Paychex Insurance Agency

Great place for entry-level

Current Employee - Agency Specialist
    Current Employee - Agency Specialist

I have been working at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great place to launch your career; positive work environment and competitive benefits. Plenty of support if it's sought out.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for advancement. It can be difficult to chart a career path when there aren't a lot of available resources.

Need prior experience to succeed

Former Employee - Health & Benefits Sales Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Health & Benefits Sales Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex Insurance Agency

Pros

Potential to make a great Income. Very nice work/life balance. Good position for someone that already has experience with health and ancillary sales. Department is filled with other reps that will not hesitate to offer you assistance in times of need.

Cons

They hire candidates with no experience and don't really provide the support needed to succeed. No in depth training on paychex admin that can make or break a sale. Markets vary significantly for each employees territories, so managers are not able to provide much assistance. The employees that succeed are provided support, while reps that are struggling slip through the cracks.

If you are going to hire people with absolutely no insurance experience you need to provide the support and tools needed to become an expert.

Great starting place, great experience.

I worked at Paychex Insurance Agency

Pros

The training is extremely thorough. The partnering you'll do with reps from other divisions, (payroll, 401K, HR) is very helpful and you'll work with some very good people.
    When I was hired my manager said, "You'll probably stay here 2-3 years and then roll this over into something better. Recruiters and hiring managers love seeing Paychex on a résumé."

And he was absolutely correct.

I would recommend anyone work here for a while for specifically these reasons. Especially if you're under 35.

Cons

The numbers you are required to hit each month are pretty high. To continue to hit them month after month eventually becomes impossible which is part of the reason they have fairly high turnover.
    From when I began 85% of the people in my division left.

The numbers are too high which is why the turnover is as high as it is.

Growing Division of an Industry Leader. Great for the right Salesperson

I have been working at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I sought out Paychex as an employer based on what I heard from people that worked here in the past and I wasn't let down. There's a lot of effort invested in the training, development and retention of the employees.

Pros for Group Health sales:
    -You have a massive base of current payroll customers to call. Service does a good job so they're typically happy to give you time.
    -As a payroll provider, there's benefits to a customer that carriers/brokers don't offer. Value to offer past price
    -Clear lines between divisions and territories. Partnership is encouraged and rewarded. Not much stepping on toes and there's $ incentive to bring up other products. If you build good relationships there's also plenty of incentive for other reps to send business your way.
    -Positive environment. Contests, incentives, quota is fair etc.

Cons

It's a cooperative sales environment but its still a corporate sales position. Quota driven and more structure than if you were running your own agency.
    With the focus on training and employee engagement, you have to want to be trained and engaged. I wouldn't recommend to someone that wasn't prepared to be engaged with a team.

Good company, sometimes tough to get through the office politics

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Paychex Insurance Agency

Pros

Very strong and stable company. Job security is there as long as you continue to perform against your expectations.

Cons

Long term leaders are not always the most knowledgeable and strongly resist change or input from others.

Expand communications, inform the work force on why certain changes might be happening.

Managed by a bunch of idiots

I have been working at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You don't need to be very experienced to get a job here. As a matter of fact, you would get the job easier if you don't have much insurance experience. The key to this job is to become good friends with your manager and try to get a good territory. If you don't happen to get a good territory, and you are willing to wait it out, you'll get your chance because there's a lot of turnover.

Cons

Poor pay, no advancement opportunities, being surrounded by middle management who hate their jobs but don't have the ability or the desire to go elsewhere. There's no diversity, but a huge amount of nepotism.

Upper management need to open your eyes and figure out why the business model doesn't work and spend some money to hire some experienced, smart people and clean house.

Good company, good benefits, decent pay

Former Employee - Agency Client Implementation Coordinator in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Agency Client Implementation Coordinator in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, training is decent, pay is decent, hours aren't bad, health ins and other benefits are very reasonably priced and better than most places, vacation time is good

Cons

Constant changes in health care industry and reform make the job hard to deal with sometimes, things change all the time with procedures and the systems. The Sales organization dictates everything and Sales leadership isn't firm on making the sales reps do their part so we could do ours.

Enjoyed my time there but top reps continue to leave based on compensation and how agency is run.

Former Employee - Health & Benefits Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Health & Benefits Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Someone can get hired with little to no insurance experience. Great training ground for someone who wants to get into group insurance businessn

Cons

Paychex PEO is in direct competition with Paychex Insurance agency reps. Paychex wins either way but not healthy environment for reps.
    Account management team is primarily based in Rochester. No local support for clients with 30 lives or less on insurance. Large Market Account reps cover multiple major cities due to lack of recruiter and staffing for Account managers.

Poor leadership at all levels. District, Regional, and Director level. Stop running the agency like a payroll company and run it like an insurance agency.

The New Kodak of the Younger Generation

Current Employee - Paychex Agency Insurance Specialist
    Current Employee - Paychex Agency Insurance Specialist

I have been working at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good starting point, offers a lot of training opportunity and undergrad/grad school reimbursment

Cons

Every job seems to be very specific. The people I sit around I have no idea what they do

Solid sales job

Former Employee - Health & Benefits Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Health & Benefits Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Paychex Insurance Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, made a lot of friends.

Cons

Certain CEO hired around the end of 2010, 2011 had no idea what he was doing. Paychex quickly figured that out, he's gone now.

Go back to the hunter sales rep hiring strategy