Paycom

Updated December 17, 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place New College Grads

Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started with this company right out of college. I had little experience in the payroll world and they trained me. Not great training at first but it got better over time as it became more of a focus. It was a great company to grow with and watch expand. The work atmosphere is great. You will love the people you work with. The benefits are tough to beat. Free gym, $ Health, $4 catered meals plus fun surprises throughout the year. The pay is good starting out but over time you can make a lot more. I almost doubled my salary in four years. I would recommend working here but just be prepared for the overtime and stress.

Cons

The cons are the work and deadlines are very overwhelming. Depending our your role it can be very stressful and require a lot of overtime. Also Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is tough. Do not plan for extra time with the family.Very long hours and not a lot of time off around this period. However there are peak times of the year when you can expect to work a lot which helps but before I left it felt like it never let up. The work/personal life is a struggle to balance. I would have loved to stay with the company but it was difficult to work so hard and not have any time to really enjoy myself.

Take the bad with the good

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money and they promote within. Base and commission structure better than comparable companies. There are few companies where the cso is so involved. It is amazing that he is able to support trainings and lead calls with reps. Presidents club is top of the line and you could tell they put a lot of work in

Cons

All of the 5star reviews should have been a red flag and notice how the company jumps on to combat every negative comment on here...that is what you can expect from management as well. If there is an issue, it is always you and never an opportunity for them to improve. Vacation and sick time are a joke and there is no flex time or work from home. You will be expected to work on your vacations and sick days as well and it will be kindly suggested as best practice. You won't have time off around holidays at all and you will be expected to work nights and weekends. The majority of your "work" is to be done as they say "on your own time". The job isn't sales. Selling is a small part and setup/transition/training will take up a large part of your week.

Management is filled with superstar sellers who don't necessarily know how to manage and at least mine was obviously promoted too soon I am sure there are some greeat managers as well. A common theme I would say is MICROMANAGEMENT at its finest. You will feel like a 3rd grader most days when you are in the office.Office culture varies greatly. Pay attention in the interview process to the interactions between coworkers and the managers.

Before taking this job think about how much u are really willing to give up for the money. If you can deal with the bs, you could end up very wealthy.

Take feedback from current and past employees in a constructive manner instead of being defensive. Paycom could be a top workplace for sales nationwide. Get managers with real management experience and don't promote just because they made a checklist. Someone who is successful in sales will likely have difficulty in managing without being a control freak. Find people who are willing to overcome not just want the paycheck

Oct 16, 2014Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your review and please know that we take everyone’s feedback to heart. Reviews and constructive criticism are passed onto HR and management. Our employees ... More

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-outstanding learning structure
    -incredible opportunity for substantial income.
    -great focus on personal and professional development.
    -growing leadership structure.
    -positive and motivating c-level executives.
    -incredible growth rate with opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

-a high magnitude of redundant busy work.
    -micromanagement
    -sales cult of clones: one way to sell, and no other. Be prepared to drink the Koolaid.
    -training is tailored to mold the entry level rather than the experienced rep.
    -poor work-life balance. Average hours of 60+ per week with work being brought home and time taken away from personal and family life.
    -rewarding in the economical sense, but not a rewarding career otherwise.
    -young leadership with much to learn and unrealistic expectations.
    -numerous competitors in the industry.

Growing Pains

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Nice corporate facility. Lots of activities

Cons

Micro managed. Lack of internal technical automatiion support, although the IT group is generally pretty strong.

Get ahead of the growth by solidifying the internal support processes.

Have to like Cold Calling

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Paycom as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company spends a ton of money on their training program. They employees are great, and usually like to have fun, as well as, work.

Cons

I had an intern position and I felt like I was ill prepared for the interview. One problem is because the company is focusing on expanding so much, the managers are often ill equipt...

Spend as much time with the managers as you do with the sales people starting off.

Dec 5, 2013Representative

We do promote a work hard, play hard culture and calling prospects falls in the working hard category. Thank you for telling others about the amount of resources we put into our training programs. As ... More

I tried and got fired

Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company was wonderful and I tried very hard, I was there for two months and was barely under my quota. I got very stressed out because I was pushed very hard for my quota after being out of training for a month, once I reached it the quota it was moved up by 50 the next week. The tricky thing was that quota for payroll processors are set by the team leads, not upper management so they differed from team to team which I saw as a bit unfair. I was extremely stressed out because of this and loved my job so I tried very hard and was barely under quota, I talked to my team lead about this and asked if she could work with me which she assured me it would all be alright and that she knew I was working hard. The next day I was called in at the end of the day I was fired due to being to stressed out.

Cons

Getting fired for being to stressed out.

If an employee is working really really hard and you hear one side of a story, before firing them. Ask for their side of the story.

Jul 26, 2013Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Management evaluated and set a standard quota across the board for all payroll processors.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Co-workers
    -You learn a lot

Cons

-It was a very stressful job. Be ready to work extremely hard to keep up.

Not what you expect

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay but not the best

Cons

Did not outline job details accurately

Tell the truth

Just ok

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Good training, lots of learning

Cons

Revolving door, cold calling all day

Retention

Neutral

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Decent pay for people with little experience

Cons

Need better interviewing process for future employees

Neutral