Paycom Reviews

Reset
4.1
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

1. Great Opportunity and Experience / Advice

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity that Paycom gives you as a Sales Rep is amazing. You are strategically selling enterprise software to the c-level, managing complicated sales processes from prospecting all the way through to implementation in one of the most competitive markets out there. If you are successful at this, do you know how amazing that is!? And it's not like the company puts the carrot out there and hope that you get it. The Chief Sales Officer hands you over the formula for success and personally trains you on how to achieve it. Your manager will also put in as many extra hours as it takes to help you become the best you can be. Not every company has this much dedication to new rep training. Even after a year, every single day I learn something new or get better at SOMETHING. My colleagues both in my office and across the country are smart, determined people who challenge me to be the best version of myself. They bring me up. Then of course there's the compensation, the type of comp plan usually reserved for sales reps with 10 to 15 years on experience. Paycom gives you the opportunity to have a senior level sales salary as soon as you can make it. For most people that takes a year or so, but I've seen quite a few people do it in under a year. Other pros - Very clear expectations, very clear path for growth, employee stock purchase plan (15% off the stock), good health benefits, executive sales rep training once a quarter.

Cons

I am fine with the number of days off a year we get, but my con is not getting the approval to take a full week in a row off for PTO even when having the days and over quota for the year, or simply just not being able to get the approval until closer to the day off. Taking the full week of vacation is highly discouraged, and not being able to get the approval for days off in advance makes planning a vacation very stressful. This could be different office to office, but it's my only real CON for the job from a long-term perspective. I really hope this improves. The next item isn't a con, but it might feel like it for certain people. The first year as a sales rep is really hard, and it's because you are doing a hard job. You HAVE to be tough and push through, trusting that the hard work you are putting into the job will pay off and keeping your eye on the big picture. When it's hard, you have to take a step back and realize that if it you just keep moving forward, you will get better and the job will get easier. I put everything into this job my first year, and I am starting to reap the rewards - Great work/life balance, great pay, and a great life.

Advice to Management

The culture at Paycom is amazing, and you've done an amazing job of establishing this culture from the top down. Continue to embrace ideas of change from the bottom up. Take suggestions for improvements as compliments: a ton of people who care so much about Paycom that they are trying to make it the best it could possibly be.

2. The Kool-Aid tastes pretty good

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and atmosphere. Great team environment. Great lunches and lots of extras for employees

Cons

Fairly mind numbing work. Lots of sitting. Growing too big too fast to be able to maintain worker/manager relationship for long

Advice to Management

People would rather get more money than all of the schwag. Make sure you hire the right people for the right position. Burn out can happen really fast in a place like that.

3. Great company, managers leave something to be desired

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who are passionate about the work and fun to work with. Decent pay. Beautiful campus. Fun luncheons and perks.

Cons

Certain members of the management team in PSD are horrible. They don't know how much work the specialists and team leaders have to do. They don't appreciate the work that specialists do and that's clear in the way they interact with us. Nothing is ever good enough.

Advice to Management

Reassess who you have in leadership positions. How can you lead a group of people if you are clearly not a people person? You have the best group of employees possible, but they are being chased away by some terrible leaders. Move bad managers to positions that are more fitting for them...require less interaction with people. People don't quit their jobs they quit their boss.

5. Eh

Former Employee - Tax Specialist
    Former Employee - Tax Specialist

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The gym and the coworkers

Cons

Bad communication between departments when it is essential while filing taxes or preparing payroll for the clients. Really terrible training. Team Leads that weren't qualified to do their jobs. Didn't know how to assist their team and instead make you figure everything out on your own. Mandatory OT is hard and their 401k matching plan is bad compare to other companies.

Advice to Management

Really improve on your training and ensure the team leads are qualified to do their jobs.

6. Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Income potential is amazing. Tiered salary.... as you achieve particular sales metrics your base increases to 80k, 90k, 100k then 120k. Commissions can be amazing if you are successful.

