Payless ShoeSource

Profile Unclaimed

more and more

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good customer service orientation, if you have a good crew the people can be fun

Cons

corporate and management keeps asking more and more, while taking away payroll, and expecting better results.

Not the best company to work for

Current Employee - Key Carrier
    Current Employee - Key Carrier

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's easy to move up in this company. The hours are great . You can always ask for days off or switch with someone very easily. Discount 30%

Cons

The pay isn't so great .Managers come and go and most of them sit in the back and do "paper work" . Managers train their staff how to do their jobs so they don't have to lift a finger .

Excellent progression and support

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people that work their make the difference

Cons

Stuck in the past from a technology standpoint

Don't be afraid to be great!

good company to learn how retail works

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

The benefits are great! great insurance plan and discounts too. Now we have 30% off everything for employees.The training is good compared to other retail models.

Cons

turn over is bad and I believe it has to do with the huge workload placed on employees. Sometimes managers had to work overtime to avoid falling behind on task even though overtime is highly discouraged.

helping make employees happy will make for a more productive employee.

Great People, Good Leadership, Tough Industry

Former Employee - Corporate Leadership Role in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Corporate Leadership Role in Topeka, KS

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at corporate for 10 years. Really enjoyed all the people I worked with, including leadership. Feel I was treated more than fairly. Company is a meritocracy...if you work hard and show results, you will be rewarded. Would recommmend as a great place to work post college. They invested in a great cafeteria and other improvement that made it an even better place to work. Cost is living in Topeka is another plus

Cons

Mature business with growing competition. Company needs to reinvent itself and strategy, but believe they are really beginning to do so. I left for personal reasons, not because I didn't love my job or have confidence in leadership.

Continue to hold firm to strategy, stay focused on core business and don't be to reactive on short term bumps in the road. Get your stores remodeled with at least consistent logo signage to leverage great brand marketing. Drive units of quality product, even at the expense of margin in the short term.

Poorly trained managers and fundamental problems with their hierarchy make working at this place a chore.

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Shoe discounts, Is good for your first job if you are under 20 and female.

Cons

Pay sucks, Hours were bad, Managers were terrible, HR was non-existent, Gender Biased against Men, Co-workers were all under 21 females, No recognition for work, No benefits, Demands too much for Minimum Wage(closing and opening the store), Confusing Hierarchy(Let me explain what I mean. This company is the only retail outlet I have ever worked for where normal associates are promoted to Store Manager randomly for a few hours a day. This creates problems for 3 reasons, 1. You never know who is the person in charge of you at any given hour, 2. The associates are clearly NOT qualified to Lead, 3. If you have a problem with an associate it gives you either the option to demand more of them while you are in the Leader position OR someone else who has a problem with you can do the same. It is called the "Smiles-Leader". I suggest you bring this up to your interviewer before you get hired. It is a horrible system that needs to be trashed immediately.)

Get rid of your Smiles-Leader program. It is unique in the fact that it does NOT work and is the worst hierarchy scheme I have ever had the displeasure of working for. Don't apply here if you are a man who is above the age of 20.

Some good stuff, some bad stuff

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than a year)

Pros

When it's slow, it's generally pretty easy. Coworkers are usually pretty nice, and my manager is fairly willing to work with my schedule (I'm a full time college student). It's a good learning experience for retail and first jobs.

Cons

The customers can be very trying, and the employees are generally overworked. There's no set schedule and you can go from working 6 hours a week to 25. There often aren't enough associates in a store as it is. The promos aren't very good; the "sales prices" are expensive, as the original prices are outrageous. Some vinyl boots are $70. The employee discount is, at times, even worse than the coupons for rewards members. And you're expected to sign up anyone who doesn't have a rewards membership.

Lower the prices so that the sales are actual sales. They need to spend some time working in a store so that they know what they need to change. They need to listen to the employees as well.

BORING

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Omaha, NE

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Chatting
    Listening to customers problems (funny) because I played therapist
    Watching people change tags and then fight with me it was amusing
    Other employees
    Job was EASY

Cons

Boring
    9 Hour shifts of "cleaning" shoes
    DEAD end job
    Manager was a emotional wreck
    .... people shop at Payless ....-..
    DSW is wayyyyyy better
    Ugly shoes

Don't complain about internal associate theft if you are stealing! No one was stealing from the store I worked and closed with everyone and the management (one in particular) ALWAYS talked about theft !!!! As ppl are stealing. You need to be more ORGANIZED if you can't handle it you can't do it.

It was ok

I worked at Payless ShoeSource

Pros

I liked to get first dibs on shoes

Cons

I did not like the schedule

Decent Company

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits! Not many retailers have anything close to what Payless offers. If you are willing to actually work, you will move up very quickly in this company. It is a very easy job if you have some type of previous retail experience, can learn fast, are a self-starter and have a decent work ethic.

Cons

There is not enough payroll in this company for what the expectations are.

Upper management needs to work in the field before being handed a position.

Payless ShoeSource Photos

Hiring sign outside a payless show store, inquire within or visit www.careersatpayless.com
Payless Kids
ALL THESE SHOES WERE PRICED WRONG!!!

+ Add Photo