Paycom

Paycom Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Paycom President Chad Richison

Chad Richison

Pros
  • Amazing base salary and commission structure(in 10 reviews)

• If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult(in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con(in 9 reviews)

Amazing Culture and Compensation

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsUncapped earning potential and career growth opportunities, amazing product, great people! Can't imagine ever working anywhere else!

ConsHave to be willing to put in the hard work to experience all the many benefits Paycom has to offer. The only people I know that aren't happy here are not applying themselves and thus not seeing the success that's inevitable with a positive attitude and hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change. Such a fast growing company sometimes we are focused so much on the sales and operations of our business that we neglect our own issues we could make better through embracing change and new ideas.

New experience every day!

Client Relations Representative (Current Employee)

ProsPaycom is a growing company and there is a lot of room for upward mobility for all Paycom employees, regardless of role. There is a great culture where managers and supervisors really encourage their employees to shine. I feel professionally challenged every day; I can safely say no two days are alike, but that's a great thing. I am constantly on my toes and am viewed as a valuable resource by my clients and colleagues alike.

ConsI would say the only thing I would change specifically about working for Paycom is I do wish the vacation policy allowed for some more time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management is to keep it up! Paycom treats the employees really well and truly listens to them for feedback, which is fantastic.

Great environment!!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThere are great people working here! There are many benefits to working at Paycom. They provide $1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions.

ConsThe pay for my position is a bit low for the amount of stress the work causes. They have black out periods every quarter and year end. This job requires a lot of overtime.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional Sales Career with TONS of Opportunity!!

ProsGreat opportunity to become a true sales professional. Solution Selling, Focus on C-Level, Ongoing training, Great Income.... Everything you would look for in a sales career. Culture = Fun!!

ConsRequires Dedication, Intelligence, Persistence and Strong Mental Focus on goals. Great opportunity for those who are career minded and are overachievers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for all of your dedication to the people at Paycom!!

Jul 17, 2014

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you value what Paycom is doing to help its employees!

Excited to part of a winning team!

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsCulture, training, career paths in almost every department, true leaders driving the boat, passionate managers and people across the organization. Protected territories, competitive comp plan where they treat me like the executive that I am.

ConsBecause of the nature of our business and the importance of always being here to service our amazing customers the holidays are a time we need to be in the office. However when we are here it is a great environment and management shows their appreciation!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with healthy lunch options, thank you for the beautiful new facility in OKC.

Read review: The Full True Story

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

ConsThe review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

Great Opportunity

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsWe work very hard for the success we have but the reward is there waiting on the other side. The growth within the company is there, you just need to decide if it's something your willing to work for!

ConsSales is demanding and sometimes you need a couple extra days to unwind and be with your family, friends, ect. So vacation days is something I think should be looked into.

Advice to Senior ManagementVacation time

Hard work = $$

Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat pay, great benefits, great training!! I am rewarded for the hard work that I have put in, and I able to continue to grow. I work closely with my managers and other team members to be successful. This position will never be a position where you can cruise under the radar. You have to continue to work hard to be successful!

ConsLong hours, and PTO time. Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult. There is a lot to learn and with being in sales - I want to be successful quickly, so there is training and things I had to take home to complete. There are also time where I had to stay late or come in early to get everything complete. However, once I get a handle on everything I know I will have a better work life balance. Also, PTO isn't great year 1, but it gets better with year 2 and on!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing your reps, AND helping your reps!

Corporate Sales Recruiter

Sales Recruiter (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsPaycom recruiting team is a family. We work hard together and play hard together. We strive for excellence daily staffing the nation with the best of the best. We had a tough job that is balanced with a supportive management, equally driven team members, and a rewarding compensation plan that reminds you that hard work always pays off!

ConsYou will not work 8 to 5 daily and may have to be more flexible at times to cater to our product ..." people." The great people do not come to us. Sales and cold calling is something you will do on a day to day basis. If you're comfortable with that, you are set !

