Paycom

Updated September 18, 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • Amazing base salary and commission structure (in 10 reviews)

• If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great coworkers, Disappointing management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Coworkers are fabulous, friendly, and helpful. Lunches are offered on site. Discounts are available for many services.

Cons

Poor management skills, lack of management training. Lacking effective communication from managers on expectations for job performance. Lack of feedback offered from management for a job well done or a job done poorly.

Make sure you fully understand what you want from a candidate before hiring them. Train those who will be in charge of others how to effectively train, support, and communicate with their staff. It is very disappointing as an employee to feel as if you are doing everything well and then find out that your manager had other expectations and you were in fact, performing poorly.

stay away

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Compensation potential Growth Opportunity Training

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals
    Poor Management
    Little to no communication in product change

Whoever says Paycom does not require ENDLESS work hours... they're lying

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down, this is a company in which you can make GREAT money, especially as a recent college grad (as they tend to hire).

Unheard of starting base, with no experience (50k) and you make 10% of every sale you make. Also, additional bonuses for starting on time (2%).

They also give you car allowance (that is supposed to cover wear and tear, insurance, and gas) which I believe is $500/month.

Cell phone allowance= $25/month... really low, but they pay you so high elsewhere that this can be overseen.

$1 health insurance (with no dependents)

Again, the pros of working for this company is all monetary.

They're sales training is amazing! My core foundation of understanding sales and the sales process has been thanks to Paycom. This, is something that no one can take away from them.

When you first begin the position you have 2 weeks of non-stop training in the office (with your national training class via conference and WebEx meetings) They will focus more on product in those 2 weeks and some people have even gotten fired during this phase if they are not picking up the system quickly enough. They then they fly you out to corporate headquarters for another week of sales training. (to say we started out as about 16 people in my training class in 2012 and now there are only 2 who are still currently working there still... turn over is that bad. If you make it past your first year, you tend to be labeled as one of the rookies in your office).

Cons

Where to begin!!!!!

First of all, they hire recent college graduates because, frankly, they don't know any better. They sell you on all the money that you will be making, but rest assure there is NO work/life balance with this position.

I was not a rep who did not do well... on the contrary, I was the top rep in my office the entire time I was there. I clearly had the work ethic and drive, but there comes a point where you realize money is not everything. I was miserable and that misery affected my personal relationships with my friends, significant other, and family. To me, there is no career that is worth sacrificing all of those things.

As a sales rep, you are not only expected to sell, but also IMPLEMENT (meaning endless amounts of tax packets that you have deadlines in which you need to send to the Setup Team) but you are also expected to TRAIN and be on-hand to run their first payroll. Selling, is the easiest part, the most difficult and time-consuming aspect of your position will be doing this. I can safely say that I have stayed in the office till 10pm or with my clients, training and setting up, until that time. You are also expected to be in the office at 7:30am!

You can also sell a new business, but if you do not stick around to start it (run their first payroll with them), then you do not get your commission. The person who ultimately gets the commission is the one who is there to hit 'submit' for the first time. And if your client leaves within 6 months, they can take that commission away from you.

Also, while you are implementing and training, you are expected to still sell and set 7 NEW APPOINTMENTS every week out of a list of approximately 100-120 businesses they give you. You must call on these businesses TWICE a week... same people, same companies,same lines you try to give them all the time. So you can imagine, with time, appointments lessen.

The reason they are able to pay those 50k base is because you essentially are doing about 3 peoples jobs.

Their Time off policies are also terrible:
    5 vacation
    5 sick

They also have blackout months, which you cannot request any time off whatsoever. And even though they only give you a measly 5 vacation days, it is still frowned upon to take all of your time off. You would think with how much they overworked you, they would give you more time to destress.

Sep 16, 2014Representative

While we appreciate your review it is disheartening to hear you feel so negatively in regards to career that you pointed out has many amazing perks including pay and training. We strive for a ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to start with, not a company to grow with

Former Employee - Tax Specialist  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people
    Entertaining corporate culture
    Growing company
    Pretty cool year end party

Cons

- Horrible pay unless you are in sales
    - Politics not what you know but who you know
    - Raises every year were very low unless you are in sales
    - Not a company to have a future with, go work there for 2 maybe 3 years and start looking for something else. I switched to the oil field and I am really happy now.
    - Company doesn't care about their the best employees unless you are in sales.
    - you can't say anything bad about the company they like to hire employees who will blindly follow management.

- Take care of your the best employees and pay themy based on their knowledge not "national average."

Sep 8, 2014Representative

We value your feedback just as much as we value our current employees and believe that no matter what department you are in the impact you have on Paycom’s success is significant. Paycom’s management ... More

Unhappy Experience

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive Base Salary
    Good baseline sales experience

Cons

Turnover is unbelievably bad - They lose reps left and right and don't seem to care. No job security at all.
    The PTO policy is horrible - No Work Life balance at all.
    Managers and upper management micro manage everyone

"The Boiler Room" on steroids

Unhappy clients due to lack of knowledge from the sales rep. Create a better defined infrastructure in setting deals up.

