Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros:
  • "Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Supervisors are host country nationals"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "It can be difficult to be away from family and friends but think about it this way"
    in 6 reviews
  • "There is a five-year rule in place which means most who work for Peace Corps cannot make a long-term career out of it"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Transformative experience.

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)
Lomé, Maritime (Togo)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsWhile everyone's experience differs, mine was very open ended. I was given the chance to live in a town in West Africa, interview people and learn about their needs, and then search for innovative ways to bring people together to meet those needs. It was the most freedom I've ever had in a position, and learning to understand another culture and the perspectives of so many people in it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I left feeling inspired that if I listened closely enough and worked hard enough, I could make a difference in people's lives. Excellent language training and cross-cultural communication training.

ConsLiving in a town in Africa comes with many challenges. At first, one is frequently sick. As a foreign woman, you have to learn to deal with a lot of unwanted attention. Sometimes people in the community you serve have such different values from your own that it is hard to reconcile. Nevertheless, I loved the experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional opportunities for collaboration among volunteers would be helpful. As the beneficiary communities become more sophisticated, access to resources such as more phone minutes or printers and photocopiers become more important.

Life Changing

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

ProsEveryone knows the pros of the Peace Corps. You get to travel to a foreign country for free and live like the locals. The experience is so much more than that, but you have to find out the pros for yourself.

ConsEveryone has a different Peace Coprps experience. You go in understanding that you don't have a choice over where you serve, you just serve because that is what you want to do.

Toughest Job You Will Ever Love

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)
Barranquilla, Atlántico (Colombia)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsInternational training and work experience

ConsWorking in another culture has its stress moments and working with 6-11th graders can be challenging as well.

Great Experience

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsOnce in a lifetime experience to work in a community that you would not have otherwise had access to. If you are interested in living overseas, PC is a great way to try it without incurring as much risk.

ConsDefinitely some challenging times living in another culture and being away from any real structure. Teaches you how to manage yourself.

An incredible opportunity

Environmental Volunteer (Former Employee)
Bratislava (Slovakia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsExperience different cultures and new challenges. Amazing opportunity to travel and work overseas, learn a new language, and make life-long friendships.

ConsThe work you do will not necessarily translate into a job when you return home, though you will inevitably get asked about your Peace Corps service in every single job interview.

Great opportunity to make a difference and learn about the world

Secondary Education Volunteer (Former Employee)
Cyangugu (Rwanda)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent language training. A good springboard for work in international development. It will change the way you see the world.

ConsCultural adjustment is difficult. Sometimes you feel you aren't getting enough support, but you make the best of it.

Life-Altering Journey of Self-Discovery

I worked at Peace Corps

ProsA wonderful experience, volunteering with the Peace Corps was the best job I've ever had. I discovered new things about myself, learned new languages and skills, and made friends for a lifetime. I ended up extending my service for an additional 13 months because I fell in love with my host country and fellow volunteers. There is ample opportunity to take your own unique approach to accomplishing programmatic objectives. However, I would recommend careful consideration of the sacrifices that volunteer life entails to anyone considering serving in the Peace Corps. It truly is the hardest job you will ever love but it is not for everybody.

ConsThe life of a volunteer can be incredibly physically and emotionally challenging. There are many barriers to success that require an extremely self-motivated personality to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove PCMO, for the good of all.

Experience in a developing country

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee)
Accra (Ghana)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining was done very well and I felt some what prepared for the adventure of two years in a village. It was the best decision I ever made, and I would take back all the amazing experiences I had over two years.

ConsThe experience is what you make of it, so it must be a self starter. Also, it is very difficult to live away from friends and family for two years. Being a Peace Corps Volunteer takes a lot of patience, acceptance, and tenacity.

Had a good experience day-in/day-out, but was not a strategic way to advance professionally.

Country Desk Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

ProsWorking as HQ staff: 1) Great collegiality/teamwork in the office! 2) Great devotion and sense of mission! 3) You'll definitely like the people you work with and create a network.

ConsIn terms of career development, Peace Corps is a place where if you take an entry level job hoping for a chance to move up; then either it will happen quickly (about a year) or not at all. Don't think staying on longer will increase your chances. And in terms of salary history, you're better off working somewhere else first to establish a decent salary history and then joining staff. If you come directly from being a Volunteer you can get stuck at the bottom of the pay scale in your career for a long time.

Advice to Senior Management1) Empower staff; 2) establish a system for responding to the turnover and institutional learning issues caused by the 5 year rule; 3) Establish a baseline pay for former Volunteers joining staff - don't penalize their years of service to the nation by treating them like they have no salary history/experience.

Volunteering is a full time job

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros- Great experience
-- Peace Corps is tough but the experience gained is invaluable. Both professionally and personally.
- Lifelong connections
-- The people you meet will be with you for the rest of your life (for better or worse). This includes other --
-- volunteers, staff and HCNs

Cons- Support
-- Peace Corps support is spotty. Sometimes it is the best you could ever hope for and the next moment you
-- realize you are completely on your own in a foreign country without proper training (see training below)
- Flexibility
-- Peace Corps is a large government organization and it shows when a volunteer or staff member tries to
-- work outside of established norms
- Training
-- Peace Corps training is great except for when it isn't. The language and culture training is amazing but the --- technical training is lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the volunteers more. Have a better system to listen to the field.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peace Corps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Peace Corps CEO Carrie Hessler-Radelet . All 316 reviews posted anonymously by Peace Corps employees.