Peace Corps Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great life changing experience

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Great experience, had a lot of fun

Cons

In country staff was not very good

Great life/cultural exchange experience, and definite skills building

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn about another culture and self through this experience. Learn how to be super resourceful, and building strong relationships/community. Needs are provided for- good benefits. Non-competitive eligibility when service is completed, and re-adjustment reward.

Cons

Sometimes to find support. Little choice in location and site work. Not as many trainings as would have liked.

A powerful forum for cross-cultural exchange

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

A great way to gain regional expertise. One of the best ways to learn a useful foreign language. Good way to build a strong network of peers interested in international development, international affairs. Generally the institution attracts an open-minded, solid, a fun bunch! A wonderful way to give yourself a uniquely challenging work experiences. Forces you to grow in unexpected ways

Cons

Security issues, especially for women. You may get sent to a very unpleasant place. Expect extreme cultural shock depending on your country of choice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Former Employee - Communications Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

The communications team at the organizations is comprised of top notch people who will give you a plenty of opportunities to learn more. The office culture was interesting because you get to interact with people who are passionate about improving the world.

Cons

The process for obtaining the security clearance was a bit cumbersome and definitely required a significant amount of persistence. Generally, the office felt a bit sterile.

Amazing place to work!

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most challenging but rewarding experience of my life! Peace Corps offers an amazing opportunity to give back through service and work with really great people.

Cons

Expect to be flexible! Learn how to make do with limited resources; it is a key component for success. The toughest job you’ll ever love!!

Hardest Job You Will Ever Love

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Your service is what you make it. You can really get involved in the community, in your work, and in friends and have a lasting impact long after you leave.

Cons

.. or, you can be sad, lonely, depressed, and miserable. It's your choice. It is what you make it.

Attract new volunteers just like every other company is doing.. Make it worth their time and lives by offering them jobs after!

very rewarding - hardships are nuanced and location-specific

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

freedom to develop projects; interesting areas; lots of personal growth; opportunities to travel and meet interesting people

Cons

resources, lack of support, very bureaucratic (it's a government agency); high turn-over among leaders and volunteers, often vague and ambiguous expectations

spend more time on the ground with volunteers.

Great organization if finding value in your work is important to you.

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Travel, challenge and essentially managing your own schedule and projects

Cons

Limited oversight from management made certain projects difficult to complete

There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans.

Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser
    Former Employee - Community Economic Development Adviser

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Apart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

Cons

Other cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

The Peace Corps was not the experience that I had imagined it would be, but it was well worth it.

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

If you're an independent, self-motivated person who is okay with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone, the Peace Corps may be for you. It's a great way to gain new perspective on the world, as well as to contribute to a worthy cause.

Cons

The organization as a whole is committed to making things run smoothly and quietly. That means that if you want two years of solitude, you can have it (after the initial training, that it). On the downside, if you experience trouble at your site, you're on your own. Operations vary from country to country, but I found in my experience that the PC staff were not very supportive.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!