Paycom

Updated January 21, 2015
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Paycom gave me a career, not a job!

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before I started with Paycom, I was almost embarrassed to tell people where I worked. I did the same thing every day with low pay and low chances for advancement. I was referred to Paycom by a friend and it has been the best career move of my life. Sure, I started from the bottom, but Paycom promotes from within and I have been promoted, or given a raise, 5 times in 5 years of service. Paycom provides the opportunity to obtain a job and develop it into a career.

Cons

There aren't any cons. Sure, the work can be hard, but it's always rewarding. Yes, there is a lot of change, but we are reshaping the industry and change is required.

Continue to focus on training. I've never worked for a company who valued training and developing their employees as much as Paycom does.

A few rotten apples do not tell the REAL and TRUE story about Paycom

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow, a company that cares, compensation that is unbeatable

Cons

Past sales reps who did have the ethic and skill to be successful trying to make other great candidates not apply

If a prospective sales representative wants the REAL and TRUE story of Paycom, then you should hear it from someone who has been successful and has worked hard to make their own success. While you can read the negative reviews from past employees (who clearly did not have the skills and work ethic to be successful) it is important that you understand, this job is not for everyone but the negative reviews on here are so outrageously untrue.

First of all, I have NEVER had to sacrifice work-life balance to work at Paycom. I have never had to go to a managers house on a Saturday to practice talk tracks and scripts. I have never had anyone undermine my success or set me up in a position to fail.

What I have done:
    • I have had managers and leaders that have worked tirelessly to help me achieve success.
    • I have learned how to effectively and efficiently organize my time and efforts so that I can be outrageously successful WHILE maintaining an amazing work life balance.
    • I have learned an entire industry, oh which I knew nothing about, and I am now able to confidently walk into an office employing thousands of employees and meet with the CEO and CFO of a company, and leave knowing that he looks at me as his equal. Keep in mind, I am 29 years old and most CEOs and CFOs I meet with are in their 50's-60's.
    • I have learned that in order to be successful in work and in life, I have to be willing to continually invest in my own education, goals, and work ethic. This did not require me to give up my friends and my life, but actually enhanced it, opening doors to meeting more influential people and experiences than ever before.
    • Also, since everyone complains about the PTO schedule, I will say that I have been able to afford and visit more places around the world, since joining Paycom, than I ever have in my life. Again you just have to plan and be willing to prioritize.
    • In two years, I have solidified my place at this company and have already been given the opportunity to be promoted to manage my own sales team in one of the best cities in the United States. This did not come by sitting back and expecting someone to give me this opportunity. I set a goal for myself and knew that my capabilities and work ethic were unrivaled and I worked to achieve this success.
    • I have made the kind of money that one would expect to make with the right drive and ambition. I will not tell you exactly how much, but I would say that most surgeons and top notch lawyers would be envious of the money I have already made at this point in the year. And it just continues to grow each year I have been with this company.
    • Paycom, as a company, is one of the most close-knit, family oriented companies I have ever worked for.
    • Although we have nearly 1,000 employees, I know most employees on a personal level. It is extremely rewarding to know that the vast majority of my co-workers share my vision for building our company and we are all invested in that reality.

Honestly, I could go on for much longer about my positive experience, and it would impress you. However, reading some of the negative reviews from sales reps that clearly underperformed, I ask instead that they, and you as prospective employees reading this, do one thing: take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of future you want.

This job is hard, just as any top-tier professional sales role will be. It is not for someone that does not dream big and have the work ethic to back it up. You will not be coddled along the way and provided instant success just because you are expecting it. There will be days that test your will and make you wonder if you‘re the right person for this role..

However, those that have a deep desire to achieve more than they ever thought possible, this is the place to be. If you want a rewarding career that promotes personal growth and responsibility, this is the place to be. If you want to make more money than anyone else you know, this is the place to be. You can be the only one that decides your future, and it will come through hard work and perseverance, but do not diminish your ability to be outrageously successful with Paycom because of a few bad reviews from past employees who were not strong enough or determined enough to succeed.

Paycom Response

Aug 18, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell your Paycom story. It is people like yourself that make Paycom the success it has become today.

Amazing opportunity to make an abundance of money and change your life trajectory

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take training very seriously and equip their reps with great tools to sell.

Cons

There are not alot of cons. It really is what you make it. If you don't do well that is completely on you.

Put more cash into R&D

Unbeatable Opportunity for Self- Motivated Individuals

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Paycom gives you the resources and training to be successful. The company is amazing, and the product is top-notch. The rest is up to you. If you are self motivated, looking to take their career to the next step professionally, and value delayed gratification, then this job is for you. The opportunities are endless, and the job is 100% what you make of it. I would 100% recommend Paycom to anyone looking to be rewarded and compensated for their hard work.

