Paycor Reviews

Updated March 9, 2015
83 reviews filtered by
3.7
Robert Coughlin

Pros
  • The pay is good, people are great, and I love the direction the company is going (in 7 reviews)

• It is a great place to learn about what you should really want from a career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is often poor (in 8 reviews)

• The sales staff has relatively high turnover (although it appears on par with industry standards) (in 4 reviews)

1. "Never a doubt that this has been a life impacting career choice"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Paycor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture of service, innovation, and fun. Investments in industry leading technology & industry leading people continue to grow and are easy to see. Income opportunity for sales is without a peer in the industry.
    Most companies pay lip service to guiding principles. At Paycor they are embedded in their compass and serve as the main reference for all decision making

Cons

With the growth of the company, it is incredibly fast paced and not for everyone. If you want to be in a windowless office doing the same mind-numbing task every day, this is not the place for you

None, they consistently ask and listen on how they can serve clients and associates better

My personal experience was an environment with poor morale, micromanagement, excessive hours and inept leadership.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paycor (more than a year)

Pros

There are and were really good people within the company. Pay was good but benefits are mediocre at best.

Cons

There is high turnover and high stress across the company. Management does not honor commitments and simply says whatever is necessary to pacify employees on a day-to-day basis. CYA documentation is a necessity.

The leadership team manages by oppression. The staff complain amongst themselves but will not escalate for fear of losing their jobs. Most who are terminated have no idea that their position is in jeopardy until they are walked out of the door, which happens pretty frequently.

Don’t fool yourself -- I read other negative reviews prior to joining the company but thought that with a positive work ethic and a sparkling track record in my career, I would have nothing to fear so long as I did my job, worked hard and met my deadlines. That was not the case. It is a cultural standard at Paycor to cast blame rather than take accountability, and new members of the team make the perfect scapegoats. Employees who do have some tenure are particularly unhelpful out of concern for their own job security, so don't expect a thorough ramp-up or a lifeline.

This is not simply a company experiencing growth pains. This is a company that treats full-time hires as temporary contractors. Marching orders are myopic: leadership specifies exact minutiae and will not alter course for a change in strategy, driving employees to deliver often ineffective results. Don’t be tempted to rock the boat; do exactly as you are instructed or you won’t make it there for long. Efficiency recommendations are unwelcome, as are constructive critiques to process.

Ironically, being a Payroll/HR company, Paycor proliferates a social media stance on employee engagement yet follows none of it. The actual product is flashy but functionally lacking, resulting in poor customer satisfaction and low sales increases. Many processes are manual, behind the scenes, carried out by customer service reps in an area suffering high turnover and short tenure. The current strategy in place at Paycor will not sustain growth, and will continue to have a negative impact on employees. I would not recommend this company at any level.

You deliver a lot of articles on social media focused at retaining talent. I suggest you read those.

Paycor Response

Mar 16, 2015CHRO

Thank you for offering your perspective. Our business is about relationships - with clients, with partners, and with Associates. Feedback matters to us. We try to create opportunities for Associates ... More

Hopeful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Paycor

Pros

Peers all work well together, company as a whole has great goals & stability just a rocky road getting there.

Cons

Poor training, management is rarely available due to always being in meetings, little faith in the internal career path

5. Paycor is an amazing place to work with an incredible offering to clients

I have been working at Paycor

Pros

This is an amazing company. The Leadership truly embraces "Do the right thing" for employees, as well as, clients.
    You feel important and your contributions never go unnoticed.

The product and value for prospective clients is industry leading which is proven through the high client retention rates

Cons

I have not had a bad experience

6. Good place to work where you are treated like a grown-up

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Paycor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paycor is an ambitious company that is investing heavily in technology and people. A true SaaS organization that can quickly respond to market demands and legislation that impacts our customers. Collaboration between offices is some of the best I've been exposed too. There are plenty of fresh ideas that come to you and your ideas matter from day one.

Cons

Satellite sales offices don't have the same name recognition or client base that the mid-west "hub" does. It can make ramp time a little longer.

Keep investing in channels and product. It makes all the difference.

Sad

Current Employee - IT Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - IT Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The projects, people, pay, and environment are great. Easy to get to. Flexible hours.

Cons

IT leadership is a joke. They do nothing but get in the way and slow us down. Management trusts no one.

This company attracted the best talent in the region and now they are losing them. Every other week, an exceptional employee leaves the company. There is no future for talent at Paycor.

Take a hard look at your IT managers. Some are great, others are incompetent, fear mongering, yes-men who have no ability to nurture talent or protect their team from outside pressure. Those who fall short, need to be let go.

Paycor Response

Feb 19, 2015CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Paycor's product development organization is in a highly competitive space - HR technology. It requires that we have a strong orientation to clients and ... More

8. The right time to be here

Current Employee - Major Market Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Market Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paycor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Heavy investment in Technology that shows/does very well for our customers. You are attacking the competition with the best technology and it helps build confidence and win you deals. There's a very heavy technology spend here and the products and services improve every quarter.
    Company can change course quickly and if there's a problem it's addressed. It's cliché but it's a fast changing environment.
    Great comp plan, easily 20-40% above ADP and Paychex
    Employees get stock options ( a lot of them )
    Local leadership is really involved and has great industry and Paycor history, they'll help you win deals

Cons

The office in Downers Grove needs a update, glad I'm not there a ton but it's outside sales so I guess it's not that important.
    Name recognition isn't as good as some of the competitors

Continue to hire good people and support them.

9. Family feel

Current Employee - Major Market Payroll Consultant in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Major Market Payroll Consultant in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Paycor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Take care of employees, family feel. Good manager, relatable CEO.

Cons

Training falls flat. Easy to get overwhelmed if you're not used to fast pace.

10. Paycor is a great company if you can handle a fast paced environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Paycor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Things are constantly changing so that can be tough but it keeps things interesting too. Opportunities for movement within the company.

Cons

The pay could be better, some of the changes aren't well thought out it seems, work/life balance can get really out of whack sometimes.

11. Love it!

I have been working at Paycor

Pros

I love what we do at Paycor...giving the best experience to our clients!!
    The people are great, the atmosphere is great!

Cons

I have been here for a while, and I honestly can't think of anything negative to say about Paycor.