Paylocity

Updated November 14, 2014
4.4

Paylocity President & CEO Steve Beauchamp
Steve Beauchamp

Pros
  • We have a great work-life balance, definitely with a work hard play hard mentality (in 16 reviews)

• Great work life balance, and great work from home policy (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Just like with every growing company, their are some growing pains but very balanced overall (in 9 reviews)

• I have nothing bad to say about this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Passionate about our software, our people, and our company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paylocity has been the best job I have ever experienced. The company really cares about its employees and the employees in turn care about the software they develop. I love the fact that our CEO sits in on almost every software demo (every two weeks) and gives guidance and feedback on what he sees. Our growth makes it a very fast paced environment and we are always working on solving cool challenges. Developers get a good training budget, and are encouraged to use it! Stock purchase plan is quite generous as well and

Cons

Time off could be more generous but being able to work remote takes some of need of vacation away. Also having a cap on the amount of time you are able to accrue is not the greatest.

Keep staying involved! I love how everyone is passionate about their work! Improve time off policies for newer employees.

The Perfect Kick-Start Position

Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is probably one of the better companies I will ever work for. Paylocity offers their employee's a myriad of benefits (insurance plans, 401k, stock options, etc...) and insists upon a healthy work-life balance. Also, with the company growing as fast as it is, the opportunities for upward mobility are only increasing.

The position for NSS rep is one that is a perfect kick start to serious career path. I took this job right out of college and gained valuable experience in terms of what corporate (and sales) life entails. Although the actual job is quite singular (dials dials dials) management is increasingly exposing NSS reps to further training to guarantee that their employees are well versed in not only what Paylocity offers, but also in how to properly sell and approach a potential client (or sale). Also, if you happen to struggle with quota, management is supportive and works with you to help you be successful. (They also all have an open door policy and are consistently available.)

After only a 4-5 months on the job, because of what the position entails and the reputation of the company, I was approached by a handful of companies and consequently, have moved on from Paylocity. I would highly recommend this position to recent graduates, seeing how the NSS position gives you opportunities, both in and outside Paylocity, that few other companies can.

Lastly, I have to say that the people you work with are awesome and hilarious. On the worst of days I was still smiling because of who I was surrounded by.

Cons

It's cold calling. The job is monotonous and can be highly frustrating at times.

Keep on keeping on.

Great place to work !

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment, great pay and awesome co workers. Monday - Friday only , no weekends, great work / family balance.

Cons

Needs more hands on in the training class room

Awesome culture and great work/life balance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came to Paylocity after hearing about the awesome culture, great opportunities, and the truly talented people that we were working here. Paylocity is truly committed to employee satisfaction and maintaining a work/life balance. The motto here has always been "happy employees, mean happy clients" and it is absolutely true. Promoting employees from within and creating career advancement opportunities is a standard here. If you are contributing value to your team; that will never go unnoticed and you are truly valued as an employee. Very casual office environment with game rooms, a market on-site, casual dress, and really good food trucks that come by almost every day. It's definitely been the best career jump that I could have made, and it's no wonder why it is ranked one of the top places to work in Illinois year after year.

Cons

Location can be an issue for some people since it is located in the suburbs. Depending on the department that you are in, there are work from home options a few days per week. I live in the suburbs, so I like the location! We are a growth company and finding enough talent to support all of the awesome product lines that our Product Development teams are developing.

Keep the culture and career opportunities with our continued growth.

This is the place to be!

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are so many reasons Paylocity employees love working here, but here are just a few...
    *Work/Home life balance: Remote positions
    *Culture: It's one of a kind. We are treated like family (not just a #) and our executive team has an open door policy
    *Compensation/ Total earning potential for all roles
    *Advancement opportunities

Cons

No Cons to mention at this time

Great company, amazing benefits, and A LOT of opportunity to grow with in the company!!

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This really is the best company to work for, for a number of reasons! I was looking for an opportunity to start my career within an organization and I found it!! When I first interviewed for this position the recruiter and management were 100% clear of what was entailed in this position. In the interview process you actually sit with current NSS employees and see what they do on a daily basis, listen to their calls as they are making calls, and see exactly what you would be doing if you chose to accept the position. As an entry level position the benefits are AMAZING and on top of your base salary you can earn some serious commission! I have now been at National Sales Support for 9 months and have already been promoted! Management has supported me the entire time from my start date till now and they are always available for questions. There is a quota to be met and they give you the time and resources to make it! The quota is 100% attainable and most people exceed the quota given! If for some reason an employee does not meet quota there are endless resources and tools to help your self. The main thing is that you want to help yourself and you are driven to be successful! If you aren't driven and do not have the capacity to reach out and ask for help then this position may not be the right one for you, as it would be with any job! I feel this job is not hard by any means but it may not the best fit for everybody.
            The overall work environment is what makes this position that much better! It isn't a cut throat environment that most sales jobs can be. We all work together, help each other on a daily basis, and all know how to work hard. There are almost daily competitions that can earn you extra cash (and I mean $$$$ cash!) on top of your usual salary and commission, as well as games to play! Management has been in our shoes before and they know the job can be frustrating at times. I don't know of any other place where they ENCOURAGE you to get up every now and then and play ping pong or bags?! Management knows how to recognize when people are doing well and reward them. I was promoted when I was here for six months and will soon be looking at other positions with in the company! I wanted a place to start my career and I did and could not be happier!! I have always had the support of ALL my managers the entire time and know that I always will!

Cons

Like any other entry level job you need to prove your self, and as long as you put the time and effort in there are huge rewards at the end! Anyone who thinks they are "entitled" to a position needs to get a reality check because there is no company out there that will give you a position because you think they should! Work hard here and good things will come of it!

Keep doing what your doing! We are always looking to learn more so keep up the training like you are!

Extremely Positive, Motivational, Encouraging, and Exciting!!!

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I don't even know where to start, they pretty much let you now from the get go that the position as a NSS rep takes a lot drive and motivation and that it isn't for everyone. not to discourage you, but simply to let you know that you need to work hard in order to play hard. They are upfront about the one year minimum at the position in order to be promoted to higher levels within the company. They preach and follow open communication with is unbelievably beneficial. The managers try to help as much and as often as they can and literally guide you to success when you first start so that moral is high and once you have gotten into the swing of things, they actually give you the opportunity to grow within the department as a Senior NSS rep (if you're at 105% quote, which is a very reasonable expectation). when you start off, they don't expect you to come swing through the gates and give you ample amount of time before placing you at full quote, which allows you to get ahead in Year To Date quota and build a cushion.

I, for example, had a very strong start during my first few months but plateaued for a brief amount of time (but still stayed above quota, i just had high expectations of myself) and management was nothing but supportive kept me motivated throughout my fight back to the top.

Management let's you know that the promotion that can be achieved after the 12 month mark is that they will push for you and make a strong recommendation for you to get the promotion, basically get you an interview. which is often confused by many for lying. but with the company growing at such an alarming rate, competition for better positions is to be expected. there is no reason you can't be promoted if you come in, make the dials, get the appointments, and stay positive. this is an ENTRY LEVEL POSITION, so expecting to not work hard is just foolish for any new hire. the environment is so laid back and casual the least they expect out of their employees is to do what the job descriptions asks of them.

the company rewards the reps with multiple bonuses (which on occasion match my check after a strong pay period!) in the form of winning ping pong games, bags, bozo buckets, darts. they also have a game room especially for the reps to cool off in if work gets overwhelming. they are completely fine with the reps socializing in between calls to get their mind off things, of course to an acceptable extent. work/life balance is unbelievable! i have never once stressed about not hitting quota on my drive home or when I'm with my family at family/social events. I've had 2 full time entry level jobs before this, and the stress level was unbelievably high! working here literally is like hanging out with friends while making money and growing as a professional, it really comes down to the individual on how they manage their time.

i can go on for days how this place has been nothing but good to me, and how i think it's one of the best places to work.

