Paylocity

Updated December 19, 2014
4.4

Paylocity President & CEO Steve Beauchamp
Steve Beauchamp

Pros
  • We have a great work-life balance, definitely with a work hard play hard mentality (in 16 reviews)

• Great work life balance, and great work from home policy (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Just like with every growing company, their are some growing pains but very balanced overall (in 9 reviews)

• I have nothing bad to say about this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing leadership and company culture that fosters growth and collaboration.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Paylocity

Pros

Great solution, great culture, great place to be

Cons

None at this time

Keep it up!

Growth is the name of the game

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Paylocity is absolutely amazing. We are growing at an amazing clip and are showing no signs of slowing down. I love that we have such a huge commitment to technology and the people behind it. The work-life balance is excellent and I never feel under-appreciated.

Cons

With growth comes drawbacks at any company. Haven't experience anything like that here due to our executive leadership team. But it is a legitimate concern--and a good problem to have.

Keep doing what you're doing. The communication between leadership and the employees is excellent. I feel very much a part of the organization.

The first month has been great!

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have really enjoyed working for Paylocity so far. Management has been great, anything I've needed help on they have been there to help or assign someone to help me. My co-workers are amazing, even during year end, which is a very busy time, they are never to busy to stop and help me. I was a bit worried working remotely would be difficult as far as getting help, but I think it has been the best of any job I've worked at.
       They are also pretty flexible and generous. I'm still going to school, and right from the beginning they had no problem working with the slight changes I needed for finals. They also sent a "Taste of Chicago" box to us. There was a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, Cheesecake sampler, and amazing English Toffee. It was just so nice to know that you're being thought of even though you aren't in the office.

Cons

Currently I really don't have any complaint. It truly seems like a team effort and everyone wants to see everyone else succeed.

Again, no current complaints.

Love my job

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined Paylocity right before we went public and it's been a whirlwind of exciting opportunities since then.

I've worked in technology for most of my career. Although focused on payroll and human capital management, Paylocity really is a technology company. We move fast, work hard, share ideas and look for results. If you make a mistake just own up to it and everyone moves on. It's a hands on, every person matters, we are going where no one has before, kind of energy.

The culture is relaxed. Casual dress, lots of joking and mini department parties all the time. Remote employees engage in a variety of ways - management is very cognizant of ensuring all employees feel included and have the right tools to participate. The people are fantastic - from the front office to the executive suite. Kind, approachable and committed individuals with very few exceptions.

Benefits are decent to very good. There is an employee stock purchase plan that is excellent.

Cons

There are of course some growing pains, but management is aware and dealing with them. The time off policy could be better, but many roles are so flexible that it's not a deal breaker.

I'm proud to work here.

Passionate about our software, our people, and our company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paylocity has been the best job I have ever experienced. The company really cares about its employees and the employees in turn care about the software they develop. I love the fact that our CEO sits in on almost every software demo (every two weeks) and gives guidance and feedback on what he sees. Our growth makes it a very fast paced environment and we are always working on solving cool challenges. Developers get a good training budget, and are encouraged to use it! Stock purchase plan is quite generous as well and

Cons

Time off could be more generous but being able to work remote takes some of need of vacation away. Also having a cap on the amount of time you are able to accrue is not the greatest.

Keep staying involved! I love how everyone is passionate about their work! Improve time off policies for newer employees.

The Perfect Kick-Start Position

Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - National Sales Support in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is probably one of the better companies I will ever work for. Paylocity offers their employee's a myriad of benefits (insurance plans, 401k, stock options, etc...) and insists upon a healthy work-life balance. Also, with the company growing as fast as it is, the opportunities for upward mobility are only increasing.

The position for NSS rep is one that is a perfect kick start to serious career path. I took this job right out of college and gained valuable experience in terms of what corporate (and sales) life entails. Although the actual job is quite singular (dials dials dials) management is increasingly exposing NSS reps to further training to guarantee that their employees are well versed in not only what Paylocity offers, but also in how to properly sell and approach a potential client (or sale). Also, if you happen to struggle with quota, management is supportive and works with you to help you be successful. (They also all have an open door policy and are consistently available.)

