Paychex Reviews

46 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

Paychex, stay in the small business market where you excel!! Stop trying to be ADP....

Former Employee - Human Resources Sales Representative in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Sales Representative in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Paychex

Pros

That the founder FINALLY retired....Large company, well known, good benefits, in the small business arena most clients love them and the one on one attention to detail. Excellent reporte with the CPA community.

Cons

Paychex is getting too big for its own good. Trying to sell outside of its niche market of small businesses and compete with a antiquated system. Churn and burn environment. Little to no support from management. Paychex is about a century behind everyone else in technology and is very slow in trying to catch up.

Advice to Management

This is the 21st Century. Outside sales reps need certain items to be successful, like computers, database management systems. Judge is making some headway, but Paychex is WAY too slow in embrassing new ideas, and implementing change...

Paychex: The Good, The Bad, and the Not so Ugly

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Mendota, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Mendota, MN

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Paychex was a very fun environment to work in, and very team orientated. They have employee appreciation days, and send you out to New York for training with people from around the country. You'll make great friends you'll keep even after you leave Paychex. You get quarterly bonus' (PIP) based off of your branches performance and your salary. You can, with hard work earn a $2.00 raise in the first year as you go through your course work. The harder you work in your first year, the more you'll make.

Cons

They have set start times and dress codes. You'll get written up if you deviate from these. There is also very little chance for advancement unless you are willing to move out of the state, as there is only one branch office in Minnesota (two counting the satellite sales office in Maple Grove). The raises are also pretty meager after the first year.

Advice to Management

Reward the employees who work the hardest, and you may be able to keep the turn over down to a minimum.

Paychex carries great benefits but lacks sufficient compensation.

Former Employee - Developer III in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Developer III in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Excellent benefits package and work-environment. They work hard at providing a well balanced benefits package that covers any possible need. They even have a legal package that you can contribute to and get legal advice.

Cons

low salaries, and sales driven company. In general the company compensates their sales reps far better than the rest of the company and it goes downward from their. IT is treated better than the business units, and the branch personell are treated the poorest in terms of compensation.

Advice to Management

In order to keep their experienced IT staff they need to compensate and promote better. Traditionally they have had trouble hanging onto their IT staff for extended periods because they do not compete with industry standards for compensation. They have used stock options in the past as a way to incent employees to stick around, but poor stock growth has nullified that approach.

Working for Paychex: it's all pros!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

There are so many! Its a great company that takes great care of its employees! This year it increased our 401k match, lowered our quotas and increased our compensation! As a sales person, they have made it wonderful! Gave us new technology and better assesments of our performance. It helps that I have great managers, too, though.

Cons

We are the most expensive payroll provider, so that's tough at times, but other than that, it's really wonderful! Paperwork sucks, but that's at any job.

Advice to Management

As gas prices are rocketing, I'd hope our gas allowance and/or expenses would too.

Solid company financially but lacking any true leadership or vision (especially in IT)

Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Stability defines Paychex in Rochester. It's a solid place that never lays people off and most have to work at getting fired. There are always annual raises (albeit small) and benefits are VERY good to good.

Cons

Compensation for a position is a joke - and that fact is acknowledged. People are way underpaid for the "privileged" of working at a stable company. It is really a fundamental of the universal risk/reward model. In IT specifically - there is very little real understanding of the technology - and things are slow to change.

Advice to Management

Overhaul the IT division starting with the VP (DC) and all his completely incompetent, infighting Directors. They care far more about showing each other up than providing valuable results for the company. And the VP who runs the circus likes to watch it unfold.

I'd think twice before considering Paychex.

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Decent benefits and somewhat stable work environment.

Cons

Pay well below industry standard. Incompentent managers. Useless training. Outdated software. I had to hear stories from my immediate supervisor about how she crapped her pants and urinated in a cooler in her car in the company parking lot rather than come back inside.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself and your company. What you've accomplished is impressive but this company is not what it once was.

RSS Feed </> Embed