Paychex Reviews

Reset
3.6
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • Work life balance was better than most (in 48 reviews)

• great work/life balance, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department, there is no work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Sales Reps are also very inconsiderate as they will walk around the office cursing on the phone even when you are on calls with clients (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Integrity and Ethics

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have never been a fan of big corporations, but I've now worked for this one for 15+ years. The current CEO has done an outstanding job of guiding the company on a path that demands integrity. Employers and employees, our clients, need to know that their data is safe and that only eyes that need to know can see sensitive information. Ranked in the top 10 of most ethical companies in the world and the only payroll company to have that honor, speaks volumes as to the leadership and those who have the honor of working here. The human resource department is made up of well qualified people that care about the employees they interact with. If there is ever a problem or a concern, they are there for you. The training department is by far one of the best around. If you want to move up or try a different position than what you started, they will direct your path and give you the training needed. No matter who you are in the company if you see a more efficient and cost effective way of doing something, you have the ability to change it.

Cons

Pay raises seem to be set to a locked percentage. One can only go so high on a given job grade. At least they tend to promote those who deserve it and that bumps the grade.

Advice to Management

Keep striving for excellence but never forget how you got to where you are. The hourly employees are the backbone of the company. Treat them well and the sky is the limit.

I'd think twice before considering Paychex.

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Decent benefits and somewhat stable work environment.

Cons

Pay well below industry standard. Incompentent managers. Useless training. Outdated software. I had to hear stories from my immediate supervisor about how she crapped her pants and urinated in a cooler in her car in the company parking lot rather than come back inside.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself and your company. What you've accomplished is impressive but this company is not what it once was.

Solid company financially but lacking any true leadership or vision (especially in IT)

Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Stability defines Paychex in Rochester. It's a solid place that never lays people off and most have to work at getting fired. There are always annual raises (albeit small) and benefits are VERY good to good.

Cons

Compensation for a position is a joke - and that fact is acknowledged. People are way underpaid for the "privileged" of working at a stable company. It is really a fundamental of the universal risk/reward model. In IT specifically - there is very little real understanding of the technology - and things are slow to change.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the IT division starting with the VP (DC) and all his completely incompetent, infighting Directors. They care far more about showing each other up than providing valuable results for the company. And the VP who runs the circus likes to watch it unfold.

5. Don't be fooled by the sales pitch!

Current Employee - Premier Sales Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Premier Sales Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Flexibility in your schedule. This does promote work/life balance as long as you have the professionalism to handle managing 95% of your own time.

Cons

While promoting from within is a great idea, Paychex tends to promote because of longevity vs. experience. Too many managers have no tangible experience outside of Paychex and therefore bring nothing to the table.

Advice to Management

Stop sitting in your offices and get out to the regional offices and talk to people. Do comp surveys and increase the pay. There are two many managers who skim by leaving their staffs without guidance. Good employees are leaving or planning to leave.

A breeding ground for misery

Former Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

For the most part, there is decent job security. The benefits are OK, except when it comes to time off, they are very stingy. The pay was OK for me, but is still below industry standard.

Cons

The way they motivate their employees is by yelling at them, and watching them like hawks. The job is extremely demoralizing, and you will never feel good about anything you do. When I first started, they were comparing my abilities to people who had been there 1 year saying I was not doing a good job. When I was there for a year, they compared me to people who were there 5 years, same thing, telling me I wasn't doing a good job. Every review was absolutely negative, without a single positive ANYTHING. Overall, extremely negative atmosphere, I was nitpicked for coming in 5 minutes late, and taking a 15 minute break every so often when I was on SALARY. Awful work environment, it's like everyone there is miserable and wants you to be too.

Advice to Management

When your employees ask for stuff, show some effort that you are actually doing what you say you were going to do. If it cannot be done, don't make up lies as to why it cannot happen, we see right through it and it doesn't look good for you, and makes the employee resent you. Try a little positive reinforcement, it goes a long way.

7. "Best Places to Work"...according to who?

Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Client Service Representative

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Taking time off is easy and we're given a decent amount. Depending on your needs the medical benefits can be decent. Non-management staff is a great team to work and be friends with.

