Paycom Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
192 reviews filtered by

unrealistic expectations, stressful environment, immature management

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay can be very rewarding
    You aren't stuck in the office all day
    If you get a good manager you will continue to be motivated if you get a bad manager you will hate monday mornings

Cons

Lack of support - as a sales person you have to set the appointment, close the deal, implement the technology, transition the client, train the client - you basically wear 12 hats
    12 hour workdays in sales most of the time
    They expect you to be a robot
    They treat you like a child unless you are way above quota

Advice to Management

Don't promote people to management solely based on the fact that they were a good sales rep, please ENSURE that they will not be a petty immature brat and play favorites

Jul 26, 2013Representative

Your feedback is appreciated. We do ask our sales executives to help transition and train our clients because we are a customer focused company. As you pointed out, we reward our reps accordingly ... More

From a sales rep point of view...

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent products offered and a fair and reasonable price. Not sure what else I can say for pros.

Cons

Paycom was a crazy place to work. I was one of 18 reps that had three managers in our region, which got trimmed to 3 sales reps. I did well there, but seeing new people working at the desk next to mine every month was getting old. I love all the other cheerleader posts that give 5 stars and say what an awesome place it is to work. They love that Paycom cool aid!

Advice to Management

Good luck

Great product, great compensation, BOILER ROOM in sales

Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a great product that excels in its targeted market. The compensation is very lucrative and the total compensation (salary, commission, benefits, stock options, 401k, President's Club, etc.) is hard to beat. All aspects of the sales role are highly micro-managed. This is not a job for experienced sales professionals. If you are fresh out of college or in your first 1-3 years in the workplace, this is a great company to make great earnings and learn a tremendous amount about professional B2B sales. Warning: the work environment is a pressure cooker. Even when you are over plan you will still feel burdened for not having more deals to bring in. This lends itself to very high turnover. There are very few sales reps that have been with the company more than 2-3 years. Overall, you can make a great living for 1-3 years if you can put up with the stress; not a great place for the development of a long term career.

Cons

Overall pressure cooker in sales. Reps are highly micro-managed and there is very little career trajectory for the vast majority. New reps come in and out on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

The number one reason reps stay at Paycom is the compensation; however there are many other factors to reduce turnover that aren't being explored at all. Focus on developing a better work environment so that your employees feel valued and not like just a YTD number on the leader board.

Benefits and compensation are good but not really a good place to work.

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time

Pros

*Great pay
    *Year-end party
    *Special celebrations (payroll week, monthly luncheon, and holiday celebrations)
    *Promotion opportunities
    *Cheap lunch and health insurance for employee only

Cons

*Long hours at quarter end and year end
    *Heavy work load for some employees while other employees have time to socialize all day
    *Favoritism, management will choose people that they like and those people will get promoted faster and be able to do whatever they want

Management acts like they value their employees but they really only value the employees who they are friends with and employees who make their whole life their job. Vacation and sick time really is not that good compared to other companies and you only get 5 holidays off, New Years is considered the 6th holiday paid but most people usually have to work it. Just like high school, if you are in the popular crowd you are golden and probably love working there, but if you aren't then you can work really hard and not move up or even get fired. You can move up through the different levels of payroll specialist fairly quickly but you have to take tests and if you don't take the tests you get in trouble. Also, anyone can move up to the highest level of payroll specialist as long as they pass the tests, even if they are not the best employee. Management demands that people are clocked in on time but don't seem to care if people go to get coffee or socialize once they are clocked in. Also, the managers are not always there on time themselves.

Advice to Management

Disburse the work more evenly and if someone is overworked then find a way to remove some of their workload or move some of their clients to another specialists. Hire more specialists and lower the client load. Get a suggestion box and actually listen to your employees. Don't punish employees for being a minute late unless you are willing to punish the employees who clock in on time then spend 10 or 20 minutes getting coffee and socializing. Lead by example, if you want the employees to be clocked in at 8 on the dot then be at your desk at that time and make sure the team leaders are too. Employees get resentful when they are punished for being a minute late but see their team leader or surpervisor stroll in a few minutes late. A huge amount of employees in several departments are very unhappy and they are constantly looking for a new job, several of them are waiting to be vested in units or for the company to go public then they plan on leaving.

