Paychex

Paychex Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci

Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month(in 38 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance(in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best(in 27 reviews)

Wonderful experience in sales at Paychex

Core Sales Representative (Former Employee) Irving, TX

Pros-Definitely depends on the office, but in Irving (Dallas) the managers are hands down, amazing and very eager to help and truly want you to succeed. Plus, this office was a "mega branch" and produced 4-5 times as much as other branches, so I guess we got away with more :)
    -Flexible schedule, its outside sales.
    -Very friendly atmosphere, and peers that always help each other.
    -Great way of life if you simply do your job and work hard. Three of the coworkers on my team were working Moms and made a VERY comfortable lifestyle. If you simply hit your goals you should bring in 60-80 OTE. If you go over and beyond to hit the annual sales incentive trip, you bring in much more (stress though is at an all time high, but its worth it)!
    -Monthly celebrations when your team has a successful month
    -Great, great benefits. Medical, dental, vision, 401k.
    -Vacation is rolled over every year and adds up if its not used...woo hoo! I cashed all my vacay in when I left.
    -Managers very lenient on PTO
    -Paychex on your resume looks great

Cons-If you have little to no sales experience you usually start out as a TRR (territory ready rep) and you split each sale with the designated rep for that territory. Getting half commission sucks, but after a year you learn all of the ropes and are very thankful for being promoted to manage your own territory.
    -Sales is tough in itself, but I also believe some of your success depends on the territory you are given. After becoming a full rep I started out with a few zip codes around the city, and was also given an "expansion territory" an hour and a half south of my normal zip codes. This expansion territory, along with others, was very tough to grow. Only a few sales came out of it...so thankfully after 2 years Paychex accepted that the territories far away just weren't worth the time/money/energy to manage and stuck with the general metroplex zip codes to assign.
    -Negatives. Negative sales suck SO bad. If you bring on a client and they do not process enough payrolls to be profitable to Paychex, you get negative commission. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can sweet talk the clients out of quitting early and changing their mind...BUT sometimes negatives cannot be avoided because of business partners splitting ways, other problems, etc and there is literally nothing you can do. Negatives only happen about 2-3 times a year, but no one ever wants them!
    -The only other potential con are the partners you work with. You have partners for 401k, benefits and other "add-ons" to payroll to help you win a sale. Some partners are awesome and help you close the deal (which is the goal, duh!) and some partners just. are. not. great. people. They think their business is more important than yours and don't go out of their way to make the appointments you set, but yet they hound you to take them on lunches with your CPAs (CPAs are Paychex's biggest referral source, and only Core Sales gets to call on them) and then they "take over" the appointment if you let them. You can't let this happen, and must communicate with the partners that you do feel are overpowering and tell them straight-up what you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved my experience with Paychex, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I made a great life there, amazing friends, built my resume up so much...I only left because I was moving and would've had to start all over in sales in another office. BUT it would be so helpful if Paychex implemented residuals. Unparalleled customer service is something Paychex was founded upon, so why not reward us for keeping a client past 3 months? It's in our best interest to keep the clients because that's how I received many of my referrals, but it would be nice to get an extra incentive. Even just a small amount!

Great culture and training program

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, people, training program

Conshigh sales turnover, somewhat "cultish", but not bad if you drink the koolaid

Great Company to work for

Core Sales Representative (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood money solid management they have recently invested heavily into online to compete with ADP and others.
    upper management focused on long term goals highly supportive of Sales staff

ConsNo room for advancement unless willing to relocate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent

Prosatmosphere, benefits, training, hours, and mgmt

Consslow work load, inconsistency, lots of meetings, overload of information in the beginning, incentive program

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

A very stable, steady-growing company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsPaychex provides very competitive benefits and treats their employees very well. The senior leadership team is very capable and steers this ship directly toward our company and organizational goals.

ConsThis company is a little slow to conform to some of the industry norms. But, when they do, they make a full commitment and jump right in with both feet.

Tedious Job, Great Environment

National Sales Support (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

Pros-They do their best to make the job fun
    -Great Managers
    -Good training-Excellent work life balance, no work brought home
    -Room for advancement
    -Overall I miss working here, I left because of a job opportunity at another company but the culture at paychex in on a whole different level

Cons-Low compensation
    -On the phones all day erryday
    -Rewarded for sketchyness at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job motivating and promoting from NSS. Higher compensation would help recruit better talent.

Paychex Payroll Services

Sales Representative (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsGreat commissions. I was in an emerging territory so I was paid at 3x and had a higher base.

ConsMuch pressure to deliver monthly numbers, once the one month party was over the grind for the following month started which really added pressure. I was doing well so that was OK

Advice to Senior Managementtake local market conditions into goaling

HRG

HRG (Current Employee)

Prostraining, time off, stability, benefits

Consno upward mobility or professional development

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on developing talent

Great company to work for

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood benefits, supportive and safe culture, excellent company values and a new industry leading product.
    I've worked for Paychex for 8 years and have always been treated well. Management is focused on career development for all employees. The culture is focused on great customer service and that relates to employees as well as clients.

ConsI have very little to complain about. Compensation (salary) is a little lower than I would like but who can't say that? The option of working from home offsets that quite a bit.

Sr Sales Consultant

ProsGreat company, Great People, Great product, and Great Service.

ConsLack of Residual Income for sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsure that financial incentives are tied to company values / mission.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!