Paychex

Paychex Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci

Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month(in 38 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best(in 27 reviews)

Don't believe management

HRS Sales Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork day freedom. Status of position. Professional atmosphere. Lots of free lunches.

ConsPay sucks. It's not what they promise in interview. Expect $20,000 average in commission plus salary. There are some that make a lot more. Potential is there if you are in a unique area and have phenomenal internal referring partners. Most areas are saturated and most partners are selfish and never do top down selling to refer you into a sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about your bonus and worry about your teams. The Bonus will be there if you help your team as a whole.

Great Training, Great Incentives, ...TERRITORY MATTERS!

Core Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Pros*The 4 tier training is excellent. Paychex equips you with skills and industry/product/service knowledge right away so you don't feel like you're thrown out in the water and left to tread.
    *High earning potential is certainly there
    *Incentives constantly provided to increase activity and monthly sales. On top of higher commission multipliers, Paychex incentivizes with target bonuses, trips, expensed dinner/events
    *Payroll specialists support team is excellent from my experience and do all they can to prevent chargebacks

ConsQuotas/goals can be unrealistic
    Quotas/goals in a rural territory can be the same for quotas/goals in a metropolitan area, which seems ridiculous and is
    Your personal vehicle will be put through the ringer. Depending on territory, you will put MANY miles and wear/tear on your car
    It's an industry with many competitors and usually the deal depends on how low you can go in price for the prospect. Selling on value is ideal, but unrealistic in most cases

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better market research in territories and restructure quotas. Listen to reps' concerns and genuinely try to address them, as we are the one's in the field on a day to day basis.

Turn Over City

Territory Representative (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsAutonomy, flexibility in schedule, very little travel it's all local

ConsHorrible management & payroll processing by the specialists here. Crazy turn over of all staff, revolving door

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate better across the board so that payroll specialists will actually enjoy what they do and reps can really sell the service we tell our clients we are selling!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosgreat work/life balance, great benefits

Conspay is on the lower end of market

Advice to Senior Managementshare some profits

Good Company to work for

ProsGreat working environment, pretty much no complaints

ConsPay - Company does not pay employees enough otherwise i would work my entire career there

Excellent entry level sales position

Core Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsPhenomenal sales training. Fun, enjoyable job when you are hitting your number.

ConsSolid performers can make a good living, but compensation plan is a little lower than competitors'.

Ethical, innovative, and supportive company.

Payroll Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat supervisor team. Great co-workers. Pretty good benefits and quality of benefits. Generous time off for new employees. Debt free company. Secure job environment and job security. Provides tons of new hire, on the job, and continuing training. This company really places and emphasis on investing in it's employees through the generous benefits and on going training. Nice to have meetings every week so everyone is on the same page. Our relationship and policies allow us to succeed with our clients. I hope to be here for a while. Everyone is great in the office full of respect, professionalism, and kindness. The team is very supportive and no one is out to get you. The compensation is mediocre based on my hourly wage alone, but when you look at the whole picture or "total reward" the compensation is fairly good. I love how our branch manager frequently sends everyone emails when a new job posting happens.

ConsTough work load for payroll operations. I wish we weren't on the phones as much. I love calling out to my client, but i don't like receiving calls as you never know what you are going to get. I wish supervisors had more time to spend with personnel development, but they also have their own tasks that have to be done as well as a select few clients that they deal with directly. It is tough to facilitate time off, as when I get back I often spend half the day following up with co-workers, emails, and faxes. I rather just take a day or two off and make a long weekend, rather than taking a whole week off. I feel if I did that I would be overwhelmed with what I came back to, but maybe that is because I haven't even been there a year yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with your training efforts. Continue putting employees first. Continue looking into pay and benefits that provide a greater reward for our hard work. I am blessed with a kind, sincere, and funny manager, but i'm sure everyone is not. I hope I always have a manager that is personable and doesn't feel as if they are higher than everyone else. My current manager is not like this at all and I hope if managers change we get someone just as good as him. I also wish our workload was more balanced, not super busy one time, and then slow other times.

Overall a good experience

ProsFinally catching up with technology - very employee friendly and you can make your career whatever you want it to be

ConsToo many changes coming all at once - makes it hard to keep up with the already overwhelming workload

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting more work on the staff. Increasing clients per specialist every year is getting to be too much

Nepotism and favortism are at a level here that is almost frightening

Account Executive (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsExcept for the training, there really is nothing good to say about Paychex.

ConsI was hired in LA to work in one location. I was told, after I gave my notice to my previous employer, that I would be working in another city that added two hours to my commute, which probably would have made me turn down the offer. Favortism and nepotism run RAMPANT. If you apply randomly online, and are not drawn into the company from a higher up, then expect a crummy territory with ZERO help. Others, who are "in" will receive ALL the leads that come in from the internet, and management will use some lame excuse to take it from you, and give to a crony, even if its in your territory. So, your sales skills really mean NOTHING here as far as how well you will succeed. The SAME EXACT people go to their Prez Clubs each and every year. And, no matter your territory or how long you've been there, your quota as a new rep will be the same as a 10 time Prez Club winner. My manager was the absolute worst I have EVER had, and I have been doing sales for over twenty years.... Again, unless a higher up gives a recommendation and pulls you in... STAY AWAY!!!!! OH, and if you're over 30.... STAY AWAY!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get an MBA and learn how to effectively manage complex and diverse workgroups...

Impossible Work Load and Low Pay and High Turnover

Payroll Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsIt is an entry level position company.

ConsExpectations to manage over 500 clients, this means 110 calls a day, in between these calls you must take branch call in payrolls. The pace is non stop. Most new hires go back to prior jobs to escape after the first month. The calls are only half of your job somehow you have to find time to do the rest of your work while you are entering payroll and not make errors. Your scored in a way that everything is against you, if you do your work you lower one metric if you don't clients give you a B on your surveys and B's are treated as a F. Your scripted and monitored, if your client is in a rush you are held accountable for a poor call. If you have to fix another persons mistake the error is held against your performance scores. Pay is very low and annual raises are a joke, often under twenty five cents.

Run unless you are desperate!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees and pay a living wage. The issues are systemic coming from way up high. Management admits the work environment is poor and management admits openly that they are not interested in resolving the issues; As a result turn over is high. In the words of George Orwell inside Paychex everything is double plus good.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!