Paychex Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 46 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Branch level support is great. if you have a problem your local branch manager will gladly help or listen to you same with core managers. People are always willing to help at the branch level expecially when dealing with frustrations.

Cons

Corporate office doesn't ask the branch before doing they just do. branches that deal with the day to day ahve no say when they really should have alot more say. corporate focuses on the wrong aspect of the business when they should look at the current picture.

Listen to the branches and seek advice before just doing

Average- good entry to mid-level sales position.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Name recognition, very stable company, great support with marketing materials, excellent training.

Cons

Support from management, the pay- even at plan- is less than average for an outside sales rep, lack of leadership, sales is very isolated from the rest of the company and this is detrimental in a service organization. Very little room for advancement, despite claims made. Operations and sales tend not to work together well and it's difficult at times to follow the process through without cooperation between the two departments. Difficult to find a time to take any time off.

Paychex needs stable management with focus and the ability to have one or two consistent initiatives that they can see through over a period of time- not a new flavor of the week. The compensation plan over the years does not reward tenured employees. Conference isn't a motivator if employees have families- a good compensation plan is. Consider rewarding sales representatives based on client retention, even if it is minimal amount each month, and it will encourage a higher volume of current client calls and ancillary sales.

Paychex review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Good company overall...People are intelligent and very helpful to one another. Training is amazing and there are high expectations. Benefits are great. Not a lot of turn over...many veterans.

Cons

Upper management gets placed in position because of sales numbers and not because of leadership skills...Has been an issue within, but not willing to change it. Pay is average for what you do.

Really need to do something about how we select management...The stronger the leadership the better the performance of sales team and more $$$$ for the company

A Decent Company That's Gotten A Little Sidetracked

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The job is highly detail oriented, but they provide you with the tools to do the job. There is a very good training program and the company is very loyal to it's employees. You do get a lot of feedback on your work and as a general rule everyone wants to see you succeed.

Cons

While it seems like there's always an open position, it feels very difficult to move ahead in the company. Promotions are often based on tenure and/or popularity. If there are specific reasons you were passed over they aren't really explained to you. Management in general seems to want to succeed, but they all have very different ideas about how to achieve it. Also, there is a lack of uniformity among the branches. Each is run almost like an individual fiefdom.

Listen to employees and offer promotions and rewards based on performance instead of just tenure, or at the very least make it more obvious that's what you're doing. Try to take more of what works from other branches and incorporate it into all branches. Try to focus more on cross training and specialization. While it's great for everyone to learn about every aspect of the job, it's impossible for one person to be a SME on everything. Specialization allows for highly focused work while cross training can aid in out of the box thinking.

So much better out there, with better pay!

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Great place to get training for later use with a different company.

Cons

You are promised so much when you first start, then you get there and it's all down hill. It is very hard, stressful and you are very under appreciated for the work you. A very demanding job with pay that does not compare to the others in the same line of business.High standards, if you like double standards. You are only promoted if you are well liked, not by the work you do. The policies are all to supervisor and manager discrection, so be careful if you are not in the "in crowd". Not open to suggestions from employees, they only act like they care about what you think.

You should listen to what your employees suggest and take action on that, not what you think is the best decsion. We are the ones that keep this company going by our customer service, you are there to manage it, not control it. You should get out on the floor and know what the job is at all times, not sit in your office and look at the numbers all day. There is so much more to Paychex than the numbers, there are real people busting their tale off to do a good job and you still demand more of them. You should be helping to make sure that everyone has the resources that are needed for them, not just look at what they are doing wrong. Take a step back and look, maybe it is not the lower level employees doing wrong, but the upper management.

HR Online Advisor

Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

You work very independently.
    Non-exempt so work stays at work

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant, you are promoted based on who you know not what you contribute.

Consider improving your human capital, since your business model is based on service, you should really measure their level of job satisfaction as they control the experience for the customer.

Great place to work, but a few problems

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex

Pros

The training is phenomenal
    Sales support is great
    Name recognition is a huge plus
    Pay is slightly above industry average

Cons

Tend to micromanage the sales force
    'The company can be too numbers driven (that is sales)
    Hard to advance into management

The only advice I have to management is to have them go out and prospect once in a while to see what the sales force is running into.

Rewards for tenure not competence

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Stability of the company and the market we serve is a huge value proposition
    The large client base inwhich to sell our products and services to
    Our Health and Benefits are good - even in light of the recent economic reductions

Cons

There is a huge double standard at Paychex - corporate. Tenure always out weights competency or results.. There are good people who have worked at Paychex for 20 years and thats all they know - but in this new ecomony and business climate, new ideas, skills and approaches are required and the tenured people tend to be be part of the problem and not the solution. Management seam to be isolated and not in tune with the issues and gets advice from these tenured people that are not always accurate.

Out with the old and in with the new.... Open up your eyes to the new economy and business climate. Walk the talk, don't just say the all the right things, take action with new ideas and people..

"Best Places to Work"...according to who?

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Taking time off is easy and we're given a decent amount. Depending on your needs the medical benefits can be decent. Non-management staff is a great team to work and be friends with.

Cons

This position asks too much for what is paid. I've transferred from different locations and there is a vast difference between management styles. Upper management is too busy worrying about the "numbers" to actually understand what is driving them. You're promised tons of advancement opportunities, but I'm still waiting for it to happen.

Complete lack of communication between departments - there is a 100% disconnect between services offered. One hand doesn't even know how the other hand works.

I did my own cost analysis of the area and found that we're grossly underpaid even though we're told by senior management this has been checked.

More focus on performance than seniority. Pay more. Cross train so that one department knows what the other one is doing, perhaps then clients won't leave for a competitor.

Beware of highly political environment and unqualified management

Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Typically great benefits but stopped 401K match and froze all merit based raises - they say for 1 year, but very likely indefinitely.

Cons

Unfortunately, the work environment is very political, projects have been on hold for years even though they claim to be "quick to act." IT is dragging company to a halt, incompetent managers that have been promoted due to tenure not performance, salary is rather low for the area and job responsibilities, failure to deliver on personal training and development which they sell so hard to you during your interview and first couple of weeks

Follow up on the training and development, pay me more, promote qualified individuals to management positions, get rid of the politics or at least try to frown on it