Paychex Reviews

Reset
3.6
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • Work life balance was better than most (in 48 reviews)

• great work/life balance, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department, there is no work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Sales Reps are also very inconsiderate as they will walk around the office cursing on the phone even when you are on calls with clients (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Integrity and Ethics

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have never been a fan of big corporations, but I've now worked for this one for 15+ years. The current CEO has done an outstanding job of guiding the company on a path that demands integrity. Employers and employees, our clients, need to know that their data is safe and that only eyes that need to know can see sensitive information. Ranked in the top 10 of most ethical companies in the world and the only payroll company to have that honor, speaks volumes as to the leadership and those who have the honor of working here. The human resource department is made up of well qualified people that care about the employees they interact with. If there is ever a problem or a concern, they are there for you. The training department is by far one of the best around. If you want to move up or try a different position than what you started, they will direct your path and give you the training needed. No matter who you are in the company if you see a more efficient and cost effective way of doing something, you have the ability to change it.

Cons

Pay raises seem to be set to a locked percentage. One can only go so high on a given job grade. At least they tend to promote those who deserve it and that bumps the grade.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for excellence but never forget how you got to where you are. The hourly employees are the backbone of the company. Treat them well and the sky is the limit.

2. Senior Payroll Specialist

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers at least when we worked together at a center as now we are all remote from home. Good benefits. Steady raises with bonus potential. Training is great and constant better than other places.

Cons

Upward mobility seems to be dependent on the hiring manager. Seems a bit political. Too many clients assigned to most payroll specialists too handle. Can give better service if we had 10-15 percent fewer clients assigned. Blackout months from Dec-Feb limit your time off options then. Some mangers micro manage and others are great.

Advice to Management

Listen to your payroll specialists complaints and give them more opportunities for advancement.

3. Paychex in Albuquerque, NM

Current Employee - Junior Payroll Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Junior Payroll Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The nice bunch of people I work with at the Albuquerque Service Center (ASC) is the best thing about my job as a payroll specialist. There is a lot of information to keep track of while helping clients with their payroll, and coworkers and supervisors are always willing to help out with finding the necessary info. One of the really great things about working at the ASC is the branch manager, Rich Willis. When we have really busy days, he treats us to ice cream and other snacks to help our morale, as well as authorizing overtime if we need it (to catch up with client projects and even with our internal continuing education for career advancement). It is obvious that he cares about us as employees and as people (empathy is rare in managers in most companies). I feel very fortunate to work for Rich!

Cons

The pay could be a little higher, but our manager is working on this!

5. HCM Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity. Love the environment and culture. Great training and benefits.

Cons

Many changes in operations makes customer service issues difficult. Many excuses from operations.

Advice to Management

Stop the revolving door in operations. Get supervisors that care about the customers.

6. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment, unlimited potential for income, fast paced environment, good benefits, health insurance, 401K, stock purchase plan, vacation, tuition assistance

Cons

management can be improved, sometimes policies can be restricting, dress code can be a bit too strict, not a huge allowance for cars &^ phone

Advice to Management

Make sure you have leaders that are motivated to lead, that lead by example. Control your turnover on the management level and on the representative level

7. Quality People = Quality Product - Do they still have it?

Former Employee - New Loads Specialist in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - New Loads Specialist in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Quality People = Quality Product - Do they still have it? You can begin working for Paychex and have no knowledge about payroll, and you will be trained with payroll knowledge that you'll be able to use for the rest of your life. I haven't worked for them for 3 1/2 years but when I was there they had a branch (South Jersey) that was stacked with quality people from the Admin, Operations, Management and Sales teams. The employees genuinely cared for each other -- always looking out for each other. Plenty of time off - very important for that type of industry.

Cons

Incredibly stressful - that stress lead to my unfortunate demise with the company. I don't necessarily believe that the company cares about their employees the way they might lead one to believe - I do believe that there are different standards for the Sales Team and Operations. Whomever is ready this and works for Paychex knows exactly what I am talking about.....be honest.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - they are you lifeline - especially the front line employees (Payroll Specialists/Senior Payroll Specialists). Do not overwork them and act like everything is ok -- sometimes I think higher management fails to realize it. Instead of giving them better pay rates & benefits Paychex makes video's for each years dreaded 'year-end.' Change that culture.....that's what she said.

CORE Payroll Rep

Former Employee - CORE Payroll Sales Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - CORE Payroll Sales Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Paychex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paychex had a great on boarding experience. The team was very accommodating. The training was intense and helpful. The benefits were outstanding. The base pay was decent, but the commission and bonus opportunities really allow those that work hard to make a lot of money. The nontaxable expense account was nice as well. Ability to move to different offices. Overall, I would work for this company again if the opportunity aligned with my needs in the future.

Cons

Corporate world. Their #1 selling point is service, yet a current client was paying way too much for an old package and wanted a new service included in a cheaper package. Corporate wouldn't approve of change to newer cheaper package for client because they wouldn't make as much money off client. The company is very selfish/greedy. Decisions were made all across the board, and half of them didn't align with each other. For example, zone manager would say one thing, dsm would say another. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you are with company at least 5 years. Youngest DSM in entire company is 36. Some areas are covered (ineffectively) by virtual sales. Need boots on the ground...maybe a traveling rep for those areas to provide face to face service to new clients in remote areas.

Paychex Response

Aug 21, 2015 – Community Manager

I'm glad that there were many things you enjoyed about working here and I also appreciate the honesty regarding the things you didn't enjoy.We strive to give all employees the best experience ... More

9. IT Operations is all about business

I worked at Paychex full-time

Pros

Most employees are long term and conscientious.

Cons

IT Ops Management is all about the bottom line and not transparent at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the good people.

10. Core Sales Representative

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic training. Great benefits. Competitive pay. Objectives and pattern for success is clearly designed and communicated and duplicate able.

Cons

If you are not disciplined and driven it will be difficult to be successful.

Advice to Management

Make it attractive for tenured sales reps to mentor and coach new hires.

Paychex Response

Aug 21, 2015 – Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We're glad that you think so highly of the company. The advice you provided is great! Thanks again for your feedback and best of luck in your career. ... More

85% positive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical stable company. Seems to be on the right track product and tech wise. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay is low. Can be very stressful. Some micro management and lack of flexibility. Work life balance can improve. Some areas embrace work from home while others are against it. A lot of change. Sometimes it seems like they are making it up as they go along. Need to improve execution and communication of strategy and changes.

Advice to Management

Remember employees are greatest resource and pay them appropriately. Communicate better when changes happen. Create project plans with resources to manage all aspect of significant changes and initiatives. Do something about the managers that need to change.

RSS Feed </> Embed