Paychex Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 39 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company. Cares about employee's and Clients.

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Great Work Life Balance. Good Pay.

Cons

Upper Sales management leaves a lot to be desired.

Best job and Manager I’ve ever had.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Here is the bottom line: Working at Paychex is the best job I’ve ever had. Outstanding solution offered to businesses. And I feel extremely valued as an employee.

As a sales consultant for my LA team, I have an excellent territory and enjoy a lot of autonomy to run my business. My greatest resources have proven to be my manager and fellow teammates. In my 10 years of being in the workforce, I have never had a manager who was more supportive of my professional and personal growth and development. Previous success as a salesmen doesn’t always correlate with efficacy as a manager, but in this case, my manager is talented at both and I have been impressed by how he is consistently able to tailor his management style in a way that caters to the individual personalities, strengths, and challenges of each of his employees. Additionally, the culture on our team is based around helping one another, and as a new rep I did end up leaning on the more tenured reps on our team to help me better understand many of our internal processes.

There is a great benefit and 401K offering and my manager is a huge supporter of work-life balance. I have been with Paychex now for almost a full year and based on my conversations with my colleagues who have been here for 5+ years, it’s never been a more exciting time to sell for the company. As long as you do the work and don’t slack off, you’ll excel.

Cons

Not a huge Con, but once you’ve made a sale, the paperwork process can be rather tedious and communication between operations and sales is not always the best. This is really my only frustration about working here.

Relating back to the “Con” above, it would be great to get more formal support on the paperwork part of things, which of course isn’t as exciting for management as being out in the field selling, but is just as critical to the job as being able to win a deal. The training on paperwork at Corporate in Rochester, NY isn’t enough for a new rep to be set up for submitting new loads to Operations, and reps will experience increased efficiency if management can be a bit more proactive about providing ongoing assistance to new reps in this area.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing work-life balance. You get out of this job what you put in. Training is top notch and management is incredibly supportive. Company has great reputation which makes selling their service easier. Opportunity for leadership and management roles. Great benefits package and PTO flexibility.

Cons

Busiest time of year is November through January which makes enjoying the holidays tougher.

Keep investing in your sales reps so your top reps stay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've never worked for a company with more incentives.

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative

I have been working at Paychex full-time for less than a year

Pros

The rewards for succeeding in this company are by far better than I have seen anywhere else.

Cons

Very stressful and put in lots of extra hours.

Great at selling job potential, but not true

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, never lay off people, good benefits

Cons

Very rigid, promotions political, cap hourly wages, increases are also capped, very limited chance for advancement, experience depends on immediate supervisor, management will always back them up regardless. Raises dependent on things outside of your control and specialists are supposed to make up fro all the blunders of other departments. They look for quantity not quality.

the push for quantity greatly compromises the quality of the service. Evaluate the specialist fairly and you will reduce your turnover.

Depend on the branch. Some are great, others horrible.

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits. Great co workers and events.

Cons

Untrained Managers who do not know the product or how to guide you within the software.

Stop "managing" and start doing.

Nothing works at Paychex!

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Providence, RI

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The DSM's are great to work with. They are trying to change the culture but need to get rid of the old staff in order to do that.

Cons

Implementation screwed up every deal I sold to the point the client left and went back to original provider. The products only half work.

Operations and Sales all need to be on the same team.

District Sales Manager

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Growth and good pay for entry & junior level sales positions.

Cons

Few growth opportunities beyond district management & lack of training/development for senior level sales.

Time to reevaluate your management development programs & pay closer attention to those being promoted. Great sales reps don't necessarily make good managers.

It depends on which branch.

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some branches really believe in their payroll specialists. Good supervisors who are fair.Great benefits for everyone. Good payroll training.

Cons

Cliquish environment. If you are not favored by a supervisor, you will not get anywhere. On one hand, the company says that the payroll specialist is the frontline of the company. On the other hand, the company treats the payroll specialist as a person who does not have enough to do. The higher-ups are always thinking of something more the specialists do to upsell more services to the clients. Then the sales reps will get the credit and the commission on the sell.

Stop treating the payroll specialists as if they're not very bright.

One of the best I have ever had.

Former Employee - Human Resource Generalist
    Former Employee - Human Resource Generalist

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Greatest boss ever! Flexability and empowerment. Provided products and services that all companies need at a very reasonable price. Very knowledgeable & professional colleagues

Cons

Compensation scale is considerably under market.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!