Payless ShoeSource Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Paul Jones

Pros
  • Gift certificates and discount on shoes (in 19 reviews)

• I'm a full time student so a flexible schedule works great for me (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This is honestly probably the hardest minimum wage job I have ever had (in 37 reviews)

• Customer service is also affected with not enough coverage (in 34 reviews)

1. Amazing

Former Employee - Store Manager in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Edison, NJ

I worked at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

Amazing company. They pride themselves on developing associates and promoting within. Endless opportunity

Cons

A lot to get done in small amount of time on top of making every customer happy. Lack of payroll

2. Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great management team, always have ways to encorage the Associates to succeed.

Cons

Better training, better pay that can compete with other Retail Stores, more payroll for Staff to complete all requested tasking by the Co.

Advice to Management

Create a more succesful way of promo change and give more payroll... increase the Salaries to ASL and SL...

3. Payless

I worked at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

good pay, weekly check, nice manager, easy to move up

Cons

district manager was scary, could use better training, customers can be jerks

It was a good experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Owasso, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Owasso, OK

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some really wonderful people that made my job fun and wanting to come to work every day.

Cons

I was alone a lot on a shift especially during the daytime. It would be just me, myself, and I on a six-eight hour shift getting all assignments done plus handle customers.

Advice to Management

Base how many people are on a shift with sales and safety.

6. What you expect

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount on shoes, good at scheduling, nice coworkers, hour lunches after 6 hrs of working, 10 min breaks after 4 hr shifts without timing out

Cons

Rude customers, pressure to make day from management, having to redo the rack plans seasonally, so many different prices all the time and sales changing frequently, can't wear jeans to work

Advice to Management

Stop cutting payroll, be more relaxed with the dress code

7. Store leader

Current Employee - Store Leader
    Current Employee - Store Leader

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benifits Pto weekly pay

Cons

Payroll is cut to where you must work off the clock

Advice to Management

Stop cutting payroll, the company wants everything done, including last minute projevts, but don't want to pay anyone for it.

Better than I expected

Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been with the company for 3 1/2 months, but so far it seems less stressful than other retail jobs I've had. I love my job most of the time, especially when customers are friendly and want to chat. My co-workers are great, which definitely helps. I also really like our District Leader. The discount is alright; it's hard to expect/want a bigger discount on shoes that are already pretty cheap. There's opportunities to move up pretty quickly since they like to hire within. I have no previous management experience, but now I will. I'm not sure about other stores, but ours is pretty laid back when it comes to pretty much everything- cell phone usage, break time, etc.

Cons

It gets a bit stressful at times because, like many retail shops, the turnover rate is quick. I wasn't trained in all that well, and in my short time we've gone through multiple ASLs and SLs, and now we'll be getting a different DL. The rack plan changes are sometimes really pointless. There's a lot of paperwork and tracking- numbers are very important and tracked like crazy. There's regular coaching, which can get annoying and repetitive.

Advice to Management

Although you probably started at the bottom and worked your way up and have therefore done our jobs before, don't forget that we're newer to this than you are and that it's unfair to have super high expectations. Be very clear in your instructions.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, even the District Lead. There are strict guidelines for many things, but they are all for legal/safety reasons. Some rules are fairly relaxed, such as meal/break times. If you have a medical condition that requires an extra break or needing to eat ASAP, they are more than willing to accommodate you.

Cons

They track every little score from how much you, personally, make for the store to how many transactions you have versus store traffic while you are greater. If you do not make these scores, you are liable to be let go/fired/coached.

Where did the time go?

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Reading, PA

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVED my coworkers and my store manager. They are the main reason I stayed with Payless for four years.

Cons

Customers don't care about you or your job. They were messy and unfriendly. The stress upper management puts on you is also ridiculous. They will barely give you a raise.

Advice to Management

Not every customer wants to be followed around the store, told about different shoes, complimented, or suggested to. From what I have seen more than half of the customers don't like it.

11. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Denton, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work. Lots of flexibility and each day is different. You learn the product from start to finish as well as no set schedule. Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Mostly have to work weekends and nights since most stores don't close until 9. Sometimes customers are extremely rude and you cannot sit down while on the clock.

Advice to Management

See good associates and promote accordingly. Fight for them, often associates work at locations for years without ever being offered a raise.

RSS Feed </> Embed