Paycom Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
181 reviews filtered by

Worst job I've ever had from the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom

Pros

the pay plan was fairly aggressive, but still not proportional to the work involved. They don't require any payroll related experience from their employees, which is good for people that need jobs, but not very good for their clients.

Cons

Working at paycom was worst than working at restaurants growing up. their leadership team has no idea what's involved half of the companies positions, or the kind of stress that's pushed onto the payroll specialist. I was working there for two years under the most incompetent manager I could imagine. Paycom only promotes from within for most positions, so most of their management team has no experience outside of the company. adding this to their high turnover, most payroll specialist have only worked for the company for less than two years. the clients are trusting kids that have barely gotten out of college with a sociology degree, to make important tax adjustments for their company.

while working there as a payroll specialist, I was never properly shown how to validate taxes at the end of each quarter. because of this, my clients had huge tax issues each quarter that they were completely unaware of. The system doesn't keep track of taxes correctly for several reasons, so taxes needed to be manually adjusted for individual employees from about 20% of my clients each quarter end. Every time I had asked for help in any circumstance, I was refereed to a "senior specialist" on my team. The senior specialist have worked for the company for at least a year and are under more stress than the entire team since they have up to 150 individual clients, and are working on their own issues each day. our senior didn't have the time, tact, or desire to adequately walk me through the process.

while initially in appears that there is a lot of potential to move up in the company, there isn't really enough growth to have a likely chance of being promoted. while working there, I saw far more employees get fired over minor mistakes, than to see employees get promoted.

the computer system frequently changes with aesthetic updates, which do nothing to fix the abundant problems and glitches that frequently come up. they have hundreds of known glitches that never see any progress, while the programmers instead direct their attention at color schemes.

while paycom does have training programs for their payroll specialist, they are extremely minimal. since the computer system changes so often, training is a constant thing. the specialist don't get much of a chance to experience the new system before an update happens, so when the clients call in with all of the new questions, as a specialist you'll have to research everything on your own. the team leaders who are over the specialist don't deal directly with the actual computer system once their promoted, and usually aren't able to keep informed of the constant system changes. as a specialist, you have no one to ask for help from when clients come up with an issue your unfamiliar with. If you ask around to the other specialist, you get different answers from each of them.

through my training some of the focuses were " never let a client know how little experience you have" , " never let your clients know how many clients you actually have", and my personal favorite, " always have the clients fix their own problems, even if you could help them significantly" . there were several occasions that came up with that last topic. For the two years that I worked there, I was only allowed to work overtime through Christmas and new years. no specialist are allowed to take any days off for all of December since the w2's are needing to be filed. I never had enough time to help my clients solve their issues. when I tried to, I was told that I was wasting time, and needed to focus on other things.

In the end, my manager overloaded me with work and through constant meetings pulling me away from all of the workload I was given, I had far too much stress to continue employment there. The health insurance was nice. the cafeteria only served salads 90% of the time. while I was originally told that my focus was the clients and to make their experience better, I was never equipped to do that, and constantly told otherwise by my direct manager. this was the worst job that I've ever taken, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. I hope to never encounter the same amount of stress that I was given through that two years of employment. I was physically sick with anxiety several times through that period.

let the specialist make request for updating things in the system and encourage them to make these requests.

Dec 30, 2014Representative

We’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t positive. Your feedback is important and has been passed on to our leadership team. We want to take a minute to address a few of your ... More

Great company to work for in certain positions

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: $1 dollar health care
    miscellaneous pros: Gym, boot camp classes during lunch, zumba classes after work, .25 cent soda, $4 dollar catered lunches, Paycom prom, free lunches once a month, Training classes, Free Paycom shirts
    The overall environment is very friendly and professional
    They do value your honest feedback and opinions and try to improve, by sending out surveys every so often on the company.

Cons

For any of the admin positions the pay is horrible. Turn over rate is high for that position because of the pay and the opportunity for advancement is poor. 4% percent raises a year. When others get quarterly bonuses, raises, special incentives and recognitions. Over worked and under paid for that position and certain departments will not allow you to transfer to another. Department require lots of over time, Coming into work early, working through lunch and staying after 5pm
    PTO and family/work life is hard to balance your first year. Time is only accrued each pay period
    Young newly graduated employees, sometimes office drama and inappropriate things going on

Raise the pay for some positions and recognize them more for all of their hard work.

