Paychex

www.paychex.com

Paychex Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

brief review

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist in New York, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

good employee benefits, excellent job security

Cons

huge disparity between abilities of managers. Some are excellent, others are dreadful.

communicate with "lower level" employees more frequently

Management needs to wake up at Paychex

Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Local company with stability growth opportunity.

Cons

Low wages, poor management with no real vision

You really need to look down the management path - there are people running the place that really don't know much about our business!

Paychex is the best company to gain business sales training. They want you to win.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Pacychex has a great culture. They create a winning attitude and help you maintain it.

Cons

Their sales model is similar to others in that you must call on current clients to get referrals that you did not sell to. Cold calling CPA's to establish to generate leads hopefully. In certain territories CPA's welcome payroll reps, other areas they despise them. Weekly reports must show balanced activity of customers and CPA's regardless if you are getting referrals.

None. Paychex is a well oiled machine with a formula that works for the most part.

Best place to work but with lower pay

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I worked at Paychex

Pros

The company is very ethical and feels like home, everyone is very nice and respectful...No dog eat dog corporate mentality. I regret ever leaving the company, they are huge about communications and my boss was a great one, very supportive. The benefits were great and they care about their employees well being, not a typical corporate environment which is great!

Cons

The one and only downfall was the pay, it was not up to par with competitors.

Pay your employees on the higher end of the pay scale and this would be a job they would stay in for years.

For performers ONLY

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Lehigh Valley, PA

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Super environment for sales performers, well respected in the industry. Accountants, financial advisors and insurance agents all refer Paychex to their clients. High reward levels including trips and a six figure income. Ultimate job security if you are hitting your number, and the numbers are really reasonable.

Cons

Stressful for non-performers. If you can't look in the mirror, this isn't the place for you. This is a hunting environment, not a place where you can develop a territory, and take re-orders or residuals after a few years. Every sale is a new client.

More training for senior sales representatives. Most training stops in the first 6 months of employment.

Ok

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Great benefits.Seems like my job is secure which is important right now. Good training program.

Cons

Low pay compared to other payroll companies. No PTO time allowded around the holidays(in their defense, they do tell you this during the interview process but still..hopefully you don't have family that lives far away). To much expected for the money.

We earn our PTO, let us take it when we want. We shouldn't have to work Christmas Eve.

Paychex is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The sense of community and great communication.

Cons

They invest heavily in their sales department and not in operations.

Understand the roles of those responsible for client retention.

Satisfied employee

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Paychex offers great initial as well as ongoing training. They have a a good name in the market so prospects feel good about using you. There is a definite need for the services that they sell. If you do a good job then you will be rewarded with plenty of incentives. There are several places you can turn to when developing referral sources.

Cons

It seems as though moving into management is the only way for a salesperson to grow professionally. If you are not wanting management there is not much room for growth. There are several divisions within the company and they are not all on the same page.

It would be helpful if a long term salesperson could have other avenues for advancement outside of becoming a Distirct Sales Manager perhaps Senior or more specialized roles.

Fun laid back place to work, not necessarily full-filling though

Former Employee - Software Developer in Webster, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Webster, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Good company, lots of freedom as software developer. Had the ability to come up with my own ideas about the best way to implement the pieces of the software that I was given. Requirements were well documented and reviewed by the group before development starts. Requirements do frequently change but they are willing to listen to ideas, and even make changes based on developers inputs. The work environment is fairly laid back, people often take 10-15minutes breaks during the day to talk to other people. Overall the work was enjoyable and you had the opportunity to create something that would be seen by end users.

Cons

The pay and benefits was lower than other similar jobs in the area. Performance reviews were not overly helpful (but also didn't go into the typical go fill out this spreadsheet and tell me what you did this year). Managers are interested in their employees but don't necessarily have the power to help them. The first line managers were mostly ex-engineers who moved up the ladder and eventually decided to put on a different hat. Some of them choose to ignore the problems they were having as software developers once they were managers, and some didn't. They are all competent though.

Listen to your employees and ask for feedback.

A breeding ground for misery

Former Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

For the most part, there is decent job security. The benefits are OK, except when it comes to time off, they are very stingy. The pay was OK for me, but is still below industry standard.

Cons

The way they motivate their employees is by yelling at them, and watching them like hawks. The job is extremely demoralizing, and you will never feel good about anything you do. When I first started, they were comparing my abilities to people who had been there 1 year saying I was not doing a good job. When I was there for a year, they compared me to people who were there 5 years, same thing, telling me I wasn't doing a good job. Every review was absolutely negative, without a single positive ANYTHING.

Overall, extremely negative atmosphere, I was nitpicked for coming in 5 minutes late, and taking a 15 minute break every so often when I was on SALARY. Awful work environment, it's like everyone there is miserable and wants you to be too.

When your employees ask for stuff, show some effort that you are actually doing what you say you were going to do. If it cannot be done, don't make up lies as to why it cannot happen, we see right through it and it doesn't look good for you, and makes the employee resent you. Try a little positive reinforcement, it goes a long way.