Paylocity Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
4.4

Paylocity President & CEO Steve Beauchamp
Steve Beauchamp

Pros
  • We have a great work-life balance, definitely with a work hard play hard mentality (in 15 reviews)

• Great work life balance, and great work from home policy (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Just like with every growing company, their are some growing pains but very balanced overall (in 9 reviews)

• I have nothing bad to say about this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

National Sales Support: Avoid if you have any kind of degree

Current Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time

Pros

Some genuinely pleasant and funny coworkers who are trying to make the best out of a really bad situation. You can at least learn a little bit about the payroll industry. If not, you will learn about what makes the competition so successful. Although management treats this as a sales role it really isn't. This is realistically a telemarketing role. If you're interested in seeing how brutal that world can be than perhaps step into this pit. You are really trying to set appointments for sales reps to meet new possible clients. You telemarket a database and make 170-200 calls a day. It's a very tough position even if certain things were to change. Theres a game room if you have time to use it or if it hasn't been shut down due to dissatisfaction with performance.

Cons

I could write a book about this place but no one wants that. Honestly, avoid this position at all costs. Being unemployed and waiting for a good job is a way better option. Management is very conflicting and doesn't seem to have any idea of what they want to come from this department. You are given a high quota to try and reach despite the fact that absolutely no one likes to speak with a telemarketer. Heck, think about what happens if you get a call at home. This is the exact same thing. Everything you say is scripted. If you follow the script exactly as trained and fail the managers will blame you. They are no better at this job as they were former NSS reps and the numbers and their occasional attempts to do our job say it all. It ends up in nothing but failure. Every superior you ask for advice will tell you something different. There's no direction, no helpful guidance. Please be wary of being told how wonderful this place is. This is a room full of talented young people who have no prospects other than leaving. New candidates are always told how Paylocity puts them on a fast track to promotion. These are not real promotions unless you consider going to another really tough phone misery job a promotion. I've witnessed plenty of disrespectful behavior on the part of management. I've seen so many people either be fired or quit in the last year that I don't know if I could even list them all. It seems like berating us for that is more important than making any positive changes to a really difficult job. You're lucky if you make any commission as the whole system plays against you. Don't bet on making more than $31k a year here. Far below " entry level".

Get on the same page, watch the language, listen to your employees when they bring up honest concerns. Provide actual training on what Paylocity actually does different. Don't cut corners on training, constantly change your expectations and berate people and expect to get better results. If you're trying to lose all of your good employees youre certainly achieving that.

National Sales Support Disaster

Former Employee - National Sales Support Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees I worked with were an enjoyable group and made the job a bit more bearable. Other than that there is lots of parking I cant think of much else.

Cons

This is a strictly a churn and burn cold call job. You are expected to make 150 dials per day and management will badger you to make 200 especially if you are behind quota. There is no sales of any products at all just calling businesses to set up appointments for the outside reps to show them Paylocity's payroll product and if they close the deal they get all the commission, while you receive $10 per appointment while they are making thousands of dollars. But as a nice reward for your efforts if an appointment you set is canceled for any reason even if outside of your control, they take back your commission money for that appointment as well as count it against YTD quota. (i.e they take a good standing future appointment away from you to make up for the cancellation) This is a heavily micro managed environment with next to no ability for advancement to other positions in the company but is one of their main selling points for this position. STAY AWAY.............................................................................

Management plays both side of the coin constantly.If you make the required dials and show effort they will complain about your appointment numbers, even though they know cold calling is hot and cold. Especially depending on what territories you are dialing. Then if you do well with appointment setting (i.e taking the time to cultivate the lead to close) surprise surprise they complain about your dials. I would ask anybody who is even considering this position to ask in the interview, what they value more effort (dials) or appointments and please respond to this post with an answer lol.
    Mike Bradley was my manager and likes to have long discussions about what can be done to help when I was behind quota and then does nothing at all expect play both sides of the coin like I mentioned above. He and the other managers are unwilling to challenge upper management with any of the suggestions the employees make even though they request you to make them in the one on one meetings.

The Place You DON'T Want To Start Your Career At!

