Paychex

Updated December 19, 2014
3.7

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great managers, approachable leadership, continuous improvement at the forefront!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management, company values, training and professional development, benefits, focus on the customer

Cons

brand recognition outside of the greater Rochester area

Keep investing in your people and you will see continued success as an organization!

Great place to learn, develop, and grow!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Year over year, Paychex has been within the Top 125 training companies in the world. The dedication the organization has to personal and professional development makes employees want to continue the learning lifecycle through classroom or WebEx training. Our products are consistently changing to meet the needs of our clients and without this training I would not be able to knowledgeable information to prospects.

Cons

With rapid growth and expansion, it is sometimes difficult to keep up with the changes. Bringing an innovative mindset and time management skills helps to ensure you are meeting any expectations!

Leadership has done a fantastic job rolling out a mission, purpose, and values to the entire company. This has helped me with my daily responsibilities to ensure I am meeting high service expectations and acting as a true partner!

Amazing company, Outstanding Leadership!

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at Paychex for 7 years now, and have been offered the opportunity to experience different levels in my career, various training and development opportunities. The leadership at Paychex have been superb, every one of my current and previous managers have had a positive influence in my career.
    At Paychex I found opportunity to grow professionally, managed my professional development all while maintaining work life balance.

Cons

Not being a very recognized company outside the Rochester area

Paychex is a great company that truly cares about their employees and their professional and personal development.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paychex is ranked as one of the top training companies so they really want to set you up for success from the get go. They look for employees that want to make Paychex their long term career and offer a lot of room for advancement to make sure you stay challenged. The management team is there to coach and support you towards your career goals and there are notifications that you can sign up for so you are always notified of new opportunities that you are interested in.

Cons

Paychex really listens to their employees so there isn't any cons I see at this time.

Management is supportive, approachable, and motivating so I would recommend that it stays that way.

Great sales experience to propel my career.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Ideal place to build sales experience. Excellent sales training program. Recruiters highly seek out this type of B2B experience for Medical Sales. Great benefits. Fun place to work

Cons

Sales cycle can be longer at the beginning of your career. High management turnover. High pressure sales that starts over monthly.

Should have more incentive for rookie of the month, top sales rep for the month. Management is meant to coach and build reps. Not discourage and intimidate struggling reps.

401k HRS or HR Solutions Sales

Current Employee - 401k SALES in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - 401k SALES in Boston, MA

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Medical Insurance
    Decent Vacation and PTO policy
    Good Payroll Company ( THATS IT !!! Then they telemarket you like crazy! to upsell you things you may or may not need but it doesnt matter - They are hungry quota run company),

Cons

High pressure win at all costs pressure from top down
    High turnover - Our team of 8 has only one person over 1 YR.
    Unethical Sales practices - LIE , EXAJERATE, MAKE UP, IGNORE whatever it takes to sell highest revenue product not whats right for client
    ZONE MANAGER - Wants everyone to overcharge 1000.00 over our stock price - Who does this? This isnt carpet sales or vacumes its the MOST ETHICAL COMPANY IN USA? NOT SHADDY SHADDY SHADDY! This is borderline unfair trade practice and hope one day some rep has the balls to whistle blow! but I cant I have kids.
    They make up stuff - One top rep tells clients he has to check everymorning on IRS website to see if clients qualify for the tax credit he told them about - REALLY ITS BEEN AVAILABLE FOR 10 YRS WITH NO TALK OF CHANGE! Yet everyone says its new tax credit that may expire soon ( FALSE DEADLINES) - All Shady unethical sales practices... One rep tells every business owner they are in 35% Tax bracket ( FALSE!!!! To have a true 35% tax bracket after deductions etc you need an income of over 300k!) This business owner had a coffee shop and showed 80k on his return his true marginal rate was 15% after all deductions.... Making his tax savings much less...BUT WAIT!!! This coffee guy was investing 40 a week , thats a little over 2080 a year! He was being charged 2000.00 to open account and 150 a month! WHAT!!!!! The Pizza guy didnt realize he was spending 3800.00 to invest 2080! But the rep sure did!!! ANY LICENSED FINANCIAL ADVISOR, CPA, OR CFP would be fired for this! But paychex hires non financial sales people that go to a 2 week class and dont care!! Its about revene - When you call them out they say hey !!! we helped this guy save for retirement!!!! or he should of known!! or he should of called his CPA - OR HOW ABOUT THE SALES REP SOLD HIM A SIMPLE IRA that costs $25 a month!!! Oh NO CANT DO THAT SENIOR MANAGEMENT SAID NOT TO SELL THOSE!!!! They dont pay enought !!!!! REAL ETHICAL!!!
    I can go on and on!!! Every training is about Selling and overcoming objections because if youd ont close sale on first appointment and they talk to CPA or FA you probably wont close it! I have heared reps tell clients we train the CPAs on tax shelters and CPAs are good at filing reports but dont undertsand retirment planning ! LOL!!! TELL A CPA who went to school that some guy who sold yellow page ads last month took a 2 week down and dirty class on SELLING 401ks has more TAX and retirement experience than the CPA !! HA!!!!! GET REAL... But thats all this is SELL AT ALL COSTS AT HIGHEST PRICE YOU CAN GET! OVERCHARGEing allowed!
    LONG STORY SHORT - DONT COME HERE!!! YOU WILL FEEL DIRTY IF YOUR HONEST! OR SMART!

