Paycom Reviews

192 reviews filtered by

Moving on up

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many things to like about Paycom. A few I can think of are:

-Each position has a defined track of development. You're never left with a question of when your next raise is coming- it is all laid out for you. Advancement is based on productivity, not seniority.
    -Great benefits. Employees pay $1 for health insurance. If you have a family, they have tiered options from which to choose your health benefits to make it more affordable.
    -Fun activities! We have a yearly fall festival to the pumpkin patch, Santa comes to corporate, and National Payroll Week is a blast!
    - Paycom also generously gives to the community. I won't work for a company that won't give.

Cons

Holidays are our busiest time. Being a customer focused organization, we have to make sure we are here for our customers. That means little time off at the end of the year. Most employees are able to earn overtime to get additional money during that time though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to look at benefits and vacation.

Great company to work for in certain positions

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: $1 dollar health care
    miscellaneous pros: Gym, boot camp classes during lunch, zumba classes after work, .25 cent soda, $4 dollar catered lunches, Paycom prom, free lunches once a month, Training classes, Free Paycom shirts
    The overall environment is very friendly and professional
    They do value your honest feedback and opinions and try to improve, by sending out surveys every so often on the company.

Cons

For any of the admin positions the pay is horrible. Turn over rate is high for that position because of the pay and the opportunity for advancement is poor. 4% percent raises a year. When others get quarterly bonuses, raises, special incentives and recognitions. Over worked and under paid for that position and certain departments will not allow you to transfer to another. Department require lots of over time, Coming into work early, working through lunch and staying after 5pm
    PTO and family/work life is hard to balance your first year. Time is only accrued each pay period
    Young newly graduated employees, sometimes office drama and inappropriate things going on

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for some positions and recognize them more for all of their hard work.

Might as well call this place PayCon.

Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees steal sales from one another.

Cons

You're promised high pay, but you don't get it.

Advice to Management

You need new staff.

Jan 14, 2015Representative

We are sorry to hear you’re less than pleased. Our sales organization has protected territories and we are concerned to hear of your experience. In order to ensure this doesn’t happen, we encourage ... More

Amazing company

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. I truly drive to work every morning with a smile on my face. The work you do here truly makes a difference no matter what department you are in and that is truly a rewarding feeling. The company is always thinking of ways to say thank you to employees and you can tell that it is appreciated... The atmosphere and culture is very positive.

Cons

During certain times of the year, long hours may be required. If you are not willing to put in the work needed during these periods, look elsewhere. It is worth it though!

Advice to Management

Continue developing leaders from within and promoting personal and professional growth. Keep it up!

Dec 5, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review of Paycom! Developing leaders from all levels within our organization is, and will continue to be, a big part of our organization. In fact, we developing additional ... More

Best job in 20 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my two decade career, I have been with Paycom for only a little more than a year but I can honestly say that among my many jobs, it's the most secure, the most rewarding and the most fun. Corporations are not always a good fit for my creative personality, but this has proven to be the exception.

In previous jobs, one of the worst things was dealing with toxic co-workers. Here they are not tolerated -- if they are hired at all they aren't kept around. In other words a friendly atmosphere of mutual respect is something I can look forward to each and every day. The diversity of workers is surprising for such a red state but something to be proud of 100%. While I came in with enough experience to bypass the entry-level positions, opportunities for advancement still exist for me and that's rare for so few OKC corporations.

Training is thorough, ongoing, and covers more topics beyond just stuff we need to know for our jobs. Work-life balance definitely exists and is encouraged. The perks are terrific from $1 health insurance to $4 catered lunches daily.

Cons

The only real disappointment I had upon joining Paycom is the same more than a year later --- vacation time. There is not enough of it that first year compared to other companies, and if you like to take your vacation days in large chunks the accrual system can work against you depending upon when you start in the year. That changes upon your 1year anniversary, but the accrual system is still there.

Advice to Management

The vacation time issue should be addressed. At a company meeting about a year ago one of the VP's said it was being looked at...but no announcement has been made since.

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Paycom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.

It's ok

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing so I am sure there is opportunity for growth if you can get ahead of the 100 people more tenured in front of you.

Cons

Work-Life Balance: this company believe in burning you out quickly. If you can make through a year (specifically the end of the year) you can work harder and get ready for the end of the next year. the company is understaffed and underpaid for anyone lower than a supervisor level.

Advice to Management

Promote more people who deserve it and quit playing large corp politics mixed with small family politics of hiring friends of the bosses.

