Peace Corps Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 32 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 22 reviews)

• Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

great!

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

locals,food,culture,dancing,scenery is great to look at

Cons

staff can be distant from us

As a Volunteer, it was an ideal fit for me.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn a new language, travel, challenge yourself in ways that are truly unique and gain experience for International Development.

Cons

Doing bureaucratic reports about your work, following hardline rules for safety/security, the stresses of living far away perhaps in an isolated place.

Work on making a tighter fit between a potential Volunteer's skills and their placement.

Most interesting experience that I wouldn't do more than once

I worked at Peace Corps for more than a year

Pros

Experience things you've never thought of doing before, learn a lot about yourself, fabulous language training

Cons

No support from Peace Corps, Medical Staff were inexperienced and inappropriate

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Community Economic Development Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps for more than a year

Pros

This was the hardest, most rewarding job that I have ever had. Through this experience I learned a knew language, was able to work with a completely different culture and learned how to handle set backs.

Cons

Sometimes dealing with the federal government was a hassle.The communication between the field and Washington was often times delayed and confusing.

Hardest job you will ever love

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Experience, working abroad, community-level work

Cons

Application process, bureaucracy, too rigid at times

English Teacher, West Africa

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good medical coverage, flexible schedule. You get to live in an interesting environment with more responsibility than you will find elsewhere right out of college. If you buck the administration, you can accomplish really great and meaningful things. You have to be in it for the impact though, because the pay is third-world-chic. It is probably the adventure of a lifetime, for better and worse.

Cons

No nights, weekends, or holidays. Inflexible and patronizing management. Poor living conditions. Top management wants to treat you like a drone that accepts orders and obeys their checklists regardless of conditions on the ground or the needs of your partner organization. It takes courage and going directly against the wishes of management in order to accomplish the goals of the organization.

Don't micromanage. Let people on the ground take the lead, and support their actions, rather than treating them like puppets or slaves.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Technical Trainer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technical Trainer in Washington, DC

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The company offers great training and staff development opportunities. The ideology of the organization makes it a meaningful experience.

Cons

May be required to deliver work that exceed work hours, Compensation only in Comp time.

Allow for more upward mobility

Best job of my life

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

work with little supervision on projects you develop closely with community contacts while learning a new language

Cons

You don't get paid much, and there's always the chance you'll get sent somewhere that you just don't like.

Keep the hiring process competitive. You need people who are willing to go anywhere and work hard.

Solomon Islands

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Amazing lifetime experience. Great people, both the volunteers and the locals

Cons

We were really isolated. No roads or any ability to get to the location of other PC volunteers.

Hardest job you will ever love

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel, culture and opportunity. It is a great way to meet people with similar interests and a travel the world. You become part of a community in service and at home.

Cons

You are poor. You will miss your family. You are poor. As a government agency working with volunteers safety and security is a high priority and so often times you may feel as though you are being babied.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!