Paycom

Updated December 10, 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Change. Opportunities. Growth. Reward.

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Change: Paycom is constantly changing and moving at a fast pace because we do what it takes to make our clients happy with our customer service and products. We are constantly creating new ideas and innovating products to improve our system.

Opportunities: This is not an easy job, but the best part of it is that we receive opportunities daily. Most would see these as "challenges" but it is all on your perspective. Because of the constant changes and developments, this brings opportunities to think outside the box, create new ideas, learn new skill(s), and improve yourself personally and professionally. You will learn something new at least once a day.

Growth: These opportunities that we receive daily only stretch us to grow personally and professionally. This is where our most success comes from. If we see ourselves improving then our work effort will increase. Paycom and ourselves benefit from this. The more Paycom grows and improves, the more we grow and improve.

Reward: If we put in the hard work to help build this company to be successful then the more reward we get as individuals. The satisfactory of overcoming an opportunity is extremely rewarding. These actions do not go unnoticed. The managers and executives notice when hard work is being put forth and that you are dedicated to the company's vision. This leads to recognition and promotions. On top of that, the company environment is phenomenal! Everyone is so welcoming and have the same passion of striving towards Paycom's vision. The company takes care of its employees by offering fantastic benefits, affordable lunches daily, cheap vending snack/drink items, themed functions to participate in, competitions and etc.

Cons

Leadership Trainings/Classes: This is specifically for those who really what to grow and move forward as a leader. For a company you talks highly about its leaders and looking for the next leaders, having leadership course available would be beneficial. There are hardly classes or trainings on this to better ourselves. This is something that is not completely available to us.

Hearing your employee's feedback is great. It lets us know that we do not go unnoticed or unheard. Since Paycom is known for its hard working employees and great services, it lets us know you truly care. Continue to fight and stand for us and we will continue to do what is asked of us as employees.

Moving on up

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many things to like about Paycom. A few I can think of are:

-Each position has a defined track of development. You're never left with a question of when your next raise is coming- it is all laid out for you. Advancement is based on productivity, not seniority.
    -Great benefits. Employees pay $1 for health insurance. If you have a family, they have tiered options from which to choose your health benefits to make it more affordable.
    -Fun activities! We have a yearly fall festival to the pumpkin patch, Santa comes to corporate, and National Payroll Week is a blast!
    - Paycom also generously gives to the community. I won't work for a company that won't give.

Cons

Holidays are our busiest time. Being a customer focused organization, we have to make sure we are here for our customers. That means little time off at the end of the year. Most employees are able to earn overtime to get additional money during that time though.

Keep up the good work. Continue to look at benefits and vacation.

The grass is green right here!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is constantly looking for ways to make the culture and perks the best around for employees. They offer catered lunches every day for $4 from eat-in quality restaurants. To burn off the lunches they offer boot camp, zumba and yoga classes several times each day in our gym facility. You can also participate in intramural activities like basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf... etc. I only pay $1 for health insurance every pay-period, which is unheard of. They are also very aware of the market and competitive pay!

Outside of the monetary perks, one of the best parts about working at Paycom is the opportunity to build a career and to promote quickly. You don't have to wait for someone to die or retire to promote at Paycom like you do at many other places. That sounds terrible, but it's true! I've been given the opportunity to grow and advance very quickly, even though most of my working experience has only been with Paycom. I have grown tremendously both personally and professionally since working here. I know that they invest in me as an employee and want me to succeed and meet all of my goals.

Cons

Paycom moves quickly and is always looking to improve. You should certainly embrace change and be willing to grow personally and professionally if you are hired at Paycom!

Amazing company

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. I truly drive to work every morning with a smile on my face. The work you do here truly makes a difference no matter what department you are in and that is truly a rewarding feeling. The company is always thinking of ways to say thank you to employees and you can tell that it is appreciated... The atmosphere and culture is very positive.

Cons

During certain times of the year, long hours may be required. If you are not willing to put in the work needed during these periods, look elsewhere. It is worth it though!

Continue developing leaders from within and promoting personal and professional growth. Keep it up!

Paycom Response

Dec 5, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review of Paycom! Developing leaders from all levels within our organization is, and will continue to be, a big part of our organization. In fact, we developing additional ... More

The Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The office culture - we hire really smart, driven, positive, service-oriented people which makes for a great environment. I respect all my coworkers. They make me better and it makes coming to work enjoyable.
    Our product - I truly believe we have the best product in our industry which makes selling it, marketing it, and supporting it fun. It's awesome to work for a company/service/product you can be passionate about.
    The opportunity - The sky is the limit at Paycom. The growth we see year over year creates incredible career opportunities for committed employees. The success stories I've seen are truly inspiring and Paycom encourages the success of its employees through great training programs and leadership.

