Paycom Reviews

192 reviews filtered by
4.2
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

Outside Sales

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Training was good. Jeff York is the best salesman I have ever met. That's probably it.

Cons

What I find hilarious about all these reviews is that Paycom requires their employees to write these. The ultimate kool-aid drinking shop. Here's the truth about Paycom - unrealistic expectations, a very average product and insane micromanagement. I worked at Paycom and know these to be true. In fact, 10 out of the 11 people in my training class no longer work there.

They are constantly applying pressure that comes from upper management and the sales cycle can last for months. They brag about the commission structure, but the reality is that 10-12% of a deal really is not that much.

They also give you terrible benefits. 5 PTO days? LOL! Call that work/life balance?

and let's be real. Selling payroll and having to learn the ins and outs of that industry is awful.

Advice to Management

Let your employees enjoy their lives a little bit.

Don't get tricked!!! Run away!

I have been working at Paycom (Less than a year)

Pros

Cheap benefits and easy hook ups with coworkers during "training meetings".

Cons

Pretty much everything else.

-little room for advancement outside of sales.
    -most of management is clueless.
    -horrible work life balance and high stress due to fear of being let go.
    -customers are mislead and treated poorly.

Advice to Management

I can't wait to put in my two week notice at the end of this month and am so happy that I'm able to find another job. This was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was lied to during the entire interview process and asked explicit questions. I should have listened to the negative reviews on here. Also, Paycom adds most of the positive reviews themselves in order to recurit fresh college grads who either don't know better or can't do better.

Good Luck Paycom and I feel for everyone stuck at that place.

Mar 27, 2015Representative

We are continuously working to enhance processes and procedures, and part of that includes initiatives to implement career development paths across all departments, not just in sales. We are ... More

It's not what it seems...the benefits do not outweigh the stresses.

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay if you need it and can handle a ton of stress.
    Benefits are pretty good.
    Occasional company functions that can be fun.
    Free to use fitness center.

Cons

Positions are too robust, too much responsibility.
    Very high turnover rate and staffing issues.
    The system changes so much that you have no help and no support from IT and managers when you need it.
    Company is concerned with growth and revenue and not their employees.
    Too much politics and favoritism when it comes to promotions.
    Company managers and supervisors will lie to your face and will also ask you to lie to clients when it comes to internal issues.
    Internal structure and original business model is collapsing.
    Company went public last summer and has since spiraled in every aspect.
    Company will tell you there's a set schedule, but depending on the need, will expect you to work overtime without warning.
    Everyone is overworked and unhappy - employee morale has been down since the company went public.
    Company does not do enough to show appreciation for employees.
    Certain managers are snakes and the company will not improve til they're eradicated.
    What they tell you about the job doesn't come near to the amount of work they will give you.
    The training is terrible because the trainers have never been in the positions they're teaching.
    Supervisors and managers will not step in to help with the workload becomes too large.
    Paycom constantly develops their system but doesn't do it well. They do it fast to satisfy customer needs but, in turn, they create glitches in other areas that cause more issues for clients.
    Internal communication is lacking.
    Paycom is not concerned with you. They are concerned with how much money you can make them.
    Expectations are unrealistic and they induce fear in you when you feel like you can't perform.
    The culture is almost creepy. They hire 20 somethings that don't know anything about the industry and then treat them how they want.

Advice to Management

Decrease the workload across the board, stop being so concerned with revenue, and eradicate the tyrannical managers that demand more work and show no appreciation. Employees need to know they're appreciated and people do not need to be worked to death. Get with some staffing agencies and hire temps when needed. Hire a consultant to help the company improve. The workload and expectations are completely unrealistic. Return to your roots before the company went public and maybe you'll have a chance. Even then, the place was ridiculous before going public. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Feb 23, 2015Representative

Thank you for your time at Paycom. During your tenure with us, you experienced a number of new process and product developments. These have helped us deliver cutting-edge HR technology products to ... More

DON't DO IT!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are right of college and can't find anything better, it will put food on the table until you can.

Cons

It was the WORST job and experience i've had! The training for sales isn't that bad, but there is essentially no product training. I left a sales job making $100K because I wanted another challenge and it this seemed very promising long term. At the end of the day you're selling payroll, but they make you believe you're changing the world somehow. It is 100% turn and burn, a VERY long process to actually make a sale, and every company you are calling has been called 5 times already that day by a payroll company. I wasn't a slacker, I was well over my quota when I left, and thank GOD I did. There were 12 people in my training class about 18 months ago, none of them are still there!!! DON'T LISTEN TO THE RECRUITERS WRITING REVIEWS ON HERE!!!

Feb 13, 2015Representative

We’re sorry to read of your experience and hope you are able to find a challenging career that fits you better. As you can see by our previous responses, we do not shy away from the fact that being a ... More

Might as well call this place PayCon.

Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees steal sales from one another.

