Paychex Reviews in Rochester, NY

Updated October 14, 2014
3.5

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 46 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

124 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management takes an actual interest in your goals and helps you to learn/grow so that you're able to continue to progress within the company. There's so much training available to take advantage of and make yourself a viable candidate for future opportunities. It's nice to work for a company that gives back to it's local community.

Cons

The salary can sometimes be below market average but the benefits are very reasonably priced and help to make up for that.

Good company-Positive Direction

Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources Recruiter in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Strong culture, community minded. A lot of opportunity for growth. Very innovative and extremely stable. Leaders are not satisfied with the status quo, always looking for better ways of doing things. Benefits are very good compared to many other companies.

Cons

Consistent change can be challenging but is also helpful.

Continue to seek feedback from your employees to implement change.

Human Resources

Current Employee - Human Resources in Penfield, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Penfield, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a big company with a small company feel. My department has the perfect balance of professionalism and fun. We know how to work hard but also how to laugh and enjoy the day. The company provides my family and I great benefits and there is lots of support for me in furthering my career. The company is stable, solid, and growing.

Cons

Pay is decent, not the highest in the marketplace but is certainly not the lowest. Part time opportunities are few and far between.

Paychex Proud

Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible financial growth. A true and exciting shift to a culture of innovative technology and flexible service. I have watched this company evolve and change over many years. Now is the very best time to be at Paychex. I love it!

Cons

If you don't like change, Paychex is not for you.

Thank you for everything you do to make this such a great place to work!

I have worked at Paychex for almost 9 years and have enjoyed every step of my career here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My favorite part about Paychex are the people - they are amazing! My team is like family to me.
    Paychex seems to always be moving forward, always a new product or system to keep us competitive in the market. I have always felt stable with Paychex and in my position.
    Paychex gives back to their employees and to the community - I am so proud to say I work for Paychex.

Cons

Always busy! There is never a dull moment in my position

Thanks for all that you do and for your commitment to making Paychex a great place to work.

Great managers, approachable leadership, continuous improvement at the forefront!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management, company values, training and professional development, benefits, focus on the customer

Cons

brand recognition outside of the greater Rochester area

Keep investing in your people and you will see continued success as an organization!

Great place to learn, develop, and grow!

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Year over year, Paychex has been within the Top 125 training companies in the world. The dedication the organization has to personal and professional development makes employees want to continue the learning lifecycle through classroom or WebEx training. Our products are consistently changing to meet the needs of our clients and without this training I would not be able to knowledgeable information to prospects.

Cons

With rapid growth and expansion, it is sometimes difficult to keep up with the changes. Bringing an innovative mindset and time management skills helps to ensure you are meeting any expectations!

Leadership has done a fantastic job rolling out a mission, purpose, and values to the entire company. This has helped me with my daily responsibilities to ensure I am meeting high service expectations and acting as a true partner!

Great place to learn and succeed!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at Paychex as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was made to feel like I had worked there for years, even though I was only there for a temporary 6 week assignment. The other employees were very helpful and would even ask me questions. The management didn't stand over my shoulders, they trusted me to do my job and then thanked me for completing everything and offering to help my co-workers complete their assignments.

Cons

Would have liked to been hired on as a permanent employee but there were no openings.

Stress Overload

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Paychex full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training in payroll and payroll taxes

Cons

Pay does not match responsibility and work load, micromanaged

overworked, underpaid and underappreciated

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm getting paid. Not very well, but it's better than my previous jobs. The health care insurance is good.

Cons

We are paid too little for the amount of work we do. We keep having the tools we need for success taken away. Posting for a new position is a complete waste of time since no one hires the best person for the job. Unless you're in sales or management, you'll never go anywhere.

Start figuring out how to keep your employees. My department has hemorrhaged employees in the past 6 months because management can't figure out how to retain them.