Peace Corps Reviews

Reset
4.1
Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • You get to learn a new language and understand a different culture the way many will never get the opportunity to (in 33 reviews)

• Supervisors are host country nationals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 23 reviews)

• There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it (in 8 reviews)

1. Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience as a volunteer was entirely positive. Great training, and an extremely fulfilling experience. I would do it again.

Cons

Living allowances are slow to be updated, and are just enough to live. While traveling around in country is tempting, it can often be discouraged or prohibitively expensive.

2. Great Tough Experience

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Amazing experience, highly recommended to most people.

Cons

Tough to integrate into your site but you'll get it.

3. Loved the Peace Corps

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Dynamic work environment, lots of help and training, different projects all the time, great people to work with, great place to get development experience.

Cons

Living in another country can be hard. Medical attention isn't always available at the first moment that you need it. For the most part, there aren't many cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Peace Corps is having a great impact in many countries and I believe that the work being done really helps the countries where volunteers serve.

5. Agricultural Extension Agent

Former Employee - Urban/Peri-Urban Agricultural Extension Agent in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps (More than a year)

Pros

Great Learning Experience!!! I learned a lot about myself while I was in Africa. I learned a lot about things that I didn't think that I would ever learn- like how to build a well or how to set up a school garden, or even to write grants.

Cons

The culture shock, it's constant.

Advice to Management

Better details in training for needed skills.

6. bureaucracy abroad

Current Employee - English Language Education Volunteer in Orinda, CA
    Current Employee - English Language Education Volunteer in Orinda, CA

I have been working at Peace Corps (More than a year)

Pros

unique way to experience a different culture.

Cons

a government org, so there is a LOT of red tape to work through when you want to do a project with your community

7. Peace Corps Volunteer

Former Employee - Health Extension Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Health Extension Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best things about being a Peace corps Volunteer are: the flexibility, getting to use your creativity, learning about new people and their culture, traveling, a challenging yet rewarding work experience. One of the most important is the personal growth that you will experience in all aspects of your life.

Cons

You may not see the results of your hard work right away if at all. Can be quite challenging at first, as you learn a totally new system, country, people and their values as you try to do something rewarding and exciting.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the goals set by the organization, and the intensive training for volunteers that is provided. I would ask for maybe a few more training refreshers that are current and relevant for in country staff members.

8. Great mission, not always visible results

Former Employee - Business Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in the field are very passionate about the mission of the organization which is great motivation and a positive work environment. There are some shifts in the culture and initiatives in the organization that are steps in the right direction.

Cons

It is very hard to see the impacts of your work a lot of the time and while there are many idealistic people, this does not always translate into feeling validation or like your work is making a difference.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve transparency both vertically and horizontally between the Washington, DC HQ and the various posts throughout the world.

9. Volunteer is 1/2 what you make it and 1/2 luck of your placement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great international development experience Good health coverage You get paid to be there (even if it's not much, most organizations ask you to pay in the thousands to volunteer for them)

Cons

Training was mediocre and really didn't prepare me to be a business development volunteer - I had to learn a lot on my own. The central office is somewhat supportive but I expected to be able to count on them more. Health coverage when you return from being a volunteer is not very good. You can end up in a town where there is not much to do or where are a lot of projects and that is not completely up to the volunteer - it can be a matter of luck.

10. YD Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Amazing learning experience both personally and professionally. Intercultural communication.

Cons

Having to leave and come home.

At Risk Youth Advisor

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Support from my APCD was amazing

Cons

Life is tough and Peace Corps teaches you that. No cons for the organization. Except for the homophobia in country by the host country nationals.

RSS Feed </> Embed