Paychex Reviews

Reset
3.7
Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • Work life balance was better than most (in 48 reviews)

• great work/life balance, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the department, there is no work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Sales Reps are also very inconsiderate as they will walk around the office cursing on the phone even when you are on calls with clients (in 32 reviews)

1. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment, unlimited potential for income, fast paced environment, good benefits, health insurance, 401K, stock purchase plan, vacation, tuition assistance

Cons

management can be improved, sometimes policies can be restricting, dress code can be a bit too strict, not a huge allowance for cars &^ phone

Advice to Management

Make sure you have leaders that are motivated to lead, that lead by example. Control your turnover on the management level and on the representative level

2. 85% positive.

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical stable company. Seems to be on the right track product and tech wise. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay is low. Can be very stressful. Some micro management and lack of flexibility. Work life balance can improve. Some areas embrace work from home while others are against it. A lot of change. Sometimes it seems like they are making it up as they go along. Need to improve execution and communication of strategy and changes.

Advice to Management

Remember employees are greatest resource and pay them appropriately. Communicate better when changes happen. Create project plans with resources to manage all aspect of significant changes and initiatives. Do something about the managers that need to change.

3. Employee Focused

Current Employee - Client Service Supervisor in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Client Service Supervisor in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong company values Innovation, Respect, Partnership, Accountability, Service, Integrity. Also focus on developing a strong culture and keeping things employee centric.

Cons

New service management changing focus to client satisfaction at cost of employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Return to focus on employee satisfaction and client satisfaction will follow. Will also increase employee retention and save cost of new hire onboarding.

5. Strong, Stable Company

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability and lots of room for internal growth and development

Cons

Pay may not be as competitive as other, smaller companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in competitive benefit packages to recruit and retain top talent

6. Integrity is everything!

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seeing the sad news about Trinet, with a class action lawsuit pending for fraud, makes me even more Paychex Proud!! Integrity is our core value and we live it every day.

Cons

If you don't like change and growth, Paychex isn't for you.

7. Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

training is really good and relevant

Cons

low wages and annual raises are minimal

Advice to Management

Lead!

8. Data Warehouse Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leading edge resources Strong Life/Work balance values Successful and highly respected in the industry

Cons

Inconsistent directions in tool selection

9. Fragmented Approach

Former Contractor - Software Developer in Rochester, NY
    Former Contractor - Software Developer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was nice to train in Rochester for the first three months. The training was kind of inadequate but I really loved Rochester. The pay rate was very good.

Cons

The apps they have are very complex in the business domain. There were just a few that were truly knowledgable. Some were willing to share, others not so much. Each team had wildly different personalities and approaches to their projects.

Advice to Management

While I worked well with all of the teams but one, I never felt I could go to management with my problems in order to avoid backlash from fellow team members.

IT is a mixed bag

I have been working at Paychex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong Co-Op program with Rochester Institute of Technology which has led to numerous full time hires after which does help bring in eager young new talent.

Cons

Always pay at the absolute bottom end of a salary range for starting employees. IT is still a very segmented division without a lot of communication between departments. New management is trying to clean this up but a decade+ of bad business decisions and crazy processes are a mountain to overcome. Agile process might be right direction for our development teams but not so much IT. Just competent managers and project managers that know how to run projects and manage employees would suffice.

Advice to Management

Better balance the departments in IT so some aren't working non stop 60+ hour weeks and others barely get over 30 hours of work a week per person.

11. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clearly articulated vision, "3 Billion in 5 years". To have a vision that is well understood by everyone in the company is rare and something to be celebrated, even if missed.

Cons

Too strict in role definitions. Cannot go outside what your job title is. This is very stifling. Also some people's entire jobs are around non-value add process. And you can't change them because then you are basically cutting someone's job. I also wish they would get rid of some people. Keeping deadweight encourages mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Layoffs are not in the culture, I get that. But now there is a culture of complacency and mediocrity. You can see the tech perspective starting to take over but if you really want to attract the best and the brightest, expect more from your current employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed