Paycom

www.paycom.com

Please read if you're thinking about joining Paycom

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Base Salary is great
    regional managers are all good!

Cons

First of all I'm not a bitter former employee who got fired. I left on my own terms and was number 1 in my office.

- work hours - expect to be there from 7am till at 530 on office days which are Mon, Tues and Fri. Field days are Wed and Thurs and BE EXPECTED to work from home. They have things that aren't in "selling hours"...for example if you have a business case write which could take an hour or two then do that at home. Research the company you're meeting for the rest of the week at home.

- they ask current reps to write GOOD reviews on here because their turnover rate is bad and for all you candidates that look on here it makes it look like its a great place to work. in my training class of 12 - one year later I was the only one left.

- you end up taking your work home and thinking about it and checking your phone at all hours.

- you're just a number to them - If you're not setting 6 appointments a week with CFOs of companies of 75 employees or more then they're on you're back (which I guess is like any other sales job).

- after you sign a client up you have to do a lot of work. You sell the account, then you have to get all the paperwork, then you have to train everyone.

- Phone canvassing - 4 hours of non stop calling the same people who hung up on you last week every Tuesday and Friday. You will have around 150-175 people that you can call. All of them have been called by the previous Paycom rep.

- they ask you to be "bright and loud" when phone canvasser interviews to come in so it looks like a great company culture.

- Everyone there is young because they hire young people as they know they're willing to put in the hours and the amount of work they throw at you.

Treat people like people, and not just numbers!

If you want to be a number and not a valued employee, this is your company!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make good money if you manage to throw up big numbers in your first 6 months....and if your manager favors you.

Cons

Welcome to the revolving door. This company hires so many recruiters to fill its sales positions, it's ridiculous.. They can't keep sales people because of the horrible environment and ridiculous management! The "rave reviews" that somone at Paycom corporate or their recruiting agencies obviously posted about this company are completely untrue. Before I got to my current position, I was actually contacted by two separate recruiting companies that would no longer work with Paycom because of thier treatment of employees and excessive turnover rate for the sales people they placed.

Concentrate on employee retention and making customers happy and then you may have something for the future...

sales rep

I worked at Paycom

Pros

good base salary plus car allowance

Cons

terrible interview process, long and drawn out, waste of time, St. Louis Office has very few people working there, not stable will lose your job if you dont make sales

A company will not survive without the loyalty of its employees

Please read before accepting an offer from this company!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay structure is pretty solid. Good incentives to permanently raise your base if you last

Cons

I'm not telling you not to accept an offer if it is presented to you, especially if you're in a pinch, but I'm telling you DO NOT burn any bridges with other companies that may want to hire you. Paycom misrepresents their training. It's not training, it's a job trial. And they will not tell you if you're not performing up to par. I've been a top performer in a few sales organizations and was told i was doing well in training, then on my 10th day, I was told I didn't know the system well enough and let go....2 weeks after my hire date. Since then i've confirmed with several reps still employed there that this kind of thing happens all the time. There is no job security here. Most management is inexperienced. I even set 10 appointments in my 2 weeks there and they still let me go. If you have a choice between sales skills and product knowledge, you pick the one that can't be taught. So, if they're the first to offer you a position, take it, but don't go into it thinking long term because they aren't thinking that about you. Stall until something else opens up then jump ship. Don't make the same mistake I did. I wish any readers of this nothing but the best in whatever they choose to do.

You need to realize that Sales skills are MUCH MORE important than product knowledge. Not that product knowledge isnt important, but anyone can learn that, they just may learn at different rates. More experienced people know this.

It was mediocre.

I worked at Paycom

Pros

There's a good salary for the job. If you get selected you'll make about 45k base pay. It's a fun environment to work in.

Cons

This job is high stress. It is also high turn over. Many new people are brought in on a very consistent basis. This has everything to do with the fact that they terminate people very quickly.

Great coworkers, Disappointing management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Coworkers are fabulous, friendly, and helpful. Lunches are offered on site. Discounts are available for many services.

Cons

Poor management skills, lack of management training. Lacking effective communication from managers on expectations for job performance. Lack of feedback offered from management for a job well done or a job done poorly.

Make sure you fully understand what you want from a candidate before hiring them. Train those who will be in charge of others how to effectively train, support, and communicate with their staff. It is very disappointing as an employee to feel as if you are doing everything well and then find out that your manager had other expectations and you were in fact, performing poorly.

stay away

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Compensation potential Growth Opportunity Training

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals
    Poor Management
    Little to no communication in product change

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay. This really is the only thing the position has going for it. And that's if you can learn the business, have success in selling, and have a lot of luck. If you really give it your best shot, you will probably make a decent amount of money.

Cons

This is a strong word of advice/caution for people with families. The work/life balance is horrible. In my interviews, I was told the job is 7:30 to 5:00 in most offices with a one hour lunch break. You must not expect this to be true. I would say the company is border line deceitful about how much it will truly require of you to maintain your work load in this position. There is truly no possible way for you to keep up with everything in this position with normal work hours but they certainly don't tell you that in your interviews. Also, you are made to feel terrible and like a constant failure until you put in more hours. It is extremely wrong and unhealthy to do this to people. I left a good job because I was recruited for this position. In theory, this job really did seem like a fantastic choice. Now this job feels like my nightmare because it has taken away so much time from my spouse and children. It was strongly suggested to me by upper management to rearrange my personal time with my spouse and kids just so that I could work more. This job is terrible for families especially if you value your family over money. The only thing upper management seems to value is money. People in my position at my particular office are not looked at as valued human beings but rather work horses for more money. It's a sick environment in that aspect. I cannot speak for other offices or management as a whole since this my personal experience within my office. If you are a young single person, this job would be great. You will still have no life, but at least you won't be forced to cut down your own spouse and children for the "good of the company."

You should be up front with people that are interviewing for the sales rep positions about what will be required of them. You hurting young families by making this seem like a relatively "normal" 8 to 5 job with a lunch. Hard work is fine. But not at the loss of sleep, time to eat, and time to spend with family. Your managers you are hiring need some sort of accountability for what they are saying to their employees or how they are actually managing their people. In my case, there is no management...just filling us with fear that we will all lose our jobs if we don't "figure it out." Your managers should never be able to get away with telling people to spend less time with their children so they can work more. There should absolutely be correction for that, and there should be a safe place employees can go to report things like this about their management without fear of losing their jobs. I would think that if you give more kindness, more time off, and not just use fear tactics on people, that your company would thrive even more. People would be happier, actually enjoy their job, and be more loyal and hardworking for a company that treats them with respect. I want to love this job. In theory I could love this job. But I was strongly asked to spend less time with my family to work more. How am I supposed to just deal with that. I'm already working from about 6:00am to 5:30pm and then work more in the evening and working some on weekends.

Paycom Response

Feb 23, 2015Representative

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand and appreciate the need for work/life balance and just like any career; the balance is more easily attained with experience. We pride ... More

It's ok

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing so I am sure there is opportunity for growth if you can get ahead of the 100 people more tenured in front of you.

Cons

Work-Life Balance: this company believe in burning you out quickly. If you can make through a year (specifically the end of the year) you can work harder and get ready for the end of the next year. the company is understaffed and underpaid for anyone lower than a supervisor level.

Promote more people who deserve it and quit playing large corp politics mixed with small family politics of hiring friends of the bosses.

Paycom Response

Dec 5, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear you were not pleased during your time at Paycom. As one of the nation's fastest-growing companies, we are always looking for ways to improve and continue to look for talented ... More

Terrible Environment...Untrue Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training and Salary:

Training is quite extensive, yet in regard to applicable substance (applying the sales methodology in the field) its doesn't translate well to real life situations. Yet, when as a sales representative, you fall into the situations when the deal is easy to close (very rare), the amount of commission you can make is competitive to other payroll companies. However, the base salary is still 5 figures below what your going to get at the bigger competitors.

Cons

Culture, Management, Job Security:

Overall, this is a company that is lacking in each of these to the increasing detriment of all sales representatives.
    It's confusing because since the company has gone public, and is increasingly flush with cash, there still is a supreme lack attention paid to issues.

It might start with management since the majority of senior positions are filled with young 20 somethings that only have a year or 2 years of sales experience! This created several situations where sales representatives in my region either blatantly disregarded instructions from management due to their lack of knowledge and sales skills or management adopted draconian measures to keep track of sales representatives effectively destroying any sense of freedom to run, close, and process sales.

When it comes to culture, its a boiler room and don't let the interviewer tell you other wise. You have to perform or you will be sliced extremely quickly. Again, commissions are great when you do but this is a doubled-edged sword as even if you are at or exceeding your quota, you are forever asked "what you got next?"

- Weekly Quotas/Sell or get fired.

At the end of the day your quota does not matter, presidents club or otherwise. This
    has only gotten worse as the quarterly earnings reports that the company has to file are opportunities for C-Level staff to cut office spending on team contests and drive sales teams to work 13hr days to squeeze out more revenue to impress the stock holders. Again, you will be cut indiscriminately if you are seen as not abiding by this team mentality.

Also, there are christian attitudes impressed significantly upon the entire company. Often time the national sales call which are weekly, will intertwine sales success with prayers from senior management. Its extremely uncomfortable and I believe illegal.

Job Security, because of the above reasons, is always a guessing game. Not only can you be terminated for lack of continual performance, but you can be terminated for a "bad attitude". I've see reps dismissed instantly for "bumming the office out". Tough days in the job are in abundance, but you are not allowed to share those struggles.

Between the months long payroll setups - customers terminating their payment before commission is paid - Paycom charging your commission back because a customers termed before the 6 month mark - working on during black out holiday months (November / December)..etc. there will be many tough days.

This also goes the same for office politics. You have to be liked, in a personal sense (non-professional) by your direct supervisor or you will be first on the block. Again, I've seen representatives in my region perform well through out the year, and the in first down month they have had, their supervisor PIPs them and terminates them the proceeding month. And this was in the case of a representative exceeding quota up until that time.

Advice to Potential New Hires:

Apply to either Workday, ADP, ZenPayroll, Paylocity....etc.

Any of these will have Better Pay, Better Work Life Balance, and slightly better management.

Stop having team members write your own glassdoor reviews.
    This is suppose to be a neutral forum for potential new hires to assess if the company can be a fit for them.
    Learn that the annual surveys you run are not a reflection of the actual dissatisfaction stewing inside the organization. Staff and employees are afraid of voicing their real opinions in fear of instant termination.