Peace Corps

Updated December 18, 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 33 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 23 reviews)

• Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best experiences of my life and career

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

- The experience of working with a community to develop the skills, projects and initiatives that are important to them
    - Incredible autonomy to initiate and facilitate secondary projects within the community
    - Opportunity to integrate into a different culture
    - Flexibility and autonomy allow for development of great leadership skills that can be put to use in any job or career opportunity

Cons

- Reintegration can be difficult after Peace Corps service
    - Not a ton of support for volunteers to work together on projects across regions

- Support collaborative volunteer projects
    - Additional services to help volunteers reintegrate post service

Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

You get to live abroad and gain international work experience.

Cons

It is a volunteer position so you wont be saving any money.

Great time

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Best experience in the world

Cons

the heat and food are difficult

keep up the good work

Great Experience

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Flexibility
    Focuses on community needs more than government desires

Cons

Work can be slow
    Health hazards

Pick a strategy and stick with it

Toughest job you'll ever love

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

The best place to learn life lessons and change your life.

Cons

It is difficult being an outsider and a target in the communities at times.

Don't place female volunteers alone.

Peace Corps Volunteer West Africa

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Must be a self-starter. Lots of opportunity. No other experience like it. Lots of freedom to build from your background and education. You can say you've really experienced life once you've worked for Peace Corps. You will really learn a lot about the world and gain some very relevant global perspective. You also have a lot of control over your own schedule, projects and general work experience.

Cons

Harsh elements. Expect to be very sick, quite often. Emotionally taxing. Peace Corps can be slow to respond to major issues including health concerns and country issues such as disease outbreak and political unrest. Staff can be quite out of touch with volunteer needs.

structure your management technique to mirror a more bottom-up rather than top-down approach. Listen to your volunteers needs and concerns, and be pro-active.

It might be the most interesting thing you ever do

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training groups are small and build great camaraderie. Everyday things that happen will make great stories for years. Heck, the nasty stuff that happens too will likely make great stories and be retroactively appreciated - you can at the very least brag to most people back home. When you get over the challenges and do something, you will have a great feeling of competence, ability, and satisfaction. You feel like what you're doing helps people other than just yourself, and you can see the effects of that concretely and immediately - unlike if you were shuffling papers at a desk in a highrise somewhere, no matter how important that job may be theoretically. If you're someone who likes to prove that you can do things for yourself, you will probably get no shortage of opportunities to do that, whether it's communicating in an obscure language or figuring out how to bake a pizza without any of the required equipment. To make up for the strangeness and remoteness Peace Corps also takes care of a lot of stuff for you - visas, training (two MONTHS of training), various freebies appropriate to your environment, and so on, and all your medical expenses are free. When you've completed service, you get a bonus (over $7,000) and a year of "non-competitive eligibility" (preference in hiring for federal jobs). Even without the official preference, it impresses a lot of interviewers.

Cons

You will suddenly relocate to an under-developed country you probably don't know anything about, learn a new language, and make a commitment to it for at least two years. Some people want to do exactly that, but in my experience most people don't want to, especially if they have a stable job and a long-term relationship in the U.S. Periods of high pressure and unexpected problems alternate with ones of boredom and loneliness. You will be physically uncomfortable (too hot, too cold, too wet, too sick) and likely not have constant access to one or all of the following: transportation, plumbing, peanut butter, electricity, internet, TV, other Americans/English speakers, and so on. You will not get paid much, because you are expected to live similarly to the people around you, although this is enough if you don't have expensive tastes (I even saved a little money). Furthermore, in most of the countries, people don't value punctuality as much as in America, so you spend lots of time waiting around. The P.C. staff are great, but they may live more than a day's journey away, with bad postal and internet service. None of this bothered me too much, but it does bother a lot of people. Occasionally the placement decisions are inscrutable; I knew a couple of people who studied environmental science but got sent to teach English. PC looks good on resumes and in interviews, but there isn't a lot of mobility within Peace Corps itself, because it's intended to be a 2-year stint (5 years for country directors and other staff).

Consider placements and assignments carefully, and explain the decision to volunteers and allow their input.

great experience

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

I am a volunteer who had a remarkably good experience with Peace Corps- good site placement, no issues with admin, lots of professional and personal development opportunities.

Cons

however, I know that not everyone is as lucky as I was - including volunteers in my program. If I had had serious issues, I was not 100% confident the admin staff would have had sufficient competency to handle it.

High highs low lows - toughest job you'll ever love.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my project - youth development - and it launched my career.

Cons

Living in a developing country can pose challenges and the nature of Peace Corps service is full-on, you're a volunteer 24/7.

Peace Corps Volunteer

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Learn a new language
    Meet amazing friends you'll have for a lifetime
    Push yourself past all your boundaries

Cons

After training little to no support from administrative staff
    Ambiguous program goals
    Very little transferable skills

Provide more in country support to volunteers and make sure PCMOs in country are actually competent