Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros:
  • "Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Supervisors are host country nationals"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "It can be difficult to be away from family and friends but think about it this way"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Satisfying Experience

Campus Recruiter and Former Volunteer (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at Peace Corps part-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn general PC does what it says it does, for very little money, and for some of the poorest nations/peoples on the planet. Very good at language training (usually) and puts people on a good pipeline for further international work.

ConsOften hire staff who failed at village or community-level volunteer positions, simply based on the fact that they are more visible in the capital cities (meaning they aren't in their communities). Not selective enough in selecting volunteers. Too vulnerable to changes in U.S. leadership (Congress e.g.). Hire senior staff for U.S. positions who were never volunteers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at who has been effective on the ground. They are usually not selecting themselves to come to the capital cities or to join special committees but staying put and getting projects completed at the community level. Focus more on local languages than on colonial languages, or at least do both. Consider going into countries where security risks are a challenge rather than always wussing out and fearing for your reputation over helping those in need.

Monumental. For the self-driven and passionate adventurer in you!

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros-Free range responsibility for developing your own projects
-Often no fixed work schedule
-Incredible opportunity to travel and explore
-Insight like no other into far flung parts of the world

Cons-No choice of where you end up
-Dont expect hand holding or much structure
-Personal life and enjoyment needs to become very flexible

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstandably difficult to match volunteers skills with petitioning hosts, but it would be good to listen to a volunteers stated desires and preferences a bit more when making final site selection.

Peace Corps Volunteer- Nicaragua

Pros+ Excellent staff support
+ Community placement

Cons- Salary does not usually increase with inflation

Peace Corps

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsYou get an individual experience, what you think of when you want to join the Peace Corps. The immersion into a local country is a fantastic, unique experience.

ConsDepends entirely on your site placement and the management of the Peace Corps in country. Some bosses are better than others, this makes it almost impossible to compare experiences in the Peace Corps

You'll come back a changed, person. I did.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsYou have the freedom to explore your professional interests while having the network of volunteers and staff assist you. You can make it as meaningful as you want it. I keep things busy and had plenty of experiences that I can pull from, even several years later

ConsThe hardest part is working inside of another culture -- and two years is a short time to really affect much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job

Peace Corps Volunteer Review

U S Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsBest experience of my life. I had a great village and people to work with. The primary project I was assigned wasn't really viable when I got to my village so I had to utilize relationship building to understand needs in the community and then build secondary projects that were challenging and meaningful to the communities I worked in. It was a really great experience to understand myself, how I work, and gain a global perspective.

ConsIf you are not a self-starter or work well in ambiguous work setting you may have a hard time.

Peace Corps is a fantastic agency to work for.

Regional Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive salaries with annual raises, great mission-based work, awesome coworkers. Lots of autonomy for regional offices and opportunities to work on varying projects. Great work-life balance with flex time and telework policies.

ConsRegional offices dont provide the upward mobility working at headquarters does. The 5 year rule is also difficult to work around and results in a phenomenal loss of institutional memory.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont ask for your employees opinions if you've already got a plan that you're moving forward with.

Strong, mission driven organization with passionate and motivated staff.

I have been working at Peace Corps

ProsCo-workers at the Peace Corps have a strong sense of purpose (Peace Corps HQ). You can tell your work is doing good in the world and people are very friendly and welcoming.

ConsThe different departments in the Peace Corps could work better together. The five-year rule (most employees can only work five years at a time) has made it difficult to maintain as much institutional memory as other organizations.

Epic experience in Niger

Volunteer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCross-cultural sharing, learning a new language, making life-long friendships, experiencing the challenges and opportunities of the developing world

ConsDifficult transitions - both going into and coming out of Peace Corps. But these transitions in themselves are excellent learning and personal development achievements.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen Peace Corps programs in more countries. Increase visibility/ awareness of Peace Corps in the US.

Challenging and good for personal development

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsGreat experience living with local communities.

ConsNot much mentoring when problems arise.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 316 reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.