Paycom

Updated November 19, 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• 1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor leadership and write their own company reviews

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are great. If you have the perfect storm, you will be well compensated in commission.

Cons

The company has no listed values or moral conduct. They promote based on achievement which is great, until you get the job and realize that your achievement is based on your territory. They do not review the territories and just assign them, therefore you can get into a tricky situation if you get a rough territory and a manager who is unwilling to listen to your concerns. They have no way of standardizing metrics, so you will be selling a territory of 5 zip codes against someone who has a whole state and you will be held to the same standards. They are very old school in their management tactics and use verbal threats and write ups as motivation.

Invest in your leadership. Do a Six Sigma training so that leaders understand realistic metrics and set good expectations. Set a moral code for your company.

Oct 10, 2014Representative

Thank you for pointing out the positives in the pay and benefits. We are sorry to hear you feel the way you do, but we want you and others to know that we do review territories. We divide ... More

The best company with a cubicle setting in OKC

Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

$1 medical insurance, $4 catered in lunches

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle, the rest is all great

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive, positive work environment, great team spirit! Paycom is overall a great company to work for! If you have the drive and desire there are people willing to help you succeed. The opportunities at Paycom are endless! The company culture is second-to-none and all the sales reps feel like one big family, we are always encouraging one another along the way.

Cons

The first year is the hardest only because there is so much to learn; however, the training is excellent and after you build that solid foundation, you feel completely prepared for anything.

Phenomenal company with excellent opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

At Paycom, there are incredible opportunities for advancement. My manager is deeply invested in my success and I have gained more experience here than any other job before. I honestly believe that Paycom is one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a lot of work, but I love what I do so it is worth it.

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initially everything I learned about Paycom sounded too good to be true, and now I look at my life and everything is too good and too true! The culture is incredible, and it is the best feeling to work for a company with such incredible people. I can say it is the most difficult and most rewarding thing I have ever experienced. I love the challenge of every day. Success is in reach if you are intelligent, hard working, and positive!

Cons

I would say if you are not able to mentally manage your attitude and you are not mentally strong, you will fail!

Keep it up!!!

Sep 24, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. Your positive attitude will continue to propel your career. You keep it up as well!

Personal and Professional Growth with Paycom

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Paycom straight out of college over 4 years ago. At the time, I wanted to be in sales so that I could make great money. At the time, I had offers from the usual big name suspects for entry level sales positions, but I chose to work at Paycom because I wanted to be in a company that was in hyper growth mode and who promoted from within. My ultimate goal was to lead others. Honestly at the time, I don't think that I realized exactly what I was getting and that I had made the best decision of my life.

As a new sales rep at Paycom, it is definitely the hardest work you will have done up to that point in your life. We are very straight forward with candidates and new hires about the day to day of your job, which is also a big part of why we have every candidate participate in a phone canvassing session prior to receiving a job offer. In your first year, you are learning all about the industry, our product, sales, etc so it does take hard work and determination. The great thing is that we offer an amazing support system and training program to help you along the way. Once we decide to hire someone, we've decided to give 110% of ourselves to helping them succeed.

Every new rep goes through a 4 week in depth training program which consists of product and sales training. In addition to this, each office manager conducts trainings specific to that rep or their team and what they need help on weekly.

While this is outside B2B sales, most managers communicate with their reps daily and many times more than once throughout the day. We work to assist the reps in their sales and strategy on the accounts they are working. If you are looking for a hands off management style or company, Paycom is not the right place for you.

With your manager and team, there will be much discussion surrounding quota, goals--- numbers wise, professional goals (like moving into management) and personal goals. We work with our team to help them develop all around as a person and not just a number that they're bringing in.

Now, being a sales manager at Paycom, I can say without a doubt that the people who succeed at Paycom are driven, goal oriented, hard working individuals. I am amazing everyday by the achievements that I see happening all around me and I can honestly say that I am grateful everyday to be a part of such an amazing team of sales professionals all across the country. Some of my best friends that I will have for life, I have met at Paycom.

If you're looking for a long term sales career with a growing company, come to Paycom, it will be the best decision of your life!

Cons

I don't personally have any cons. Every day you will face challenges and the way you handle them will determine your own level of success. Every tool and support person is at your finger tips, if you're willing to do the work, you will be a very happy and wealthy person at a very young age.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

This place is a growth factory. I've gotten more experience here than anywhere else.

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth and experience. I've been able to own more and bigger successes here than any other place I've ever worked. Investing in a good idea by an employee is something every company wants to believe they do. But here I actually feel empowered to do it.
    It's fun to work here. My team is stellar and our leaders support us.
    And knowing you can get a good lunch (Greek is my favorite day) for $4 without leaving the building is a great perk.

Cons

If anything, it's the minimalist time off policy.

