Paychex Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 39 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a good 'JOB' to have but not a place to build a career.

Current Employee - Client Service Supervisor  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Client Service Supervisor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You will get paid on time

Cons

Management does not listen to employees, training is just to say they train, not really beneficial, benefits are OK...froze salaries and took away company match at some point. Culture is fake, most people fake smile, lots of backstabbing goes on.

Your manager controls your ENTIRE experience here

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has a great vision, and I really wish I would have gotten to experience everything that I was sold on during the interview process. There are definitely opportunities to move up in the company, which is extremely nice especially in a sales role.

Cons

After reading reviews, and listening to the "Paychex Dream" that the managers sold me on during the interview process, I felt like it would make a lot of sense to give the company a shot. Unfortunately, although the company has great motives, your entire career can be negatively affected by poor management.

The stress level is through the roof, and there is no support from management on how to make that better. Work-life balance is non-existent, and the managers don't care. The amount of work required to complete a deal (as far as leg-work in getting client information) is through the roof, and management feels that instead of using work time to submit a deal, you should do it either before or after work, equating to far above the standard 40-hour work week.

Working here is like working for a sorority, in how management treats and handles situations. I took this job excited to work for a top company, and am left feeling like I'm back in college.

Pay-wise is ok, but could be better. Other competitors have a much higher base salary and don't give as much of a stressful environment, making it hard not to look elsewhere.

DO NO promote people to managers just because they are great sales people! I have had some of the worst experiences with management here in my life, as the only reason they were promoted is because they were successful sales people.

Also, managers need way more training on general operations and procedures, and need to much better educate their sales reps on different changes.

Not what it used to be...

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They are obsessed with your training, and over work you, so when you go to other places, the work seems light. They pay for things like flu shots, so that's nice.

Cons

Promotions in mid-level branches don't exist unless someone gets fired or quits. They are obsessed with Office Morale yet rarely do anything to actually fix it. Their Corporate office is a joke. They make decisions without consulting those who are affected by them. Spend more money on Sales than they do Operations. Don't even use their OWN payroll system to process employee's pay. The Pay is not worth the work you have to do. Expect you to do the work of multiple people with little pay.

Stop making decisions about daily tasks like Direct Deposit Audits that are NOT REALISTIC and actually TRY to make it easier on the employees to do their jobs. Pay the employees more that are in operations and less to Sales who get too much money for the little that they do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Laughable

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Learned a lot about payroll

Cons

Wait until you have 15 years in with the company and they decide they no longer have a place for you.

Be prepared for discrimination law suits.

Overworked, Underpaid

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

The training here is great, I have learned so much through their training program.
    They continuously keep you updated with payroll laws/regulations as well as micro managing.

Cons

I wish I could love working at this company as in the very beginning they boast about employees who has been there for over a decade etc etc.
    REALITY CHECK:
    As a payroll specialist or a senior payroll specialist you don't just process payroll, they have failed to inform me that I have hidden job titleS with my position.
    We are not only payroll specialist we are IT technical support, 401K support, HR support, Benefits, Taxpay specialist support, billings and more. Yes we as payroll specialists with the jack of all trades within the company to all your companies.
    I was told by the core manager because I did such a good job, I will have more problematic clients reassigned to me, that's just how it works here. People who know how to work the system will deliberately do a poor job and the Supervisor will reassign the client to someone else and you will take the wrath of all negatives.
    Your raise is base on your survey cards and you are expected to receive all "A's". Even if you just got assigned to the account and the survey card is reflecting the former specialist you will take the fall for it. They LOVE TO MICRO MANAGE you, from how long you take your lunch to how long and often you go potty, I felt like I was a baby learning how to adhere to strict parenting rules.
    They have "black out" periods as to when you can and can not take leave, because people within the company has abused the leave time. I'ts usually after a holiday or when they knew it's a heavy payroll processing load day, there are still employees who manage to take leave despite these rules.
    I was unhappy and miserable here, during my 1 plus year there a number of people including myself has been rushed to the Emergency Room from work due to stress. My health was severely in danger due to the stress at this work place and I was constantly being assigned difficult clients.
    Yes they have various specialist at the HQ to "assist" the clients however regardless they will redirect the call back to the specialist and you will end up doing their work anyways. If a client is upset because you can not do things at no charge because it is the clients error, all they have to do is call the manager scream and curse and they manager will have no back bone and say ok. The management team makes you look like a bunch of idiots and they do not back you up. Micro managing however is what they are excellent in.
    They will also force you to carry out the Supervisory's job as well and will write you up if you refuse to follow through with their "assignment". There are no growth opportunities in this company, the highest position you can get is the Senior Payroll Specialist position. Until a manager quit or leaves that's the only chance you can get a promotion.
    Sales Reps are also very inconsiderate as they will walk around the office cursing on the phone even when you are on calls with clients.
    Once every quarter you will have a session of "blitz" call in which they force you to set aside 2 hours and call clients who has left the service and try to get them back on board with Paychex. Yes you are carrying out a Sales Rep job.
    When I put in my notice to leave the manager gave me this awful look and immediately ask for my resignation letter. I submitted it and I even completed the exit interview (online) and then the manager sends a non-genuine email stating "i understand you are leaving due to health issues but is there anything we can do to accommodate".
    You can not have overtime, only during year end and you need to have the ability to control traffic because you should know better when to leave to avoid accidents on I-95 to get there on time or else it is your fault.