Dec 5, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear you were not pleased during your time at Paycom. As one of the nation's fastest-growing companies, we are always looking for ways to improve and continue to look for talented ... More

Worst job I've ever had from the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom

Pros

the pay plan was fairly aggressive, but still not proportional to the work involved. They don't require any payroll related experience from their employees, which is good for people that need jobs, but not very good for their clients.

Cons

Working at paycom was worst than working at restaurants growing up. their leadership team has no idea what's involved half of the companies positions, or the kind of stress that's pushed onto the payroll specialist. I was working there for two years under the most incompetent manager I could imagine. Paycom only promotes from within for most positions, so most of their management team has no experience outside of the company. adding this to their high turnover, most payroll specialist have only worked for the company for less than two years. the clients are trusting kids that have barely gotten out of college with a sociology degree, to make important tax adjustments for their company.

while working there as a payroll specialist, I was never properly shown how to validate taxes at the end of each quarter. because of this, my clients had huge tax issues each quarter that they were completely unaware of. The system doesn't keep track of taxes correctly for several reasons, so taxes needed to be manually adjusted for individual employees from about 20% of my clients each quarter end. Every time I had asked for help in any circumstance, I was refereed to a "senior specialist" on my team. The senior specialist have worked for the company for at least a year and are under more stress than the entire team since they have up to 150 individual clients, and are working on their own issues each day. our senior didn't have the time, tact, or desire to adequately walk me through the process.

while initially in appears that there is a lot of potential to move up in the company, there isn't really enough growth to have a likely chance of being promoted. while working there, I saw far more employees get fired over minor mistakes, than to see employees get promoted.

the computer system frequently changes with aesthetic updates, which do nothing to fix the abundant problems and glitches that frequently come up. they have hundreds of known glitches that never see any progress, while the programmers instead direct their attention at color schemes.

while paycom does have training programs for their payroll specialist, they are extremely minimal. since the computer system changes so often, training is a constant thing. the specialist don't get much of a chance to experience the new system before an update happens, so when the clients call in with all of the new questions, as a specialist you'll have to research everything on your own. the team leaders who are over the specialist don't deal directly with the actual computer system once their promoted, and usually aren't able to keep informed of the constant system changes. as a specialist, you have no one to ask for help from when clients come up with an issue your unfamiliar with. If you ask around to the other specialist, you get different answers from each of them.

through my training some of the focuses were " never let a client know how little experience you have" , " never let your clients know how many clients you actually have", and my personal favorite, " always have the clients fix their own problems, even if you could help them significantly" . there were several occasions that came up with that last topic. For the two years that I worked there, I was only allowed to work overtime through Christmas and new years. no specialist are allowed to take any days off for all of December since the w2's are needing to be filed. I never had enough time to help my clients solve their issues. when I tried to, I was told that I was wasting time, and needed to focus on other things.

In the end, my manager overloaded me with work and through constant meetings pulling me away from all of the workload I was given, I had far too much stress to continue employment there. The health insurance was nice. the cafeteria only served salads 90% of the time. while I was originally told that my focus was the clients and to make their experience better, I was never equipped to do that, and constantly told otherwise by my direct manager. this was the worst job that I've ever taken, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. I hope to never encounter the same amount of stress that I was given through that two years of employment. I was physically sick with anxiety several times through that period.

Advice to Management

let the specialist make request for updating things in the system and encourage them to make these requests.

Dec 30, 2014Representative

We’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t positive. Your feedback is important and has been passed on to our leadership team. We want to take a minute to address a few of your ... More

If you want a career Paycom is the best.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Promotes from within, competitive salary levels, excellent training team that provides continued education for employees, competitive benefit packages, and a upbeat and "fun" culture to be a part of.

Cons

We only hire the best so the interview process is intense. To become a Paycom employee is a badge of honor.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people, they are the future of the company.

Nov 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience at Paycom! You are right on the interview process as Glassdoor ranked Paycom one the Top 25 Most Difficult Companies to Interview!

Great place to work for Personal, financial, and Professional Growth!

Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Paycom is that the Leadership team is completely committed to developing its employees. not only at work, but there are training topics that cover Personal growth, Leadership, Professional Growth, and how to manage difficult situations, which we ALL face in our lives.

Cons

This job can be challenging, however, if you like to grow, this is where you NEED to be. If you want to exceed your expectations and flourish, this is where you NEED to be. In business, we are either declining, or growing. Of course, the better end of this is to grow and with that comes Growing Pains!

Advice to Management

Keep driving and encourage people. Keep the culture as Building people up, and not tear them down. Continue to be slow to punish, but Quick to reward. Empower, Motivate, Inspire, Serve, and keep Growing.