Payless ShoeSource

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.3

Paul Jones

Pros
  • 30% discount on shoes, 50% once a month and Payless bucks ( (in 19 reviews)

• I'm a full time student so a flexible schedule works great for me (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • They expect an ridiculous amount of work to get done by one person for minimum wage (in 37 reviews)

• Customer service is also affected with not enough coverage (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People, Good Leadership, Tough Industry

Former Employee - Corporate Leadership Role in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Corporate Leadership Role in Topeka, KS

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at corporate for 10 years. Really enjoyed all the people I worked with, including leadership. Feel I was treated more than fairly. Company is a meritocracy...if you work hard and show results, you will be rewarded. Would recommmend as a great place to work post college. They invested in a great cafeteria and other improvement that made it an even better place to work. Cost is living in Topeka is another plus

Cons

Mature business with growing competition. Company needs to reinvent itself and strategy, but believe they are really beginning to do so. I left for personal reasons, not because I didn't love my job or have confidence in leadership.

Continue to hold firm to strategy, stay focused on core business and don't be to reactive on short term bumps in the road. Get your stores remodeled with at least consistent logo signage to leverage great brand marketing. Drive units of quality product, even at the expense of margin in the short term.

Poorly trained managers and fundamental problems with their hierarchy make working at this place a chore.

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Shoe discounts, Is good for your first job if you are under 20 and female.

Cons

Pay sucks, Hours were bad, Managers were terrible, HR was non-existent, Gender Biased against Men, Co-workers were all under 21 females, No recognition for work, No benefits, Demands too much for Minimum Wage(closing and opening the store), Confusing Hierarchy(Let me explain what I mean. This company is the only retail outlet I have ever worked for where normal associates are promoted to Store Manager randomly for a few hours a day. This creates problems for 3 reasons, 1. You never know who is the person in charge of you at any given hour, 2. The associates are clearly NOT qualified to Lead, 3. If you have a problem with an associate it gives you either the option to demand more of them while you are in the Leader position OR someone else who has a problem with you can do the same. It is called the "Smiles-Leader". I suggest you bring this up to your interviewer before you get hired. It is a horrible system that needs to be trashed immediately.)

Get rid of your Smiles-Leader program. It is unique in the fact that it does NOT work and is the worst hierarchy scheme I have ever had the displeasure of working for. Don't apply here if you are a man who is above the age of 20.

Company doesn't care about employees just making money

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

We get discounts on everything and get done by 8 or 9 every night.

Cons

Short staffed because company doesn't pay enough for the work the associate does. Get sticker working 6 days a week with 12 hour days. Gives sick and personal time but can't use it because there is no one to cover shifts. Employees get yelled by customers for the price of shoes going up.

Pay more to keep associates around and lower prices of shoes for customers.

Forced to bug customers!

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly the only good thing is the discount, which isn't even all that. 30% off everything UNLESS there's a sale (say 15% off with coupon) you only get your associates discount (30%) and can't use the 15% off (to technically get 45%)

Cons

You have to constantly bug customers! They don't understand that sometimes when some one says they're just looking, they really mean they're just looking. You get in trouble if you don't talk enough with the customer and if you talk too much to them as well. System is slooooow, outdated. I currently get 8 hours a week. Assistant manager is rude. Other associates are ok, you learn as you (you won't know how to make a "special order" until one comes up during the 3hours you're scheduled to work. You're left alone for at least an hour all the time, constantly have to stay after 9:15pm to finish cleaning or setting new displays or changing promo stuff and they don't pay you for the extra time!!!! Store closes at 9 and they expect you to clean the whole store, fix shoes again, change promo(at least once every 2 weeks) in 15 mins! This is good for a first job I guess...... Oh and you work whenever they feel like they need you (no set schedule so you can't really keep a second job)

Make a set schedule!!!!

more and more

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good customer service orientation, if you have a good crew the people can be fun

Cons

corporate and management keeps asking more and more, while taking away payroll, and expecting better results.

Not enough payroll

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

I love the job. The product. The people.

Cons

I pretty much run a store by myself. I get a person for some of the day, but I can't ever get task completed. My body hurts trying to get everything done and keep my customers happy. It's impossible.

Put money in your stores payroll so we can get done what is expected.