Cons

It's hard to find cons to write about at Paycom. I've worked at quite a few places in my 21-year career and seen a lot of corporate dysfunction. It's just not like that at Paycom. We have growing pains from time-to-time. Sometimes it's hard to hire fast enough so the work load becomes heavy and there are seasons where it's more stressful than others but it's always temporary.

As we get bigger and bigger, be intentional in keeping the culture we have. Continue to show your commitment to employees through great training and perks and opportunities. Don't ever stop surveying and looking for ways to affect positive change throughout the organization. You do a great job now, don't lose it as we double, triple and quadruple in size.

Good but a little too busy

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close knit type of company

Cons

Only close knit if you are in sales

Best job in 20 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my two decade career, I have been with Paycom for only a little more than a year but I can honestly say that among my many jobs, it's the most secure, the most rewarding and the most fun. Corporations are not always a good fit for my creative personality, but this has proven to be the exception.

In previous jobs, one of the worst things was dealing with toxic co-workers. Here they are not tolerated -- if they are hired at all they aren't kept around. In other words a friendly atmosphere of mutual respect is something I can look forward to each and every day. The diversity of workers is surprising for such a red state but something to be proud of 100%. While I came in with enough experience to bypass the entry-level positions, opportunities for advancement still exist for me and that's rare for so few OKC corporations.

Training is thorough, ongoing, and covers more topics beyond just stuff we need to know for our jobs. Work-life balance definitely exists and is encouraged. The perks are terrific from $1 health insurance to $4 catered lunches daily.

Cons

The only real disappointment I had upon joining Paycom is the same more than a year later --- vacation time. There is not enough of it that first year compared to other companies, and if you like to take your vacation days in large chunks the accrual system can work against you depending upon when you start in the year. That changes upon your 1year anniversary, but the accrual system is still there.

The vacation time issue should be addressed. At a company meeting about a year ago one of the VP's said it was being looked at...but no announcement has been made since.

Growing Company Offering Excellent Career Growth

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is fast-paced, fun and vibrant. I'm challenged every day to be the best I can be. I manage a large group of employees and am thrilled to have the opportunity to help them grow in their career and to watch them build their skill sets by providing them with more and more opportunities every day. That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company!

Cons

Paycom is not able to offer much flexibility, like working from home, or working flexible hours. This is unfortunate, however it is understandable. Many of our employees deal with very confidential information, so to insure the safety of the data, it never leaves Paycom.

Rapid growth can sometimes breed confusion and chaos. Paycom needs to stay committed to open communication, regular "all employee" meetings and leadership development.

Everything I hoped for and then some!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom leadership loves their employees! They know we don't have cushy corporate positions, almost every position is performance based. Recruiters even have quotas!! The in-house recruiters are really sales professionals. We make cold calls, pitch the deal, influence working professionals to make a change in career and almost ALL of our candidates are sourced from different internet sites. We literally present a sales pitch to get these top performers from other industries interested. It is not like any other recruiting department I have ever seen before and I love it! I am challenged but also rewarded with a strong compensation plan and great perks. We have an awesome team that knows we are needed to ensure Paycom can continue to grow and open new offices.

Cons

Very few people within the organization understand that Paycom recruiting is really selling Paycom every single day. We are just now getting to use all of the resources necessary with college, agencies and other things to staff the masses.

Keep growing. Keep hiring people like the recruiting leaders who bring outside ideas in and have a positive and fun personality. Additional vacation would be a plus and I know you guys are working on that as I type! Really we have an amazing team of dedicated professionals and I am so excited to see where we are next year and the years after. I am looking to a fun and challenging ride to industry dominance and getting a lot of great hires!

It's ok

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing so I am sure there is opportunity for growth if you can get ahead of the 100 people more tenured in front of you.

Cons

Work-Life Balance: this company believe in burning you out quickly. If you can make through a year (specifically the end of the year) you can work harder and get ready for the end of the next year. the company is understaffed and underpaid for anyone lower than a supervisor level.

Promote more people who deserve it and quit playing large corp politics mixed with small family politics of hiring friends of the bosses.

Paycom Response

Dec 5, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear you were not pleased during your time at Paycom. As one of the nation's fastest-growing companies, we are always looking for ways to improve and continue to look for talented ... More