Cons

i don't have many, but the biggest con would be that they are too lenient. they want you to feel so comfortable that they are willing to let you work at your pace, and then people get carried away and don't produce, and when they fall behind they blame management (i know, it is more of a pro than a con, but even when i want to look for negativity, its bc of extreme positivity).

another con would be that they make it look so easy that people easily get carried away and feel they are too good for the position, but when they don't find success, they once again blame management (again, i know its more of a pro in regards that they make you feel so comfortable).

be a bit more firm, the fact that you create such a relaxed environment, it essentially gives some people the feel that they are too good for their job. micromanagement is needed for people who aren't performing up to standards. removal of certain privileges should occur if the rep is not performing at their highest level.

I love working for NSS-best job I have ever had

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros? Where to start...I have gained invaluable experience that I do not think I would have gotten at any other entry level sales team. Not only do I love what I am "selling" but I love the environment that I work in...What other company lets you play bags? Ping pong? essentially whatever you want during the day...and PAYS your FOR IT?! I would recommend working here to anyone who is interested in getting entry level sales experience...if you put in the time you will be rewarded for it both monetarily as well as career advancement. It truly is a "Work Hard, Play Hard" work environment.

Cons

I don't really have any cons...But if you are a shy person this may be a little bit of a challenge for you...but the management works with you to help you be successful here!

Like any job there will be challenges...it is hard to be the "perfect" manager to everyone but I feel like our team does a great job of providing the resources that we need to succeed.

Overall great company, awesome culture with future career opportunities for growth

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paylocity is fast growing company with a great culture. This was my first job out of college and could not ask for a better opportunity, management has created an atmosphere that promotes team-work and fun. We work hard to meet our goals which are very reasonable and in addition you are given the tools and resources to not just meet them but exceed them, we also have the freedom to take a break from our day and leave our desk and challenge co-workers to games such as ping pong, air-hockey, bags, or games on the PS4 (~ 15-20 game selection).

To those who properly due there due diligence and want to get into a sales related environment will see that this opportunity exceeds most entry level positions as it relates to a positions company outlook, opportunity, salary/ compensation, etc. Recruiters and managers explain NSS is an entry level position, and explains the responsibilities as well as goals that are set ( which are with out a doubt reasonably achievable) which allows us an opportunity to begin our career that may open other doors at Paylocity after 12 months in this role. Several have already transitioned to other departments while several others are job shadowing in other departments to determine their next move. Within NSS there are great compensation/ bonus opportunities that run daily, weekly, monthly to give everyone the ability to earn extra money on top of your compensation. Not to mention we get paid to play games for our hard work/ success. In my 10 months within this role we have already had golf event, watching movies and sporting events, ½ days off (leave at noon), also multiple days where we got to leave at 2 or 3 PM as a reward for our hard work/ success.

To be honest... the lack of success by a few past employees is due to the lack of effort on there behalf, their day to day actions and drive explain that, there is no reason you cant see success as long as you have a strong drive, coach-able attitude and you utilize the tools that are graciously provided for you and you will meet and exceed your financial goals and in addition will allow you to reach the next step in relation to career opportunities!! I recommend this position!

Cons

No complaints, Any problems/ concerns an employee has the management has a open door policy.

None at this time, keep doing what your doing

Great company and a great opportunity to get started in sales/business world

Current Employee - National Sales Support Representative in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am very happy to be a part of a very fast growing company that can lead to a great career path after spending 12 months on the job. Nothing's promised, you have to earn it. It is an excellent opportunity to build and develop your sales/persuasive communication skills as well have an un-capped commission structure. Daily/weekly contests spice up the job and allow me to earn extra money as well. It is a GREAT culture that I haven't seen anywhere else I have worked and my co-workers are amazing people to be around. More so than anything, for me, the product is unbelievable and I feel like this company is just getting started.

Cons

It can be a stressful job at times and you need to be able to handle rejection. The first two months can be tough but if you work hard, learn the material and put in your time the job becomes much, much easier as you continue as a rep and you have the opportunity to make very good money. If your not a hard worker or competitive and you aren't striving to get to the next level this position isn't for you!

Don't listen to all of the negative comments because they are so far removed from the truth. Sales isn't for everyone and it's pretty evident by their posts, it takes a lot of effort and dedication.