Paycom

Updated January 21, 2015
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales- Churn and Burn

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For the (in my estimate) less than 10% of reps that actually crush it, the comp is pretty unbelievable. Solid resume builder if you can last a year or longer. You'll learn a lot about various aspects of business that are applicable to many other opportunities. I still think the product and service model is the best available option for probably 85% of businesses in Paycom's target market, but that may just be the Paycom Kool-Aid talking.. There's another "pro": lots of kool-aid.

Cons

The rest of these reviews are heavily skewed by management or operations roles at corporate that are completely different and, in my opinion, not at all representative of the typical Paycom Sales Rep Experience. Key things to expect in the sales roles here:

Truly Impressive turnover- 70% of my class was gone by our 9th month. This was typical and my office had even worse figures for first year reps.

Terrible culture- Even the majority of those who excel are constantly debating leaving. They hang on for the next commission check and put up with management until they finally can't take it any more. You will be worked like a dog and given the worst PTO and Holiday policies I've ever seen. Management literally scoffs at, and is baffled by, the concept of work-life balance. There is also constant politicking so be ready to play the game 24/7.

Obstructive micro management- You'll constantly be struggling to balance the work you really need to complete to close business and the busy work your manager makes you do to hit activity metrics that haven't been relevant for years.

Update metrics that reps are evaluated on to reflect today's sales cycle. Continue moving towards a more modern sales process with SDR's. Get out of your reps way and let them do what they were hired to do.

Dec 5, 2014Representative

We appreciate your post and can assure you that this has been sent to leaders within our sales organization. Regarding the estimated “less than 10%” of successful reps: on average roughly 30 percent ... More

The best and most exciting company in OKC

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Paycom as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is a fun, positive company to work for. I've been employed at Paycom for 3 years and have loved every minute of it. The employees and management are willing to work hard to get the job done, even if it means working overtime and weekends sometimes. If you are not willing to dedicate yourself to your job, this would not be a good fit. However, they seem to have the hiring process down to find the right people. You will be surrounded by smart, energetic, and hard working people here.

The pay starts out competitively with other entry-level jobs but quickly surpasses those salaries. They know their employees work hard, and they compensate them for it when they know they are going to stick around. The health insurance is $1. The lunches and employee activities are great. It's truly a place that strives to do well first by treating employees well.

The company also has its own extensive training program in place. You will never have a question that you can't find an answer to - there's a great support system built inside the company.

Cons

It is hard to take time off, and working overtime during the holidays can be rough as it's the busiest time of the year in the payroll industry. There are also silly activities that can sometimes make it feel more like a high school than a professional atmosphere.

Keep doing what you're doing! Listen to employees when they keep saying vacation time is an issue and see if you can fix it. Other than that, best management in OKC by far.

Great place to work for Personal, financial, and Professional Growth!

Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Paycom is that the Leadership team is completely committed to developing its employees. not only at work, but there are training topics that cover Personal growth, Leadership, Professional Growth, and how to manage difficult situations, which we ALL face in our lives.

Cons

This job can be challenging, however, if you like to grow, this is where you NEED to be. If you want to exceed your expectations and flourish, this is where you NEED to be. In business, we are either declining, or growing. Of course, the better end of this is to grow and with that comes Growing Pains!

Keep driving and encourage people. Keep the culture as Building people up, and not tear them down. Continue to be slow to punish, but Quick to reward. Empower, Motivate, Inspire, Serve, and keep Growing.

If you want a career Paycom is the best.

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Promotes from within, competitive salary levels, excellent training team that provides continued education for employees, competitive benefit packages, and a upbeat and "fun" culture to be a part of.

Cons

We only hire the best so the interview process is intense. To become a Paycom employee is a badge of honor.

Continue to listen to your people, they are the future of the company.

Nov 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience at Paycom! You are right on the interview process as Glassdoor ranked Paycom one the Top 25 Most Difficult Companies to Interview!

Best Career I Ever Had!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All the change and opportunity is by far superior to any other company I have worked. Any position here is challenging but the bigger picture is always explained and we all know what we are working towards.

Paycom gives you the opportunity to innovate and create change. There is not a lot of red tape here. You have an idea, go for it. You are highly encouraged to help grow the company and find better ways of doing things. In turn, this makes you a more experienced professional and builds your business intellect.

There are so many things that the HR team and department managers give us to make an incredible working experience.

Cons

We definitely need more internal efficiencies. We are growing so fast and there are the normal growing pains but we are really good at perfecting our processes. Automation would rapidly transform our business to become even faster growing. More people energy could go into innovation and progress if we spent less time on manual work.

The amazing thing about "cons" with Paycom, is we quickly address and make change happen. Nothing remains a "con" for very long.

Continue to give us the opportunity to help grow Paycom. Continue to provide feedback, praise, and gratitude and your employees will continue to stay loyal. Continue to hire intelligent, hardworking, innovative, contributors. Consumers with victim mentalities will only slow us down. Continue to grow yourselves, each other, and all your employees into competitive business professionals. I challenge you to grow Paycom at 50%!!!!!