Cons

Zero work life balance. Beginning of the week is mandatory in office, then Friday afternoon is a sales call that starts at 4:15 p.m. (to make sure you spend every last minute in the office). Very high pressure sales. If you don't meet your quota, expect your base salary to drop.... if you consistently don't meet it then except to be fired.

Earn it

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my job as an outside sales rep at Paycom. After years as a sales manager in other industries, I feel so fulfilled in a position where I can be competitive in a fun team environment, and where I know the hard work I put in will pay off. I believe strongly in a meritocracy, and love the passion and dedication of the people I work with.

Cons

It does take some time to become successful- you need to be open and committed to intense and ongoing training, be willing to put some time into building your own base and your reputation, and have faith that this company will honestly reward you more with every day of honest, loyal and earnest performance.

8. Rewarding job for those who work extremely hard!

Pros

Great executive leaders, clear set goals. Training is absolutely amazing. Compensation is unbelievable.

Cons

Management at office level are micromanaging - they mean well but should allow for some autonomy to the structure provided.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing - amazing direction for this company!

Paycom

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company takes care of employees. Growing company

Cons

High work load. No time off

Advice to Management

Hire more people

A True Executive Position

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at paycom has been the absolute best opportunity I could have asked for, especially coming straight out of college. First off, compensation is the best in the game. Starting off at $50k per year with uncapped commission and a great commission structure was amazing. There's also milestones that will allow you to increase that base to well over $100k. In other words, this is my first year in my first job and I'm confident I'll be making well over 6 figures this year. Other than compensation, the culture is absolutely incredible!! While the work is challenging, I am so excited to get up and go to work every day. My team is made up of the most genuine, motivated, optimistic people I have ever met. Also, in sales you are actually trained at our corporate office by our CSO, the co founder of the company. I'm not exaggerating when I say everyone at the leadership level genuinely cares about each employee's business goals and even personal goals. The position is not a normal sales representative position. You are a true executive working as a human capital consult to ceo's, CFOs, and business owners. It is extremely empowering to know how big of an impact I've had on my client's businesses. The opportunity for growth is endless. Leaderships asks you your goals right when you start and do everything they can to set you up to reach those goals. Also, they ONLY promote from within!! In other words....you would be crazy to not try to get a job here.

Cons

I wouldn't even consider this a con, but the interview process is definitely tough. Don't expect to coast through it. You have to come in for a 4 hour phone canvassing session where you will be expected to make appointments. It's challenging, but a great way to get a feel for what you'll be doing. The hours during the first month of training are tough...it's a lot of work. They joke saying "it's like getting an MBA in 4 weeks", which it truly is. Expect to be challenged and maybe a little stressed but it truly makes sure you are prepared for the position and sets you up for success. After your first few months, your hours won't be as crazy but don't expect to get off earlier than 5 on a Friday (maybe exactly at 5 if you're lucky) but like I said, this a true executive position...not your average entry level sales This job is not easy. It's hard work. However, you are more than rewarded for the hard work you put in. It is 100% what you make it. If you put in the work to learn the process, the success will roll in before you know it.

Advice to Management

More casual Fridays :)

Paycom Response

Jul 24, 2015 – Representative

We truly appreciate you telling others about your experience so far. Good luck!

Best Job I've Ever Had.

Current Employee - Paycom Corporate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Corporate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have been hired by Paycom and I can say that I can't imagine working anywhere else. From my first day, I have felt like I've know my coworkers and bosses for years. I look forward to Mondays now because I know I am going to have a great week. I can easily say that this is the best job I have ever had.

Cons

Although this is not a deal breaker, I would say that the Health Care is a big Con. It is very expensive if you are not single. My raise in salary I got from coming to Paycom was essentially wiped out due to the monthly reduction to pay for health care for my family. Also the PTO is a little behind the times.

RSS Feed </> Embed