Current Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free shirt, ok benefits, and office games we can play like bags(to make all the bros happy and feel like they are still in college), video games, ping pong, and a few others. But there is a reason why they have games, because without them... this would be the worst place to work in America. Hands down!

Cons

First lets look the fact that with every bad review the managers and director as people they know will do whatever they tell you to do to write a forced and false positive review. The turn over is so bad here, a few weeks ago now they made a promotional video glamorizing being a national sales support rep. DON'T BE FOOLED! They were all selectively set up, edited, and scripted on what to show and say. All propaganda to make this opportunity look like something special.

Read the other reviews, for every negative one there are fake scripted positive reviews to counter. I have been asked a few times to write a positive review, but I'm not here to sugar coat this job. It's a scripted telemarketing job where you make a low base, unreachable commission structure, and your advancements after a year as a NSS are into another entry level positions that you will be the same thing.

They say this job is not for everyone... this job should be illegal actually. Management and the directors here should be ashamed of how they cover up the truth. Managers that are currently here are so rude and love there favorite pawns to make them look good, that's not right and shows the character they are and how Paylocity "values" there employees. How can you go to your managers to talk about a concern like they advertise as an "open door", when the director is the head person making this position so poor. Next steps are going to be with HR. It's only a matter of time people will get fed up to the point of broken promises and belittling micro managing.

Do not leave a established position for this company

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people and decent though expensive benefits.

Cons

Training was unacceptable. After asking for additional help daily because I didn't feel like I was getting the software and being told daily that I was doing fine I was terminated for not passing the test. During training we where constantly off topic with comparisons to another payroll company, burning man, racism, etc. Completely impossible to focus on the training.

Control your trainers and actually make sure they can teach the material.

May 19, 2014Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Please know that this feedback has been passed to our training department and that it is taken very seriously. Paylocity works constantly to improve our candidate ... More

Looks good on the surface-but lots of issues once you lift the curtain

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good technology and many pleasant colleagues

Cons

poor management, micro management, policies change week to week, lacking professionalism and at times business ethics. Overburdened with tasks that dont put money in your pocket. Do not understand national dynamics outside of Chicago. Management has a click you are either in or not.

there is far more to being a quality company than decent technology and racing to go public

Mar 4, 2014Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. Please know this has been shared with the Sr. VP of Sales and will be reviewed by the executive team, as part of our standard review process. Paylocity is a rapidly ... More

worst customer service job I have ever had

Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good health care benefits. Health insurance was available the next month after I started. Didn't have to wait long.

Cons

6 week customer service training seemed like it would cover it all, however when we got to the floor, it was as though we had no training. Team lead was unaccommodating, played favorites. You had to make an appointment with the team lead to get help. They encouraged the use of IM chat to ask other coworkers for help. Then what's the use of the team lead? Very frustrating when you have a customer on the line and need an answer.

The job was supposed to be customer service for a payroll company. In reality, it was more accounting based than anything else. Customers would call with questions that were more suited for their tax lawyers or accountants. But when you are new, you don't know that these are questions that you cannot answer. Very stressful environment. I would leave exhausted every day.

The manager was always in meetings, never around. It was over one month before I had my first sit down meeting with my manager. She told me I was doing a great job! How would she even know when she was never around. The standard spiel was that "it gets better around the 6 month mark, and then it is almost like magic, you know so much." I was not about to stick around to find out. I got out after 4 months, that is only 2 months on the floor, the rest was in training.

The VP of the department wanted everything his way. Did not listen to employee input for possibly bettering the culture and work environment.

Lots of unhappy employees who can't afford to leave because they can't find other jobs. I was so happy to quit. I would not recommend this to any customer service professional. It is NOT customer service.

Team Leads should be available to assist, not in meetings all the time. Manager should be around to help and to assist with coaching new people. VP needs to listen to employee input.

Pay higher for customer service.

Nov 6, 2013Sr. Social Media Recruiter

I am posting this on behalf of our Client Services management team: At Paylocity, we truly value our employees and their feedback, and work to continually improve our employee experiences. It is ... More

Great Pay, Decent Software, Poor Internal Practices

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent if you are a Client Service Representative you will start out at $14.00 and if you are an Account Manager you will make $16.00.

