Paychex

Updated January 31, 2015
3.7

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people and a great manager

Former Employee - Paychex Small Business Payroll Representative in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Paychex Small Business Payroll Representative in Glendale, CA

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training was not only educational but fun. They definitely know how to hire good people.
    I was lucky to have an excellent manager to work under. The best manager I have ever had...and I've had a few.
    Commission structure was very good, however it has changed since.
    Like any other sales position, you get out what you put in.

Cons

If you are male in this industry, then you have to work extra hard. Even more so if you are older and/or not attractive. Sounds ridiculous, but trust me its true.

My experience was just fine.

Great Company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Great company to sell for. Brandon Placek is a great mentor and salesman!

Cons

I can not think of any.

Keep up the good work

Great Opprotunity

Current Employee - National Sales Support in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - National Sales Support in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many opprotunities within the company. If your entry level position is not the right fit they will find a better fit for you

Cons

The nature of the job is hard. This is sales, its not for everyone

Competitive and supportive workplace

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Hard work is rewarded. Great place to build resume. Great training program.

Cons

Limited room for growth or advancement. Lateral moves are possible at almost any point but senior and management positions are almost nonexistent.

Sales policy does not make sense in New York, there needs to be more room for common sense and less strict adherence to policy that was designed to be effective in middle America.

Very strict environment

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Good benefits, clean work envionment

Cons

Company only interested in making sure they made money

Don't chew up employees and spit them out

A great company that cares

Current Employee - Territory Ready Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Ready Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I LOVE working at Paychex. I look forward to coming to work every day. The training is top notch, the benefits are outstanding, and I love what Paychex stands for. The CEO is also awesome and you can tell he truly wants the best for the company AND the employees. The pay is really great too.

Cons

The challenges of this job are the same as any sales job. There are many competitors and we can't always match price. But work hard and show the value and it pays off

Good pay and work environment, tedious and repetitive work.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Paychex part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for an entry-level job requiring no experience. Mostly laid back environment during the work day. Weekends are always off days (except the occasional Saturday during quarter/year end). Big opportunities for advancement in the company. Paid time off and good vacation hours are a plus. Easy to get days off if needed. Job works well around school schedules. Management is very professional along with the environment.

Cons

The hours can go from morning to evening or afternoon to evening (about 8:00/8:30 during the midweek), not leaving much time during the week to get anything done other than going to work. During the busy season, the stress level is significantly higher than usual and the job is not enjoyable that way. Expectations can be sometimes confusing and not expressed clearly. The work is very, very repetitive.

Make sure you inform all new Fulfillment Specialists on the importance of packing speed and productivity expectations as soon as they start. Communicate the inner workings of Distribution to the Payroll Specialists upstairs so that the Fulfillment Specialists do not receive incorrect or confusing packing instructions and make errors. Hire temporary employees for the busy season so the stress level may be lowered.

Always busy, has gone downhill the last few years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Reading, MA

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Job security - one is always extremely busy

Cons

Management is currently not concentrating on client's payroll and questions. They are so wrapped up in just "the numbers game" that it does not make any difference if you are doing what you are supposed to do. If a client calls and complains about anything, you are in trouble. Most of the time it is not justified, but clients have figured what they need to do for whatever they want. You have no control even when you try to assist. Survey response is a huge deterent and not a true reflection, basically a joke. All kinds of requirements but no time.

First suggestion is to leave your desks and sit with a customer service representative - not for an hour or two, but for the last 2 weeks of Dec and the first week of Jan. The number of calls and emails is endless, you cannot respond. On top of that the clients think Paychex are accountants. The employees are continuously penalized for doing their jobs, and of all the positions in paychex this is the worst. Every person in that position hates it and wants out. Paychex is going downhill and even though what you feel is important in numbers, you have no idea what is truly going on in the field. Branch management does not even realize, or they don't want to, They just keep coming at you with more complaints and more work. They dictate what needs to get done, but the more important items can't be done because you need to do what management dictates. it's all in the numbers to look good for senior management, not truly helping the clients. Everybody is unhappy and from what I hear all are looking for new jobs. Right now I have heard everyone thinks it is the worst place to work - gotten worse over the last few months. Should probably get all new managers in North Reading and make a lot of changes and perhaps turn the employees around. I would not recommend Paychex as a vendor or as an employer right now. Check with your employees, they have no way to confidentially alert management. The internal surveys they feel can still be tracked back to them. Am glad I no longer have to work in such an environment, am very happy now.

Also supposedly Paychex is supposed to be flexible and employees come first, this is totally not true. No one trusts current management which could be because of Rochester management dictating and they truly do not know what it is like in the field. I am in contact with my former colleagues and hear all the time how bad it has gotten, I wish them luck.

Pay

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training is very well thoughtout

Cons

Pay is very low for the job

Pay more. Give resources beyond training

Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly supportive and positive work environment

Cons

High Standards are in place

N/A