Paychex Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated July 8, 2014
3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 46 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful experience in sales at Paychex

Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Definitely depends on the office, but in Irving (Dallas) the managers are hands down, amazing and very eager to help and truly want you to succeed. Plus, this office was a "mega branch" and produced 4-5 times as much as other branches, so I guess we got away with more :)
    -Flexible schedule, its outside sales.
    -Very friendly atmosphere, and peers that always help each other.
    -Great way of life if you simply do your job and work hard. Three of the coworkers on my team were working Moms and made a VERY comfortable lifestyle. If you simply hit your goals you should bring in 60-80 OTE. If you go over and beyond to hit the annual sales incentive trip, you bring in much more (stress though is at an all time high, but its worth it)!
    -Monthly celebrations when your team has a successful month
    -Great, great benefits. Medical, dental, vision, 401k.
    -Vacation is rolled over every year and adds up if its not used...woo hoo! I cashed all my vacay in when I left.
    -Managers very lenient on PTO
    -Paychex on your resume looks great

Cons

-If you have little to no sales experience you usually start out as a TRR (territory ready rep) and you split each sale with the designated rep for that territory. Getting half commission sucks, but after a year you learn all of the ropes and are very thankful for being promoted to manage your own territory.
    -Sales is tough in itself, but I also believe some of your success depends on the territory you are given. After becoming a full rep I started out with a few zip codes around the city, and was also given an "expansion territory" an hour and a half south of my normal zip codes. This expansion territory, along with others, was very tough to grow. Only a few sales came out of it...so thankfully after 2 years Paychex accepted that the territories far away just weren't worth the time/money/energy to manage and stuck with the general metroplex zip codes to assign.
    -Negatives. Negative sales suck SO bad. If you bring on a client and they do not process enough payrolls to be profitable to Paychex, you get negative commission. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can sweet talk the clients out of quitting early and changing their mind...BUT sometimes negatives cannot be avoided because of business partners splitting ways, other problems, etc and there is literally nothing you can do. Negatives only happen about 2-3 times a year, but no one ever wants them!
    -The only other potential con are the partners you work with. You have partners for 401k, benefits and other "add-ons" to payroll to help you win a sale. Some partners are awesome and help you close the deal (which is the goal, duh!) and some partners just. are. not. great. people. They think their business is more important than yours and don't go out of their way to make the appointments you set, but yet they hound you to take them on lunches with your CPAs (CPAs are Paychex's biggest referral source, and only Core Sales gets to call on them) and then they "take over" the appointment if you let them. You can't let this happen, and must communicate with the partners that you do feel are overpowering and tell them straight-up what you want.

I loved my experience with Paychex, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I made a great life there, amazing friends, built my resume up so much...I only left because I was moving and would've had to start all over in sales in another office. BUT it would be so helpful if Paychex implemented residuals. Unparalleled customer service is something Paychex was founded upon, so why not reward us for keeping a client past 3 months? It's in our best interest to keep the clients because that's how I received many of my referrals, but it would be nice to get an extra incentive. Even just a small amount!

My experience at Paychex has been an incredible and mostly fulfilling journey.

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist III in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist III in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paychex is a company of high integrity that focuses on its clients' AND its employees' best interests. Paychex is always in the 'best companies to work for' and spends a lot of time and effort in training its employees to be the best in the business for its clients. Paychex offers great benefits to its employees and is branching into remote/work from home option for its employees.

Cons

Although I consider Paychex to be the ' top of the heap' when it comes to Payroll/HR service providers, not only to their clients, but to their employees as well, I feel that the employees promoted to management positions are not always qualified and are not monitored in their daily activities to ensure that their 'direct-reports' are being treated fairly. The problem solving procedure that Paychex has in place is not being followed properly when there are concerns brought to the management.

HR needs to be more involved with the high turnover rate that some of the branches/hubs are experiencing. There is a reason that employees are leaving certain branches at an incredible rate. Part of it has to do with certain manager's treatment of employees.

DONT WORK HERE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex

Pros

This review is specifically for the Dallas-Irving Branch. Let it be known: The 3 star rating on the compensation/benefits section is for the benefit package ONLY! Definitely not for the compensation.

This is honestly the worst company I have ever worked for for the following reasons. First off, they reel you in with high hopes and golden standards that they have a great training program. in all reality, what you learn on your all paid trip to Rochester NY is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in comparison to what you will have to do when you return. There is no planned support structure for how to train its employees when you return from school. The expected way of learning is a "scavenger hunt" style of training. you have to find whoever is the least busy and willing to help you on, sometimes, very complex issues. from technical support to tax issues. Clients always have different representatives because the turnover runs rampant thru the center The client service reps have a "idc" mentality b/c you cant get fired and the pay is too low. The supervision is a complete joke. you have supervisors "leading" who have corporate complaints and no clue as how to lead a team. When I say everyone is miserable...I mean everyone. I honestly would recommend this job to anyone, not even my worst enemy. the only way I would recommend this job is if someone was absolutely desperate for work or if someone needed some decent benefits. Management seems to blame the turnover on "b/c the job is difficult to learn". uhm, no that is not it. it is the lack of support, horrible attitudes from superiors/co workers, and getting the load of work you are supposed to do, and realizing that you are truly not being compensated fairly to teach others how to use a system and they are making three times a much as what we make. Until there are some radical changes made in pay and leadership, the diseased turnover will continue to run rampant.

