Peace Corps Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Hardest Job You'll Ever Love

I have been working at Peace Corps (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing else in the world like being a volunteer. Amazing job and life learning opportunities.

Cons

Challenging work environment. Be prepared for loneliness.

I lived in a rural village in East Africa and worked as a health educator.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

This is a great way to get hands-on experience with project development at a grassroot level. Lots of freedom to do things your own way, or use other volunteers as sources of ideas. Best language training program I've ever seen. Amazing sense of support from PC staff and fellow volunteers.

Cons

"Job descriptions" are very vague. You pretty much show up in your assigned site and figure out what your work will be and how you should go about it.

Peace Corps Health Vol

Former Employee - Peace Corps Health Volunteer
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Health Volunteer

Pros

Peace Corps The Gambia's Health Sector offers volunteers the chance to really make a difference. You'll be doing important work with populations that actually need public health outreach and education. You get the chance to make your experience what you want it to be. You basically design your programs entirely on your own, assessing the area needs, developing projects, and implementing and evaluating them. It's a great opportunity to increase your skill set.

Cons

Nearly no oversight. Few resources. If you're not a self-starter, this may not be for you. You need to be self-motivated.

5. Character Defining Job

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Incredibly rewarding, easy to gain skills and perspective on life, great healthcare benefits, excellent hands-on international development experience and training, opportunity to gain fluency in a foreign language, reasonable stipend rewarded at the end of contracts

Cons

government bureaucracy, overly strict personal conduct policy, lengthy and complicated application process, unpaid position (though it does come with a small monthly stipend), 27 month minimum commitment

Advice to Management

Loosen safety and security restrictions on Peace Corps Volunteers, allow for more personal leave time, provide more project sector-related in-service training, change the cash-in-lieu of a plane ticket policy to compensate the full price of plane tickets after service

6. Volunteer in Ghana

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Wonderful experience, although results will vary amongst people. Must have an open mind. Program is not perfect but gives you the basic, necessary tools to survive. Great medical care.

Cons

Bureaucracy is a little slow. Very difficult in getting pay raises, especially when there was rampant inflation; however this wasn't necessarily their fault because they answer to the Washington D.C. office. Staff lack experience in responding to major crises.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job. Sean was a standup guy who had a very open mind which was motivational to many of my colleagues. I hope that is the current trajectory for Peace Corps Ghana.

Great environment with amazing diversity

Current Employee - Regional Recruiter
    Current Employee - Regional Recruiter

Pros

Great work/life balance, lots sick leave, vacation, and other government benefits, best part is the ability to telecommute once a week.

Cons

Only a 5 year term, lots of turnover since people are always looking for the next job even though they are very satisfied.

8. recruitment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Peace Corps (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great location, good mission

Cons

pay, management, nepotism, lack of training,

9. Youth Development Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Peace Corps gives you the opportunity to serve the public internationally. During my time I taught English, baseball, basketball, and Ultimate Frisbee. I also worked daily at an NGO in my city.

Cons

Peace Corps is a two year commitment that takes you to the other side of the world. You will be lonely and at times bored.

10. Peace Corps Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Wonderful life experience abroad for three years.

Cons

Not officially employed by US government.

Peace Corps Regional Recruiter

Current Employee - Regional Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

like-minded, small, close-knit staff. Lots of flexibility in planning our campaigns and the outreach activities we conduct; job security, although you are working within a 5-year term limit

Cons

Government bureaucracy, although this isn't bad in a small agency like ours.

RSS Feed </> Embed