Paycom

www.paycom.com

Have to like Cold Calling

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Paycom as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company spends a ton of money on their training program. They employees are great, and usually like to have fun, as well as, work.

Cons

I had an intern position and I felt like I was ill prepared for the interview. One problem is because the company is focusing on expanding so much, the managers are often ill equipt...

Spend as much time with the managers as you do with the sales people starting off.

Paycom Response

Dec 5, 2013Representative

We do promote a work hard, play hard culture and calling prospects falls in the working hard category. Thank you for telling others about the amount of resources we put into our training programs. As ... More

I tried and got fired

Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company was wonderful and I tried very hard, I was there for two months and was barely under my quota. I got very stressed out because I was pushed very hard for my quota after being out of training for a month, once I reached it the quota it was moved up by 50 the next week. The tricky thing was that quota for payroll processors are set by the team leads, not upper management so they differed from team to team which I saw as a bit unfair. I was extremely stressed out because of this and loved my job so I tried very hard and was barely under quota, I talked to my team lead about this and asked if she could work with me which she assured me it would all be alright and that she knew I was working hard. The next day I was called in at the end of the day I was fired due to being to stressed out.

Cons

Getting fired for being to stressed out.

If an employee is working really really hard and you hear one side of a story, before firing them. Ask for their side of the story.

Paycom Response

Jul 26, 2013Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Management evaluated and set a standard quota across the board for all payroll processors.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Co-workers
    -You learn a lot

Cons

-It was a very stressful job. Be ready to work extremely hard to keep up.

Not what you expect

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay but not the best

Cons

Did not outline job details accurately

Tell the truth

Just ok

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Good training, lots of learning

Cons

Revolving door, cold calling all day

Retention

Neutral

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Decent pay for people with little experience

Cons

Need better interviewing process for future employees

Neutral

Churn & Burn

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Paycom

Pros

Fair Commissions, Excellent benefits, definite ability to move up into management, lots of incentives like President's club trips etc.,

Cons

Young, unknowledgable management, growing pains, ridiculous amount of cold calling and burned territories, lots and lots and lots of turnover despite what they tell you in the ridiculous 5 step interview process

Quit promoting people so quickly! They might be great at sales, and horrid at leadership... it only leads to their getting fired and their team getting screwed.

It's not a perfect company, but it is working towards it

Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I am going to start out by saying the Transition Specialist Role at Paycom is not an easy one. That being said, since I started a year and a half ago I have seen nothing but vast improvements in our process/job tasks, and department.

Compensation: Since I started here, the compensation changed for the better 2 times. First, one to two months in, they raised the compensation after processing your quota by $5k. Then at the end of 2013, they increased the starting base salary by $6k. In a little over a year I have hit two quotas resulting in a 2 base increases plus commissions around $2-3k per month. This is a busier office, but it is not out of the ordinary by any means. Plus there is a car allowance as you will drive a good amount at this job.

Process: I would have to say the best thing about this company is managements ability to listen to feedback. Being a relatively new department, and one that not many other payroll companies have, we did not have a lot of guidelines to start out. Our management team has listened to our feedback in many areas to make our jobs easier to do. That being said, there is still a lot of room for improvement, which I will discuss below, but it definitely is appreciated to see your concerns being handled.

Department: As I said, our department is always changing, and in my experience it has been for the better. When I started there were two regional managers, so outside of hitting your quotas for base bumps, the job growth potential seemed kind of bleak. At the end of 2013 they promoted 5 or 6 additional people from our department and divided the company's offices into regions. This gave me hope that they will continue to grow this program, and even though my future might not be outlined currently, there is a good chance that I can grow into a role that may not even exist at the moment. We have also worked very hard to get the office balance back in check and work with the sales reps, and not for them as it seemed was the norm.

This may all seem happy and scripted but despite my great respect for this company and the people running it, there were definitely sometimes that I was not this content in my role and had thoughts of leaving.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: During the busy times of the year, it can get kind of crazy. It was not uncommon for me to be answering emails late at night, working on projects way past 5, being on site with a client past hours, or driving home or to a client after or before work started. It is not required, but at the time, I felt it was the only way that I would be able to complete my job and keep projects on track. I think the hiring of the many more TSRs will help this greatly, I think we have almost tripled the amount since I started. It is always going to be a stressful job, but the workload on top of it was at some points unmanageable. This being said, I did have support from my regional manager which is probably one of the main reasons I am still working at this company.

PTO/Sick: Pretty much every review will have this topic in the cons section. Do I wish we had more PTO or Sick, absolutely. Coming out of college it is a stark difference in free time. I wish I could take a long vacation, but long weekends are it for the most part. I will say that I work with a lot of companies in the transitions, and our policies are right about on par with most businesses. Yes, other companies offer great PTO plans, but often at the risk of another benefit. I wish it was better, but I cannot say it is worse than the standard policy

Keep taking feedback, we are the experts on our role and you have been doing a great job at making it a role we want to work in. I think we have a truly passionate management team and they are growing this into a company that everyone will want to be a part of. I am glad I got in when I did.

Good but a little too busy

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Close knit type of company

Cons

Only close knit if you are in sales

My experience was very pleasant.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom offers great benefits to their employees.

Cons

Paycom has a ranking system with their employees.

They shouldn't rank their employees and should treat them more equally.