Paycom

Paycom Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Paycom President Chad Richison

Chad Richison

Pros:
  • "The company is growing every year and you can move up into a management role fairly quickly"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Amazing base salary and commission structure"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sales reps that care only about overselling and not knowing the system"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Just as in any job that you want to be successful in, it takes hard work and dedication"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Endless Opportunity, Focus on Development & Growth, Very Competitive Compensation Plan

Executive Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the great things about working for Paycom is the opportunity you are given here. I never thought I would have an opportunity to make a six figure salary at the age of 24. The company is growing every year and you can move up into a management role fairly quickly. Compensation is the highest in the industry and they provide a great benefits package. The company invests so much time and $ into each reps personal growth and development both personal and professional.

ConsYou have to be a very driven and self-motivated person to be successful here. If you are willing to commit and put in the extra effort and hard work, it will be extremely worth it. If you are just looking for the cushy salary but are not an overachiever, this might not be the job for you. Mediocrity is just not acceptable at this company. Every day is very busy and it can be stressful at times but its all worth it!

If Paycom were an exercise program, I would already have washboard abs.

Manager (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time for less than a year

Pros1. They actually give a crap about individual successes.
As a new employee, when I suggested a better way of doing something in our department they said, "Great! Make it happen!" and gave me full permission to move ahead.
A lot of organizations will rattle off ten reasons why the idea won't work, then grind it to death under the boot heel of endless approval processes. At Paycom the attitude seems to be "Well, we tried that and didn't get very far. What would you do differently?"

2. There is a culture of rapid improvement that I haven't experienced elsewhere. It's gratifying to see a project go from concept to completion as quickly as it does around here.

3. I like the perks as much as the next person ($4 lunches, etc.), and the pay is competitive, but that's just to get top talent in the door.
My favorite thing about Paycom is that I feel like what I do matters. I've worked for non-profits and didn't think I could feel as fulfilled "working for the man," but I don't feel that way anymore. Being successful puts me in a better place to give back in the future

ConsI wish I had more vacation time early on. Flex time or something like it would be nice.

Paycom is a wonderful company, providing terrific opportunities for both personal and professional growth.

I have been working at Paycom

ProsPaycom encourages personal growth and gives you the tools to become an outstanding salesperson. With an extremely generous benefit plan, they are interested in attracting and retaining top talent.

ConsYou might say that I've drank the kool-aide, but I can't think of any cons for the company. In the early month of working you need to put a lot of energy into the position. But like any other high-paying position, if you want to be successful you have to put the time in.

Good and bad all rolled up into one tortilla

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCatered lunches= $4.
Constant Paycom cheer leading & freebies (ie: shirts, pens, etc).
On-site gym
Medical care= $1 (not including vision & dental).
Company wide participation events (ie: contests, trivia, fundraising).
Employee recognition.
Parties.
Company is growing and there is good job security.
Benefits are decent & there is a 401k plan with match.
For many departments, generally consistent hours.

ConsLots of office politics.
Cliques are not discouraged.
The quality of your experience working for Paycom will depend on your department/team
In my own team, employees with bad work ethics have been rewarded, good behaviors are overlooked.
On the same note, rewards are often left to chance instead of merit.
Don't expect to get most holidays off-- do expect to come in during inclement weather... or else.
Not a lot of vacation or sick time.
Internal growth is minimal outside of your own department, Paycom has few internal positions posted, most are for external applicants only .
Lower level management has "training" on leadership by people inexperienced in leadership. Managers/leads don't understand what it means to be a leader as opposed to a "boss."
The company calls itself a training company, but when 20 somethings are training on topics they have no experience with... lessons can't be taken seriously.
Lacks diverse work force. Lots of fresh out of college, women, in their early 20s. This can make for a very "high school" atmosphere.
No part-time positions.
The interview process .... is just terrible on every level from tests to the interviewers being prepared.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent within the company on expectations. Don't let some departments have rampant poor work ethics while others have high standards. Set company standards for what is expected and enforce them... for example, some departments have very high punctuality standards, others allow tardiness to run rampant.