May 15, 2014Representative

I am sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience while serving as a sales rep. We pride ourselves on our advanced training curriculum that each rep goes through. Training opportunities are ... More

Great pay, but high turnover and bad management

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Pay, Young Employees, Fun, Lots of growth and opportunities for management

Cons

Cold calling, management is very pressured for sales and reflects their anger on employees, exec level management is not transparent in what they are doing. They were supposed to go public 3 years ago and were preparing us for that, but it never happened.

Be honest with your employees

Good and bad all rolled up into one tortilla

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Catered lunches= $4.
    Constant Paycom cheer leading & freebies (ie: shirts, pens, etc).
    On-site gym
    Medical care= $1 (not including vision & dental).
    Company wide participation events (ie: contests, trivia, fundraising).
    Employee recognition.
    Parties.
    Company is growing and there is good job security.
    Benefits are decent & there is a 401k plan with match.
    For many departments, generally consistent hours.

Cons

Lots of office politics.
    Cliques are not discouraged.
    The quality of your experience working for Paycom will depend on your department/team
    In my own team, employees with bad work ethics have been rewarded, good behaviors are overlooked.
    On the same note, rewards are often left to chance instead of merit.
    Don't expect to get most holidays off-- do expect to come in during inclement weather... or else.
    Not a lot of vacation or sick time.
    Internal growth is minimal outside of your own department, Paycom has few internal positions posted, most are for external applicants only .
    Lower level management has "training" on leadership by people inexperienced in leadership. Managers/leads don't understand what it means to be a leader as opposed to a "boss."
    The company calls itself a training company, but when 20 somethings are training on topics they have no experience with... lessons can't be taken seriously.
    Lacks diverse work force. Lots of fresh out of college, women, in their early 20s. This can make for a very "high school" atmosphere.
    No part-time positions.
    The interview process .... is just terrible on every level from tests to the interviewers being prepared.

Be consistent within the company on expectations. Don't let some departments have rampant poor work ethics while others have high standards. Set company standards for what is expected and enforce them... for example, some departments have very high punctuality standards, others allow tardiness to run rampant.

Dec 10, 2013Representative

We are committed to continuously evaluating our policies and procedures within our organization and embrace the opinions of each of our employees. As such, we survey our workforce each year and found ... More

unrealistic expectations, stressful environment, immature management

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay can be very rewarding
    You aren't stuck in the office all day
    If you get a good manager you will continue to be motivated if you get a bad manager you will hate monday mornings

Cons

Lack of support - as a sales person you have to set the appointment, close the deal, implement the technology, transition the client, train the client - you basically wear 12 hats
    12 hour workdays in sales most of the time
    They expect you to be a robot
    They treat you like a child unless you are way above quota

Don't promote people to management solely based on the fact that they were a good sales rep, please ENSURE that they will not be a petty immature brat and play favorites

Jul 26, 2013Representative

Your feedback is appreciated. We do ask our sales executives to help transition and train our clients because we are a customer focused company. As you pointed out, we reward our reps accordingly ... More

From a sales rep point of view...

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent products offered and a fair and reasonable price. Not sure what else I can say for pros.

Cons

Paycom was a crazy place to work. I was one of 18 reps that had three managers in our region, which got trimmed to 3 sales reps. I did well there, but seeing new people working at the desk next to mine every month was getting old. I love all the other cheerleader posts that give 5 stars and say what an awesome place it is to work. They love that Paycom cool aid!

Good luck

Great product, great compensation, BOILER ROOM in sales

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has a great product that excels in its targeted market. The compensation is very lucrative and the total compensation (salary, commission, benefits, stock options, 401k, President's Club, etc.) is hard to beat. All aspects of the sales role are highly micro-managed. This is not a job for experienced sales professionals. If you are fresh out of college or in your first 1-3 years in the workplace, this is a great company to make great earnings and learn a tremendous amount about professional B2B sales. Warning: the work environment is a pressure cooker. Even when you are over plan you will still feel burdened for not having more deals to bring in. This lends itself to very high turnover. There are very few sales reps that have been with the company more than 2-3 years. Overall, you can make a great living for 1-3 years if you can put up with the stress; not a great place for the development of a long term career.

Cons

Overall pressure cooker in sales. Reps are highly micro-managed and there is very little career trajectory for the vast majority. New reps come in and out on a regular basis.

The number one reason reps stay at Paycom is the compensation; however there are many other factors to reduce turnover that aren't being explored at all. Focus on developing a better work environment so that your employees feel valued and not like just a YTD number on the leader board.

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!