Paycor Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.4

Robert Coughlin

Pros
  • It is a great place to learn about what you should really want from a career (in 5 reviews)

• This is a fast-paced, growing company, and I truly enjoy working here (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I still have an acceptable work-life balance, though, despite those things (in 5 reviews)

• The sales staff has relatively high turnover (although it appears on par with industry standards) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing, Fast-Paced Company with Strong Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Entrepreneurial environment let's you make a bigger impact
    - Culture is great, the people here are wonderful
    - Making huge investment in technology, huge growth resulting
    - Great industry, HR & Payroll software is a great growth industry with lot's of potential
    - Product are improving drastically
    - Management is easily accessible
    - New building is outstanding
    - High energy level environment

Cons

- Fast-paced environment is great. Can sometimes be a little exhausting
    - Growth is great, but the change can be overwhelming

Things are overall great. I'd say invest in your people and not just technology to reduce turnover and improve employee productivity. Doing this will improve Paycor's reputation as a top employer and create a group of Paycor evangelists all over the country.

Great company with focus on clients

I have been working at Paycor full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is undergoing a lot of changes with serious adoption of Agile in IT. The newly added IT leaders are promising. Training has been significantly improved for all employees.

Cons

The benefit plans can be expensive.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Management  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Management in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great new facility!
    Flexibility
    Change-oriented
    Fast-paced
    Growing
    Opportunities-such as, projects, programs
    Good leadership

Cons

Promotions/Open positions in certain areas

The leadership team I work with directly is great by being open and honest, make sure all areas of the business are doing the same.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Leadership, Growth Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Pro's of working for Paycor:
      **Cutting edge Technology
      **Award winning Service
      **A Founder that is involved and Cares about his employees
      **Leadership that cares about the company and employees
      **Well respected in the market place
      *We are feared by our competitors :)
      **Great work life family balance

Cons

Cons about working at Paycor:
      **I Love change and growth. If you do not like change and growth do not come to Paycor.

Scott Rudy's leadership is TOP NOTCH! He has surrounded himself with the RIGHT people that have the passion and knowledge to take Paycor to the next level.

Talks a great game, but a lot of smoke and mirrors at work

I worked at Paycor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent, and there are genuinely good people that work there, many of them want to do the right thing.

Cons

The company talks a great game of always put the client and each other first.

The company talks about not being like ADP, Paychex, etc... But it is largely talk. They promote "Employee Engagement" to their prospects, but they don't practice what they preach. It makes it hard to sell when you are supposed to march to that tune but your own company doesn't follow it.

Turnover is higher than average across the board, and client services, implementation and sales has suffered as a result. As people leave, pressure mounts on those still there, and they either burn out, or quit.

They pay sales at start, and in the major market where most deals take 3-6 months to start and bill, you are often waiting half a YEAR to get your commission check. Hard to stay motivated when you close deals and don't see any money for 6-8 months...

The work life balance is often poor. The general unspoken attitude is that you should be thankful to be there, and perhaps when the norm is to hire college interns from Cincinnati, that makes sense. Out in the remote sales offices where you typically hire people from the industry with experience, turnover is higher than 50% in many markets, nearly 100% in some. People that are rock stars at the industry giants, often fail at this company.

The majority of the folks on the development side have no Payroll or Industry experience. They have Paycor experience, which is not the same.

They tout winning the "Stevie Award" multiple times, but any "Award" that allows employees to vote for their own company, multiple times, at the specific and repeated email request of management, isn't an award that has any real meaning in my opinion.

It isn't a horrible company and there are good people there, but they are in many ways putting lipstick on a pig and selling it as a super model and it just isn't true. Give credit where credit is due, they are successful and have a good story to tell, but for the foreseeable future it isn't a great place to work.

They are very good at providing basic payroll, HR and Time services to small companies. Once you go up-market, things get dicey. There are a handful of people in sales that are successful, but they are mostly concentrated in the Mid-West where Paycor has had a major presence for 20+ years. In the emerging markets, it is a rough ride and more often than not the folks don't make it and they just keep churning and burning reps...

There are worse places to work. They do have some wonderful people, but as a company, a lot of it is broken. If you can hang in there long enough and make it to the point that they fix it, it could be a great opportunity. But don't give up a promising career at your current job based on the kool-aid that they feed you during the interview process. Do your homework.

Listen to your employees. Things are broken, and until you actually admit that there is a problem and listen to people and stop taking the easy way our by pointing the finger at people other than yourselves, you will continue to lose quality people and have a harder and harder time hiring new ones.

Aug 15, 2014CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your perspective. Associate engagement is intentional at Paycor. It matters to us. To support our sales professionals, we invest in extensive training, in annual ... More

Great company

Former Employee - Major Markets Account Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Major Markets Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great compensation plans that are in line with performance expectations. The senior sales leadership is very motivating. The amount of marketing and sales support available is very impressive. Paycor is a great place to work.