Stop playing favorites, stop piling more and more responsibilities on the PRS who are already doing so much. Be fair and be nice.

Not what it once was

I worked at Paychex

Pros

You can earn a pay check and not produce.

Cons

Very weak management. No idea whats going on right under their nose. No longer a good company. They need top quality management. It's been some time since you can compare them to ADP. ADP is a far superior organization on every level.

Wake up

Nepotism and favortism are at a level here that is almost frightening

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Culver City, CA

I worked at Paychex full-time for less than a year

Pros

Except for the training, there really is nothing good to say about Paychex.

Cons

I was hired in LA to work in one location. I was told, after I gave my notice to my previous employer, that I would be working in another city that added two hours to my commute, which probably would have made me turn down the offer. Favortism and nepotism run RAMPANT. If you apply randomly online, and are not drawn into the company from a higher up, then expect a crummy territory with ZERO help. Others, who are "in" will receive ALL the leads that come in from the internet, and management will use some lame excuse to take it from you, and give to a crony, even if its in your territory. So, your sales skills really mean NOTHING here as far as how well you will succeed. The SAME EXACT people go to their Prez Clubs each and every year. And, no matter your territory or how long you've been there, your quota as a new rep will be the same as a 10 time Prez Club winner. My manager was the absolute worst I have EVER had, and I have been doing sales for over twenty years.... Again, unless a higher up gives a recommendation and pulls you in... STAY AWAY!!!!! OH, and if you're over 30.... STAY AWAY!!!!

Go get an MBA and learn how to effectively manage complex and diverse workgroups...

Impossible Work Load and Low Pay and High Turnover

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is an entry level position company.

Cons

Expectations to manage over 500 clients, this means 110 calls a day, in between these calls you must take branch call in payrolls. The pace is non stop. Most new hires go back to prior jobs to escape after the first month. The calls are only half of your job somehow you have to find time to do the rest of your work while you are entering payroll and not make errors. Your scored in a way that everything is against you, if you do your work you lower one metric if you don't clients give you a B on your surveys and B's are treated as a F. Your scripted and monitored, if your client is in a rush you are held accountable for a poor call. If you have to fix another persons mistake the error is held against your performance scores. Pay is very low and annual raises are a joke, often under twenty five cents.

Run unless you are desperate!

Hire more employees and pay a living wage. The issues are systemic coming from way up high. Management admits the work environment is poor and management admits openly that they are not interested in resolving the issues; As a result turn over is high. In the words of George Orwell inside Paychex everything is double plus good.

When management needs let go- they can't pull the trigger

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Flexible work environment, good benefits, able to grow your own business. Many products to sell with a large territory with many opportunities.

Cons

We had a terrible manager that HR had recognized along with our district manager that she was inadequate at best at her position. She didn't train you before Rochester, never went on ride alongs, and had unprofessional employee relationships. She remained in the company for an entire year too long. HR addressed the issues during exit interviews but nothing was ever done.

Not everyone is meant for management, when someone is noticed negatively for their unprofessionalism and lack of knowledge let them go or remove them from management.

Overworked in a high stress environment. Lack of professional management.

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits including Medical, FSA, 401k match. Bonuses twice a year. Good pay if you stay here for a long time if you can last. Raises every year.

Cons

Anonymous in California. I cannot post my real city for fear of my job.

Unprofessional work environment and management. Very high call volume, high stress environment. High client count per CSR in Major Market Services. Everyone in my group has stated they hate their job. We try to make light of our stress but its hard to stay positive, even the supervisors are burned out. You are buried with tasks and projects more and more every day. Overtime is not allowed except for year end. They will not hire enough reps to alleviate some of the stress and workloads because corporate controls how many reps per client count regardless of how large the accounts are. Training is terrible here. Once you complete the initial Web Ex and corporate basic training, you may be paired with a wonderful mentor if available or no mentor at all. Its so busy, its hard for your mentor to stop for too long to help you, in between the high volume calls and projects. I've been here a long time working really hard and I have no job satisfaction and hardly any appreciation from higher management. There is a high employee turnover rate and job dissatisfaction. You have to maintain a 95% on your survey scores or they will threaten to fire you. You are encouraged to make sure you tell your clients to give the branch an overall A on the surveys or it will go against you. If your surveys scores are B or lower, its the equivalent to a D or an F. Corporate lowered the budget for branch employee events and as a result, there will be no more year end parties.

Please hire more employees to help with the workload. Its the quality not quantity that you should focus on. Treat employees better, get more involved to learn what we do. Make sure management are trained and qualified. Do not just hire from within. Sucess of your company stems from the success of your employees. Please treat us with regard and respect.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!