Cons

You're promised high pay, but you don't get it.

Advice to Management

You need new staff.

Jan 14, 2015Representative

We are sorry to hear you’re less than pleased. Our sales organization has protected territories and we are concerned to hear of your experience. In order to ensure this doesn’t happen, we encourage ... More

Worst job I've ever had from the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom

Pros

the pay plan was fairly aggressive, but still not proportional to the work involved. They don't require any payroll related experience from their employees, which is good for people that need jobs, but not very good for their clients.

Cons

Working at paycom was worst than working at restaurants growing up. their leadership team has no idea what's involved half of the companies positions, or the kind of stress that's pushed onto the payroll specialist. I was working there for two years under the most incompetent manager I could imagine. Paycom only promotes from within for most positions, so most of their management team has no experience outside of the company. adding this to their high turnover, most payroll specialist have only worked for the company for less than two years. the clients are trusting kids that have barely gotten out of college with a sociology degree, to make important tax adjustments for their company.

while working there as a payroll specialist, I was never properly shown how to validate taxes at the end of each quarter. because of this, my clients had huge tax issues each quarter that they were completely unaware of. The system doesn't keep track of taxes correctly for several reasons, so taxes needed to be manually adjusted for individual employees from about 20% of my clients each quarter end. Every time I had asked for help in any circumstance, I was refereed to a "senior specialist" on my team. The senior specialist have worked for the company for at least a year and are under more stress than the entire team since they have up to 150 individual clients, and are working on their own issues each day. our senior didn't have the time, tact, or desire to adequately walk me through the process.

while initially in appears that there is a lot of potential to move up in the company, there isn't really enough growth to have a likely chance of being promoted. while working there, I saw far more employees get fired over minor mistakes, than to see employees get promoted.

the computer system frequently changes with aesthetic updates, which do nothing to fix the abundant problems and glitches that frequently come up. they have hundreds of known glitches that never see any progress, while the programmers instead direct their attention at color schemes.

while paycom does have training programs for their payroll specialist, they are extremely minimal. since the computer system changes so often, training is a constant thing. the specialist don't get much of a chance to experience the new system before an update happens, so when the clients call in with all of the new questions, as a specialist you'll have to research everything on your own. the team leaders who are over the specialist don't deal directly with the actual computer system once their promoted, and usually aren't able to keep informed of the constant system changes. as a specialist, you have no one to ask for help from when clients come up with an issue your unfamiliar with. If you ask around to the other specialist, you get different answers from each of them.

through my training some of the focuses were " never let a client know how little experience you have" , " never let your clients know how many clients you actually have", and my personal favorite, " always have the clients fix their own problems, even if you could help them significantly" . there were several occasions that came up with that last topic. For the two years that I worked there, I was only allowed to work overtime through Christmas and new years. no specialist are allowed to take any days off for all of December since the w2's are needing to be filed. I never had enough time to help my clients solve their issues. when I tried to, I was told that I was wasting time, and needed to focus on other things.

In the end, my manager overloaded me with work and through constant meetings pulling me away from all of the workload I was given, I had far too much stress to continue employment there. The health insurance was nice. the cafeteria only served salads 90% of the time. while I was originally told that my focus was the clients and to make their experience better, I was never equipped to do that, and constantly told otherwise by my direct manager. this was the worst job that I've ever taken, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. I hope to never encounter the same amount of stress that I was given through that two years of employment. I was physically sick with anxiety several times through that period.

Advice to Management

let the specialist make request for updating things in the system and encourage them to make these requests.

Dec 30, 2014Representative

We’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t positive. Your feedback is important and has been passed on to our leadership team. We want to take a minute to address a few of your ... More

Sales- Churn and Burn

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the (in my estimate) less than 10% of reps that actually crush it, the comp is pretty unbelievable. Solid resume builder if you can last a year or longer. You'll learn a lot about various aspects of business that are applicable to many other opportunities. I still think the product and service model is the best available option for probably 85% of businesses in Paycom's target market, but that may just be the Paycom Kool-Aid talking.. There's another "pro": lots of kool-aid.

Cons

The rest of these reviews are heavily skewed by management or operations roles at corporate that are completely different and, in my opinion, not at all representative of the typical Paycom Sales Rep Experience. Key things to expect in the sales roles here:

Truly Impressive turnover- 70% of my class was gone by our 9th month. This was typical and my office had even worse figures for first year reps.

Terrible culture- Even the majority of those who excel are constantly debating leaving. They hang on for the next commission check and put up with management until they finally can't take it any more. You will be worked like a dog and given the worst PTO and Holiday policies I've ever seen. Management literally scoffs at, and is baffled by, the concept of work-life balance. There is also constant politicking so be ready to play the game 24/7.

Obstructive micro management- You'll constantly be struggling to balance the work you really need to complete to close business and the busy work your manager makes you do to hit activity metrics that haven't been relevant for years.

