Payless ShoeSource

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.3

Paul Jones

Pros
  • 30% discount on shoes, 50% once a month and Payless bucks ( (in 19 reviews)

• I'm a full time student so a flexible schedule works great for me (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • They expect an ridiculous amount of work to get done by one person for minimum wage (in 37 reviews)

• Customer service is also affected with not enough coverage (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Company

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers depending on where you land.
    Flexible work schedule.

Cons

-If you are a part-time employee you are worth next to nothing.

-No benefits, No chance of promotion, No paid vacation time, and very hard to get a rice no matter how good of a worker you are.

-The constant pressure on keeping numbers up and up is just abusive.

Keep in mind that they way you treat your employee reflects on the service your they give to the customers.

horrible company that appreciates nothing you do

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

full time and salaried employees get alot of personal and vacation time off, nice employee discount of 30 percent which can be used on clearance items

Cons

no payroll so your always alone, the pay raises are horrible, you only get told what ur doing wrong and very rarely told anything positive by management, most managers are not qualified to hold the position and therfore their is alot of pressure on the rest of store team to pick up slack. most managers are too worried about losing their jobs for not having numbers in sales and conversion and making every customer happy than they are about hiring a good staff so employees come and go too often

appreciate the employess more. the journey is a waste of time. good customer service doesnt have to be a bunch of useless steps that can not possibly be done with every customer. promote managers that are qualified,just because their willing doesnt mean their qualified

If you don't care, work here.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job and schedule for going to school. Good discounts.

Cons

Managers don't care about employee growth and development. You work alone a lot, which makes it hard to engage customers and make sure people don't shoplift.

Started out good but got steadily worse.

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good, the people are awesome.

Cons

Tight margin business where cost cutting is constant thing.

Very far in debt meaning they'll cut your hours due to "payroll shortages."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

30% discount off everything including sale items. Customers are sometimes fun to work with. With the right team, it can be a good job.

Cons

Hours often cut. Do not care for well being of associates no matter how much time invested in the company.

Don't push out good employees. Stop hiring only 18 years old because it makes for a horrible work environment. Talk to assistants and part timers more. Usually they'll tell you more of what's "really going on" than the managers will.

Highly fun and highly stressful

Current Employee - Full Time Key Carrier in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Full Time Key Carrier in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers! We are a very close knit group and it helps to work with people that you have a lot of fun with. I just became a full time associate and received a benefits package that was very nice (personal time, sick time, vacation time and healthcare). The schedule is flexible; I'm a full time student so I need to be able to work around my classes. My boss has been very understanding and helpful with my school situation.

Cons

Let's start with tagging. There is a new promo change very often. Tagging takes a day, at least, and we still are expected to work on other tasks. In my store we are alone a lot so we also have to work around customers. The customer journey, or the list of sales actions we are to complete with customers, is extensive. We are to complete these actions while we are alone and working on tasks. It is asking too much. Upper management always has something to complain about. Our UPT's, rewards, DPT's or survey scores are never high enough. If those numbers aren't the issue; shipment isn't done on time, tagging isn't correct or the store is not clean enough. Any praise that is given is handed to managers in the form of a Pinnacle award (a certificate to hang in the back room). I feel as though this is very discouraging and can make one feel as though nothing they do will improve the work place. I will move on to pay. For all of the responsibility (of running the store alone and daily/weekly tasks) we are not paid enough. The raises are not promising either. When I became a key carrier (the ability to open and close the store) I was given a 10 cent raise. I feel as though this was not enough for all of the duties I am now faced with.

Give more payroll to stores, having additional help may speed up the promo change process and boost sales numbers. Give more praise to associates; managers do not always hand these things down. We work very had for you and feel as though there is nothing we can do to please you. My best advice; either lower your expectations or raise your pay.

Figure out what is the real goal and stick with it. Don't just say you will

Former Employee - Store Leader
    Former Employee - Store Leader

I worked at Payless ShoeSource full-time

Pros

Honestly, not a terrible retail experience. The stores are not excessively large or hard to manage and if the entire team is focused during work hours, there is no reason to have to work outside of business hours.

Cons

Corporate has said that the company will have specific goals that are more important than others, but in my experience that has not stopped them from looking at all the other goals that used to be measured on, or that are less important, and criticizing performance based on that.

If you really want the focus to be on a select few metrics, then you're gonna have to really let go of some of the less important ones and communicate to the field leadership that pressure should not be applied to the stores based on those old metrics.

Intent may have been good, but the execution has been spotty.

Okay

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on shoes okay. You meet and work with some nice people.

Cons

Not enough hours or pay to make a living, more of a supplemental income. Some managers are difficult to work with, others okay.

Give more positive attention to your workers, don't just focus on the negative. People reflect what you teach them.

Pretty stressful at times.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Payless ShoeSource part-time

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours, starting pay above minimum wage, somewhat predictable. Thorough training. Great coworkers and store manager.

Cons

Low pay, managers focus on negative, have to travel for training sessions, lots of pressure from superiors.I feel like I'm constantly being picked at.

Please stop always looking at the negative. We understand that there are certain goals we need to meet, but please look at the improvement and effort rather than the number itself. Sometimes certain employee-types under perform because they are over pressured. I have only heard of the sort of pressure that my DM puts on all employees, am I am afraid to meet her in fear of losing my job. Apparently my job is contingent on a training i have to drive over an hour to get to a store i've never been to to take. That is a little too much pressure for a part time worker.

I enjoyed the smaller store and close proximity to customers.

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Lake Elsinore, CA
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Lake Elsinore, CA

I worked at Payless ShoeSource part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store I worked at was a fun place to work. The girls were around my age and we all helped each other out in the store.

Cons

The projections and demands for sales were unrealistic. It's essentially impossible to sell to every customer (i.e. door chime) that walks in the store. Supposedly, every door chime counts against our sales if they do not buy something.

Raises to deserving employees

Payless ShoeSource Photos

Hiring sign outside a payless show store, inquire within or visit www.careersatpayless.com
Payless Kids
ALL THESE SHOES WERE PRICED WRONG!!!

+ Add Photo