My experience at Paycom has amazing! The career of a lifetime!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Paycom for almost 3 years and have nothing but positive things to say. I am grateful to have a career that I view as the career of a lifetime. Paycom provides endless opportunity to grow professionally and financially. I enjoy the challenge and get to work with true executives everyday. Paycom has completely changed my life and perspective on professionalism. Paycom rewards you for your hard work. You can become as financially successful as you want to be. You determine your income!!!

Cons

I have no cons, unless you do not enjoy hard work!

Keep up with the positive culture!

Dec 19, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. Keep up the great work!

The Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The office culture - we hire really smart, driven, positive, service-oriented people which makes for a great environment. I respect all my coworkers. They make me better and it makes coming to work enjoyable.
    Our product - I truly believe we have the best product in our industry which makes selling it, marketing it, and supporting it fun. It's awesome to work for a company/service/product you can be passionate about.
    The opportunity - The sky is the limit at Paycom. The growth we see year over year creates incredible career opportunities for committed employees. The success stories I've seen are truly inspiring and Paycom encourages the success of its employees through great training programs and leadership.

Cons

It's hard to find cons to write about at Paycom. I've worked at quite a few places in my 21-year career and seen a lot of corporate dysfunction. It's just not like that at Paycom. We have growing pains from time-to-time. Sometimes it's hard to hire fast enough so the work load becomes heavy and there are seasons where it's more stressful than others but it's always temporary.

As we get bigger and bigger, be intentional in keeping the culture we have. Continue to show your commitment to employees through great training and perks and opportunities. Don't ever stop surveying and looking for ways to affect positive change throughout the organization. You do a great job now, don't lose it as we double, triple and quadruple in size.

Change. Opportunities. Growth. Reward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Change: Paycom is constantly changing and moving at a fast pace because we do what it takes to make our clients happy with our customer service and products. We are constantly creating new ideas and innovating products to improve our system.

Opportunities: This is not an easy job, but the best part of it is that we receive opportunities daily. Most would see these as "challenges" but it is all on your perspective. Because of the constant changes and developments, this brings opportunities to think outside the box, create new ideas, learn new skill(s), and improve yourself personally and professionally. You will learn something new at least once a day.

Growth: These opportunities that we receive daily only stretch us to grow personally and professionally. This is where our most success comes from. If we see ourselves improving then our work effort will increase. Paycom and ourselves benefit from this. The more Paycom grows and improves, the more we grow and improve.

Reward: If we put in the hard work to help build this company to be successful then the more reward we get as individuals. The satisfactory of overcoming an opportunity is extremely rewarding. These actions do not go unnoticed. The managers and executives notice when hard work is being put forth and that you are dedicated to the company's vision. This leads to recognition and promotions. On top of that, the company environment is phenomenal! Everyone is so welcoming and have the same passion of striving towards Paycom's vision. The company takes care of its employees by offering fantastic benefits, affordable lunches daily, cheap vending snack/drink items, themed functions to participate in, competitions and etc.

Cons

Leadership Trainings/Classes: This is specifically for those who really what to grow and move forward as a leader. For a company you talks highly about its leaders and looking for the next leaders, having leadership course available would be beneficial. There are hardly classes or trainings on this to better ourselves. This is something that is not completely available to us.

Hearing your employee's feedback is great. It lets us know that we do not go unnoticed or unheard. Since Paycom is known for its hard working employees and great services, it lets us know you truly care. Continue to fight and stand for us and we will continue to do what is asked of us as employees.

Leaving a job I like, to work for Paycom

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Prior to Paycom, I had worked about 4 years at a company that I somewhat enjoyed. The workload was manageable, the pay wasn't terrible, and the flex time/work schedule was awesome.
    Unfortunately, I was at a point in my life that I promised I would never get to- Mediocrity.
    I would wake up, drag myself to the office, work my tail off, receive no recognition, and then convince myself at night "Well, it could be worse".

