Paychex

www.paychex.com
Employer Engaged

How Former Glory Hath Faded...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is good since work can't follow you home and office hours are set in stone. PTO system is simple and time granted is generous.

Cons

Middle management is haphazardly chosen, changes in company structure have left many teams under the supervision of off-site managers, corporate policies are followed inconsistently or changed without notice, compensation is pathetic and advancement is slow and/or non-existent.

A company cannot be successfully run when only the clients' needs are considered. Your own employees deserve the same or better.

One size does not fit all.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Terrific product and happy clients make me proud to represent this company in my community.

Benefits are excellent and base salary is competitive ( see below for incentive compensation).

Cons

The company has expanded its presence nationwide and moved outside the major metro markets that have traditionaly been successful. Employees in these smaller, slower, sleepier markets are at a distinct disadvantage, as they are held to the same quota as those in much larger markets. Incomprehensibly, quota is assigned solely based on tenure at the compay, with no tie to market growth or company unit/revenue growth trend. One only needs to look at rep rankings from a geographical perspective to see that a new quota distribution schedule should be implemented.

Networking with referral sources is a key requirement of the sales job, in particular for core payroll. However, the company does.not reimburse membership fees to Chambers of Commerce, BNI, SHRM, MGMA and other key referral groups. This can be even more detrimental I'm markets with remote reps and no local office presence, as it it hard to establish Paychex "local and personal" value. In addition, budgets for expenses are horribly low considering that reps are constantly being told to never enter a referral source's office without a treat.

Training ends as soon as classroom instruction (which is excellent) is over. All other "training" is self-study and regurgitation of previous "word tracks" ad nauseum.

Take a fresh look at how to support and truly add training value in the field, rather than recycle over used scenarios. Train management on communication skills and, dare I say, HR no-nos.

Review the sales attainment of representatives by territory size and re-work sales plans in accordance with realistic unit and revenue goals based on true opportunity in smaller versus larger markets.

Great potential.

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Employees are of high caliber. Benefits are good. Some managers are very good. CEO is great. Becoming a more flexible employer with some virtual positions.

Cons

Salaries are on the lower end. Opportunities to grow are very limited. Departments are run too thin so there is not time for professional development or to learn internal changes. Processes and systems are not solid resulting in employees spinning their wheels rather than being productive.

C-level management should believe in placing employee development and training above running an ultra tight department/division. This means allowing managers to hire and train before there is an issue and to be proactive. Employees are overworked, underpaid and using system and equipment that is subpar.

Has potential to be great...

Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Consultant Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Great Benefits
    Wonderful people working by your side
    Technology (recently getting better in this area)

Cons

- Poor management - not great at developing people - you'll have to learn on your own (this will vary from market to market). Strong classroom training program - but there is ZERO in-field training to apply knowledge learned in the classroom. Also don't expect feedback on how to improve if you're lucky enough to have a manager join you on a few sales calls.

- Unrealistic quota increases year over year (30% increase this past fiscal year alone)

- Quotas are so high that it leaves people screwing internal partners out of deals and being OVERLY pushy to prospects/clients.

- Operations is completely understaffed - Causing sales people to extremely over promise, while operations under delivers.

Hire managers who can sell the product but have patience to teach new hires. Stop hiring managers who only sit at their desks and punch numbers into spreadsheets and act like a robot.
    Seriously look at quotas and expected activity levels. You're burning through sales reps because people are too exhausted.

Good Company

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

This job keeps you very busy. Great benefits, good incentives.

Cons

You can't turn it off when you get home.

A great company that cares

Current Employee - Territory Ready Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Ready Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I LOVE working at Paychex. I look forward to coming to work every day. The training is top notch, the benefits are outstanding, and I love what Paychex stands for. The CEO is also awesome and you can tell he truly wants the best for the company AND the employees. The pay is really great too.

Cons

The challenges of this job are the same as any sales job. There are many competitors and we can't always match price. But work hard and show the value and it pays off

Good pay and work environment, tedious and repetitive work.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Paychex part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for an entry-level job requiring no experience. Mostly laid back environment during the work day. Weekends are always off days (except the occasional Saturday during quarter/year end). Big opportunities for advancement in the company. Paid time off and good vacation hours are a plus. Easy to get days off if needed. Job works well around school schedules. Management is very professional along with the environment.

Cons

The hours can go from morning to evening or afternoon to evening (about 8:00/8:30 during the midweek), not leaving much time during the week to get anything done other than going to work. During the busy season, the stress level is significantly higher than usual and the job is not enjoyable that way. Expectations can be sometimes confusing and not expressed clearly. The work is very, very repetitive.

Make sure you inform all new Fulfillment Specialists on the importance of packing speed and productivity expectations as soon as they start. Communicate the inner workings of Distribution to the Payroll Specialists upstairs so that the Fulfillment Specialists do not receive incorrect or confusing packing instructions and make errors. Hire temporary employees for the busy season so the stress level may be lowered.

Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly supportive and positive work environment

Cons

High Standards are in place

N/A

Every day that I work for Paychex, I love the company more and more!

Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in West Henrietta, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in West Henrietta, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First of all, there are endless opportunities for growth with Paychex; as long as you set a career goal and work hard, management will help you attain that goal. The work culture is very respectful, but also fun. Managment stresses work/life balance, which makes it easy to leave work at work!

Cons

Sometimes the job can get a bit monotous, but that can happen with any company!

Please keep doing exactly what you are doing as far as taking employee surveys, having the annual employee meeting, etc! I feel like my voice actually counts, and you are putting your employees first!

Sales experience I wish I had gotten 10 years earlier!

Current Employee - Major Market Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Major Market Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits and nationwide mobility. Perfect for recent graduates and life long sales/management or operations careers. I would be here until retirement if I could afford to!

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to move up if you don't want to move out of state because people want to stay where they are. Typical sales roles and conflicts arise but the product is good! Pay could be better for the stress levels in December/January!

Look at management styles or operation issues at local branches where you see high turnover (poll or interview the sales teams anonymously) to see what is missing in order to help them improve management or customer service concerns that make it hard to sell and keep clients.