. Additional training is very learn-as-you-go, fly-by-the-seat-of-your pants. Cross-company communication isn't consistent when it comes to major changes like Healthcare Reform.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, Underpaid

Senior Payroll Specialist (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsThe training here is great, I have learned so much through their training program.
    They continuously keep you updated with payroll laws/regulations as well as micro managing.

ConsI wish I could love working at this company as in the very beginning they boast about employees who has been there for over a decade etc etc.
    REALITY CHECK:
    As a payroll specialist or a senior payroll specialist you don't just process payroll, they have failed to inform me that I have hidden job titleS with my position.
    We are not only payroll specialist we are IT technical support, 401K support, HR support, Benefits, Taxpay specialist support, billings and more. Yes we as payroll specialists with the jack of all trades within the company to all your companies.
    I was told by the core manager because I did such a good job, I will have more problematic clients reassigned to me, that's just how it works here. People who know how to work the system will deliberately do a poor job and the Supervisor will reassign the client to someone else and you will take the wrath of all negatives.
    Your raise is base on your survey cards and you are expected to receive all "A's". Even if you just got assigned to the account and the survey card is reflecting the former specialist you will take the fall for it. They LOVE TO MICRO MANAGE you, from how long you take your lunch to how long and often you go potty, I felt like I was a baby learning how to adhere to strict parenting rules.
    They have "black out" periods as to when you can and can not take leave, because people within the company has abused the leave time. I'ts usually after a holiday or when they knew it's a heavy payroll processing load day, there are still employees who manage to take leave despite these rules.
    I was unhappy and miserable here, during my 1 plus year there a number of people including myself has been rushed to the Emergency Room from work due to stress. My health was severely in danger due to the stress at this work place and I was constantly being assigned difficult clients.
    Yes they have various specialist at the HQ to "assist" the clients however regardless they will redirect the call back to the specialist and you will end up doing their work anyways. If a client is upset because you can not do things at no charge because it is the clients error, all they have to do is call the manager scream and curse and they manager will have no back bone and say ok. The management team makes you look like a bunch of idiots and they do not back you up. Micro managing however is what they are excellent in.
    They will also force you to carry out the Supervisory's job as well and will write you up if you refuse to follow through with their "assignment". There are no growth opportunities in this company, the highest position you can get is the Senior Payroll Specialist position. Until a manager quit or leaves that's the only chance you can get a promotion.
    Sales Reps are also very inconsiderate as they will walk around the office cursing on the phone even when you are on calls with clients.
    Once every quarter you will have a session of "blitz" call in which they force you to set aside 2 hours and call clients who has left the service and try to get them back on board with Paychex. Yes you are carrying out a Sales Rep job.
    When I put in my notice to leave the manager gave me this awful look and immediately ask for my resignation letter. I submitted it and I even completed the exit interview (online) and then the manager sends a non-genuine email stating "i understand you are leaving due to health issues but is there anything we can do to accommodate".
    You can not have overtime, only during year end and you need to have the ability to control traffic because you should know better when to leave to avoid accidents on I-95 to get there on time or else it is your fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites, stop piling more and more responsibilities on the PRS who are already doing so much. Be fair and be nice.

Not what it once was

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can earn a pay check and not produce.

ConsVery weak management. No idea whats going on right under their nose. No longer a good company. They need top quality management. It's been some time since you can compare them to ADP. ADP is a far superior organization on every level.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up

Okay

Payroll Specialist (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsGoing to Rochester, NY for a week for training,

ConsThe job description does not accurately state all job responsibilities, the pay is very low

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and maybe turnover won't be so high

NA

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood paying job in comparison to other companies

ConsAllow employees an exit review when going through an agency.

Not with the time

Manager (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsAble to move into positions laterally/growth. Promote from within. Cash based company so very stable employment. Company has good reputation.

ConsMicromanagement results in demotivated professionals. Management decisions regardless of input from people who are closest to the issues. Lack of trust in the workplace. Leadership by emotion instead of by facts.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. Adopt a results oriented work environment (where it makes sense to do so such as IT). Focus on doing things right the first time instead of implementing band aids that result in operational workarounds and increased risk of error.

All about being in the right place at the right timesaver far as promotions go.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay and bonus structure, fun coworkers and culture. Always a hustle and bustle, but fun at times. Work life balance was good.

ConsAll reps in district paid same even though some have many varying economic conditions. Lots of sales reps take advantage of open culture and spend the afternoons at the pool while others are trying to make an honest living.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage reps better and promote based on performance and growth not someone being in the right place at the right time.

Don't believe management

HRS Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork day freedom. Status of position. Professional atmosphere. Lots of free lunches.

ConsPay sucks. It's not what they promise in interview. Expect $20,000 average in commission plus salary. There are some that make a lot more. Potential is there if you are in a unique area and have phenomenal internal referring partners. Most areas are saturated and most partners are selfish and never do top down selling to refer you into a sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about your bonus and worry about your teams. The Bonus will be there if you help your team as a whole.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paychex CEO Martin Mucci. All 584 reviews posted anonymously by Paychex employees.