Flag Review

Paycom Representative responded to this review

Dec 10, 2013

We are committed to continuously evaluating our policies and procedures within our organization and embrace the opinions of each of our employees. As such, we survey our workforce each year and found ... More

Great pay, but high turnover and bad management

Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Pay, Young Employees, Fun, Lots of growth and opportunities for management

ConsCold calling, management is very pressured for sales and reflects their anger on employees, exec level management is not transparent in what they are doing. They were supposed to go public 3 years ago and were preparing us for that, but it never happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees

Have to like Cold Calling

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Paycom as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company spends a ton of money on their training program. They employees are great, and usually like to have fun, as well as, work.

ConsI had an intern position and I felt like I was ill prepared for the interview. One problem is because the company is focusing on expanding so much, the managers are often ill equipt...

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend as much time with the managers as you do with the sales people starting off.

Flag Review

Paycom Representative responded to this review

Dec 5, 2013

We do promote a work hard, play hard culture and calling prospects falls in the working hard category. Thank you for telling others about the amount of resources we put into our training programs. As ... More

Awesome Company

Executive Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaycom is growing so quickly and there is so much room for growth. There is an EXCELLENT culture and all of the sales reps are like a big family. I feel professionally challenged everyday and I have grown so much through Paycom.

ConsThe first year is very intense because you have to learn so many aspects of a company but after you build that foundation, then it gets so much easier.

Amazing People, Great Technology, Game Changing Opportunity

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have worked for Paycom for 6 years. From day one this has been the most rewarding experience of my life. While my friends struggled to find something they were passionate about I started to advance my career. Over the past 6 years, I have been about to grow as a sales person and a manager. With most companies you have to wait 10-15 year to make the money and have the impact I have today! It has been hard work but nothing in life worth having is easy. Paycom has the best product, service and overall value in the industry.

ConsI really don't have any thing bad to say. It's a great fit for me. If you are driven, smart and hard working you will love it!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build the best management and sales team in America.

Amazing Company

Recruiter (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Paycom as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPay, Advancement, Culture, and Growth. I have never heard of a company where people can make so much and do so much in a short period of time. Interview process is streamlined but still covers all of the bases. Normal interview process start to finish is always less than two weeks. I am an external recruiter for Paycom at Summit Executive Recruiting and we love sending people to Paycom!

ConsNone, but not a company for average performers. They will only take the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. As you continue to grow do everything possible to keep the outstanding culture that you have built in tact.

Great company if you can hack it

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Paycom full-time for less than a year

Pros-Amazing talent, they really do recruit the most impressive sales people
-Great pay, they are always looking for ways to increase your commission. I would get a check and have it be much higher than expected because of small bonuses they included.
-Constant training and personal development. Every Monday we would train on a topic, every Friday there is another one for the entire company. They are constantly flying you places for corporate training and they even have 2 weeks when you first start of all day training. Trust me-They want you to know what you're doing!

ConsOverall it's still a sales job. You are required to meet a certain number of appointments, bring in a certain quota and hit specific numbers. They pay you well for a reason. The manager I had was fantastic, she worked just as long and hard as her reps, but I've heard not all offices have someone like that. I ultimately had to leave because I couldn't stand talking to people all day about payroll, they are just miserable. If you are able to handle stress well and can get over the fact that you're selling payroll, then the money is absolutely worth it!

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job, keep up the good work. Vacation during first year could be better.

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!

Paycom Videos

Paycom – Why Work for Us?

Paycom was founded in Oklahoma City in 1998 as the first online payroll company capable of serving mid-size businesses. Paycom’s CEO spent years in the payroll industry and knew there had to be a better way to service… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paycom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Paycom CEO Chad Richison. All 102 reviews posted anonymously by Paycom employees.