Paycom

Updated October 29, 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• 1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job in 20 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my two decade career, I have been with Paycom for only a little more than a year but I can honestly say that among my many jobs, it's the most secure, the most rewarding and the most fun. Corporations are not always a good fit for my creative personality, but this has proven to be the exception.

In previous jobs, one of the worst things was dealing with toxic co-workers. Here they are not tolerated -- if they are hired at all they aren't kept around. In other words a friendly atmosphere of mutual respect is something I can look forward to each and every day. The diversity of workers is surprising for such a red state but something to be proud of 100%. While I came in with enough experience to bypass the entry-level positions, opportunities for advancement still exist for me and that's rare for so few OKC corporations.

Training is thorough, ongoing, and covers more topics beyond just stuff we need to know for our jobs. Work-life balance definitely exists and is encouraged. The perks are terrific from $1 health insurance to $4 catered lunches daily.

Cons

The only real disappointment I had upon joining Paycom is the same more than a year later --- vacation time. There is not enough of it that first year compared to other companies, and if you like to take your vacation days in large chunks the accrual system can work against you depending upon when you start in the year. That changes upon your 1year anniversary, but the accrual system is still there.

The vacation time issue should be addressed. At a company meeting about a year ago one of the VP's said it was being looked at...but no announcement has been made since.

Growing Company Offering Excellent Career Growth

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is fast-paced, fun and vibrant. I'm challenged every day to be the best I can be. I manage a large group of employees and am thrilled to have the opportunity to help them grow in their career and to watch them build their skill sets by providing them with more and more opportunities every day. That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company!

Cons

Paycom is not able to offer much flexibility, like working from home, or working flexible hours. This is unfortunate, however it is understandable. Many of our employees deal with very confidential information, so to insure the safety of the data, it never leaves Paycom.

Rapid growth can sometimes breed confusion and chaos. Paycom needs to stay committed to open communication, regular "all employee" meetings and leadership development.

Everything I hoped for and then some!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom leadership loves their employees! They know we don't have cushy corporate positions, almost every position is performance based. Recruiters even have quotas!! The in-house recruiters are really sales professionals. We make cold calls, pitch the deal, influence working professionals to make a change in career and almost ALL of our candidates are sourced from different internet sites. We literally present a sales pitch to get these top performers from other industries interested. It is not like any other recruiting department I have ever seen before and I love it! I am challenged but also rewarded with a strong compensation plan and great perks. We have an awesome team that knows we are needed to ensure Paycom can continue to grow and open new offices.

Cons

Very few people within the organization understand that Paycom recruiting is really selling Paycom every single day. We are just now getting to use all of the resources necessary with college, agencies and other things to staff the masses.

Keep growing. Keep hiring people like the recruiting leaders who bring outside ideas in and have a positive and fun personality. Additional vacation would be a plus and I know you guys are working on that as I type! Really we have an amazing team of dedicated professionals and I am so excited to see where we are next year and the years after. I am looking to a fun and challenging ride to industry dominance and getting a lot of great hires!

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.

Paycom is a great place to grow

Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The challenges I face everyday help me grow personally and professionally. I started at the bottom and I'm determined to make it to the top, and to get there Paycom gives me clear steps. I've never worked for a company that cares so much about your growth. It's not for the weak though, the hard work you put in is directly related to the rewards you get. Paycom knows how to balance hard work and play, the culture is incomparable.

Cons

Any customer service job is a difficult industry to be in and dealing with paychecks takes it to another level. If you can learn to let things roll off your back then you can succeed.

Oct 22, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. We value your hard work and dedication to the organization!

The best company with a cubicle setting in OKC

Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

$1 medical insurance, $4 catered in lunches

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle, the rest is all great

Collaborative Team

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom is a busy, fast paced environment. There is no shortage of work and the team I work with are there to help with anything I need. I have worked for a couple large companies such as Paycom and they have all had their challenges but here I have found that everyone is willing to support each other. If you need help all you have to do is ask. $1 insurance, $4 lunches, free gym are some nice perks too.

Cons

IT has this place locked down. I understand the rational behind it, it just makes getting some things done a little harder. Other than that it's a great place to work.

Oct 16, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review! We handle sensitive information which, as you noted, is why our IT security is very thorough. We appreciate your review and hope you have continued success at Paycom.

My experience was very pleasant.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom offers great benefits to their employees.

Cons

Paycom has a ranking system with their employees.

They shouldn't rank their employees and should treat them more equally.

Take the bad with the good

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money and they promote within. Base and commission structure better than comparable companies. There are few companies where the cso is so involved. It is amazing that he is able to support trainings and lead calls with reps. Presidents club is top of the line and you could tell they put a lot of work in

Cons

All of the 5star reviews should have been a red flag and notice how the company jumps on to combat every negative comment on here...that is what you can expect from management as well. If there is an issue, it is always you and never an opportunity for them to improve. Vacation and sick time are a joke and there is no flex time or work from home. You will be expected to work on your vacations and sick days as well and it will be kindly suggested as best practice. You won't have time off around holidays at all and you will be expected to work nights and weekends. The majority of your "work" is to be done as they say "on your own time". The job isn't sales. Selling is a small part and setup/transition/training will take up a large part of your week.

Management is filled with superstar sellers who don't necessarily know how to manage and at least mine was obviously promoted too soon I am sure there are some greeat managers as well. A common theme I would say is MICROMANAGEMENT at its finest. You will feel like a 3rd grader most days when you are in the office.Office culture varies greatly. Pay attention in the interview process to the interactions between coworkers and the managers.

Before taking this job think about how much u are really willing to give up for the money. If you can deal with the bs, you could end up very wealthy.

Take feedback from current and past employees in a constructive manner instead of being defensive. Paycom could be a top workplace for sales nationwide. Get managers with real management experience and don't promote just because they made a checklist. Someone who is successful in sales will likely have difficulty in managing without being a control freak. Find people who are willing to overcome not just want the paycheck

Oct 16, 2014Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your review and please know that we take everyone’s feedback to heart. Reviews and constructive criticism are passed onto HR and management. Our employees ... More

Great Place New College Grads

Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started with this company right out of college. I had little experience in the payroll world and they trained me. Not great training at first but it got better over time as it became more of a focus. It was a great company to grow with and watch expand. The work atmosphere is great. You will love the people you work with. The benefits are tough to beat. Free gym, $ Health, $4 catered meals plus fun surprises throughout the year. The pay is good starting out but over time you can make a lot more. I almost doubled my salary in four years. I would recommend working here but just be prepared for the overtime and stress.

Cons

The cons are the work and deadlines are very overwhelming. Depending our your role it can be very stressful and require a lot of overtime. Also Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is tough. Do not plan for extra time with the family.Very long hours and not a lot of time off around this period. However there are peak times of the year when you can expect to work a lot which helps but before I left it felt like it never let up. The work/personal life is a struggle to balance. I would have loved to stay with the company but it was difficult to work so hard and not have any time to really enjoy myself.