Paycom

Updated January 21, 2015
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Just ok

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Good training, lots of learning

Cons

Revolving door, cold calling all day

Retention

Neutral

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Decent pay for people with little experience

Cons

Need better interviewing process for future employees

Neutral

Churn & Burn

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Fair Commissions, Excellent benefits, definite ability to move up into management, lots of incentives like President's club trips etc.,

Cons

Young, unknowledgable management, growing pains, ridiculous amount of cold calling and burned territories, lots and lots and lots of turnover despite what they tell you in the ridiculous 5 step interview process

Quit promoting people so quickly! They might be great at sales, and horrid at leadership... it only leads to their getting fired and their team getting screwed.

It's not a perfect company, but it is working towards it

Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I am going to start out by saying the Transition Specialist Role at Paycom is not an easy one. That being said, since I started a year and a half ago I have seen nothing but vast improvements in our process/job tasks, and department.

Compensation: Since I started here, the compensation changed for the better 2 times. First, one to two months in, they raised the compensation after processing your quota by $5k. Then at the end of 2013, they increased the starting base salary by $6k. In a little over a year I have hit two quotas resulting in a 2 base increases plus commissions around $2-3k per month. This is a busier office, but it is not out of the ordinary by any means. Plus there is a car allowance as you will drive a good amount at this job.

Process: I would have to say the best thing about this company is managements ability to listen to feedback. Being a relatively new department, and one that not many other payroll companies have, we did not have a lot of guidelines to start out. Our management team has listened to our feedback in many areas to make our jobs easier to do. That being said, there is still a lot of room for improvement, which I will discuss below, but it definitely is appreciated to see your concerns being handled.

Department: As I said, our department is always changing, and in my experience it has been for the better. When I started there were two regional managers, so outside of hitting your quotas for base bumps, the job growth potential seemed kind of bleak. At the end of 2013 they promoted 5 or 6 additional people from our department and divided the company's offices into regions. This gave me hope that they will continue to grow this program, and even though my future might not be outlined currently, there is a good chance that I can grow into a role that may not even exist at the moment. We have also worked very hard to get the office balance back in check and work with the sales reps, and not for them as it seemed was the norm.

This may all seem happy and scripted but despite my great respect for this company and the people running it, there were definitely sometimes that I was not this content in my role and had thoughts of leaving.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: During the busy times of the year, it can get kind of crazy. It was not uncommon for me to be answering emails late at night, working on projects way past 5, being on site with a client past hours, or driving home or to a client after or before work started. It is not required, but at the time, I felt it was the only way that I would be able to complete my job and keep projects on track. I think the hiring of the many more TSRs will help this greatly, I think we have almost tripled the amount since I started. It is always going to be a stressful job, but the workload on top of it was at some points unmanageable. This being said, I did have support from my regional manager which is probably one of the main reasons I am still working at this company.

PTO/Sick: Pretty much every review will have this topic in the cons section. Do I wish we had more PTO or Sick, absolutely. Coming out of college it is a stark difference in free time. I wish I could take a long vacation, but long weekends are it for the most part. I will say that I work with a lot of companies in the transitions, and our policies are right about on par with most businesses. Yes, other companies offer great PTO plans, but often at the risk of another benefit. I wish it was better, but I cannot say it is worse than the standard policy

Keep taking feedback, we are the experts on our role and you have been doing a great job at making it a role we want to work in. I think we have a truly passionate management team and they are growing this into a company that everyone will want to be a part of. I am glad I got in when I did.

Good but a little too busy

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Close knit type of company

Cons

Only close knit if you are in sales

My experience was very pleasant.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom offers great benefits to their employees.

Cons

Paycom has a ranking system with their employees.

They shouldn't rank their employees and should treat them more equally.

Collaborative Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom is a busy, fast paced environment. There is no shortage of work and the team I work with are there to help with anything I need. I have worked for a couple large companies such as Paycom and they have all had their challenges but here I have found that everyone is willing to support each other. If you need help all you have to do is ask. $1 insurance, $4 lunches, free gym are some nice perks too.

Cons

IT has this place locked down. I understand the rational behind it, it just makes getting some things done a little harder. Other than that it's a great place to work.

Paycom Response

Oct 16, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review! We handle sensitive information which, as you noted, is why our IT security is very thorough. We appreciate your review and hope you have continued success at Paycom.

Awesome place to work! Best decision I ever made to come and work here

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training for new hires is phenomenal. I learned more in my four weeks of training than in some of my business classes in college. They really make sure you are prepared and ready to be on your own out in the field once you finish training. The company culture is great as well. I have a ton of fun at work everyday and it is a very positive environment. Also the pay is great too. You are 100% in control of how much money you want to make and how fast you want to get there.

Cons

It's not your typical 9-5 job. Be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week especially if you are just starting off, however it is definitely worth the time.

Keep doing what you're doing

Great environment!!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are great people working here! There are many benefits to working at Paycom. They provide $1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions.

Cons

The pay for my position is a bit low for the amount of stress the work causes. They have black out periods every quarter and year end. This job requires a lot of overtime.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We work very hard for the success we have but the reward is there waiting on the other side. The growth within the company is there, you just need to decide if it's something your willing to work for!

Cons

Sales is demanding and sometimes you need a couple extra days to unwind and be with your family, friends, ect. So vacation days is something I think should be looked into.

Vacation time