To paraphrase Moses: Let my people go (on vacation).

Endless Opportunities

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycom has the most opportunity for growth around and I have thrived since joining the team. Starting out as a rep you make more than others in the industry, which is a huge plus. Then you have the opportunity to become manager after just a few years. Depending on your work-ethic and ability to consistently deliver results the sky is the limit.

Unlike other companies, as a sales rep at Paycom you get to add unique business value and this is something I take great pride in. After the sale I am able to help ensure the prospects I signed on are up and operating smoothly. I was the one that earned their trust and they deserve my undivided care and attention.

The marketing department is always there to support us and the setup teams at corporate are amazingly skillful. Oh and did I mention the compensation is out of this world.

Cons

I would like to be more connected with what is going on with the specialists at corporate and the culture they have built. But the culture in my office is amazing. A lot is expected of Paycom's sales reps and a lot is given in return.

Keep giving us the opportunity to grow professionally and personally.

Whoever says Paycom does not require ENDLESS work hours... they're lying

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands down, this is a company in which you can make GREAT money, especially as a recent college grad (as they tend to hire).

Unheard of starting base, with no experience (50k) and you make 10% of every sale you make. Also, additional bonuses for starting on time (2%).

They also give you car allowance (that is supposed to cover wear and tear, insurance, and gas) which I believe is $500/month.

Cell phone allowance= $25/month... really low, but they pay you so high elsewhere that this can be overseen.

$1 health insurance (with no dependents)

Again, the pros of working for this company is all monetary.

They're sales training is amazing! My core foundation of understanding sales and the sales process has been thanks to Paycom. This, is something that no one can take away from them.

When you first begin the position you have 2 weeks of non-stop training in the office (with your national training class via conference and WebEx meetings) They will focus more on product in those 2 weeks and some people have even gotten fired during this phase if they are not picking up the system quickly enough. They then they fly you out to corporate headquarters for another week of sales training. (to say we started out as about 16 people in my training class in 2012 and now there are only 2 who are still currently working there still... turn over is that bad. If you make it past your first year, you tend to be labeled as one of the rookies in your office).

Cons

Where to begin!!!!!

First of all, they hire recent college graduates because, frankly, they don't know any better. They sell you on all the money that you will be making, but rest assure there is NO work/life balance with this position.

I was not a rep who did not do well... on the contrary, I was the top rep in my office the entire time I was there. I clearly had the work ethic and drive, but there comes a point where you realize money is not everything. I was miserable and that misery affected my personal relationships with my friends, significant other, and family. To me, there is no career that is worth sacrificing all of those things.

As a sales rep, you are not only expected to sell, but also IMPLEMENT (meaning endless amounts of tax packets that you have deadlines in which you need to send to the Setup Team) but you are also expected to TRAIN and be on-hand to run their first payroll. Selling, is the easiest part, the most difficult and time-consuming aspect of your position will be doing this. I can safely say that I have stayed in the office till 10pm or with my clients, training and setting up, until that time. You are also expected to be in the office at 7:30am!

You can also sell a new business, but if you do not stick around to start it (run their first payroll with them), then you do not get your commission. The person who ultimately gets the commission is the one who is there to hit 'submit' for the first time. And if your client leaves within 6 months, they can take that commission away from you.

Also, while you are implementing and training, you are expected to still sell and set 7 NEW APPOINTMENTS every week out of a list of approximately 100-120 businesses they give you. You must call on these businesses TWICE a week... same people, same companies,same lines you try to give them all the time. So you can imagine, with time, appointments lessen.

The reason they are able to pay those 50k base is because you essentially are doing about 3 peoples jobs.

Their Time off policies are also terrible:
    5 vacation
    5 sick

They also have blackout months, which you cannot request any time off whatsoever. And even though they only give you a measly 5 vacation days, it is still frowned upon to take all of your time off. You would think with how much they overworked you, they would give you more time to destress.

Sep 16, 2014Representative

While we appreciate your review it is disheartening to hear you feel so negatively in regards to career that you pointed out has many amazing perks including pay and training. We strive for a ... More

Paycom gave me a career, not a job!

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before I started with Paycom, I was almost embarrassed to tell people where I worked. I did the same thing every day with low pay and low chances for advancement. I was referred to Paycom by a friend and it has been the best career move of my life. Sure, I started from the bottom, but Paycom promotes from within and I have been promoted, or given a raise, 5 times in 5 years of service. Paycom provides the opportunity to obtain a job and develop it into a career.

Cons

There aren't any cons. Sure, the work can be hard, but it's always rewarding. Yes, there is a lot of change, but we are reshaping the industry and change is required.

Continue to focus on training. I've never worked for a company who valued training and developing their employees as much as Paycom does.