Cons

Lost in translation: At Paycor - Major Market is really still small businesses. While the value proposition is very strategic, it is still a transactional business. This calls for a higher level of activities and a good number of transactions to be successful.

Watch your messaging around activity metrics. While this is very important in all high transaction sales organizations - if your managers aren't careful with their delivery and amount of focus on this one aspect of the job; then the sales reps will be driven away.

Aug 15, 2014CHRO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. As a growth company, we're purposeful about developing a great product, delivering great service, and building a high-performing Sales organization ... More

Front-End Developers, Stay Away

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people here are genuinely nice people and great to work with. Unfortunately, those people are few and far between. The new building in Cincinnati is also very nice.

Cons

This place is filled with Microsoft shills. Microsoft technology is the only valid solution to all technical problems. Want to use a good JS framework like Angular or Ember? Want to use common front-end tools like grunt, gulp, bower, browserify or something similar? You will not even make it out of your cube before you find out that won't be happening.

Here are a few brief cons about development life at Paycor:

* Micro-management to the extreme. Program managers, application development managers, and high level managers consistently attend SCRUMS and planning sessions and dictate what work and the quantity of work that the team should do.

* Microsoft is the only way. There are countless senior level developers who passionately believe that HTML / JS / CSS are the devil and that we never should have veered from using Silverlight.

* Accountability is non-existent and finger pointing runs rampant. The finger pointing is not even constructive, as it usually manifests itself in the form of a passive aggressive email sent to the entire team and managers.

* Benefits are poor at best. Health care premiums are not cheap and deductibles are very high. It makes me wonder if Paycor contributes anything at all to the premium. Dental and vision are a joke. Bonus structure is also a joke, unless you come in as a very senior level developer. Forget about ever going to another conference / workshop unless you manage to find one in or around Cincinnati.

* Severe lack of talent. Most developers have either been there for 6+ years or less than 2 years. Those that have been there for a long time generally have Paycor as their only professional job experience. Those that have been there for less time generally move on after a couple years. This causes a talent pool that consists of people whose only experience is Paycor, and relatively inexperienced developers with only a year or two of experience. There is a reason that there are no seasoned developers coming to Paycor and spending a significant amount of time here (see above reasons).

Get rid of middle management. All of it. Just start over. These people are halting progress and causing significant turnover. Invest in employees. Pay them well and splurge for good benefits in order to recruit and retain top talent. Get your heads out of Microsoft's butt and start looking at other possible solutions.

Aug 15, 2014CHRO

We take every current and former employee’s feedback seriously. Such input helps us to improve and to become a highly engaged, innovative and effective technology company that takes pride in ... More

Glassdoor is corrupted with fake good reviews because Management in Chicago tells people to do it on a regular basis.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and decent base

Cons

Management in Chicago is in trouble. They are told no pressure to change a failure of many years but then you have VP's telling you to get deals signed before the client can even see the terms. A VP that does not know the business and have no clue what he is doing. I wish I was buddies with the CSO too and got a great paying job with no credibility.

Blow it up and get some leaders that are true leaders. Not just on the outside. I am currently looking hard for another job before I am the next victim. I have above my peers and I am still worried for my job on a daily basis.

Aug 19, 2014CHRO

Thank you for taking time to offer your feedback. At Paycor, we're on a mission to create great products and to build a great organization. One of our hallmarks is considering feedback from our ... More

Senior Leadership Can't Seem To Make Up Their Mind

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Evolving Technology, Great Sales Process, Great New HQ, Stock Options for Field sales, and friendly culture

Cons

Constant change is getting old for most of the sales reps. They continue to take critical revenue away in markets that were foundational to the initial success of this company (small companies) while still massively increasing unrealistic quotas.

Management does a great job of recognizing top performers. However, with that being said, the drastic changes made in the last year is not setting well with the collective group. Most sellers are fed up with the indecisiveness of senior management. Also, if you want to get in field sales, you better have a business degree. If you have anything else, they want nothing to do with you. Consistent club performers from previous jobs are falling flat on their face. I think the company has a chance to turn this around. My advice is go back to the basics that made your people successful

Great things for Chicago

Current Employee - Major Markets Sales Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Major Markets Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paycor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with Paycor for almost four years and I don’t think there has ever been a more exciting time to be here in Chicago. Our new manager brings a ton of industry and selling experience to a talented team with quite a bit of tenure. Also Paycor’s headquarters is investing a lot of resources into Chicago to keep the momentum going!!!
    While competitors are cutting back on what they invest in IT Paycor keeps investing more into your industry leading Technology. All in all it’s a great time to be in Chicago!!!!

Cons

Office space isn't has cutting edge as technology but it works and you aren't in there a whole lot.

Worked for Paycor? Contribute to the Community!