Peace Corps

www.peacecorps.gov
Profile Unclaimed

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are committed to helping people in the developing world and have some ideas for programs that you would like to develop and test, this is an ideal environment. PC provides language training, some additional education, the Peace Corps brand, some say "government issued and a stipend. There does not appear to be a requirement to comply with performance standards nor a penalty for spending your days watching videos.

Cons

Egregious violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It took 2,5 years of applications, document submissions and appeals to be finally accepted with ADHD. You might think that once you finally get in your difficulties are over, but not so! They repeatedly harassed me and tried to fire me. Finally did...

Wonderful experience of truly living in another country, however Peace Corps provided little positive support.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a new language and understand a different culture the way many will never get the opportunity to. It provides you with great independence and the opportunity to work on leadership and project development skills (which are great for a variety of future careers). The monthly stipend you receive is enough to let you live in the village you're in, but if you plan on traveling around you will need to come with some money from home.

Cons

Just like working with any government agency, there are many rules and regulations in place. I personally lived in a smaller country so I had a lot of unwanted control on my projects and schedules. Usually if you are working for an organization, it is expected that you have management and supervision from superiors. However, because you are told to be independent and to be an individual volunteer in your respective communities, it is hard to truly make an impact and do projects that you think will benefit your community when you feel constricted my Peace Corps' regulations and management. The amount of control you feel from your supervisors differs from the type of person is staffed there at the time. It may be worthwhile, before accepting your invitation to the country, to ask people currently serving there now about their opinion of the director and program managers.

environmental volunteer, South America

Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer
    Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working in Peace Corps ensures a unique experience and opportunities to learn new skills that you may otherwise not have had the opportunity to learn like a second language, grant writing, project management, etc. There is also the chance to truly connect with another culture and people.

Cons

There are countless challenges for volunteers including but not limited to: being sick often, lower standards of hygiene, struggling with a new language, feelings of isolation or not having enough privacy, missing everything from home - people, pets, food, music and more. Also getting used to a new culture with different values which can sometimes be hard for an American and the slow pace of project development in rural or smaller sites. Aside from these things coming home after the 2 years can be stressful - Adjusting back to American life and looking for a job

Best experience of my life

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

A unique opportunity to live in another culture, experience a world apart from your own, and face and overcome some of the most challenging situations you will ever face.

Cons

The life of a PCV can be lonely. In addition, many volunteers go to Peace Corps with a goal of doing "something" for the host community. My experience was that this was more of a relationship building and personal growth experience than a development experience.

Great experience, no regrets.

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Offers an opportunity to discover new cultures, philosophies, languages, and people. Work can be slow, frustrating, and hard, but once you find your groove it can be the most rewarding work you've ever done.

Cons

Training could have been more focused on work related issues. Head office staff can be unhelpful and sometimes just incompetent.

Program managers could offer more support in terms of projects and work contacts. Of course, program managers will vary by country so you will have to wait and see.

It is what you make it.

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

You can now choose where you go.

Cons

You might just be a political pawn somewhere..

Best experience of my life

Former Employee - Youth Volunteer
    Former Employee - Youth Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learning another language
    Expanding global awareness
    Good staff support

Cons

Very bureaucratic
    Significant amount of paperwork

Great experience, but based a lot on what you make of it.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Autonomy, great opportunities, new people, crazy situations, discovery, once in a lifetime, learning.

Cons

Little structure, hard living situations.

Great life changing experience

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Great experience, had a lot of fun

Cons

In country staff was not very good

Great life/cultural exchange experience, and definite skills building

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn about another culture and self through this experience. Learn how to be super resourceful, and building strong relationships/community. Needs are provided for- good benefits. Non-competitive eligibility when service is completed, and re-adjustment reward.

Cons

Sometimes to find support. Little choice in location and site work. Not as many trainings as would have liked.