Peabody Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peabody Energy Chairman and CEO Greg Boyce

Greg Boyce

Peabody knows how to mine coal.

Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) Gillette, WY

ProsPeabody is a leader in the mining industry.

ConsThere are too many layers of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget who puts the coal in the train.

Maintenance Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany provided interns with great living benefits and pay for an internship. Also included box seats at a baseball game.

ConsCould have paired interns together for cheaper housing.

Great forward outlook restricted by short term decisions

ProsMost of the people are excellent to work for and with. Many locations and opportunities, as well as competitive salaries and benefits. The leadership usually has a good outlook on long term development from continuous improvement, market positioning, reserve development, asset management, best practices, etc. Strong safety record and focus on safety.

ConsConstantly shrinking budgets, and increased productivity demands lead to poor short term decisions that often undermine the best long term plans. A flood of mandatory initiatives from multiple directions that are not fully developed, or supported interrupt day to day progress. Demanding work environments and hours can cut into home life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a good company with tremendous potential. Provide greater stability. Take the time to fully develop new initiatives, to ensure implementation is smooth and prevent overlap or conflict to current policies and practices. Assess programs and decisions to ensure they add value to the company. Once a long term strategy is developed, stick with it or reevaluate it, as opposed to making impulse decisions that provide short term financial gain.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Safety is pre-eminent with most leaders

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Evansville, IN

ProsA leader in the coal industry

ConsTends to be bureaucratic and centralized decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership in the corporate office should visit the mine locations and talk/meet with front line employees

The 21 years has all been very good to me

Mechanic (Current Employee) Gillette, WY

Prosthis company has not had a lay-off that I ever knew of. When things got hard we may have moved people ,but all continued to have work

ConsThe business depends some on the economies. All natural resources can fluctuate and with that comes good and hard times.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't continue to forget the ones that built this company when the times were hard.

Stop and go

Director (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPlenty of projects to add value to.

ConsNot enough capital to complete or fully fund necessary projects. Severe bear market in company's only product.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we manage to survive, diversify. Either way, realize that waiting for competitors to fail is NOT an acceptable business strategy.

it was a great time doing what I love to do.

Roofbolter (Former Employee) Equality, IL

Prosthe 401k and the work is competative

Consthe long hours away from the family

Advice to Senior Managementwhen u close a mine u need to make a panel to put the workers from the mine u closed into one of your other mines

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsLots of resources to do the job. Good work environment which includes a nice gym. The people are great to work with in this company.

ConsSome issues in the IT department not listening to the needs of the users. They do what is easiest on their part and not what is beneficial to the future of the company. There are also problems with lack of management.

Once a great company. Those days are gone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsAverage Pay, Good 401K, bonus and benefits. Super plush office space (on the upper floors - for management) and a gym.

ConsHR is too afraid to promote talent from within. Instead they hire managers from outside the company with the title they are looking for. Most of these people were fired or let go at their previous jobs. Many of them don't last long at Peabody. HR does NO background research on these people. As someone else mentioned, HR is lazy. I have interviewed candidates and recommended hires, only to have HR lowball them and turn the job down. They then go to the next candidate and offer them the position (even though that candidate was not recommended for hire). The performance review process changes every year. It now takes about 80 hours a year to complete, and it is like sticking a square peg in a round hole. It seems that the real intent of the process is to protect the company when it comes time to further downsize. Unless you are hired as a VP here, you will not get promoted to that position regardless of experience, skill, or effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out your HR team from the top down. They are driving your talented workers into the hands of your competitors or other companies. The "cascaded goals" and performance metrics are not understood by HR (at least they cannot explain it to us) and do a horrible job of identifying talent and hard work. Real talent gets frustrated by the process, while mediocre talent will learn how to game the system to maintain their job.

Analyst

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros1) Tuition is fully covered if you persue a degree in a university.
    2) Most of people are very friendly and easy to work with

ConsSometimes feeling very stressful because of the market.

Worked for Peabody Energy? Contribute to the Community!