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased amount of vacation time could increase productivity of employees and also create a more attractive opportunity to candidates.

management- continue to push us hard and provide us with tools to be successful

The Full | True Story

Pros- Compensation
    Competitive Base Salary + the "promise" of somewhat high commission percentages once you pass certain thresholds, up to and including increases in base salary

- Training
    They spend time and effort in giving you the corporate juice. Great for the 0-1 year experience rep straight out of college or new to the sales industry but incredibly suffocating to the experienced rep, with real life sales experience. The CSO spends time with every new hire class training them personally. Again, great access to the C-Level of the company, but don't expect share knowledge. Grab your kool-aid cup and start drinking.

Cons- Management
    After feeling somewhat "pumped up" by the rep training, again run directly by the CSO, senior management quite quickly transforms into the typical sales department management that you would find in an boiler room environment. Not only should you be expected to be micromanaged, but expect to be consumed by the pervasive atmosphere of office politics. You can forget about focusing solely on your number or reaching presidents club. You better be liked by your management or expect to be cut out of leads and accounts. Also, never expect to leave before at least 6:00PM (after getting the day started typically at 7:00am) as you will directed to stay at your desk to write hand written notes to prospects. Also expect phone calls over the weekend from your manager sharing their stress about accounts and client set-ups. The typical day consists of 2-3 hours of non stop cold-calling with a non-negotiable expectation of 3-4 appointments a day.

- Sales Process
    There's no such thing as an easy sales process. However, given that your financial well being, i.e commissions, are dependent upon your skill in setting up and processing payroll, again expect your job to take on new "fun" dimensions in payroll processing. You as the rep are in charge of transitioning clients from payroll to payroll which can take up to weeks and months of your time, delaying your commissions in the process.
    In addition, given the "sell now - set up later" atmosphere created by senior management, reps will often feel extremely pressured into bad sells just to hit their weekly quota number (all reps operate on weekly quotas) which of course never end up setting up properly, which then in turn leads to 0 commissions and 0 quotas. What you end up with is a revolving door of reps that get terminated because they have a "0" as their sales number due to failed payroll set up processes which they were pressured into by management.

- IPO
    After the successful IPO where the equity partners were able to line their pockets, the entire national sales department is being asked to cut back on spending in order to help the stock price. Less office celebrations for exceeding quota, less incentive to work as a team.

- Culture
    Great at first. Everyone seems positive enough. However, after a while all reps sense the pervasive "us against them" mentality that exists throughout the entire organization. This may stem from the personality of C-Level management, as often very conservative religious views will be impressed upon all employees in the organization. Also, most managerial employees work in a constant state of fear of being terminated due to the unpredictable nature of the CEO. There are many stories of employees annoying the the wrong person and then being dismissed without severance. This hierarchy of stress of course travels all the way down to the sales representative.

-Job Security/Vacation Policy
    Don't expect to have either when working here. As stated before, you can be termed randomly and without notice. The Vacation Policy is laughable. Using vacation days for things like funerals and hospital stays is normal. Come into work 30 minutes late due to weather? Remove 30 minutes from your accrued time. After 8 month of working, expect only about 2.5 accrued vacation days with 0 being granted upon your start date.

Work Life Balance
    - Almost nonexistent. Your co-workers become your family. You spend most of your time with them between the 7:00am cold calling sessions and the 7:00pm payroll set-ups in the office. And the Saturday/Sunday weekend meet ups at the bosses' place to practice your cold calling scripts. This job can make you lose friends and most certainly lose touch with family members.

Negativity
    - The company has an extreme policy against any form of negativity. You cannot criticize nor can you questions the motive or direction of the company. If you do, you can be termed, again with out notice. The idea is that positivity will some how guide you to higher sales, yet when you share difficulties in processing payroll, or closing certain accounts, you are warned against speaking out and threatened with a disciplinary write up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none.

The entire system is broken due to the pervasive problems that exist within the corporate structure.
    The company is built to make money for the equity holders, with tremendous corner-cutting every other department.

Reps & Internal staff work in fear of termination, so no one can say anything.

The only piece of advice I can offer is stop lying to yourselves about employee satisfaction, stop operating the corporate structure like a totalitarian state and restructure. It's the moral thing to do.

Jul 11, 2014

In response to your remarks, it is important for readers to know that all promises in regards to the sales compensation package are based on tangible percentage increases based on each rep’s ... More

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!