Paychex

Updated December 11, 2014
3.7

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great worklife balance, amazing and constant trainings, strong leaders and management team and feel valued for my thoughts and opinions.

Cons

compensation could be a little better, but unlike other large employers, I don't ever feel threatened for my job security or about the risk of layoffs.

better compensation and more time off or roll-over time off. overall, doing a great job in making this a successful company and in building the company reputation in the marketplace!

Human Resources

Current Employee - Human Resources in Penfield, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Penfield, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big company with a small company feel. My department has the perfect balance of professionalism and fun. We know how to work hard but also how to laugh and enjoy the day. The company provides my family and I great benefits and there is lots of support for me in furthering my career. The company is stable, solid, and growing.

Cons

Pay is decent, not the highest in the marketplace but is certainly not the lowest. Part time opportunities are few and far between.

I am so happy to work here!

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

This is by far the largest company that I have worked for. I love the fact that I work for a large company but I am not just another number. Our Human Resources Department is very engaged with employees and they not only listen but they implement strategies for areas of improvement based on employee feedback.

I work with people who are very engaging, helpful and positive! The training has been out of this world. This is definitely a company that you are able to develop your skills and apply them in different areas of the organization for growth opportunities.

Benefits are great too!

Cons

I would love to have a direct number, they still use extensions here.

Keep doing what you are doing-being engaged, approachable and positive!

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice buildings, opportunities are available

Cons

Some management have big heads

Be real no micromanagement

The best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychex is a place where you can truly take your career into your own hands and grow both professionally and personally. I am involved in their leadership program, mentorship program, and I'm also involved in 3 separate cross-functional project teams. I am given a lot of autonomy to do my job and I feel extremely valued as an employee. My management team above me are true professionals and seem to always support me any way they can. Paychex is honestly the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

To be honest, it's hard to think of cons. If I had to name one thing, I guess it would be the fact that I work in CA and our corporate office is in NY. Sometimes I do feel a bit removed from the rest of the company, because we are all spread out throughout the United States. But, having said that, I do get to see my team during our annual conference and I also travel to visit the managers that I support. We do also use Video Chat to stay connected as a team, which helps bridge that gap.

Paychex Proud

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible financial growth. A true and exciting shift to a culture of innovative technology and flexible service. I have watched this company evolve and change over many years. Now is the very best time to be at Paychex. I love it!

Cons

If you don't like change, Paychex is not for you.

Thank you for everything you do to make this such a great place to work!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paychex is quick to take action on suggestions from employees. Just this week they released several new enhancements that Talent Acquisition requested to My Staffing Pro ATS. Paychex employees are extremely responsive, dedicated and striving to do the right thing for the company and the employees.

Just like with any career choice it pays to be proactive and ask for what you want and if that is a promotion, Paychex, has made it easy to visit the internal career portal and apply after talking to your manager.

Cons

Paychex still uses phone extensions and that can be a bit time consuming waiting for the prompt and I believe they are changing that soon.

Management is creative, engaging and approachable. I would advise for Paychex to keep it that way.

I have worked at Paychex for almost 9 years and have enjoyed every step of my career here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My favorite part about Paychex are the people - they are amazing! My team is like family to me.
    Paychex seems to always be moving forward, always a new product or system to keep us competitive in the market. I have always felt stable with Paychex and in my position.
    Paychex gives back to their employees and to the community - I am so proud to say I work for Paychex.

Cons

Always busy! There is never a dull moment in my position

Thanks for all that you do and for your commitment to making Paychex a great place to work.

Positive environment, supportive managers, nice colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership listens and does not micromanage. Large company and many opportunities for growth. If you are driven and self sufficient, you are afforded a lot of freedom and flexibility. I feel encouraged to take time off and have an actual work life balance. I feel I'm part of a team and valued which is huge for me. People who work here are generally cheerful, positive and nice. I like that there are lots of people I work with who have been here for 20+ years. Goals are reasonable and reachable. Overall very satisfied!

Cons

Some hiccups in process, some additional training needed at times, but mgmt. has been receptive to my requests for help.

Great managers, approachable leadership, continuous improvement at the forefront!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management, company values, training and professional development, benefits, focus on the customer

Cons

brand recognition outside of the greater Rochester area

Keep investing in your people and you will see continued success as an organization!