Peabody Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peabody Energy Chairman and CEO Greg Boyce

Greg Boyce

Great company to work for. Would go back if I could.

Equipment Operator (Former Employee) Wright, WY

ProsGood employee support. Management for the most part is fair and helpful. This company promotes advancement and In most cases helps you to succeed. Their benefit package is great. Safety is # 1 with them. All in all I loved working form this company.

ConsMost positions are shift work, meaning you work rotating nights then days. The work days are 13 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Good People, poor HR

Mine Engineer (Current Employee) Gillette, WY

ProsGreat People to work for
    Allows engineers to be involved in many parts of the mine
    Safety truly trumps production

ConsSuccession planning is non existent
    Development planning is poor
    HR group is lazy and ineffective

Advice to Senior Managementallow your people to move and develop. Remember we are One Peabody not individual mines

Horrible middle management and even worse upper management

IT Grunt (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Prosgood benefits
    tuition reimbursement
    good pay
    acknowledge long term employees with an award ceremony on a yearly basis.

Consvery political
    will not purchase new technological hardware and software with IT infrastructure
    focused on making a profit, not their employees
    middle management does not value the every day employee
    does not think globally
    still in the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the employees that work for you, not the almighty dollar. Management needs to encourage innovation, not fear of losing their jobs. The IT department is still in the dark ages. Monies need to be invested in the IT infrastructure ASAP.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company To Work For

Production Technician (Former Employee) Gillette, WY

ProsCompensation, benifits and company stability

ConsPeabody Energy values education over experience more than most companies and it is therefore more difficult to get a trainee job or advance without the education.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people who have performed well a written letter of thanks. For example, someone who has come up with an idea to redesign a piece of equipment and then followed through on fabricating that idea resulting in a substancial financial savings to the company should receive a written letter of commendation at the very least. Not just a verbal thank you and pat on the back.

Peabody Energy

Engineer (Former Employee) Gillette, WY

ProsAllows for a good work environment

ConsCompensation for engineers is much less than competition. Their salaries are approximately $10,000 under competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not micro manage employees. Allow them to do their jobs.

Worst company I've worked for in 26 years in coal mining

Mining Supervisor (Current Employee) Wollongong (Australia)

ProsI honestly can not think of any thing positive about this company

ConsOver managed.too many people in office jobs at the mine site not contributing to an efficient operation,incompetent mine managers.Peabody say safety is first priority but in my experience production is the first priority.Peabody is mining under Sydney's water catchment area and is knowingly damaging the water quality going into our dams.they will one day leave Australia and take all the profits back to the USA and we will be left to clean up its damage.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your Australian assets now and leave Australia

sales manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosdecent salary and bonus. if you are part of "team" you may have a chance to be considered and move up. if not , good luck.

Consupper management decisions are not leading company in the right path
    knowledgeable people are leaving the company.

Advice to Senior Managementevaluate better people being appointed to key strategic positions within the company. Use common sense to consider sound candidates and cut somehow the gossip culture and friendship when consider management promotions.

Good Aggressive Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork hard and get paid and get international exposure.

Consbad work life balance. Your family life will suffer.

if your looking here keep looking

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsIt opened my eyes to move out, on and up. Beggers can be chooser but it was a good experience to learn what not to look for. Just wish i would have learned it faster.

ConsPolitics rule the roost. Your either in or out. Middle managment is completely horrible. Make a decision already. Learn something new. Learn the job before they try to manage it. Dont promote the one that can't do the job to manage the job. Do you really need a meeting to decide on the next meeting? Narcissism and egotism are not a managment qualitys. As in other reviews the HR department is horrible, it is kinda thier job description but come on.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood team, In downtown so good access to public transport

Consnothing that is bad with peabody

Worked for Peabody Energy? Contribute to the Community!