Outside Sales

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, above average base pay, decent training

Cons

Be prepared to work long hours and get micromanaged. REPORTS REPORTS REPORTS--wasted time preparing these long reports. Manager never had advice--was a good cheerleading when you were doing well, but no constructive criticism or help if you were having a down month.
    Sales reps aren't just required to sell, but see entire transition process through--company spins this as an advantage over competition because there is accountability, but it leaves less time for sales rep to hit quota & are faced with issues only a transition team would be able to answer.
    -They are experiencing major growing pains & are going downhill fast.

Advice to Management

Just because someone is good in sales, doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a good manager--Holly Faurot however truly cares about her employees & is a genuine, great leader

FIRED for background check

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Room for growth, nice co-workers, good commission potential, good product, training was done well, i just don't know about the senior management.

Cons

Got FIRED for failing a background check one week after hire. I had a minor possession of alcohol ticket in college and a marijuana pipe conviction when I was 15 as a juvenile. In CO this is a petty offense. Give me a break HR, these are slap on the wrist crimes. People change from when they are 15. This is not the FBI. Senior management does not care about employees and would not even listen to an explanation. Sorry paycom but you missed out on a good employee. BAD senior management and corporate structure that screw you over for NO reason. Also, interview process is horrible, CANVASSING session??? horrible.

Advice to Management

Care for your employees as individuals not numbers. Look at how people do canvassing session, not just to see they hit 3 appointments or not. Look past the numbers senior management.

Not bad for 21 year olds

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Nice office, people are mostly friendly. The benefit package for single people without children is very nice.

Cons

The pay is minimal for college graduates. One can make more money at any retail store without a degree.

Advice to Management

Spend less money on snacks, and more money on employees.

9. Client Relations Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growing quickly. High advancement and earning potential. Nice campus. Great benefits. Most of their payroll and HRIS offerings are actually great products.

Cons

High pressure on everyone, not just sales which is to be expected. Clunky internal processes. Lack of equity in distribution of accounts.

Advice to Management

If you believe in a salesperson's abilities, let them know it. Then show them how they can be successful, rather than "correcting" with write-ups. Standardize base pays for positions and be consistent

Apr 10, 2015Representative

Employee engagement and culture are very important to us as an organization. We celebrate both personal and professional wins for all co-workers, but only when they are done in an ethical and ... More

Good Company

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

lunch, activities, teams, training, good people.

Cons

too many clients, vacation and black out periods

Advice to Management

paycom specialist need less clients. It is silly to think a company could introduce 10 new products and keep the client count the same. Go strictly by revenue.

Mar 20, 2015Representative

Your feedback has been sent to members of our senior leadership team. As you may be aware, our vacation policy was recently lengthened. We hope you enjoy your additional personal days. We appreciate ... More

Lots of Pros, with still time to fix a key role in the company.

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Growth
    The Product Keeps Getting Better
    Compensation (Once you make Executive Sales Rep)
    Presidents Club

Cons

Regional "Manager(s)". I have never seen a role that is further removed from front line employees, yet has a great deal of influence on front line employees futures at Paycom whether it involve promotions, disciplinary actions for performance, etc etc. I can't and will not speak for all Regional Managers but from my experience they show up once every 2 months and could not be further removed from the business during the visit. They will attempt to add valuable insight into "deals in the pipeline" but when your a month or two behind on the details of how the deal has been worked, how can you? Don't take us off course without first being on course. They will be there for the occasional 1 on 1 which is more of a developmental tool for the Sales Manager which is okay.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the role of the Regional Managers and evaluate those in the role. Given the companies size, each one has a handful of direct reports, call it 7 Sales Managers, but their success is heavily invested into the Sales Representatives. Their goals are met when we meet ours. Pick up the phone and give the 35 sales reps a call or e-mail once in a while. It may end up making the "visits" more impactful and results even greater. After all, they account for roughly 20% of the companies sales success. Are they getting the most out of that 20% or just along for the ride?

Mar 10, 2015Representative

We appreciate the feedback and have sent this onto members of our senior leadership team. One of the reasons we have experienced so much success is because of wonderful feedback from employees, like ... More