Paylocity

Updated November 14, 2014
4.4

Paylocity President & CEO Steve Beauchamp
Steve Beauchamp

Pros
  • We have a great work-life balance, definitely with a work hard play hard mentality (in 15 reviews)

• Great work life balance, and great work from home policy (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Just like with every growing company, their are some growing pains but very balanced overall (in 9 reviews)

• I have nothing bad to say about this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The Perfect Kick-Start Position

Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is probably one of the better companies I will ever work for. Paylocity offers their employee's a myriad of benefits (insurance plans, 401k, stock options, etc...) and insists upon a healthy work-life balance. Also, with the company growing as fast as it is, the opportunities for upward mobility are only increasing.

The position for NSS rep is one that is a perfect kick start to serious career path. I took this job right out of college and gained valuable experience in terms of what corporate (and sales) life entails. Although the actual job is quite singular (dials dials dials) management is increasingly exposing NSS reps to further training to guarantee that their employees are well versed in not only what Paylocity offers, but also in how to properly sell and approach a potential client (or sale). Also, if you happen to struggle with quota, management is supportive and works with you to help you be successful. (They also all have an open door policy and are consistently available.)

After only a 4-5 months on the job, because of what the position entails and the reputation of the company, I was approached by a handful of companies and consequently, have moved on from Paylocity. I would highly recommend this position to recent graduates, seeing how the NSS position gives you opportunities, both in and outside Paylocity, that few other companies can.

Lastly, I have to say that the people you work with are awesome and hilarious. On the worst of days I was still smiling because of who I was surrounded by.

Cons

It's cold calling. The job is monotonous and can be highly frustrating at times.

Keep on keeping on.

Passionate about our software, our people, and our company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paylocity has been the best job I have ever experienced. The company really cares about its employees and the employees in turn care about the software they develop. I love the fact that our CEO sits in on almost every software demo (every two weeks) and gives guidance and feedback on what he sees. Our growth makes it a very fast paced environment and we are always working on solving cool challenges. Developers get a good training budget, and are encouraged to use it! Stock purchase plan is quite generous as well and

Cons

Time off could be more generous but being able to work remote takes some of need of vacation away. Also having a cap on the amount of time you are able to accrue is not the greatest.

Keep staying involved! I love how everyone is passionate about their work! Improve time off policies for newer employees.

Great place to work !

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment, great pay and awesome co workers. Monday - Friday only , no weekends, great work / family balance.

Cons

Needs more hands on in the training class room

Great company and a great opportunity to get started in sales/business world

Current Employee - National Sales Support Representative in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am very happy to be a part of a very fast growing company that can lead to a great career path after spending 12 months on the job. Nothing's promised, you have to earn it. It is an excellent opportunity to build and develop your sales/persuasive communication skills as well have an un-capped commission structure. Daily/weekly contests spice up the job and allow me to earn extra money as well. It is a GREAT culture that I haven't seen anywhere else I have worked and my co-workers are amazing people to be around. More so than anything, for me, the product is unbelievable and I feel like this company is just getting started.

Cons

It can be a stressful job at times and you need to be able to handle rejection. The first two months can be tough but if you work hard, learn the material and put in your time the job becomes much, much easier as you continue as a rep and you have the opportunity to make very good money. If your not a hard worker or competitive and you aren't striving to get to the next level this position isn't for you!

Don't listen to all of the negative comments because they are so far removed from the truth. Sales isn't for everyone and it's pretty evident by their posts, it takes a lot of effort and dedication.

Great Corporate Experience for Entry-Level Candidates

Current Employee - Senior National Sales Support Representative in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was my first corporate job out of college. I had no experience in cold calling and I was given the skills to succeed by my managers, trainers, and co-workers. Working for NSS is awesome because it has a college atmosphere in a corporate setting. I believe anybody who is willing to work hard and do well will succeed with this company. If you do your job (150 dials-a-day and/or 1 appointment) you will be very successful. The more you work the more you get paid! Compensation is great if you are willing to do the work.

I have grown so much in my months here at Paylocity and I believe that I will be a great candidate to move up or at least investigate other options outside of Paylocity. The skills I have gained over talking on the phone can be applied to almost any other job I will apply for from here on out.

One must remember that this is an entry-level job. Nothing is guaranteed but they give you a shot, that is all I ask for out of any employer. I believe upper management will have my back once I begin to start looking for other opportunities in the future.

To anybody applying or considering this position you must have 3 qualties: Heart, Hustle, and Muscle. Believe in what you are selling, work your tail off, and set those appointments and good things will follow!

Cons

The real challenge is an obvious one: You are cold calling businesses. Talking with CFO, Controllers, HR People can be difficult and discouraging at time. Some days are better than others, that's sales.

Management is honest and very straight forward. Since day 1 I have been told that if I am successful then I will have an OPPORTUNITY to move forward with the company. I believe this to be an honest statement.

My only advice to management is to continue to keep a youthful zest in the office. This job is tough. So keeping it fun and relaxed is the best way to keep employees happy and motivated.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The casual work environment and offsite meetings are pretty cool. And it's Monday thru Friday, no weekends!

Cons

It is an extremely stressful job and there is not a lot of support.

