Peabody Essex Museum Reviews

Dan L. Monroe

1. Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Salem, MA

I worked at Peabody Essex Museum (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot and was able to meet people in numerous departments. As well as network and develop skills in the field u wanted.

Cons

At times the work load was scarce and I found myself trying to keep busy on my own.

2. do a couple of years and them move on

Former Employee - Marketing in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Salem, MA

I worked at Peabody Essex Museum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PEM is doing impressive work in the museum world, great exhibitions, great design, great community programming. One could add some strong work to one's portfolio here. They're striking a good balance between being popular, tourist-pleasing exhibitions and legitimately interesting curatorial work--far surpassing the MFA in that capacity.

Cons

They continue to add upper-level management and not enough worker bees to get anything done. Huge political rifts between departments, extremely territorial and difficult to move between departments because of it. There was 100% turnover in the marketing department during my time there. Manger berated and belittled his staff, so we became adept at predicting his moods and second-guessing our decisions, not at taking creative risks and doing strong work. It's notable that they are rarely able to hire from within the northeast museum world--their reputation for having a terrible work culture precedes them.

Advice to Management

Stop putting management's obsession with PEM's national reputation ahead of employee satisfaction. Way too much ego at the top.

3. Excellent Facility and Perks

Former Employee - Guest Services Lead in Salem, MA
    Former Employee - Guest Services Lead in Salem, MA

I worked at Peabody Essex Museum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks: Free Museum Admission to several area museums. Great access to cultural events and lectures. Educated atmosphere with healthy collaboration between departments.

Cons

Little room for upward mobility. There were riffs between certain departments with no chance of bridging the gap when looking to change departments.

Advice to Management

Give every applicant a chance to change positions, regardless of the department in which they begin their career with your company.

top heavy management, great worker staff

Current Employee - Staff
    Current Employee - Staff

I have been working at Peabody Essex Museum

Pros

good hours and creative environment.

Cons

top heavy senior management. No room for advancement. Due to numerous layoffs because of "re-structuring" the staff has absorbed the responsibilities and duties of former staff with no extra compensation. Obscene amounts of money spent on travel and entertainment by senior staff and no raises for regular staff.

Advice to Management

Provide incentibe to staff to advance...put your money towards staff salaries

RSS Feed </> Embed