Paychex

Updated December 11, 2014
3.6

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Incredible Company To Sell and Work For

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

I love working for Paychex. The commission structure and earning potential are tops for a sales pro. I've worked for other companies that constantly messed with the comp plan and even top producers suffered...not at Paychex. If you work hard and perform...the dollars are there. The company's customer service model is tops and the company takes great care of its clients and employees.

Cons

I wish the office was more centrally located.

Keep up the great work.

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

work-balance, comp plan, personal growth

Cons

paid time off, other than that. Everything is good

Senior Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive and encouraging culture. Great pay if you are in the top 10%. The team atmosphere is very helpful. You are rewarded well if you work very hard. You are managed based on your performance. Career advancement can happen very quickly if you prove yourself to be a strong team member.

Cons

If you are the type of person that just wants to get by, then this is not the position for you. Outside sales in any organization is extremely competitive, especially at Paychex. So just be ready for a challenge. The training structure is meant to immerse you in knowledge, so you must be a quick learner.

Hire only the best talent to continue the growing trend of the company.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for they really value their employees. They are great about giving time off. Lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Slight disconnect between management and lower employees though they are working to fill in the gaps.

Great company that values employees!

Current Employee - Payroll Support Specialist in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Payroll Support Specialist in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting hired at Paychex is extremely competitive, for a good reason. Paychex values employees and encourages their advancement within the company. Great pay, benefits, and awesome management.

Cons

Certain positions are pretty overwhelming. You must be extremely efficient and have a tough hide when it comes to dealing with clients.

Its hard to give advice to management because upper levels are in the clutches of corporate political correctness. They more than earn their paycheck.

Great place to put down roots...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that invests in your development and rewards success. I spent 10 years at my previous company before coming here and immediately felt the difference when I joined the Paychex family. This is an organization that operates with strong business ethics under a strong and forward thinking leader. I am so glad I came to Paychex!

Cons

If hard pressed, I would say that because I work on a team where many of my colleagues sit in other offices, it would be great if we had more of an opportunity to be together in person.

Opportunities are endless

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychex is a great company to work for a number of reasons.

1. Company perks. When you win, you feel like you are on top of the world. From last Friday of the month off to team happy hours and events, Paychex knows how to treat their top performers.

2. Work/Life Balance. I have to say I've had many jobs in my life and this by far exceeds any company I've ever worked for. You literally choose your own schedule with the exception of a mandatory Monday morning meeting. Monday afternoons through Friday you get to choose when you see your clients, when you visit your partners. You don't have to sacrifice time and work a ton of hours to do the job.

3. Money. I'll say it again. When you win, you are winning. The compensation structure at Paychex is gold. They nailed it on the head with bonuses and percentages because it doesn't take much to easily hit over $100k annually.

4. Training. You are so well trained on all of the products and services it's ridiculous. I came in not knowing a thing about accounting, payroll, taxes, nothing. I am now able to speak intelligently about it to my peers and it feels so good to know what the hell you're talking about.

5. Management. I can't say enough good things about my managers. Because they were in the same job I was in at some point, they get it. They don't micromanage you and over step boundaries. They truly feel like your friend and genuinely want you to succeed in the job.

Cons

There are no real cons here

Great company to grow with!

Current Employee - HRS Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - HRS Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Reasonable pay for hard work

Cons

Changes in commission plans often and sometimes managed to other people's goals.

Paychex is a great company that truly cares about their employees and their professional and personal development.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paychex is ranked as one of the top training companies so they really want to set you up for success from the get go. They look for employees that want to make Paychex their long term career and offer a lot of room for advancement to make sure you stay challenged. The management team is there to coach and support you towards your career goals and there are notifications that you can sign up for so you are always notified of new opportunities that you are interested in.

Cons

Paychex really listens to their employees so there isn't any cons I see at this time.

Management is supportive, approachable, and motivating so I would recommend that it stays that way.

Great company to build a career with.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Growing at a very fast rate, debt free, great corporate leadership, excellent products, awesome training. Paychex is a great place to build a long term career if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There are a lot of different products and it can take time to master selling them.

continue working to develop your top people and give them opportunities to grow.