You should reconsider applying..

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (more than an year)

Pros

First pick of shoes. that's about it.

Cons

Raises are once a year and not even .25, no personal recognition, left alone to do a lot

INDIVIDUALS should be recognized for their personal growth, not "team leaders"/managers. My manager NEVER trained me, ever! And when her "minions" did good, she felt it was a reflection of her good training, yet she never trained any of us... We honestly just got lucky with high UPTS/CONVERSION at our store.

Too much work for little pay.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. You can ask your manager for whatever day you need off. Of course things like you have an appointment, A super important family day or something, or request the schoo days you have.

Cons

Not enough payroll. Only 2 ppl work at the same time and you're responsible for breaking shipment, 100 percent customer service, recovering the crazy mess the customers leave at the same time you are also running register and are responsible for numbers. Numbers that are a whole other stress. The motion sensor counts every little movement such as kids playing at the door or somekne passes by and motion sensor counts it as customer, and it responsible to get like 30% of those "customers", also units per transactions(UPT), every transaction you have to sale at least 2 to 3 items, as in convince the customer, and also you have a total sales quota you have to make per shift. If you don't make this then they cut your hours down to like 12, sometimes even 9. Even if U work your butt off with the other store tasking which you HAVE TO DO. But If u don't make those customer goals they cut ur hours no matter how hard u work.... Sometimes customers just don't wanna purchase :/ Id say this is a good job if ur looking to just get trained and gain experience. It's a good start off job. Other than that PPl quit like crazy... It's too much.

Don't have favorites. Treat all your employees the same.

Great job if you want to work minimum wage for the rest of your life

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I thought i loved my coworkers ( but then later found out they have been talking about me behind my back.)

Relatively easy job, you can get the logistics of the job in less than a week

easy training

good discounts on shoes

Cons

horrible hours, especially if you are new or part time

horrible pay. This labor should pay way more than minimum wage.

We are forced to meet unrealistic goals. Like if our goal is $1500 but we make $1497 then its a "bad day". The associates do not have control over what a customer buys and doesnt buy, we can suggest but that is all.

My store leader basically told us to ask for customer's information instead of asking them WOULD they like to sign up for our rewards program. My store leader has lied to customers and associates on many occasions.

My distract leader came by the store and I was handling customers and cleaning shoes and complained to my manager that I need to clean shoes in the section that they are supposed to go in (clean kids shoes in the kids area, women's in the women's area) and that is what I was doing.

They have unrealistic expectations for just about everything in the store. People do not want $10 socks, people are not going to pay for $70 PAYLESS boots.

The shoe selection is horrible and we have to lie to customers and tell them that the shoes are cute and "on trend"

The day of my interview I even asked if there is any room for promotions or advancement within the company and she basically told me "oh no, i plan on doing this job. I will not let you take my job".

Schedules are never set. You would think it would be easy to just have the same schedule every week, I dont understand why they dont do that.

Associates have no control over what customers buy, actually, management does. People come into the store because of the sale signs that are posted in the windows, that YOU decide. When they get into the store and realize that all the shoes are ugly, overpriced, or sold out, thats a reflection on you(the employer), not us (the associate).

Pay your employees better. Isnt this basic common sense. If you pay your employees better, they're more likely to stay with you and more likely to work harder.

IT IS REALLY SAD THAT WORKING AN HOUR AT PAYLESS, I AM STILL NOT ABLE TO AFFORD ONE PAIR OF SHOES. I LITERALLY HAVE TO WORK ABOUT 4 HOURS JUST TO BUY ONE SHOE IN THE STORE.

I honestly do not see this company staying in business much longer because the sales are not really sales and people know this.

good company to learn how retail works

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

The benefits are great! great insurance plan and discounts too. Now we have 30% off everything for employees.The training is good compared to other retail models.

Cons

turn over is bad and I believe it has to do with the huge workload placed on employees. Sometimes managers had to work overtime to avoid falling behind on task even though overtime is highly discouraged.

helping make employees happy will make for a more productive employee.

Payless ShoeSource Photos

Hiring sign outside a payless show store, inquire within or visit www.careersatpayless.com
Payless Kids
ALL THESE SHOES WERE PRICED WRONG!!!

+ Add Photo