Nothing But Lies! No Diversity, All Good Reviews On Glassdoor Are Fake:

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits Are Ok But Thats It

Cons

Warning!!!!!!!!!! Anytime You See This Many Good Reviews They Are All Fake Even The Best Companies In The World To Work For Dont Have This Many Reviews That Are Good. The Reviews Are Fabricated By Paycom. Just Last Year Alone Our Reviews Were Very Bad But Paycom Had A Solution To This By Developing Good Reviews Themselves. They Also Have No Diversity And They Dont Want It Either, Racist, Pay Should Be Better For This Industry. We Were Ask To Post Good Reviews Online And We Would Get Bonuses. Keep In Mind I Wasnt Willing To Do It Because It Would Be Nothing But Lies And Im Sure Someone Will Add More Lies After This Review But Its Sad How Things Are Ran Within This Company. They Dont Want To Hire Anyone Of Color Its Terrible For The Company they prefer people that look like me and them WHITE, they dont believe that anyone that is a person of color would be able to be trusted by business owners and sell payroll and they believe that people of color cant sell at all and it makes the company look bad this is how the entire company is if you dont believe me look at LinkedIn and call corporate and ask how many minorities( African-American, Hispanic, Asian, etc) do they have on staff. Anyone That Has More Then 2 Jobs On There Resume Is A Job Hopper, Prefers College Graduates So They Can Do Whatever They Tell Them, Management Is Terrible one you are hired And Most Dont Know What They Are Doing Especially There Recruiters What A Joke they also have a certain type that they like to hire again look at LinkedIn they eventually will have a class action lawsuit with all of there dated practices, This Is The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked. They Actually Want People To Believe That This Is One Of The Best Places To Work In America When All Of This On Glassdoor Is Fabricated By The Owners, Management, And Hr. This Company Lives In The Ice Ages And They Will Do Anything To Make Potential Employees Believe That They Are A Good Company To Work For. There's Better Companies In America That Appreciate Diversity, Pay Well, And Have Great Management, And Excellent Benefits. Paycom Is Nothing What People Are Saying In These Fake Reviews My Advice Run And Dont Even Waste Your Time With Paycom Unless You Want To Be A Part Of The Revolving Door They Are Always Hiring They Cant Keep Sales Reps And If They Hire You And You Are A Person Of Color If You Cough Wrong You Will Be Fired It Goes On Throughout The Company.

Terrible. Get All New Management in every department!

Nov 17, 2014Representative

We understand that not all posts are positive. In fact, we embrace all feedback, both good and bad. However, this post violates many of the Glassdoor Review Standards as it’s unbalanced, full of ... More

More work than employees can handle and stay sane.

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, Corporate perks like cheap lunches, and a Gym that employees can use.

Cons

The company went public this year and stopped hiring even though business was coming in at a growing rate. This has made work life at Paycom very concerning. Turnover of great employees has resulted from this.

You need to hire at a lot faster rate than you currently are. There are workers doing the amount of work that 3 people should be doing.

Nov 3, 2014Representative

Thank you for your post and letting us know about your concern. As one of the fastest-growing companies in the country, we continually work to add talented employees to our staff. In fact, we are ... More

My experience was very pleasant.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom offers great benefits to their employees.

Cons

Paycom has a ranking system with their employees.

They shouldn't rank their employees and should treat them more equally.

Terrible Environment...Untrue Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training and Salary:

Training is quite extensive, yet in regard to applicable substance (applying the sales methodology in the field) its doesn't translate well to real life situations. Yet, when as a sales representative, you fall into the situations when the deal is easy to close (very rare), the amount of commission you can make is competitive to other payroll companies. However, the base salary is still 5 figures below what your going to get at the bigger competitors.

Cons

Culture, Management, Job Security:

Overall, this is a company that is lacking in each of these to the increasing detriment of all sales representatives.
    It's confusing because since the company has gone public, and is increasingly flush with cash, there still is a supreme lack attention paid to issues.

It might start with management since the majority of senior positions are filled with young 20 somethings that only have a year or 2 years of sales experience! This created several situations where sales representatives in my region either blatantly disregarded instructions from management due to their lack of knowledge and sales skills or management adopted draconian measures to keep track of sales representatives effectively destroying any sense of freedom to run, close, and process sales.

When it comes to culture, its a boiler room and don't let the interviewer tell you other wise. You have to perform or you will be sliced extremely quickly. Again, commissions are great when you do but this is a doubled-edged sword as even if you are at or exceeding your quota, you are forever asked "what you got next?"

- Weekly Quotas/Sell or get fired.

At the end of the day your quota does not matter, presidents club or otherwise. This
    has only gotten worse as the quarterly earnings reports that the company has to file are opportunities for C-Level staff to cut office spending on team contests and drive sales teams to work 13hr days to squeeze out more revenue to impress the stock holders. Again, you will be cut indiscriminately if you are seen as not abiding by this team mentality.

Also, there are christian attitudes impressed significantly upon the entire company. Often time the national sales call which are weekly, will intertwine sales success with prayers from senior management. Its extremely uncomfortable and I believe illegal.

Job Security, because of the above reasons, is always a guessing game. Not only can you be terminated for lack of continual performance, but you can be terminated for a "bad attitude". I've see reps dismissed instantly for "bumming the office out". Tough days in the job are in abundance, but you are not allowed to share those struggles.

Between the months long payroll setups - customers terminating their payment before commission is paid - Paycom charging your commission back because a customers termed before the 6 month mark - working on during black out holiday months (November / December)..etc. there will be many tough days.

This also goes the same for office politics. You have to be liked, in a personal sense (non-professional) by your direct supervisor or you will be first on the block. Again, I've seen representatives in my region perform well through out the year, and the in first down month they have had, their supervisor PIPs them and terminates them the proceeding month. And this was in the case of a representative exceeding quota up until that time.

Advice to Potential New Hires:

Apply to either Workday, ADP, ZenPayroll, Paylocity....etc.

Any of these will have Better Pay, Better Work Life Balance, and slightly better management.

Stop having team members write your own glassdoor reviews.
    This is suppose to be a neutral forum for potential new hires to assess if the company can be a fit for them.
    Learn that the annual surveys you run are not a reflection of the actual dissatisfaction stewing inside the organization. Staff and employees are afraid of voicing their real opinions in fear of instant termination.

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.