Paycom

Updated September 12, 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • Amazing base salary and commission structure (in 10 reviews)

• If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment!!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are great people working here! There are many benefits to working at Paycom. They provide $1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions.

Cons

The pay for my position is a bit low for the amount of stress the work causes. They have black out periods every quarter and year end. This job requires a lot of overtime.

Professional Sales Career with TONS of Opportunity!!

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Great opportunity to become a true sales professional. Solution Selling, Focus on C-Level, Ongoing training, Great Income.... Everything you would look for in a sales career. Culture = Fun!!

Cons

Requires Dedication, Intelligence, Persistence and Strong Mental Focus on goals. Great opportunity for those who are career minded and are overachievers.

Thank you for all of your dedication to the people at Paycom!!

Paycom Response

Jul 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you value what Paycom is doing to help its employees!

Excited to part of a winning team!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, training, career paths in almost every department, true leaders driving the boat, passionate managers and people across the organization. Protected territories, competitive comp plan where they treat me like the executive that I am.

Cons

Because of the nature of our business and the importance of always being here to service our amazing customers the holidays are a time we need to be in the office. However when we are here it is a great environment and management shows their appreciation!

Continue with healthy lunch options, thank you for the beautiful new facility in OKC.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Read review: The Full True Story

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Some of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

Cons

The review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Dedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Paycom Response

Jul 17, 2014Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

We work very hard for the success we have but the reward is there waiting on the other side. The growth within the company is there, you just need to decide if it's something your willing to work for!

Cons

Sales is demanding and sometimes you need a couple extra days to unwind and be with your family, friends, ect. So vacation days is something I think should be looked into.

Vacation time

Hard work = $$

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great training!! I am rewarded for the hard work that I have put in, and I able to continue to grow. I work closely with my managers and other team members to be successful. This position will never be a position where you can cruise under the radar. You have to continue to work hard to be successful!

Cons

Long hours, and PTO time. Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult. There is a lot to learn and with being in sales - I want to be successful quickly, so there is training and things I had to take home to complete. There are also time where I had to stay late or come in early to get everything complete. However, once I get a handle on everything I know I will have a better work life balance. Also, PTO isn't great year 1, but it gets better with year 2 and on!

Keep pushing your reps, AND helping your reps!

Corporate Sales Recruiter

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paycom recruiting team is a family. We work hard together and play hard together. We strive for excellence daily staffing the nation with the best of the best. We had a tough job that is balanced with a supportive management, equally driven team members, and a rewarding compensation plan that reminds you that hard work always pays off!

Cons

You will not work 8 to 5 daily and may have to be more flexible at times to cater to our product ..." people." The great people do not come to us. Sales and cold calling is something you will do on a day to day basis. If you're comfortable with that, you are set !

Increased amount of vacation time could increase productivity of employees and also create a more attractive opportunity to candidates.

management- continue to push us hard and provide us with tools to be successful

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

-outstanding learning structure
    -incredible opportunity for substantial income.
    -great focus on personal and professional development.
    -growing leadership structure.
    -positive and motivating c-level executives.
    -incredible growth rate with opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

-a high magnitude of redundant busy work.
    -micromanagement
    -sales cult of clones: one way to sell, and no other. Be prepared to drink the Koolaid.
    -training is tailored to mold the entry level rather than the experienced rep.
    -poor work-life balance. Average hours of 60+ per week with work being brought home and time taken away from personal and family life.
    -rewarding in the economical sense, but not a rewarding career otherwise.
    -young leadership with much to learn and unrealistic expectations.
    -numerous competitors in the industry.

Best Career choice I could have made.

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company provides so much incentive, from catered lunches, luncheons sponsored by the company once a month, a weekend getaway at the end of every year, to VERY affordable health insurance. Paycom really looks out for their employee's. The work environment is great and the amount of training that is offered is incomparable. I feel fully equipped to conquer whatever the day might throw at me. Not to mention the base salary is well worth all the hard work.

Cons

The work load is not an easy one, but if you like to keep busy and can stay organized Paycom is most definitely a great place to work and to grow professionally. Some times of the year require more hours at the office, which can be exhausting, but that is just part of any job.

While training has helped me immensely, the required trainings can at times detract from my workload. If every other week I have to attend a required training and I have x amount of projects and calls to make, then I am being set up to get behind. There is a lot of expectation as far as my position goes, which I am capable of meeting. A more clear chain of priorities between personal development and taking care of clients and projects would make balancing these two more manageable.

Rewarding!!

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with the company for over 3 years and I have never once regretted my decision to leave my job and come to Paycom. The money is exceptional, but that is just one perk to the position. This is the first company that I have worked for that truly cared about my growth and development. In my last job, I felt that they only trained me to handle my current job responsibilities. I feel like Paycom is constantly grooming me to eventually run the company. :) We talk a lot about mental management in my office and I believe that is one of the reasons I’ve been able to work through the hard times. Not every day is perfect here, but I wake up every morning excited for the day and I love knowing that I can go as far as I want in this company.

Cons

It is a sales job. You have quotas and expectations are high. Since I started with the company I feel like Paycom continues to hire better and better executives. Competition is high so you need to realize that you might not be a superstar from day one, but I have seen some of my colleagues sell just as much in the first year as other reps in their 4th or 5th year. Working with my last company it was impossible to be in the top 5 your 1st or 2nd or even 3rd year. But here, it’s up to you!

3 years ago I would have said vacation time, but in your 3rd year that is not an issue. The only thing I can think of is more team events where you can bring your family. I love hanging out with my coworkers, but I would love to be able to bring my spouse out to dinner everyonce in a while.

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!