Advice to Management

Update metrics that reps are evaluated on to reflect today's sales cycle. Continue moving towards a more modern sales process with SDR's. Get out of your reps way and let them do what they were hired to do.

Dec 5, 2014Representative

We appreciate your post and can assure you that this has been sent to leaders within our sales organization. Regarding the estimated “less than 10%” of successful reps: on average roughly 30 percent ... More

Nothing But Lies! No Diversity, All Good Reviews On Glassdoor Are Fake:

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits Are Ok But Thats It

Cons

Warning!!!!!!!!!! Anytime You See This Many Good Reviews They Are All Fake Even The Best Companies In The World To Work For Dont Have This Many Reviews That Are Good. The Reviews Are Fabricated By Paycom. Just Last Year Alone Our Reviews Were Very Bad But Paycom Had A Solution To This By Developing Good Reviews Themselves. They Also Have No Diversity And They Dont Want It Either, Racist, Pay Should Be Better For This Industry. We Were Ask To Post Good Reviews Online And We Would Get Bonuses. Keep In Mind I Wasnt Willing To Do It Because It Would Be Nothing But Lies And Im Sure Someone Will Add More Lies After This Review But Its Sad How Things Are Ran Within This Company. They Dont Want To Hire Anyone Of Color Its Terrible For The Company they prefer people that look like me and them WHITE, they dont believe that anyone that is a person of color would be able to be trusted by business owners and sell payroll and they believe that people of color cant sell at all and it makes the company look bad this is how the entire company is if you dont believe me look at LinkedIn and call corporate and ask how many minorities( African-American, Hispanic, Asian, etc) do they have on staff. Anyone That Has More Then 2 Jobs On There Resume Is A Job Hopper, Prefers College Graduates So They Can Do Whatever They Tell Them, Management Is Terrible one you are hired And Most Dont Know What They Are Doing Especially There Recruiters What A Joke they also have a certain type that they like to hire again look at LinkedIn they eventually will have a class action lawsuit with all of there dated practices, This Is The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked. They Actually Want People To Believe That This Is One Of The Best Places To Work In America When All Of This On Glassdoor Is Fabricated By The Owners, Management, And Hr. This Company Lives In The Ice Ages And They Will Do Anything To Make Potential Employees Believe That They Are A Good Company To Work For. There's Better Companies In America That Appreciate Diversity, Pay Well, And Have Great Management, And Excellent Benefits. Paycom Is Nothing What People Are Saying In These Fake Reviews My Advice Run And Dont Even Waste Your Time With Paycom Unless You Want To Be A Part Of The Revolving Door They Are Always Hiring They Cant Keep Sales Reps And If They Hire You And You Are A Person Of Color If You Cough Wrong You Will Be Fired It Goes On Throughout The Company.

Advice to Management

Terrible. Get All New Management in every department!

Nov 17, 2014Representative

We understand that not all posts are positive. In fact, we embrace all feedback, both good and bad. However, this post violates many of the Glassdoor Review Standards as it’s unbalanced, full of ... More

Read review: The Full True Story

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Some of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

Cons

The review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Advice to Management

Dedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

Good experience, unprofessional Company

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good experience. The culture is young, energetic people that are excited to succeed. The product is actually quite strong.

Cons

Management is beyond horrendous. Micro-management is an understatement (phone calls throughout the day to see if you are where you said you would be - something that was unwarranted as that trust had never been broken). Management is incredibly self-serving as well, and extremely cliquey. I felt like I was back in junior high.

Extremely unprofessional in many areas including HR (Paycom's HR), management, crisis recovery, role specification (roles not clearly defined), and sales support.

Turnover is very high in the industry, and this company is no different. They will kick you to the curb for absolutely no reason, and refuse to give you the cause (I'm in an at-will state). You are nothing more than a number as a sales person at this company (which is deceiving given that this is an executive sale company).

Be prepared to work 70-80 hours/week while your manager cuts out early on a regular basis. Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job.

Everything you'll do within the company is smoke and mirrors. There is a sense of fear that rolls down hill throughout the company that comes from poor job security. Regionals are scared of the CSO, the office managers are scared of the regionals, and sales reps are either scared or buddy/buddy with their managers. If you start in sales here, be ready to play the game. You'll see how different your manager is the first time your Regional visits the office - smoke and mirrors.

I would not recommend the industry to anyone, but there are better companies within it. Not necessarily from a product standpoint, but from an organizational level.

After their successful IPO, the culture exploded into a much worse atmosphere than it already was.

Advice to Management

Clean house in management and take ownership of your sales offices. Clean up the support side of things, as often reps are left to fend for themselves. Fix the cliquey culture, it is indicative of young, unprofessional persons; and reflects poorly on you.

May 23, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear of your experience, but appreciate your candid feedback. I can assure you this is a unique situation within our sales organization and something we are looking into. Our sales ... More