The benefits are good in their Arlington Heights location, but their Florida location only gets to choose a PPO plan versus getting a really good HMO plan.

The supply catered lunch during the busiest time of the year.

Cons

Their management is not very diverse.

The company has a poor internal escalation system. Everything gets escalated without a filter of importance.

Some of the companies hire unqualified payroll specialist, and they will call you daily to request help on how to do their job.

Management has a under the table policy, which means get it done regardless of HOW it gets done.

Management has an NPS scoring for their clients that ask their clients one question, and that score directly affects the Client Service Representative, and the question only talks about the company.

Management makes you feel as if your real job in the company is to be the scapegoat for BUGS in their product.

Hire management with a willingness to learn the software and troubleshooting.

Do not risk the integrity of the company to make yourself look good in from of the top executives of the company.

Do not have show obvious favoritism to one person because it changes the overall morale of people nearby.

Do NOT work here if you are a college graduate!

Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits and "Laid Back" Culture

Cons

Where do I start? 1. Recruitment lied from day 1, promising growth and job opportunities within 12-18 months. Turns out you only qualify for an INTERVIEW and sucks to be you if your too good in your department because they will keep you there and not promote you. 2. They dangle "rewards" in your face and either take them away or punish you for actually accepting it. (ex: leaving early: if quota was met, you make it, you leave, you get to hear about how everyone who made it and still stayed are SUCH great employees) 3. Work/Life Balance SUCKS- mentally and psychically stresses you out about constantly having to make quota. 4. Changes their policies- was hired and began working 8-4:30- they decided to then change it to 5, which does not seem like that big of a deal but when under the impression of working until 4:30 it makes a big difference in the commute/traffic. OVERALL- If you are a college graduate do not even bother applying here, you ARE a telemarketer and the turnover rate is extremely high (at least 6 people have left in NSS within 3 months so far). You can find a much better job with higher pay, straightforward demands, REAL opportunity for growth and experience within your field. Trust me.

Look into what your recruiters are telling potential applicants- from my own experience and others, if we would have known what the REAL conditions were like I, as well as others would have never wasted my/our time for this job position. There is a reason why your turnover rate is extremely high in the NSS Department- STOP HIRING OVER QUALIFIED PEOPLE FOR UNQUALIFIED JOBS AND PAY.

Aug 28, 2014Director of Sales and National Sales Support

Paylocity truly values our employees and their feedback, and work tirelessly to improve our employee experiences. It is disappointing to see such a negative response. National Sales Support is an ... More

It had a great culture. But it is loosing...

I worked at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the senior managers are very friendly. The company is using latest technology which gives good quality to the product. Work from Home policy is great.

Cons

It had a great culture for years. But the recent changes in the company is loosing that culture. Newly hired managers don't have a good work thick probably because they are not familiar with the great culture the company had. We can feel the frustration in the employees because of bad management styles. Increase in bad politics. Even though over and over again the management says it will retain the good culture, I don't think it will happen unless they find the mistake and correct them. The managers who were part of the company for many years are able to keep that great work ethic. But recently hired managers are not able to.

For a long term reputation, if would be good to apply changes in the company carefully. Focus on consistently generated good results rather than quick results which will take a toll on the company ethics.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Implementation in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Implementation in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The insurance rates are decent. Not micro-managed.

Cons

Plan to work about 60 hours a week at year end (just in time for the holidays). Plan to work maybe a little less than that at Quarter end. Overworked and underpaid. Understaffed due to budget constraints. You can do twice the work as someone next to you and get paid less than them. I don't feel there's much potential for advancement. Holiday parties are employees only, no spouse or family.

Serious consequences should be made for employees that slack. Needs to be more staffing in certain departments. More attention needs to be made to the employees needs to accomplish their work. Better communication between departments would help tremendously. There should be better pay for employees doing more than 1 or 2 roles a day. Raises should be offered more consistantly.

May 27, 2014Sr. Social Media Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback: please know your concerns have been shared with the Implementation Management Team. We are disappointed that you are not pleased with your experience, and strongly ... More