Peace Corps Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

An amazing adventure

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a way to see life from a completely new perspective and do something truly worthwhile.

Cons

Many people cannot sacrifice so much of themselves.

Nothing, I loved my time.

Wonderful colleagues committed to making a difference.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

I loved working at the Peace Corps. I was initially a Volunteer but this review is about working for the Agency as an employee. The office culture was professional yet fun and each day I got to talk about my overseas service with coworkers and potential applicants. It was a great way to transition back into life in the US. My immediate managers trusted us to get on with things and knew that each employee would get the job done, even if our methods were sometimes unconventional!

Cons

As a US government Agency, Peace Corps is not entirely immune to politics. Dealing with the politically appointed senior leadership was sometimes frustrating as it would usually take them a few months to figure out what direction they wanted the Agency to go.

Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory. This has its good and bad points but most importantly, from a career perspective, is that growth is limited. Working for Peace Corps might mean sacrificing your career ambitions but I do not regret it and found most aspects of the job to be very rewarding

A worthwhile experience

Former Employee - PCV Madagascar
    Former Employee - PCV Madagascar

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Minimal oversight
    - You get what you put in
    - Great training

I was a year out of college and placed as a health volunteer in a coastal village in Madagascar. Halfway through my service I decided that health education was not the best way to leave an impact on my community, so I started a business with a local family to dry and sell fruit and teach sustainable business practices. It was awesome. The experience and the friends are forever.

Cons

- Limited structure (if you need structure)
    - Poor post-service career choices unless you want to work in development or education

Peace corps provides fantastic soft skills and perspective. If you are fixed in your ways, you will learn to be flexible or fail. However, unless you intend to pursue a career based on soft skills (politics, sales, NGO work), you are going to have a rough time readjusting. I'm transitioning to engineering, so there's a big skill gap that I need to make up.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RPCV

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Grassroots and HQ experience. Fantastic opportunity to travel and gain a foothold in international development.

Cons

Experience necessitates personal growth and development, in country and HQ staff offers little support

Life Changing Experience with Peace Corps

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

My time at Peace Corps changed the way I think and my own beliefs. I loved being able to experience the world in a drastically new way with all the different experiences out there.

Cons

The experience is one of the most challenging things you will do in your life and certainly not for everyone. You have to be very driven and willing to handle new experiences.

The Peace Corps management is too top heavy and needs to be more volunteer or local staff driven.

Great experience, no regrets.

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Offers an opportunity to discover new cultures, philosophies, languages, and people. Work can be slow, frustrating, and hard, but once you find your groove it can be the most rewarding work you've ever done.

Cons

Training could have been more focused on work related issues. Head office staff can be unhelpful and sometimes just incompetent.

Program managers could offer more support in terms of projects and work contacts. Of course, program managers will vary by country so you will have to wait and see.

Best experience of my life

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

A unique opportunity to live in another culture, experience a world apart from your own, and face and overcome some of the most challenging situations you will ever face.

Cons

The life of a PCV can be lonely. In addition, many volunteers go to Peace Corps with a goal of doing "something" for the host community. My experience was that this was more of a relationship building and personal growth experience than a development experience.

It is what you make it.

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

You can now choose where you go.

Cons

You might just be a political pawn somewhere..

Best experience of my life

Former Employee - Youth Volunteer
    Former Employee - Youth Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learning another language
    Expanding global awareness
    Good staff support

Cons

Very bureaucratic
    Significant amount of paperwork

Great experience, but based a lot on what you make of it.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Autonomy, great opportunities, new people, crazy situations, discovery, once in a lifetime, learning.

Cons

Little structure, hard living situations.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!