Cons

everything is negative about working here

Be honest, pay more! invest more time/money in ongoing training so that you can stop exhausting resources on hiring more people to replace those that flee!

Work too hard for little to no rewards

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

People you work with can be great. The culture is well. Very flexible & understands your needs outside work/home life. Great exposure to payroll, tax laws, multi-state, etc...401k is good, they are good on promoting health, & allow jeans once a week

Cons

No backing from management, no overtime allowed so 55+ hours of work is packed into 40 hours. Too many responsibilities are placed on specialis with unrealistic deadlines, too lenient on employees who abuse calling in or coming in late/lots of people abuse fmla, compensation is insulting & there are no incentives except a high five or dollar store candy, communication between departments needs much improvement, most of the supervisors don't really no payroll so you're left to finding resources online in order to help your clients, they play FAVORITES here & quick to promote them while all others get left behind, nothing to look forward to regarding professional growth

While focusing on your financial goals, why not look at your branches that are suffering and have been for quite some time now. Instead of sweeping problems under a rug, listen to what specialist are telling you what's wrong and actually address it. The turnover will continue to be high as long as you ignore our cries for help.

Horrible- we called it PayHell if that's any indication

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You could move up in pay somewhat quickly. The people that I met were GREAT, I made some lifelong friends.

Cons

Very stressful most people that worked there had about 100 clients and would also have to answer calls in the queue. They would go back on their word when it came to promotions, I knew people that were promoted and made less in that position than people that were hired off the street because apparently there is a rule that no one is allowed more than a dollar increase. So going from Data Entry where the pay was $11 people were only allowed to go to $12 when outsiders that were hired made $13 to $14. Most people I knew were on anti-anxiety medication that was prescribed to them after working at PayChex.

Hire more people so that there is not such a high client to rep ratio. That would help with morale with the reps on the Major Market Services side.

Client Service Rep

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people work there and the staff is great

Cons

Disorganized. To many clients and not enough hours to get the job done

Get some structure

management views everyone as easily replaced

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

great training program which is well known so looks great on resume. very recruitable

Cons

job threatened at all times even when hitting quota which is not attainable. change management and comp plan frequently without warning. stress level doesn't match pay level. time off not allowed.

Mediocre with challenges from management

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Flexibility with schedule and good commission structure

Cons

Management changes and lack of feedback or direction from upper management

Provide feedback and direction

A Decent Company That's Gotten A Little Sidetracked

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The job is highly detail oriented, but they provide you with the tools to do the job. There is a very good training program and the company is very loyal to it's employees. You do get a lot of feedback on your work and as a general rule everyone wants to see you succeed.

Cons

While it seems like there's always an open position, it feels very difficult to move ahead in the company. Promotions are often based on tenure and/or popularity. If there are specific reasons you were passed over they aren't really explained to you. Management in general seems to want to succeed, but they all have very different ideas about how to achieve it. Also, there is a lack of uniformity among the branches. Each is run almost like an individual fiefdom.

Listen to employees and offer promotions and rewards based on performance instead of just tenure, or at the very least make it more obvious that's what you're doing. Try to take more of what works from other branches and incorporate it into all branches. Try to focus more on cross training and specialization. While it's great for everyone to learn about every aspect of the job, it's impossible for one person to be a SME on everything. Specialization allows for highly focused work while cross training can aid in out of the box thinking.

So much better out there, with better pay!

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Great place to get training for later use with a different company.

Cons

You are promised so much when you first start, then you get there and it's all down hill. It is very hard, stressful and you are very under appreciated for the work you. A very demanding job with pay that does not compare to the others in the same line of business.High standards, if you like double standards. You are only promoted if you are well liked, not by the work you do. The policies are all to supervisor and manager discrection, so be careful if you are not in the "in crowd". Not open to suggestions from employees, they only act like they care about what you think.

You should listen to what your employees suggest and take action on that, not what you think is the best decsion. We are the ones that keep this company going by our customer service, you are there to manage it, not control it. You should get out on the floor and know what the job is at all times, not sit in your office and look at the numbers all day. There is so much more to Paychex than the numbers, there are real people busting their tale off to do a good job and you still demand more of them. You should be helping to make sure that everyone has the resources that are needed for them, not just look at what they are doing wrong. Take a step back and look, maybe it is not the lower level employees doing wrong, but the upper management.