Paychex

Paychex Reviews

3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Can Judge really recognize what's happening in cubicle world?

Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

It is a successful company!

Cons

Good ole boy network where you have to "grow up" within the company to advance.

Realize that some of your leaders are not quailified...perform 360 reviews and not with "safe" people.

Paychex needs to listen to their employees more!

Current Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

To be in the security team and work on projects.

Cons

Mundane maintenance work along with lack of work for an intern. Biggest problem is that manager seems not to have read my resume and understand all the leadership experience I have; she tends to go on about how I should attend large meetings to listen to upper management present and learn from them. Also doesn't help that I tend to "run out of work" and my team doesn't communicate as well as it should; a lot of repeated work occurs because of this. The other HUGE problem I have is the ridiculous dress code for IT employees. There's NO reason that IT employees need to be dressed in a suit everyday just to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours. When meeting with clients, yes, you need to dress up more; but regular, day to day work, there's no reason why we can't wear just a generic collared shirt and nice jeans/khakis

the IT department needs to be allowed more casual dress. You also NEED younger people in this department; there's alot of slow business processes and people unwilling to change because you don't have a good mix of a younger crowd with new ideas.

Good place to work

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Great benefits and amazing stability top the list. It takes time to climb the ladder, but you know you have a job/career to go to each day. That is indeed priceless. That and they are flexible enough to allow us to work 4 10 hour shifts that result in 3 day weekends.

Cons

I had to take a hefty pay cut to take this position. This combined with a 2 year commitment before I can move up to a new position within IT are the biggest downfalls. At the end of the day I know I have a job to go to every day, and a career to advance. In my opinion the good well out weighs the bad.

Continue to work towards a partial "work from home" culture to help employees save gas cost.

Great place to receive training. Be ready for the fast pase and high stress.

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Paychex

Pros

A great place to start a career. Paychex has a great training program.

Cons

Is fast paste and high stress never enough time to truly support the clients the way you want to.

Invest in your management team. Don't just replace them every 2 years.

Good place to start your career but not a good place to retire.

Current Employee - Agency Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Agency Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Flexible, Family Oriented, Opportunity, Well known, Experience

Cons

Too many levels of managment, which often leads to lack of communication.

Bridge the gap between departments. We are suppose to work together not against one another.

Paychex, a great career starter...

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Paychex can be a great place to work. Having a lot of knowledge and skills does not mean you can advance in the company or get paid a lot. It is a great place to start your career and get the skills needed to get a well paid career. Paychex offers tons of training and do pay for school.

Cons

Having the knowledge and skillset does not mean easy promotion or salary increase.

They do have a great recognition program and the employees are well recognized, but the employee's worth is not shown in their paycheck.

I recommend coming to Paychex.

Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Job-security. I've seen it go both ways. In some cases, you REALLY have to screw up to be let go. I always felt respected by my manager and co-workers. Work/life balance is very good.

Cons

Coworker Competence. There is none, really. There are the select few that i enjoy working with who work just as hard as me.. but in reality there is too much to do and no one is getting paid enough to do it, so basically no one wants to do anything!

All levels of management should be exposed to customers. Members of management need to roll up their sleeves and do the work of their employees once in a while. And they should talk to customers.

Great opportunity to get your feet wet in IT...but look elsewhere if competitive salary is a requiremen

Current Employee - IT Support
    Current Employee - IT Support

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Nice place to start your career

Cons

Great place to get your start, but may not be the best place to stay

great training opps. little vacation, low pay, but nice enough otherwise.

Current Employee - Developer V in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Developer V in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Good place to get training. The company is stable and large enough to feel secure that it will be around for awhile - we have never had mass layoffs. At the same time, the company is still small and new enough that opportunities for advancement still exist. One of the most stable companies in Rochester. A lot of females work in IT at Paychex compared to the IT departments in other companies - approximately 50% of IT workforce is female - including approximately 50% of management. If you can get by the lower than average pay, and 2 weeks vaca it is a nice place to work with good opportunity.

Cons

2 weeks vacation to start at all levels - non-negotiable. The pay is low compared to other companies in the area. Individual groups within IT all work in silos. Senior IT management isn't technical - hard to push modern technologies into production (still have working COBOL, PowerBuilder and Delphi apps in production!) - however we are getting there with some recent J2EE and .NET development.

retire

Great company and great people

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The company is based on good old fashioned principles. No worries about our financials -- the company has no debt.

Cons

Payroll gets boring after awhile

Spend more money on technology and marketing.