Peace Corps Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Once in a lifetime experience to work in a community that you would not have otherwise had access to. If you are interested in living overseas, PC is a great way to try it without incurring as much risk.

Cons

Definitely some challenging times living in another culture and being away from any real structure. Teaches you how to manage yourself.

Life-Altering Journey of Self-Discovery

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

A wonderful experience, volunteering with the Peace Corps was the best job I've ever had. I discovered new things about myself, learned new languages and skills, and made friends for a lifetime. I ended up extending my service for an additional 13 months because I fell in love with my host country and fellow volunteers. There is ample opportunity to take your own unique approach to accomplishing programmatic objectives. However, I would recommend careful consideration of the sacrifices that volunteer life entails to anyone considering serving in the Peace Corps. It truly is the hardest job you will ever love but it is not for everybody.

Cons

The life of a volunteer can be incredibly physically and emotionally challenging. There are many barriers to success that require an extremely self-motivated personality to overcome.

Improve PCMO, for the good of all.

Peace Corps volunteer experience is unique and really once in a lifetime stuff.

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

You are granted real-life opportunities for cultural exchange, adaptation, learning a new language and grassroots international development work. Every experience is totally different and special in its own ways. You are really challenged as an individual to make the most of a very unstructured and resource-low experience, however that also makes for that much more possibility and growth.

Cons

There is not much direct oversight of projects, so you have develop the discipline and self-initiative to create the structure and coordination necessary for effective work.

Each post is different, as are the sites, so I think it is just important to be flexible and considerate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life changing experience leading to future opportunity.

Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Independence, self-motivated, flexible schedule, priceless perspective, short-term contract

Cons

Lack of structure, bureaucracy, post hardships, limited resources, short-term contact

Multiculturally diverse and inclusive environment but a little behind on tech innovation.

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The place is very internationally diverse. People are generally friendly, nice, inclusive, curious and respectful of other cultures and languages. There are lots of professional development opportunities- mainly because of the high turnover rate- you have to learn quick and be open to getting many duties as needed assignments (this depends on the dept).

Cons

A challenge of working here is that work-life balance varies by dept. and there is no consistency. It seems that only those who are pregnant, have kids, or have families can telework. Professional development also varies by dept. You often have to relate professional development classes to your job-- how about if you've excelled at your entry/mid-level position? Are you given to grow outside of your position to a career after Peace Corps? Again that depends on your dept's leadership.

Have more work-life balance opportunities- be consistent in enforcing it. Have more professional development opportunities that would truly allow you to grow outside of your present position.

Had a good experience day-in/day-out, but was not a strategic way to advance professionally.

Former Employee - Country Desk Officer
    Former Employee - Country Desk Officer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Working as HQ staff: 1) Great collegiality/teamwork in the office! 2) Great devotion and sense of mission! 3) You'll definitely like the people you work with and create a network.

Cons

In terms of career development, Peace Corps is a place where if you take an entry level job hoping for a chance to move up; then either it will happen quickly (about a year) or not at all. Don't think staying on longer will increase your chances. And in terms of salary history, you're better off working somewhere else first to establish a decent salary history and then joining staff. If you come directly from being a Volunteer you can get stuck at the bottom of the pay scale in your career for a long time.

1) Empower staff; 2) establish a system for responding to the turnover and institutional learning issues caused by the 5 year rule; 3) Establish a baseline pay for former Volunteers joining staff - don't penalize their years of service to the nation by treating them like they have no salary history/experience.

Be there for the right reasons

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Great international experience, helps build a really strong network, and the training helps you develop hard-skills.

Cons

You are a volunteer, so the pay is small, but manageable to live on.

GREAT experience

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Love it! I was sent to South Africa to live.

Cons

Isolation in the village can be challenging.

Support sending volunteers home more.

I did youth development work from 2011 to 2013 in rural Morocco.

Former Employee - Youth Development Volunteer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Youth Development Volunteer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Peace Corps work is as hands-on as it gets! I enjoyed teaching English as a Foreign Language to all ages and levels of learners and leading critical skills development programs with youth, especially young women.

Cons

The high turnover innate to the Peace Corps allows for some gaps in the programming. I was unfortunate to be trained for my service during one of those gaps, which left me quite uncertain how to begin my service. It was an obstacle I overcame.

I would advise management to nominate volunteers on the basis of their expertise and place them accordingly.

Former Peace Corps Volunteer who served in two countries

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

As a Peace Corps Volunteer, you receive world-class language, cultural, and position specific training in-country. Further, the Peace Corps has a great reputation which will follow you after your tenure

Cons

As a government entity, the Peace Corps is susceptible to slow government response times and red tape when it comes to seeking to receiving feedback and proposing new ideas.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!