Cons

Year 1 PTO is not ideal, but definitely improves with tenure. It is hard work, and the hours are long so if you are looking for a "flexible" and relaxed job this is not for you.

Continue to share the success of the company with the employees and you will continue to retain the top talent you have worked so hard to get!

Amazing Culture and Compensation

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Uncapped earning potential and career growth opportunities, amazing product, great people! Can't imagine ever working anywhere else!

Cons

Have to be willing to put in the hard work to experience all the many benefits Paycom has to offer. The only people I know that aren't happy here are not applying themselves and thus not seeing the success that's inevitable with a positive attitude and hard work.

Be more open to change. Such a fast growing company sometimes we are focused so much on the sales and operations of our business that we neglect our own issues we could make better through embracing change and new ideas.

New experience every day!

Current Employee - Client Relations Representative
    Current Employee - Client Relations Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is a growing company and there is a lot of room for upward mobility for all Paycom employees, regardless of role. There is a great culture where managers and supervisors really encourage their employees to shine. I feel professionally challenged every day; I can safely say no two days are alike, but that's a great thing. I am constantly on my toes and am viewed as a valuable resource by my clients and colleagues alike.

Cons

I would say the only thing I would change specifically about working for Paycom is I do wish the vacation policy allowed for some more time off.

Advice to management is to keep it up! Paycom treats the employees really well and truly listens to them for feedback, which is fantastic.

Professional Sales Career with TONS of Opportunity!!

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Great opportunity to become a true sales professional. Solution Selling, Focus on C-Level, Ongoing training, Great Income.... Everything you would look for in a sales career. Culture = Fun!!

Cons

Requires Dedication, Intelligence, Persistence and Strong Mental Focus on goals. Great opportunity for those who are career minded and are overachievers.

Thank you for all of your dedication to the people at Paycom!!

Paycom Response

Jul 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you value what Paycom is doing to help its employees!

Corporate Sales Recruiter

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycom recruiting team is a family. We work hard together and play hard together. We strive for excellence daily staffing the nation with the best of the best. We had a tough job that is balanced with a supportive management, equally driven team members, and a rewarding compensation plan that reminds you that hard work always pays off!

Cons

You will not work 8 to 5 daily and may have to be more flexible at times to cater to our product ..." people." The great people do not come to us. Sales and cold calling is something you will do on a day to day basis. If you're comfortable with that, you are set !

Increased amount of vacation time could increase productivity of employees and also create a more attractive opportunity to candidates.

management- continue to push us hard and provide us with tools to be successful

Best Career choice I could have made.

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company provides so much incentive, from catered lunches, luncheons sponsored by the company once a month, a weekend getaway at the end of every year, to VERY affordable health insurance. Paycom really looks out for their employee's. The work environment is great and the amount of training that is offered is incomparable. I feel fully equipped to conquer whatever the day might throw at me. Not to mention the base salary is well worth all the hard work.

Cons

The work load is not an easy one, but if you like to keep busy and can stay organized Paycom is most definitely a great place to work and to grow professionally. Some times of the year require more hours at the office, which can be exhausting, but that is just part of any job.

While training has helped me immensely, the required trainings can at times detract from my workload. If every other week I have to attend a required training and I have x amount of projects and calls to make, then I am being set up to get behind. There is a lot of expectation as far as my position goes, which I am capable of meeting. A more clear chain of priorities between personal development and taking care of clients and projects would make balancing these two more manageable.

Rewarding!!

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for over 3 years and I have never once regretted my decision to leave my job and come to Paycom. The money is exceptional, but that is just one perk to the position. This is the first company that I have worked for that truly cared about my growth and development. In my last job, I felt that they only trained me to handle my current job responsibilities. I feel like Paycom is constantly grooming me to eventually run the company. :) We talk a lot about mental management in my office and I believe that is one of the reasons I’ve been able to work through the hard times. Not every day is perfect here, but I wake up every morning excited for the day and I love knowing that I can go as far as I want in this company.

Cons

It is a sales job. You have quotas and expectations are high. Since I started with the company I feel like Paycom continues to hire better and better executives. Competition is high so you need to realize that you might not be a superstar from day one, but I have seen some of my colleagues sell just as much in the first year as other reps in their 4th or 5th year. Working with my last company it was impossible to be in the top 5 your 1st or 2nd or even 3rd year. But here, it’s up to you!

3 years ago I would have said vacation time, but in your 3rd year that is not an issue. The only thing I can think of is more team events where you can bring your family. I love hanging out with my coworkers, but I would love to be able to bring my spouse out to dinner everyonce in a while.