Paychex

Paychex Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci

Martin Mucci

Pros:
  • "I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Expect to be putting out fires with clients as they were given unreasonable expectations/promises from the sales reps"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

HRG

HRG (Current Employee)

Prostraining, time off, stability, benefits

Consno upward mobility or professional development

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on developing talent

Sr Sales Consultant

ProsGreat company, Great People, Great product, and Great Service.

ConsLack of Residual Income for sales team.

Advice to Senior ManagementInsure that financial incentives are tied to company values / mission.

Flexible Work Environment, Compensation Leaves Something to Be Desired

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork/life balance, flexibility, abundant time off options, coworkers were great. While I was there several family situations arose and my department was excellent about getting me the time and support I needed to be able to handle them. My hours were fair, but there were many occasions where I had no choice but to stay late because there were so few of us.

Consmanagement is inconsistent in quality, compensation lower than other places, many positions require a one year commitment before transfer or promotion. Field employees would sometimes set expectations with customers that we would not be able to fulfill.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Paychex Payroll Services

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    South Bend, IN

ProsGreat commissions. I was in an emerging territory so I was paid at 3x and had a higher base.

ConsMuch pressure to deliver monthly numbers, once the one month party was over the grind for the following month started which really added pressure. I was doing well so that was OK

Advice to Senior Managementtake local market conditions into goaling

Right Job at the Wrong Time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBase plus Commission
    Sales Partners across departments
    Training

ConsOperations disconnect with Sales
    Lead Generation

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Wonderful experience in sales at Paychex

Core Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

Pros-Definitely depends on the office, but in Irving (Dallas) the managers are hands down, amazing and very eager to help and truly want you to succeed. Plus, this office was a "mega branch" and produced 4-5 times as much as other branches, so I guess we got away with more :)
    -Flexible schedule, its outside sales.
    -Very friendly atmosphere, and peers that always help each other.
    -Great way of life if you simply do your job and work hard. Three of the coworkers on my team were working Moms and made a VERY comfortable lifestyle. If you simply hit your goals you should bring in 60-80 OTE. If you go over and beyond to hit the annual sales incentive trip, you bring in much more (stress though is at an all time high, but its worth it)!
    -Monthly celebrations when your team has a successful month
    -Great, great benefits. Medical, dental, vision, 401k.
    -Vacation is rolled over every year and adds up if its not used...woo hoo! I cashed all my vacay in when I left.
    -Managers very lenient on PTO
    -Paychex on your resume looks great

Cons-If you have little to no sales experience you usually start out as a TRR (territory ready rep) and you split each sale with the designated rep for that territory. Getting half commission sucks, but after a year you learn all of the ropes and are very thankful for being promoted to manage your own territory.
    -Sales is tough in itself, but I also believe some of your success depends on the territory you are given. After becoming a full rep I started out with a few zip codes around the city, and was also given an "expansion territory" an hour and a half south of my normal zip codes. This expansion territory, along with others, was very tough to grow. Only a few sales came out of it...so thankfully after 2 years Paychex accepted that the territories far away just weren't worth the time/money/energy to manage and stuck with the general metroplex zip codes to assign.
    -Negatives. Negative sales suck SO bad. If you bring on a client and they do not process enough payrolls to be profitable to Paychex, you get negative commission. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can sweet talk the clients out of quitting early and changing their mind...BUT sometimes negatives cannot be avoided because of business partners splitting ways, other problems, etc and there is literally nothing you can do. Negatives only happen about 2-3 times a year, but no one ever wants them!
    -The only other potential con are the partners you work with. You have partners for 401k, benefits and other "add-ons" to payroll to help you win a sale. Some partners are awesome and help you close the deal (which is the goal, duh!) and some partners just. are. not. great. people. They think their business is more important than yours and don't go out of their way to make the appointments you set, but yet they hound you to take them on lunches with your CPAs (CPAs are Paychex's biggest referral source, and only Core Sales gets to call on them) and then they "take over" the appointment if you let them. You can't let this happen, and must communicate with the partners that you do feel are overpowering and tell them straight-up what you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved my experience with Paychex, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I made a great life there, amazing friends, built my resume up so much...I only left because I was moving and would've had to start all over in sales in another office. BUT it would be so helpful if Paychex implemented residuals. Unparalleled customer service is something Paychex was founded upon, so why not reward us for keeping a client past 3 months? It's in our best interest to keep the clients because that's how I received many of my referrals, but it would be nice to get an extra incentive. Even just a small amount!

Sales manager

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsEarly years had great leadership, with change of leadership employee morale took turn for the worse and middle managers where not in tune with company objectives. Good solid pay and fantastic training

ConsNot the opportunity it used to have for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics when company was younger,

Great Experience made to feel very welcome

Rochester, NY

ProsGroup was very friendly and was willing to help in any way. Very good hands on training where needed. Like that there is some flexibility in schedule

ConsLocation is a commute but they have other offices in various locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Great Company

ProsCEO has an interest in our company and puts his heart into it.

Consif you have worked here any length of time, people coming in make more money than you do.

My experience at Paychex has been an incredible and mostly fulfilling journey.

Implementation Specialist III (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsPaychex is a company of high integrity that focuses on its clients' AND its employees' best interests. Paychex is always in the 'best companies to work for' and spends a lot of time and effort in training its employees to be the best in the business for its clients. Paychex offers great benefits to its employees and is branching into remote/work from home option for its employees.

ConsAlthough I consider Paychex to be the ' top of the heap' when it comes to Payroll/HR service providers, not only to their clients, but to their employees as well, I feel that the employees promoted to management positions are not always qualified and are not monitored in their daily activities to ensure that their 'direct-reports' are being treated fairly. The problem solving procedure that Paychex has in place is not being followed properly when there are concerns brought to the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to be more involved with the high turnover rate that some of the branches/hubs are experiencing. There is a reason that employees are leaving certain branches at an incredible rate. Part of it has to do with certain manager's treatment of employees.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paychex CEO Martin Mucci. All 585 reviews posted anonymously by Paychex employees.