Paychex

Updated November 18, 2014
3.6

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great big company experience.

Current Employee - IT Professional in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, work with the latest technologies, work with incredibly smart people everyday, lots of opportunity for advancement if your motivated, stable profitable company! One of the best in Rochester.

Cons

Reorganizations in IT not always for the better. To many layers. Paychex needs to build a better reputation in the IT community by participating more in industry events and groups. Would improve hiring capabilities.

Build a campus setting, not separate buildings all over Rochester for IT.

Great place to put down roots...

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that invests in your development and rewards success. I spent 10 years at my previous company before coming here and immediately felt the difference when I joined the Paychex family. This is an organization that operates with strong business ethics under a strong and forward thinking leader. I am so glad I came to Paychex!

Cons

If hard pressed, I would say that because I work on a team where many of my colleagues sit in other offices, it would be great if we had more of an opportunity to be together in person.

An experience that was rewarding in the long run

Former Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company stability, job security, wealth of knowledge and go-to for help. There are many ways that you can develop professionally with training

Cons

Pay, conservative atmosphere, very "corporate". The work atmosphere is too corporate. Getting rid of the cubicles would help make the environment more engaging

Hard Working Managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managers have a strong sense of responsibility. The culture is that even if you have been with the company a long time, you still need to work hard. This is nice to see when working up to management.

Cons

Entry level jobs are very monotonous and boring. There are strict standards on overtime.

Maintain the culture promoting hard working managers. Be quicker to promote from within - You lose great people when you are slow at this.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management takes an actual interest in your goals and helps you to learn/grow so that you're able to continue to progress within the company. There's so much training available to take advantage of and make yourself a viable candidate for future opportunities. It's nice to work for a company that gives back to it's local community.

Cons

The salary can sometimes be below market average but the benefits are very reasonably priced and help to make up for that.

Human Resources

Current Employee - Human Resources in Penfield, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Penfield, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big company with a small company feel. My department has the perfect balance of professionalism and fun. We know how to work hard but also how to laugh and enjoy the day. The company provides my family and I great benefits and there is lots of support for me in furthering my career. The company is stable, solid, and growing.

Cons

Pay is decent, not the highest in the marketplace but is certainly not the lowest. Part time opportunities are few and far between.

Good company-Positive Direction

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong culture, community minded. A lot of opportunity for growth. Very innovative and extremely stable. Leaders are not satisfied with the status quo, always looking for better ways of doing things. Benefits are very good compared to many other companies.

Cons

Consistent change can be challenging but is also helpful.

Continue to seek feedback from your employees to implement change.

Great place to learn, develop, and grow!

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Year over year, Paychex has been within the Top 125 training companies in the world. The dedication the organization has to personal and professional development makes employees want to continue the learning lifecycle through classroom or WebEx training. Our products are consistently changing to meet the needs of our clients and without this training I would not be able to knowledgeable information to prospects.

Cons

With rapid growth and expansion, it is sometimes difficult to keep up with the changes. Bringing an innovative mindset and time management skills helps to ensure you are meeting any expectations!

Leadership has done a fantastic job rolling out a mission, purpose, and values to the entire company. This has helped me with my daily responsibilities to ensure I am meeting high service expectations and acting as a true partner!

Paychex Proud

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible financial growth. A true and exciting shift to a culture of innovative technology and flexible service. I have watched this company evolve and change over many years. Now is the very best time to be at Paychex. I love it!

Cons

If you don't like change, Paychex is not for you.

Thank you for everything you do to make this such a great place to work!

I have worked at Paychex for almost 9 years and have enjoyed every step of my career here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My favorite part about Paychex are the people - they are amazing! My team is like family to me.
    Paychex seems to always be moving forward, always a new product or system to keep us competitive in the market. I have always felt stable with Paychex and in my position.
    Paychex gives back to their employees and to the community - I am so proud to say I work for Paychex.

Cons

Always busy! There is never a dull moment in my position

Thanks for all that you do and for your commitment to making Paychex a great place to work.