Paycom

Updated December 17, 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good and bad all rolled up into one tortilla

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunches= $4.
    Constant Paycom cheer leading & freebies (ie: shirts, pens, etc).
    On-site gym
    Medical care= $1 (not including vision & dental).
    Company wide participation events (ie: contests, trivia, fundraising).
    Employee recognition.
    Parties.
    Company is growing and there is good job security.
    Benefits are decent & there is a 401k plan with match.
    For many departments, generally consistent hours.

Cons

Lots of office politics.
    Cliques are not discouraged.
    The quality of your experience working for Paycom will depend on your department/team
    In my own team, employees with bad work ethics have been rewarded, good behaviors are overlooked.
    On the same note, rewards are often left to chance instead of merit.
    Don't expect to get most holidays off-- do expect to come in during inclement weather... or else.
    Not a lot of vacation or sick time.
    Internal growth is minimal outside of your own department, Paycom has few internal positions posted, most are for external applicants only .
    Lower level management has "training" on leadership by people inexperienced in leadership. Managers/leads don't understand what it means to be a leader as opposed to a "boss."
    The company calls itself a training company, but when 20 somethings are training on topics they have no experience with... lessons can't be taken seriously.
    Lacks diverse work force. Lots of fresh out of college, women, in their early 20s. This can make for a very "high school" atmosphere.
    No part-time positions.
    The interview process .... is just terrible on every level from tests to the interviewers being prepared.

Be consistent within the company on expectations. Don't let some departments have rampant poor work ethics while others have high standards. Set company standards for what is expected and enforce them... for example, some departments have very high punctuality standards, others allow tardiness to run rampant.

Dec 10, 2013Representative

We are committed to continuously evaluating our policies and procedures within our organization and embrace the opinions of each of our employees. As such, we survey our workforce each year and found ... More

unrealistic expectations, stressful environment, immature management

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay can be very rewarding
    You aren't stuck in the office all day
    If you get a good manager you will continue to be motivated if you get a bad manager you will hate monday mornings

Cons

Lack of support - as a sales person you have to set the appointment, close the deal, implement the technology, transition the client, train the client - you basically wear 12 hats
    12 hour workdays in sales most of the time
    They expect you to be a robot
    They treat you like a child unless you are way above quota

Don't promote people to management solely based on the fact that they were a good sales rep, please ENSURE that they will not be a petty immature brat and play favorites

Jul 26, 2013Representative

Your feedback is appreciated. We do ask our sales executives to help transition and train our clients because we are a customer focused company. As you pointed out, we reward our reps accordingly ... More

From a sales rep point of view...

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent products offered and a fair and reasonable price. Not sure what else I can say for pros.

Cons

Paycom was a crazy place to work. I was one of 18 reps that had three managers in our region, which got trimmed to 3 sales reps. I did well there, but seeing new people working at the desk next to mine every month was getting old. I love all the other cheerleader posts that give 5 stars and say what an awesome place it is to work. They love that Paycom cool aid!

Good luck

Great product, great compensation, BOILER ROOM in sales

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a great product that excels in its targeted market. The compensation is very lucrative and the total compensation (salary, commission, benefits, stock options, 401k, President's Club, etc.) is hard to beat. All aspects of the sales role are highly micro-managed. This is not a job for experienced sales professionals. If you are fresh out of college or in your first 1-3 years in the workplace, this is a great company to make great earnings and learn a tremendous amount about professional B2B sales. Warning: the work environment is a pressure cooker. Even when you are over plan you will still feel burdened for not having more deals to bring in. This lends itself to very high turnover. There are very few sales reps that have been with the company more than 2-3 years. Overall, you can make a great living for 1-3 years if you can put up with the stress; not a great place for the development of a long term career.

Cons

Overall pressure cooker in sales. Reps are highly micro-managed and there is very little career trajectory for the vast majority. New reps come in and out on a regular basis.

The number one reason reps stay at Paycom is the compensation; however there are many other factors to reduce turnover that aren't being explored at all. Focus on developing a better work environment so that your employees feel valued and not like just a YTD number on the leader board.

Benefits and compensation are good but not really a good place to work.