The first time I arrived in the Paycom parking lot, it was clear that this was a completely different ballgame.
    People were happy to be working... (weird, I know)

I started in Paycom in 2014, and yes the pay is great, the benefits are great, catered lunches, but I think the biggest selling point is the employees.
    I have never been at a place where people in completely different departments interact as a working community. Somehow it seems that everyone knows each other, and they are always happy to see each other in passing.

I now have a career where I can actually see my work pay off. I am rewarded and recognized for my success.

I was able to rely on my team for advice and tips while getting started. There wasn't the whole "awkward stage" of getting to know everyone and developing team chemistry before you can feel like you belong - It seems like they were happy to have me on the team, and immediately welcomed me in.

I seriously wake up in the morning looking forward to the day. Even on days where required to work late, I drive home with a smile because of how much I DON'T hate my job.
    ... and then when you think it couldn't get better, your department randomly throws an awesome team lunch or something.

If you love personal drama- you will probably hate Paycom.
    If you are looking for a job where you can shop online or play solitaire all day... you're going to have a bad time.

Cons

Hard work- Occasional long hours (based on department)
    - I was spoiled with a flexible schedule at my previous employer.

Do you want to be a successful sales rep?

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Challenging
    - Professional - high level sales
    - Not for the weak
    - Amazing training
    - Promote on talent not tenure
    - Great ramp up period to build your pipeline
    - Amazing marketing team who works with the sales team
    - Great compensation at Exec. Rep level
    - Your not selling just a tangible item, your selling an item that affects not only the company, but the employees and their families.

This is truly a high level, executive sales position. You have to be prepared for long hours, a lot of work, and to be able to push your self farther then you ever have before. If you can do that - success in your professional and personal life is just around the corner! Also, the long hours don't last forever! You truly just have to get over the new rep hump!

Cons

-Limited management training program
    -Sick and Vacation time
    -No COL adjustment

Managers need a stronger management training program to be better prepared for it, not just thrown in. They all turn out to be very successful, but I think with more up front training it would help with the lag time.

BTW - Paycom didn't force me to write this review. They ask all their employees to share their experience with friends, family, and on social media if they feel comfortable. Glassdoor is a great tool to find out about companies and I thought it was very important that people know the great things at Paycom. You are truly in charge of your own success, but it won't be easy to get. I am a true believer that success is sweeter when you have to fight for it.

Dec 10, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience and letting us know about your concerns. We are placing an emphasis on additional training for all leaders within the organization ... More

Best culture, compensation, and long-term career growth potential!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits are beyond competitive.
    Team environment
    Ability to grow within the company and be promoted quickly based on performance.

Cons

I don't currently have any cons for Paycom. If you work hard you will succeed. If you thrive on goal-based achievement then Paycom is the right choice.

Keep listening to your employees- you do a great job of implementing changes when necessary and acknowledging requests, even if action can't be taken at that time.

Moving on up

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many things to like about Paycom. A few I can think of are:

-Each position has a defined track of development. You're never left with a question of when your next raise is coming- it is all laid out for you. Advancement is based on productivity, not seniority.
    -Great benefits. Employees pay $1 for health insurance. If you have a family, they have tiered options from which to choose your health benefits to make it more affordable.
    -Fun activities! We have a yearly fall festival to the pumpkin patch, Santa comes to corporate, and National Payroll Week is a blast!
    - Paycom also generously gives to the community. I won't work for a company that won't give.

Cons

Holidays are our busiest time. Being a customer focused organization, we have to make sure we are here for our customers. That means little time off at the end of the year. Most employees are able to earn overtime to get additional money during that time though.

Keep up the good work. Continue to look at benefits and vacation.

Blessed to be working for such an AMAZING company!!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I have been at Paycom for right at 1 year and I have never felt more appreciated in my role. This company truly does value their employees. If you like to be rewarded for your hard work than Paycom is the right company for you. I have high expectations for my career path and those expectations can finally be met with a company like this! The training that Paycom offered blew me away! Our very own CSO conducted the corporate training; I learned more from the CSO in 1 week then I learned with my previous company in 8 weeks!

Cons

What cons? This company values their employees and offers an amazing compensation structure and benefits package! Work hard play harder!