After only a 4-5 months on the job, because of what the position entails and the reputation of the company, I was approached by a handful of companies and consequently, have moved on from Paylocity. I would highly recommend this position to recent graduates, seeing how the NSS position gives you opportunities, both in and outside Paylocity, that few other companies can.

Lastly, I have to say that the people you work with are awesome and hilarious. On the worst of days I was still smiling because of who I was surrounded by.

Cons

It's cold calling. The job is monotonous and can be highly frustrating at times.

Keep on keeping on.

Great place to work !

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Paylocity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment, great pay and awesome co workers. Monday - Friday only , no weekends, great work / family balance.

Cons

Needs more hands on in the training class room

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The casual work environment and offsite meetings are pretty cool. And it's Monday thru Friday, no weekends!

Cons

It is an extremely stressful job and there is not a lot of support.

The training is a basic overview of the system and the actual payroll questions are not easy. I feel like there should more in depth training or they should look for people that have a degree or extensive experience in payroll. We're dealing with people's payrolls and most of the time we're just guessing as to what should be done. You can ask 3 different people the same question and get 3 different answers.

The majority of the clients were over promised during the sales step and there are many problems coming out of implementation. The account managers pay for those two things and clients love to escalate all the way up to the Steve's. That is not a good feeling when you are doing everything you can to help.

You have an assigned client list and one account manager can have over 200 clients. The majority of clients prefer email, but you are required to stay available in the phone queue 80% of the time. it is impossible to reach that number while trying to keep up with the emails. Most items require research and that cannot be done when you are constantly being interrupted by the phone. Project time is assigned, but usually for 30 minutes at a time. That is not enough time when you have an inbox full of issues to be resolved. It's just a matter of time before the escalations start coming in.

You leave every day feeling defeated and stupid.

Staffing needs should have been anticipated better with the rate of growth. There is no reason staffing should be so short. Instead of be proactive, the company is being reactive. Again, the account managers suffer because of it.

A more realistic picture of the day to day life there should be given during the interview process. Quite a few people that have started here in the last year have stated the same thing. They felt misled during the interview process. If a more accurate picture would have been painted, we would not have accepted the job offers.

Paylocity Response

Dec 10, 2014Sr. Social Media Recruiter

First, thank you for the feedback. We constantly work to improve our culture and our employee experience. We have added an additional 3 weeks of training providing our employees around 9 weeks of ... More

Awesome culture and great work/life balance!

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I came to Paylocity after hearing about the awesome culture, great opportunities, and the truly talented people that we were working here. Paylocity is truly committed to employee satisfaction and maintaining a work/life balance. The motto here has always been "happy employees, mean happy clients" and it is absolutely true. Promoting employees from within and creating career advancement opportunities is a standard here. If you are contributing value to your team; that will never go unnoticed and you are truly valued as an employee. Very casual office environment with game rooms, a market on-site, casual dress, and really good food trucks that come by almost every day. It's definitely been the best career jump that I could have made, and it's no wonder why it is ranked one of the top places to work in Illinois year after year.

Cons

Location can be an issue for some people since it is located in the suburbs. Depending on the department that you are in, there are work from home options a few days per week. I live in the suburbs, so I like the location! We are a growth company and finding enough talent to support all of the awesome product lines that our Product Development teams are developing.

Keep the culture and career opportunities with our continued growth.

This is the place to be!

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter

I have been working at Paylocity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are so many reasons Paylocity employees love working here, but here are just a few...
    *Work/Home life balance: Remote positions
    *Culture: It's one of a kind. We are treated like family (not just a #) and our executive team has an open door policy
    *Compensation/ Total earning potential for all roles
    *Advancement opportunities

Cons

No Cons to mention at this time