Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures(in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country(in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door(in 7 reviews)

A powerful forum for cross-cultural exchange

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great way to gain regional expertise. One of the best ways to learn a useful foreign language. Good way to build a strong network of peers interested in international development, international affairs. Generally the institution attracts an open-minded, solid, a fun bunch! A wonderful way to give yourself a uniquely challenging work experiences. Forces you to grow in unexpected ways

ConsSecurity issues, especially for women. You may get sent to a very unpleasant place. Expect extreme cultural shock depending on your country of choice.

Amazing place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost challenging but rewarding experience of my life! Peace Corps offers an amazing opportunity to give back through service and work with really great people.

ConsExpect to be flexible! Learn how to make do with limited resources; it is a key component for success. The toughest job you’ll ever love!!

Hardest Job You Will Ever Love

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYour service is what you make it. You can really get involved in the community, in your work, and in friends and have a lasting impact long after you leave.

Cons.. or, you can be sad, lonely, depressed, and miserable. It's your choice. It is what you make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAttract new volunteers just like every other company is doing.. Make it worth their time and lives by offering them jobs after!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very rewarding - hardships are nuanced and location-specific

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfreedom to develop projects; interesting areas; lots of personal growth; opportunities to travel and meet interesting people

Consresources, lack of support, very bureaucratic (it's a government agency); high turn-over among leaders and volunteers, often vague and ambiguous expectations

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time on the ground with volunteers.

Intern

Communications Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe communications team at the organizations is comprised of top notch people who will give you a plenty of opportunities to learn more. The office culture was interesting because you get to interact with people who are passionate about improving the world.

ConsThe process for obtaining the security clearance was a bit cumbersome and definitely required a significant amount of persistence. Generally, the office felt a bit sterile.

The Peace Corps was not the experience that I had imagined it would be, but it was well worth it.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're an independent, self-motivated person who is okay with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone, the Peace Corps may be for you. It's a great way to gain new perspective on the world, as well as to contribute to a worthy cause.

ConsThe organization as a whole is committed to making things run smoothly and quietly. That means that if you want two years of solitude, you can have it (after the initial training, that it). On the downside, if you experience trouble at your site, you're on your own. Operations vary from country to country, but I found in my experience that the PC staff were not very supportive.

Guatemala Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful staff and many opportunities to develop projects and grow professionally

ConsNo work life balance. No freedom. Priorities are on keeping the post open, not on the life of the volunteers or the projects

There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans.

Community Economic Development Adviser (Former Employee)

ProsApart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

ConsOther cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

Great organization if finding value in your work is important to you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravel, challenge and essentially managing your own schedule and projects

ConsLimited oversight from management made certain projects difficult to complete

Great experience, would recommend to anyone interested in working abroad

Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility and insightful experience, would highly recommend to anyone

ConsStrict policies and procedures when out of site

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!