Cons

This position asks too much for what is paid. I've transferred from different locations and there is a vast difference between management styles. Upper management is too busy worrying about the "numbers" to actually understand what is driving them. You're promised tons of advancement opportunities, but I'm still waiting for it to happen. Complete lack of communication between departments - there is a 100% disconnect between services offered. One hand doesn't even know how the other hand works. I did my own cost analysis of the area and found that we're grossly underpaid even though we're told by senior management this has been checked.

Advice to Management

More focus on performance than seniority. Pay more. Cross train so that one department knows what the other one is doing, perhaps then clients won't leave for a competitor.

8. So much better out there, with better pay!

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Great place to get training for later use with a different company.

Cons

You are promised so much when you first start, then you get there and it's all down hill. It is very hard, stressful and you are very under appreciated for the work you. A very demanding job with pay that does not compare to the others in the same line of business.High standards, if you like double standards. You are only promoted if you are well liked, not by the work you do. The policies are all to supervisor and manager discrection, so be careful if you are not in the "in crowd". Not open to suggestions from employees, they only act like they care about what you think.

Advice to Management

You should listen to what your employees suggest and take action on that, not what you think is the best decsion. We are the ones that keep this company going by our customer service, you are there to manage it, not control it. You should get out on the floor and know what the job is at all times, not sit in your office and look at the numbers all day. There is so much more to Paychex than the numbers, there are real people busting their tale off to do a good job and you still demand more of them. You should be helping to make sure that everyone has the resources that are needed for them, not just look at what they are doing wrong. Take a step back and look, maybe it is not the lower level employees doing wrong, but the upper management.

9. Your better off collecting unemployment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Decent benefits. Friendly office and I get along very well with most of my co workers.

Cons

A monkee could do my job, and that's reflected in my miserable paycheck. Talent log jam in OPS, and a very flat corportate structure make promotions nearly impossible to land. No recognition for a job well done. No 401k match, merit pay increases have allegedly been reinstiated but I don't know anyone who has received one. 15% of my employees are genuine idiots. Monotonous and whittles away any sense of self worth to repeat the same task day after day.

Advice to Management

Most adults would prefer a bonus check to an ice cream/pizza party.

Better than being unemployed

Former Employee - Software Developer II in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer II in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Very stable. I am not aware of any mass layoffs that have become ubiquitous in industry today. Adequate benefits. No, they are not great. Simply adequate.

Cons

There is a reason for the fact that Paychex does not perform mass layoffs: the incredibly high rate of natural attrition puts Paychex is in a continuous hiring mode. The quintessential revolving door. So many people quit they do not ever have to lay people off. The pay is so far below industry standards that their pay scales do not even show up on most salary sites (salary.com, Dept. Of Labor, CareerBuilder.com). Many Paychex employees take the job only to avoid unemployment and then spend all their free time surreptitiously looking for a real job. I know that’s what I did. That’s certainly the same thing the other software developers did that also quit in my very short tenure at Paychex. I was there 10 months and 5 developers quit in that short time. I have never worked anyplace in which the demographics were so skewed away from middle age males. This is typically the largest demographic in most industry but the salary is so pathetic no middle age male could raise and support a family on this pittance. Promotion is based on longevity, not ability. The result is that the management is comprised of those people that have no motivation or qualifications to look for a “real” job so they muddle along mindlessly for years until a management job appears. They typically have no current skills or knowledge other than the small slice of work environment they have been resigned to. Nepotism runs rampant at Paychex. It is irrelevant that somebody may have extensive education and experience in dealing with the many problem areas in software development but that is roundly ignored. I have personally witnessed decisions on major architectural changes handed over to QA leads that happen to be personal pets of the current manager but do not posses even the most fundamental development skills. Paychex was definitely the most depressing place I ever worked. The vast majority of the people in the I.T. group I was in simply went through the motions on a daily basis with a total lack of work ethic and pride. Nobody felt it was worthwhile to help one another or pass on knowledge. It was considered a waste of time since the majority quit as soon as possible.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a competitive wage. You will never retain top talent otherwise. People can put up with a lot if they are properly compensated but as it stands now you will only retain the inexperienced, the unmotivated, and those who are in it for a second household income.

11. Nothing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Benefits are acceptable but expensive

Cons

No opportunities for advancement and management allows too many good employees to leave.

Advice to Management

Promote those with experience not based on who is youngest.

RSS Feed </> Embed