Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!!

ProsPeace Corps has a friendly atmosphere with a lot of flexibility for alternative work schedules. It is a great place with a great mission. Because it is a government agency the benefits are great.

ConsThis is a government agency, so there is a lot of bureaucracy. Also, you will be stuck on the government pay schedule, so it is difficult to progress quickly.

Great opportunity and life-changing experience

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsPC Georgia staff were very supportive

ConsConditions can be difficult, so you should be prepared for independent work and high stress at times

Confused... but I still learned a lot from the experience as a volunteer.

ProsLearning the spoken language
    Culture Training
    Great support from staff and fellow volunteers. Very caring, understanding, and compassionate
    You will learn a lot about yourself and the world

ConsLoneliness and Isolation
    Culture Shock and homesickness
    Bureaucracy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is what you make it

ProsDepending on your program, you may have a large amount of flexibility. Depending on your superiors, you may have a great time.

ConsDepending on your program, you may have a large amount of flexibility. Depending on your superiors, you may have a great time.

great!

Proslocals,food,culture,dancing,scenery is great to look at

Consstaff can be distant from us

As a Volunteer, it was an ideal fit for me.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearn a new language, travel, challenge yourself in ways that are truly unique and gain experience for International Development.

ConsDoing bureaucratic reports about your work, following hardline rules for safety/security, the stresses of living far away perhaps in an isolated place.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making a tighter fit between a potential Volunteer's skills and their placement.

Most interesting experience that I wouldn't do more than once

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExperience things you've never thought of doing before, learn a lot about yourself, fabulous language training

ConsNo support from Peace Corps, Medical Staff were inexperienced and inappropriate

Community Economic Development Volunteer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was the hardest, most rewarding job that I have ever had. Through this experience I learned a knew language, was able to work with a completely different culture and learned how to handle set backs.

ConsSometimes dealing with the federal government was a hassle.The communication between the field and Washington was often times delayed and confusing.

Hardest job you will ever love

ProsExperience, working abroad, community-level work

ConsApplication process, bureaucracy, too rigid at times

English Teacher, West Africa

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood medical coverage, flexible schedule. You get to live in an interesting environment with more responsibility than you will find elsewhere right out of college. If you buck the administration, you can accomplish really great and meaningful things. You have to be in it for the impact though, because the pay is third-world-chic. It is probably the adventure of a lifetime, for better and worse.

ConsNo nights, weekends, or holidays. Inflexible and patronizing management. Poor living conditions. Top management wants to treat you like a drone that accepts orders and obeys their checklists regardless of conditions on the ground or the needs of your partner organization. It takes courage and going directly against the wishes of management in order to accomplish the goals of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't micromanage. Let people on the ground take the lead, and support their actions, rather than treating them like puppets or slaves.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!