Paychex Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.6

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 39 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

high turnover creates turmoil.

Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist
    Current Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

training in the field can't be beat.

Cons

pay is too low for the job duties necessary to do a good job.

Reclassify the job desciption of a senior payroll specialist to be able to pay better in that field to minimize the turnover rate.

Working for a company ranked by Fortune as a "Best Places to Work".

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

There is a high level of respect and appreciation shared by my boss, co-workers and throughout the company. This being said, I understand why we have been ranked as one Fortune's "Best Places to Work". Having worked previously for a former Fortune 500 company, Paychex really stands out in all that is offered to their employees, especially as companies are cutting back. Some examples: importance of work/family balance, pro-active health and wellness opportunities, recognition celebrations, electronic employee newsletter, development planning opportunities, senior managements positive communication at conferences, annual meetings and during year-end. Combined, this helps promote a positive work atmosphere.

Cons

Limited health care benefits offered, prescription coverage is an additional cost. Uncertain of growth in terms of the payscale for my position. The amount of information available to employees is somewhat astounding, it can be difficult to navigate through.

The fact that there has been little to no change in the senior management team at Paychex is an example to your shareholders and employees that you believe and are investing in this company for the long haul. Thus motivating employees to invest their careers here at Paychex as well.

When respect and appreciation are given, it is always received in return.

Paychex - a good place to grow.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

There are excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement within the company...if payroll and human resources are really what you're interested in doing. The University of Paychex is an excellent example of corporate training systems. Necessary information is easily accessed through the company intranet and phone support lines.

My immediate manager is terrific - really cares about employees and is extremely supportive.

Cons

I wish that senior management supported middle management more - it's a tough job and more feedback is needed. Vacation time and salary could be more competitive with the field. More training is necessary for admin positions.

It's not always about numbers. While they may be the easiest way to measure, sometimes there are other issues in play. Take a look at actions, not always results.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nuetral

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The people, very cohesive environment. The flexibility of the job is great and the benefits they offer are great. You can definetely stay at the company for more than 20 years, alot of others do. They offer great training and invest alot in the knowledge of their employees.

Cons

Compensation, the company is very cheap even though they earn huge profits. The compensation is not even close to any salary surveys for the position especially being located in the bay area, definetely nt even fair. The management does not listen nor care about employees, its all about profits and budgeting. They do not reward tyheir employees who work hard so eventually most lose the motivation to do good work.

Listen to your employees

Paychex offers good opportunities for certain career and job paths, but most advancement is found in Rochester, NY.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Good benefits, excelling training and job-related educational material for certain career and job paths

Cons

Salaries are low compared to similar jobs in other companies and fields. Lots of bureaucratic red tape. Low and mid-level leadership at a branch level leaves a lot to be desired. Work environment aspects are stuck in the 1950s, although some progress has been made to update things to the 1990s.

Senior management should make an attempt to streamline various processes so that there is less red tape to navigate through to complete routine tasks.

Lots of opportunities for advancement, but not enough focus on employee satisfaction in current job.

Current Employee - 401(K) Specialist  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - 401(K) Specialist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

Opportunities for advancement within the company is there; there are plenty of open internal positions at most time of the year. The benefits package is quite generous.

Cons

Paychex takes the corporate atmosphere to another level, it is very strict in its rules and there is minimal bending of rules. Job advancement can be difficult at times due to very present office politics. The focus is often on inter-personal relationships as supposed to job expertise and merit in general.

Employee recognition consistently relies on kindergarten and school-level activities: free food, candy, toys...

Listen more to employees and include them in decisions that affect their jobs on a day-to-day basis.

Paychex is a fantastic place to work, learn, grow, and retire.

Current Employee - MMS Sales Representative  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - MMS Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

The best reasons to work at Paychex are the opportunity for advancement and the job stability. Paychex has never had lay offs, and unless you are an idiot, you cannot get fired. It's a great company that does very well, you know they won't be closing their doors anytime soon. People sometimes take Paychex for granted, and then things like this happen to the economy to make you appreciate your current employer. I have been there 10 years now, I went from making $24K to $100K+. I know many people that started as a receptionist or a temp and is now a branch manager or zone manager. Great place to start out of college.

Cons

Some of the downsides are the way promotions are handled. It's all politics, as I'm sure every office is. They need to pay their operations people more though.

Put more money into technology and pay the account specialist more in Major Market Services.

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!