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

*Great pay
    *Year-end party
    *Special celebrations (payroll week, monthly luncheon, and holiday celebrations)
    *Promotion opportunities
    *Cheap lunch and health insurance for employee only

Cons

*Long hours at quarter end and year end
    *Heavy work load for some employees while other employees have time to socialize all day
    *Favoritism, management will choose people that they like and those people will get promoted faster and be able to do whatever they want

Management acts like they value their employees but they really only value the employees who they are friends with and employees who make their whole life their job. Vacation and sick time really is not that good compared to other companies and you only get 5 holidays off, New Years is considered the 6th holiday paid but most people usually have to work it. Just like high school, if you are in the popular crowd you are golden and probably love working there, but if you aren't then you can work really hard and not move up or even get fired. You can move up through the different levels of payroll specialist fairly quickly but you have to take tests and if you don't take the tests you get in trouble. Also, anyone can move up to the highest level of payroll specialist as long as they pass the tests, even if they are not the best employee. Management demands that people are clocked in on time but don't seem to care if people go to get coffee or socialize once they are clocked in. Also, the managers are not always there on time themselves.

Disburse the work more evenly and if someone is overworked then find a way to remove some of their workload or move some of their clients to another specialists. Hire more specialists and lower the client load. Get a suggestion box and actually listen to your employees. Don't punish employees for being a minute late unless you are willing to punish the employees who clock in on time then spend 10 or 20 minutes getting coffee and socializing. Lead by example, if you want the employees to be clocked in at 8 on the dot then be at your desk at that time and make sure the team leaders are too. Employees get resentful when they are punished for being a minute late but see their team leader or surpervisor stroll in a few minutes late. A huge amount of employees in several departments are very unhappy and they are constantly looking for a new job, several of them are waiting to be vested in units or for the company to go public then they plan on leaving.

Outside Sales

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, above average base pay, decent training

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours and get micromanaged. REPORTS REPORTS REPORTS--wasted time preparing these long reports. Manager never had advice--was a good cheerleading when you were doing well, but no constructive criticism or help if you were having a down month.
    Sales reps aren't just required to sell, but see entire transition process through--company spins this as an advantage over competition because there is accountability, but it leaves less time for sales rep to hit quota & are faced with issues only a transition team would be able to answer.
    -They are experiencing major growing pains & are going downhill fast.

Just because someone is good in sales, doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a good manager--Holly Faurot however truly cares about her employees & is a genuine, great leader

FIRED for background check

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Room for growth, nice co-workers, good commission potential, good product, training was done well, i just don't know about the senior management.

Cons

Got FIRED for failing a background check one week after hire. I had a minor possession of alcohol ticket in college and a marijuana pipe conviction when I was 15 as a juvenile. In CO this is a petty offense. Give me a break HR, these are slap on the wrist crimes. People change from when they are 15. This is not the FBI. Senior management does not care about employees and would not even listen to an explanation. Sorry paycom but you missed out on a good employee. BAD senior management and corporate structure that screw you over for NO reason. Also, interview process is horrible, CANVASSING session??? horrible.

Care for your employees as individuals not numbers. Look at how people do canvassing session, not just to see they hit 3 appointments or not. Look past the numbers senior management.

Not bad for 21 year olds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Nice office, people are mostly friendly. The benefit package for single people without children is very nice.

Cons

The pay is minimal for college graduates. One can make more money at any retail store without a degree.

Spend less money on snacks, and more money on employees.

Great company to work for in certain positions

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: $1 dollar health care
    miscellaneous pros: Gym, boot camp classes during lunch, zumba classes after work, .25 cent soda, $4 dollar catered lunches, Paycom prom, free lunches once a month, Training classes, Free Paycom shirts
    The overall environment is very friendly and professional
    They do value your honest feedback and opinions and try to improve, by sending out surveys every so often on the company.

Cons

For any of the admin positions the pay is horrible. Turn over rate is high for that position because of the pay and the opportunity for advancement is poor. 4% percent raises a year. When others get quarterly bonuses, raises, special incentives and recognitions. Over worked and under paid for that position and certain departments will not allow you to transfer to another. Department require lots of over time, Coming into work early, working through lunch and staying after 5pm
    PTO and family/work life is hard to balance your first year. Time is only accrued each pay period
    Young newly graduated employees, sometimes office drama and inappropriate things going on

Raise the pay for some positions and recognize them more for all of their hard work.

More work than employees can handle and stay sane.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, Corporate perks like cheap lunches, and a Gym that employees can use.

Cons

The company went public this year and stopped hiring even though business was coming in at a growing rate. This has made work life at Paycom very concerning. Turnover of great employees has resulted from this.

You need to hire at a lot faster rate than you currently are. There are workers doing the amount of work that 3 people should be doing.

Nov 3, 2014Representative

Thank you for your post and letting us know about your concern. As one of the fastest-growing companies in the country, we continually work to add talented employees to our staff. In fact, we are ... More