Fire the ZONE managers who encourage overcharging ! , Using higher costs fund options that dont benefit clienst but beenfit sales. who encourgage reps to sell plans knowing they will blow up ( A CPA, EA, or FA would never encourage a client to do something that may cause an IRS or DOL audit) but our maangement does because QUOATA is more important than being ethical or doing the right thing! I have been here for almost two years and now recently i feel the level of unethical sales practices and win at all cost is getting worse - YET I am sure management is only seeing sales are up! I am finally starting to realize you cant be a proffesional doing right when surrounded by USED car sales people! FIX IT! Paychex used to be a good company - you can be ethical and make sales!

Good experience, not a place I would stay long term.

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in North Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in North Reading, MA

I have been working at Paychex full-time

Pros

Great outside sales experience that you can apply to careers elsewhere. Other companies target paychex sales reps to recruit.

A lot of autonomy with outside sales jobs. Great work life balance.

Cons

The environment in the office is terrible. Operations people are overworked and under paid and resent sales reps as a result. Their is no teamwork between sales and ops.

Sales management is very weak. Paychex keeps promoting good sales reps to manage teams and just because they are good at selling they are not cut out for for managing. Eventually they demote these managers back to being sales reps and repeat the process all over again.

Paychex management has a set script or "word tracks" for every situation. And rather than treat each situation individually and be human beings they simply recite whichever script applies.

Raise compensation. Stop whittling away at the compensation plan as you have been doing the past three years.

Overhaul talent evaluation and hiring process. Hire managers who have the characteristics that make up good managers and not good sales reps.

Stop relying on policy to dictate decisions and actually take the time and effort to make optimal decisions that best serve the company, clients and employees.

Good company; poor manager

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychex was an excellent and very stable company to work for and I have a lot of respect for the top leaders.

Cons

Unfortunately, I had a very poor manager who could not manage her way out of paper bag. Employees are promoted from within and most of them are 18-20 year veterans, which says a lot for the company on some levels. On the other hand, there is very little regard for individuals who have strong industry experience who come in from the outside and have a different perspective. Different perspectives and innovation are not well tolerated here. Status quo is the norm of the day. They talk a good game about innovation, but don't really deliver in the end. They appear to be satisfied with being a laggard in the industry. They don't really want to be number one or two, but they have such potential if they would just apply themselves and get out of their own way. They get lost in their own bureaucratic ways and I found them resistant to change and new ways of thinking.

Get out of your own way. Embrace what is different. Don't run from diversity, which makes you stronger in the end. Diverse thinking. Diverse approaches. Diverse backgrounds. Also, be careful who you promote. The can be a strong individual contributor, but some people just aren't cut out for management.

Typical corporate structure.

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and stock options

Cons

Typical corporate structure. Need to focus on customer service and not the bottom line

There are some in management that need to move on

Good place to learn payroll

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, constant trainings, daytime hours

Cons

management has unrealistic expectations. Changes are made with little consideration to how it may affect employees

When implementing changes there needs to be more consideration on how this will affect payroll specialists and clients.