Payless ShoeSource

www.payless.com

Payless ShoeSource Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Paul Jones

Pros
  • Good discount on shoes, benefits were good to include health and life insurance(in 16 reviews)

• flexible schedule, friendly co-workers, acceptable discount,(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management had focused on customer service results in spite of real customer demands(in 32 reviews)

• The associates get paid minimum wage and often have to stay way past their scheduled shifts(in 31 reviews)

Payless management has no direction of where the company should go causing extraordinary inefficiency and time wasting.

Director (Former Employee) Topeka, KS

ProsA lot of good people. If you are on a good team the people are the only reason to come in everyday.

ConsStrategy and direction is a disaster. All they worry about is making a number look good on a spreadsheet and don't care about if it can be achieved. Then they will change the number and want to know why your strategy doesn't make sense with the plan. Extreme frustration below VP level due to no direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance is not an option. There isn't much going on in that building that is effective to run a business. Continuous misses to plan are all that company will see.

Decent experience for a Resume, horrible in any other way.

Key Carrier (Former Employee)

ProsWell, its a very small group of people who work in each store. That makes getting days off, or opens really easy. The discount is pretty generous also, but more if you're a Female over a male. 50% off once a month and 30% any other time. They are open most mall hours which is a benefit if you are not in a mall store. Closed no later than 9p 6 days a week, and by 6p on Sundays.

ConsUgh, where to start? Lets start with the obvious, the pay is horrible (minimum), the hours are rare. No more than 30 for Part time workers, even if you want to work it and they have the hours to give.

One bad seed can ruin the whole bunch in this time of business. And since they have a huge problem hiring(and keeping) associates, they never fire. So, someone can be a horrible person, worker and still get away with it, because the management is afraid to lose a body.

They are a pretty sexist company. The dress code, the discount, even their promotions. They mostly sell to women, so they definitely value their Female employees more (which is why you will hardly see Males working there)

SMILES! - where the hell do I begin with the Smiles program? The customers hate it, they want to shop on their own, they don't want to be bugged. I don't know how many times a week I was told "please let me shop" but, anytime we tried to relay this to the higher ups it fell on deaf ears.

CRM- Again, just like SMILES not ever person who walks through your door wants to give you their phone number, address and email. QUIT pressuring and threatening your employees with this. It makes for a toxic environment. The more you freak out on us about it, the less we begin to care.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so serious about the SMILES program. This may work in the South and areas where people are friendlier. But, it doesn't work in Cities, and the north. The customers don't like to be pressured and you don't pay your employees enough or give a good enough incentive for us to care! You are in the RED in your books because of your failing methods, rising prices and antique sales and promotions.

Wouldn't be surprised if they went under

Store Manager (Current Employee) Howell, NJ

ProsNot much to say here

ConsUpper management disconnected and unresponsive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exhausting and unrewarding

Store Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe benefits were above average for a retail company. Hours for part time associates could be flexible. Fun to see new styles come in.

ConsAlthough the company stresses great customer service, no time was ever allotted to helping customers. Always a huge workload, never enough payroll, and always a time limit.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay yourselves a little less. Open up some payroll for the store associates!

Ehhhhh.

ProsMost of the people you work with are great! Flexible scheduling for school or another job.

ConsThe pay is awful for their expectations and the responsibility they give you. Annual raises are not good either. Hours are very limited as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cheaping out with associates, you would be more likely to keep good help if you paid them reasonably.

A Decent Job

ProsI work with some wonderful people. The hours are decent and flexible. Paid sick, vacation and personal hours for full time associates.

ConsThe pay is on the very low end of the retail scale. As an assistant manager I shouldn't be earning a wage below the poverty level.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover would be sufficiently less if employees were paid a decent wage.

Overbearing Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Manchester, CT

ProsThe hours were good, and if you put in the work you were able to basically make your own schedual with your boss, working up to and around management. Store associates are somewhat subdued as it was a "bottom of the barrel" type of job. But having strong store managers with strong goals made the store succeed.

ConsDistrict management was overbearing. They would be looking for faults in thier employees and looking for turnover, instead of looking for the positives of thier employees and training or coaching to continue to grow. Also not a lot of stability, as mangement had an extreme amount of turnover (3 different DM's in 2 years)

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way you look at this company. Your employees are an asset because they need these jobs. You are asked to do a lot more than normal minimum wage jobs. Respect them for that.

It was a fun job for a while.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Princeton, NJ

ProsIt was a good job where I learned a lot. The Company has excellent training manuals. It was great experience and I felt that I learned much about retail sales.

ConsThe company has gone through a lot of changes at the corporate level and I feel that the fun was taken out of the job. The job became more about numbers and less about working. Hard work is not the problem, but they forgot that shopping should be fun for both the employee and the customer.

Decent for a first job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discounts, not too much to maintain space-wise, days can go by fast if you're good at finding something to do when it's slow. I remember training being easy enough, as long as it wasn't during the rush hour after school let out or during a holiday sale.

ConsIt's typical retail. Cleaning up after messy shoppers, forcing a smile when dealing with difficult, mean, or sneaky ones. And, personally, I didn't like being scheduled to work alone because it was nice to have "back up" during busier times or with those aforementioned customers, especially for safety reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on technology regarding point of sale systems, strive for product that isn't made to fall apart after a short amount of time.

Nothing special, but wasn't bad.

Associate (Former Employee) Jefferson City, MO

ProsShoe discounts! If you like working with minimum people this would be a great job.

ConsYou usually work with one person, so it's very dull. You have to keep yourself and your coworker busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people that do a good job. Make sure that the people that are in charge also are being productive.

Worked for Payless ShoeSource? Contribute to the Community!