The training is a basic overview of the system and the actual payroll questions are not easy. I feel like there should more in depth training or they should look for people that have a degree or extensive experience in payroll. We're dealing with people's payrolls and most of the time we're just guessing as to what should be done. You can ask 3 different people the same question and get 3 different answers.

The majority of the clients were over promised during the sales step and there are many problems coming out of implementation. The account managers pay for those two things and clients love to escalate all the way up to the Steve's. That is not a good feeling when you are doing everything you can to help.

You have an assigned client list and one account manager can have over 200 clients. The majority of clients prefer email, but you are required to stay available in the phone queue 80% of the time. it is impossible to reach that number while trying to keep up with the emails. Most items require research and that cannot be done when you are constantly being interrupted by the phone. Project time is assigned, but usually for 30 minutes at a time. That is not enough time when you have an inbox full of issues to be resolved. It's just a matter of time before the escalations start coming in.

You leave every day feeling defeated and stupid.

Staffing needs should have been anticipated better with the rate of growth. There is no reason staffing should be so short. Instead of be proactive, the company is being reactive. Again, the account managers suffer because of it.

A more realistic picture of the day to day life there should be given during the interview process. Quite a few people that have started here in the last year have stated the same thing. They felt misled during the interview process. If a more accurate picture would have been painted, we would not have accepted the job offers.

Happy to be working here

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast growing company with a great culture. We work hard but management understands that since they started in our position so they have created an atmosphere that promotes team-work and fun. We have the ability to walk away from our desks and challenge co-workers to games such as ping pong, bags, or games on the PS4. Recruiters and managers explain NSS is an entry level position which allows us an opportunity to begin our career that may open other doors at Paylocity after a year. Several of us have transitioned to other departments while several others are job shadowing in other departments to determine their next move. Daily, weekly, monthly contests give everyone the ability to earn extra money while games, golf event, watching movies and sporting events, ½ days off add to the culture.

Cons

The first month or 2 is difficult and can be very frustrating. You are mostly reliant on the base salary but once you get through that the job becomes easier and the commissions and bonuses start to kick-in.

No advice. Just keep doing what you are doing. We appreciate it.

Overall great company, awesome culture with future career opportunities for growth

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paylocity is fast growing company with a great culture. This was my first job out of college and could not ask for a better opportunity, management has created an atmosphere that promotes team-work and fun. We work hard to meet our goals which are very reasonable and in addition you are given the tools and resources to not just meet them but exceed them, we also have the freedom to take a break from our day and leave our desk and challenge co-workers to games such as ping pong, air-hockey, bags, or games on the PS4 (~ 15-20 game selection).

To those who properly due there due diligence and want to get into a sales related environment will see that this opportunity exceeds most entry level positions as it relates to a positions company outlook, opportunity, salary/ compensation, etc. Recruiters and managers explain NSS is an entry level position, and explains the responsibilities as well as goals that are set ( which are with out a doubt reasonably achievable) which allows us an opportunity to begin our career that may open other doors at Paylocity after 12 months in this role. Several have already transitioned to other departments while several others are job shadowing in other departments to determine their next move. Within NSS there are great compensation/ bonus opportunities that run daily, weekly, monthly to give everyone the ability to earn extra money on top of your compensation. Not to mention we get paid to play games for our hard work/ success. In my 10 months within this role we have already had golf event, watching movies and sporting events, ½ days off (leave at noon), also multiple days where we got to leave at 2 or 3 PM as a reward for our hard work/ success.

To be honest... the lack of success by a few past employees is due to the lack of effort on there behalf, their day to day actions and drive explain that, there is no reason you cant see success as long as you have a strong drive, coach-able attitude and you utilize the tools that are graciously provided for you and you will meet and exceed your financial goals and in addition will allow you to reach the next step in relation to career opportunities!! I recommend this position!

Cons

No complaints, Any problems/ concerns an employee has the management has a open door policy.

None at this time, keep doing what your doing

Awesome culture and great work/life balance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came to Paylocity after hearing about the awesome culture, great opportunities, and the truly talented people that we were working here. Paylocity is truly committed to employee satisfaction and maintaining a work/life balance. The motto here has always been "happy employees, mean happy clients" and it is absolutely true. Promoting employees from within and creating career advancement opportunities is a standard here. If you are contributing value to your team; that will never go unnoticed and you are truly valued as an employee. Very casual office environment with game rooms, a market on-site, casual dress, and really good food trucks that come by almost every day. It's definitely been the best career jump that I could have made, and it's no wonder why it is ranked one of the top places to work in Illinois year after year.

Cons

Location can be an issue for some people since it is located in the suburbs. Depending on the department that you are in, there are work from home options a few days per week. I live in the suburbs, so I like the location! We are a growth company and finding enough talent to support all of the awesome product lines that our Product Development teams are developing.

Keep the culture and career opportunities with our continued growth.

This is the place to be!

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are so many reasons Paylocity employees love working here, but here are just a few...
    *Work/Home life balance: Remote positions
    *Culture: It's one of a kind. We are treated like family (not just a #) and our executive team has an open door policy
    *Compensation/ Total earning potential for all roles
    *Advancement opportunities

Cons

No Cons to mention at this time