Paymentwall

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Honor Gunday

Global. Tech. Start-Up.

ProsPros:
    -Paymentwall embodies the spirit of exciting “tech start-up” companies who are doing it right. I could tell in a very short time after working @ Paymentwall, the company mission is simple: Deliver a solid product/service on a global scale that works (very) well and serviced even better. How do you do this effectively? Create an environment (aka/culture) that attracts talented techies that enjoy a fast-paced, action packed work week and reward them for the results they create. Not too hard is it?
    Other cool stuff:
    -Growing company with opportunities for upward career mobility (both in position & location).
    -Great office designs/work environment (SF, Berlin, Istanbul, Vegas, Kiev, Amsterdam, etc…etc...)
    -Company culture is “flat” management style.
    -Company identifies your strengths and lets you contribute in a “win-win” manner.
    -Business model is solely focused on the “digital goods” industry. You don’t realize how much you spend as a consumer on “digital goods” (i.e. Netflix, Spotify, Website subscriptions, Social Games, etc) until you work here and realize.."Pretty cool stuff".
    -Company is dedicated to creating high standards in work ethics but in a way that allows you to want improve your game as well.
    -Senior Management is very accessible.

Cons- As with any start-up growing fast, you have a lack of documented process and procedures, but it improves everyday and they allow you to provide helpful input.
    -We ran out of Peanut M&M's last week.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management is working hard, traveling globally and burning the candle @ both ends. Remember to stop and recharge/refresh/reset. (You have a good thing going with employees that "have your back")

The most fun I have had in any company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNew challenges everyday, I wake up excited about what the new day is going to bring.
    I am learning new things every day and we have been traveling around the world and meeting all kinds of people from different industries. I feel no other company would have been able to give me this experience.
    The company allows anybody to challenge themselves, learn and grow and take charge.
    The company is very entrepreneurial and open minded about new opportunities in any country and any industry that needs payments.

ConsReally long hours due to many different offices around the world and coordination needed between the different offices.
    Clients from all over the world also require to stay up late, go to dinners, lunches, events and leaves not much personal time. We travel sometimes months at a time in different parts of the world.
    It takes a certain personality with a global attitude and dedication to succeed at Paymentwall, and sometimes people come to work here because of the beautiful offices, delicious food, travel opportunities and cool parties the company organizes but the reality is this is a real business in a very challenging space and success requires a lot of hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people faster.
    Build more processes.
    Somehow figure out who is a fit who is not early on.
    Don't give up on values.

Amazing company)))

* * * * * *** *** (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCool team, always new challenges in your work. Ability to travel and communicate with other nations. Cozy office with incredible chief ) It is really a pleasure to work here in such an international atmosphere.

ConsSometimes it is hard to communicate between team members because of time difference around the world. Thats all ;)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's rock more and more )))

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent growth, dynamic team !

ProsYou must learn fast, work hard, act sharp, and be sincere to add value to this company.

ConsAdvice are free here or pay for them else where. Leverage that to your own knowledge for your personal growth. Good Job on those who can take it up a notch with advice.

Be ready to learn fast

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsA fast paced startup founded in SF. Being in the center of Silicon Valley, you are able to be right in the middle of the tech scene to see what is hot and what is not.

The company recommends going to many startup events to become really part of the scene and even to travel to other parts of the world (Europe, Asia, South America, etc...).

Expect to be thrown into the mix right away and once you understand the company and industry you can really do whatever you want as long as it is benefit and priority to the company.

ConsSteep learning curve means you have to learn fast and adjust even faster to the changing industry.

Great Culture, amazing ambiance

Business Development Associate (Current Employee) Berlin (Germany)

ProsPaymentwall is definitely here for the long run, it is not the type of startup looking to get acquired by another company for some investors greed.
    Knowing that, the CEO, Honor, is really investing time and ressources for the long term. It is easy to see that in every aspect of the business, how the treat their employees, their offices, and the way they deal with short and long-term goals.

Flat hierarchy, kind of startup mentality where everyone is at the same level and you the decisions don't need to go through two managements levels.

High responsability; At Paymentwall it is clear that if you are willing to take over some responsibilities it will be possible for you to take it over as long as you show that you are capable :).

ConsI dont really consider that as a cons personally but to be considered for some people if you want to work at Paymentwall. It is definitely not a 9 to 5 job meaning that we expect you to be involved in jour job and that means that some task will ask you to stay a little longer some day.

The job you never imagined before. Be ready to change fast!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Kiev (Ukraine)

Pros- The fastest growing company that you can grow with together
    - Strategic management
    - Very well treatment of employees with great compensation
    - Dynamic team worldwide that make you operate in a global manner
    - Here you feel the value you bring to the company and product each single day

ConsBe ready to dedicate a big part of your life to this company. If you are simply looking for a company with a great offices, cool and dynamic team, delicious food and great parties - don't consider to join Paymentwall if you are not ready to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing!

Abusive, immoral and degrading

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree food and the offices are nice and in good locations.

ConsNo support for growth, no leadership of any kind, the motto in the handbook is "sink or swim", the culture doesn't reflect the company, the employees get verbally, emotionally and mentally abused by the CEO on a regular basis, 24/7 availability with no overtime, low salaries, immoral regulations imposing on personal life, spying on your personal life, biased hiring and firing.

This company will set you up for failure and then tell you it's your fault no matter how hard you work and how much you have actually contributed to the company. The CEO will bleed you for all you are worth, tell you you are worthless then fire you without a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO and learn how to treat people with respect or you're doomed to failure.

Terrible Company, avoid if possible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou can join the company for the experience and the free food, there is a good opportunity of learning about the payment industry.

ConsThere is massive overtime hours involved, no compensation, no real life, 24/7 need to be available, Management is personal, massive controlling and spying of your work, being sick is 'not possible', failures will be discussed for hours on a personal level, very low salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees like humans and not like slaves.

The greatest learning curve

Project Manager (Current Employee) Berlin (Germany)

Pros- Great opportunities
    - Responsibility
    - Dynamic working environment
    - International travel opportunities

Cons- Time differences
    - Remote team members

Worked for Paymentwall? Contribute to the Community!